Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 17-07-2011, 10:05 AM   #1
cobramania
FPV BFII GT Cobra No.249

Default NSW RTA Extinct.

This is good news for us NSW road users, I heard this morning that as of last Friday the RTA no longer exists, management have gone & a total restructure is under way. NSW Maritime has gone too & both will be integrated, to be called NSW Roads & Maritime Services, all boat regos & licensing will now be done at the old RTA offices, with more front line staff to be employed to cut waiting times. Reviews of speed cameras use & the number of different speed limits is under way as a start.
See this press release for more info. http://www.transport.nsw.gov.au/site...akes_shape.pdf

cobramania is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2011, 10:12 AM   #2
buggo
[BU66OS]

Default Re: NSW RTA Extinct.

When does this all take place? Don't think I saw it in the release.
Will rego, etc cost be the same you reckon?

Mr. Gay

BA XR8 Manual
buggo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2011, 10:37 AM   #3
cobramania
FPV BFII GT Cobra No.249

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggo_gt
When does this all take place? Don't think I saw it in the release.
Will rego, etc cost be the same you reckon?

Mr. Gay
I was half asleep when I heard Duncan talking about it, but I think it's starting to take place now (as of last Friday).
I doubt rego, etc will go down, but without all the dead heavy weight at the top they're less likely to go up.
cobramania is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2011, 10:42 AM   #4
prydey
Rob

sounds like just a change of name.
prydey is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2011, 10:44 AM   #5
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

In Queensland our boat licences have always been linked through the Transport Department...no idea why they would have to make a special department naming both of them. Of course, it allows for a good way to increase beaurocracy...

Interestingly, in Queensland anyway, my qualifications as a locomotive driver are also covered by the Transport Department. Kind of makes sense to start from the beginning administering everything to do with "transport" like boats and cars and bikes through a "Transport Department"...
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2011, 11:22 AM   #6
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

Think you'll find they are also looking at integrating CityRail/CountryRail and the various port groups too.

In the Newcastle papers, they are saying, the Gov plans to bring them all under one roof and then allow decentralised authorities / decisions which will help co-ordinate bus and rail timetables and other transport infrastructure needs.

Could be a very good move if implemented right.

Boss349 built. Not yet run. Waiting on a shell.

Retrotech thread
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1363569&page=6
phillyc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2011, 11:25 AM   #7
ivorya
Mad Scientist!

Nothing will change.
The review will tell them what they already know, speed camera's are a $$$$ exercise and they'll push the saving lifes crap.
Prices will probably rise for the change of name for no real benifit of service.:(
ivorya is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2011, 12:15 PM   #8
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Like all government restructures itll cost millions to impliment and take years to sort out.
The idea has merit though as "transport" should be administered by one department.
One hopes the transitition isnt too painful, but dont expect things to change overnight.

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2011, 03:15 PM   #9
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

Actually a fair bit will change, including some key staff to go. This reform will play out over the next year.

Yes, the NSW speed review is underway, a website to that effect opens soon. Talk of dropping the 70 and 90km/h zones, but we'll see.

NSW coalition had been listening to key advocates regarding RTA arrogance and whatnot.
ORDER FORD AUSTRALIA PART NO: AM6U7J19G329AA. This is a European-UN/AS3790B Spec safety-warning triangle used to give advanced warning to approaching traffic of a vehicle breakdown, or crash scene (to prevent secondary). Stow in the boot area. See your Ford dealer for this $35.95 safety item & when you buy a new Ford, please insist on it! See Page 83, part 4.4.1 http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...eSafePart4.pdf
Keepleft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2011, 03:31 PM   #10
MEANXBCOUPE
injection is nice, but...

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing the Helicoil article 

I had heard rumours of this many months ago, and is a key reason i pushed my coupe through the engineering process sooner than later, rumour was that during the change over period, modfied cars/trucks ect, requiring engineers certificates were going on hold.

Best idea every to pull the system apart and restructure.

Go Mr Gay

Limetime Green '74 XB Coupe- Classic not Plastic.

Blueprint '02 Pursuit 250- Plastic not Classic (yet)

Venom '01 AUII Rebel- RIP. Gone to a better place.

Winter White '12 FG GT 335 R-Spec - something the wife thrashes daily

'05 CRF450X- For getting dirty in the, um, dirt.
MEANXBCOUPE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2011, 03:44 PM   #11
glock40sw
Starter Motor

I think you will find that they will be privatising the driver testing as well in 12 months time.
glock40sw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2011, 03:46 PM   #12
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think NSW is the last of the eastern states to integrate cars and boats. Vicroads do boat regos and licences, goes to reason maybe in future you can have just one plastic card for all your licences printed on it and imbedded in the stripe or chip. Waterways NSW take 6 weeks to get your plastic boat licence to you in the mail after passing the test, an interim licence is issued on paper with your own passport photos.
Old 17-07-2011, 03:53 PM   #13
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

Quote:
Mr Gay said a new body to be called NSW Roads and Maritime Services would build and maintain roads; conduct driving tests; issue licences and registrations; and oversee harbours and waterways.

“Twelve weeks ago, when we announced the start of this process, I said the RTA would not be the same organisation and today’s announcement bears that out – in fact, there is no longer an RTA,” Mr Gay said.
Old and New Organisational Structure:-
http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/newsevents...-structure.pdf

Ministerial Media Release from Friday, 17 July 11
http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/newsevents...rt-for-nsw.pdf
ORDER FORD AUSTRALIA PART NO: AM6U7J19G329AA. This is a European-UN/AS3790B Spec safety-warning triangle used to give advanced warning to approaching traffic of a vehicle breakdown, or crash scene (to prevent secondary). Stow in the boot area. See your Ford dealer for this $35.95 safety item & when you buy a new Ford, please insist on it! See Page 83, part 4.4.1 http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...eSafePart4.pdf
Keepleft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2011, 05:41 PM   #14
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keepleft

Thankis for the links!

Retrotech thread
Old 17-07-2011, 05:42 PM   #15
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Think the RTA waiting times are bad go into QLD transport, they could make a number plate there while you wait.
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2011, 05:51 PM   #16
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by glock40sw
I think you will find that they will be privatising the driver testing as well in 12 months time.
Well, the knowledge test for all NSW licences is held at what was the RTA. The driver (practical) test was done by an RTA officer for the car only. Which is the vast bulk of licences.

The practical test for my Heavy Rigid Truck licence was done by the instructor. He had to ring the RTA and state a time of day and location for the test. Then we did the drive and he said whether or not I had it according to his marking pad. Effectively, it meant we could be followed by an RTA officer (without us knowing) or the test could be done with the RTA officer in the passenger seat.

The practical test for my Motorcycle licence was conducted in a similar manner. The group would ride off and the instructor / assessor said whether or not you passed as long as the road test and on course practical was completed to the requried standard.

Retrotech thread
Old 17-07-2011, 06:26 PM   #17
SEZ213
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always puts a good amount of thought into his posts and voices his ideas and opinions in a well thought out and constructive manner. I have certainly seen many threads where his input has been constructive to the topic and overall the forum has benfited f 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keepleft

So does that mean it's just an organisational restructure, ergo, only management positions will be affected, and the customer service staff will remain, or are they downsizing the operation completely?

From the link you gave, it seems like a more streamlined org structure as opposed to the old one, and I did read the media release regarding duplication, which should save them some time with regard to policy, improve customer service, etc...but I'm keen on your thoughts, is it likely that there will be a change in how the departments operate (except obviously under a new name)...?

Continually having a battle of wits with unarmed opponents.

Sez

Photