Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 26-06-2011, 06:48 PM   #31
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Default Re: 5c Coin to be Scrapped???

Is Britain still using the 1 and 2p coins?

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2011, 06:57 PM   #32
Thornie
Off smelting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskeyonesix
I've got a huge jar full of 5c pieces at home. One day I'll bag 'em up and take them to the bank but it's good to count out a pile every so often and take them to the local deli in exchange for a chico roll or something.
It keeps the money in circulation which can only be a good thing

Although in a few years I think physical cash will be none existant anyway. I haven't paid cash for anything in about 2 weeks*

*mainly cos im a tight-fisted pom
A mate of mine collects 5c peices for some dumb reason, he has about 5 of those green enviro bags full you can barely lift the things, he has been collecting them for about 10 years or more now lol.
Thornie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2011, 06:59 PM   #33
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hope to see it go ASAP!

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2011, 08:04 PM   #34
roberts
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige
doesn't look like a conspiracy to me

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eob532iEpqk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDhDr...eature=related
roberts is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2011, 08:19 PM   #35
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtremerus
snip

Name one thing that you can buy for 5 cents.
A kick in the nuts.

Subaru Outback '02
TheInterceptor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2011, 08:30 PM   #36
xtremerus
FG XR6T trayback

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheInterceptor
A kick in the nuts.
I thought that was free
xtremerus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2011, 08:33 PM   #37
xtremerus
FG XR6T trayback

Something it keep in mind.
Quote from the RBA site.

" According to the Reserve Bank Act 1959, Australian banknotes are legal tender. According to the Currency Act 1965, coins are legal tender for payment of amounts which are limited as follows:

* not exceeding 20c if 1c and/or 2c coins are offered (however, it should be noted that these coins have been withdrawn from circulation but are still legal tender);
* not exceeding $5 if any of 5c, 10c, 20c and 50c coins are offered;
* not exceeding 10 times the face value if coins in the range 50c to $10 inclusive are offered; and
* to any value if coins of value greater than $10 are offered."
xtremerus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2011, 08:41 PM   #38
Uncle_Ken
Next upgraded Mk1 Leopard
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always putting some imput into the forums to help or make it a bit easier for others Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

So nothing will cost a Zac anymore, how sad
UK
How 2's: Change rear view mirror, Install backfire valve, Change foam front seats, Install auto transmission cooler, Replace Trans Shift Globe, Remove front door Trim, Paint AU headlights, install door spears, Premium Rear Parcel Shelf, go here...
Uncle_Ken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2011, 11:21 AM   #39
malazn mafia
Boss 335

If they're worth more than 5c, probably get better money as scrap metal
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2011, 11:47 AM   #40
StrokedXT
Banned

Pretty much use a card for everything dont care much for cash so dont need to worry about rounding.
StrokedXT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2011, 12:33 PM   #41
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by roberts
its very clear that we are moving to a cashless society, where you are payed in credits rather than cash (which isnt backed by anything anyway) people are happy to except credits for goods and services which just helps to blur the lines between the credits you worked for and the credits the bank will lend you in the form of a credit card/s. It is sad really that we work currently for legal tender not money, soon just credits. But i will tell you where we are headed from here, you know that cool chip that just appeared on you new bank card well that's a RFID chip, and now for your convenience (because your so busy working hard for your credits to pay with cash and hold up the line) your can just pay-wave for items under a $100 dollars, we have seen the adds. Thats what the RFID chip is for, but why stop there wouldnt it be cool if you didnt need the card at all just the RFID chip. You wouldnt need a wallet you have no cash you have no cards, your to busy for all that anyway. So where to put the chip its a bit small(RFID chips can be made tiny theres one in you dog for rego) we can just implant that in oh lets say your right hand with your next flu shot.
My mother in law has been blowing that horn for years. It's starting to bug me that she could be right. That, or she is listening to too much Alex Jones and Info Wars. lol.

But yeah I forsee a move towards a cashless society and a bigger control of who gets what and who doesn't. In the end we are giving the government more power in letting them implant RFID chips on our person so that they can or cannot allow us to get everyday items. It's a ploy for more control. Think about it.

*puts flame suit on*

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2011, 12:44 PM   #42
Lotte
YE-US! Wait. I don't know

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtremerus
Something it keep in mind.
Quote from the RBA site.

" According to the Reserve Bank Act 1959, Australian banknotes are legal tender. According to the Currency Act 1965, coins are legal tender for payment of amounts which are limited as follows:

* not exceeding 20c if 1c and/or 2c coins are offered (however, it should be noted that these coins have been withdrawn from circulation but are still legal tender);
* not exceeding $5 if any of 5c, 10c, 20c and 50c coins are offered;
* not exceeding 10 times the face value if coins in the range 50c to $10 inclusive are offered; and
* to any value if coins of value greater than $10 are offered."
yup, do you know how many people this law allows me to turn away at the register at coles? Yep, I'm THAT chick that looks at you when you try to pay for something worth 50 bucks all in 20c coins and tells you to get the hell away from.
The Weekender: '06 BF Pursuit, Toxic, lumpy af

Lotte is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2011, 09:37 PM   #43
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

I remember a drunken night where a mate & I paid $40 for pizza delivery in various denomination coins. We videotaped it too, the pizza guy was not happy but there wasn't much he could do about it.

These days my coin routine is pretty much empty the wallet of silver every night into a container, keep the gold, and every six months or so bag the money up and take it to the bank, exchange for notes and buy myself something I've wanted for a while, usually a DVD or something. Most I ever cashed in one run was about $150 - it was NOT fun carrying that much coin to the bank!
Originally Posted by Nikked
Riksta likes VN's so much, he has the ashes of a VN in a jar on the mantle piece, a vile of VN engine oil hanging from his neck and a BT1 build plate locked up in a safe, buried under 6ft of concrete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
pretty much what has happened here is i trolled you. and it was fun.
Riksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2011, 10:12 PM   #44
XESP351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I was at the bank the other day and a bloke walked up to the coin counter with a trolley that had large bags full of coins on it. He proceeded to put the coins in the machine and kept going and going, approximately $8000 later the machine broke and he was waiting for someone to help him with it.....he was probably halfway through the bags....where does someone get so many freaking coins!!!
XESP351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2011, 10:14 PM   #45
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XESP351
I was at the bank the other day and a bloke walked up to the coin counter with a trolley that had large bags full of coins on it. He proceeded to put the coins in the machine and kept going and going, approximately $8000 later the machine broke and he was waiting for someone to help him with it.....he was probably halfway through the bags....where does someone get so many freaking coins!!!

Vending machines??
Old 28-06-2011, 01:15 AM   #46
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by XESP351
Parking Meters . There was news a few years ago some bloke managed to rig some $280,000 from parking meters in Melbourne.
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2011, 09:26 AM   #47
LTDHO
The one and only

I read the reason for scrapping them was the cost to make them, not whether they were used in circulation. Personally I’d like to see them remain. Sure I have a draw of 5 cent pieces here at work, but they add up. If my purchases were rounded up, then that is less money to the consumer.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2011, 11:58 AM   #48
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTDHO
I read the reason for scrapping them was the cost to make them, not whether they were used in circulation. Personally I’d like to see them remain. Sure I have a draw of 5 cent pieces here at work, but they add up. If my purchases were rounded up, then that is less money to the consumer.
Only half are rounded up, the other half are rounded down.

$1.04 => $1.00 a saving of about 3.85%
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2011, 01:48 PM   #49
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thumbs down Re: 5c Coin to be Scrapped???

if they cost too much, start making them out of plastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8
When it is waved in front of a contactless payment reader, users can make purchases of up to $100 without a PIN or a signature..
i'm getting a card reader next time i have to walk around sydney. might pick up a few credit card numbers
Old 30-06-2011, 01:56 PM   #50
LTDHO
The one and only

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Only half are rounded up, the other half are rounded down.

$1.04 => $1.00 a saving of about 3.85%
When would you ever see anything advertised for 1.04?
97 to 98 or 1.06 to 1.09 yeah.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post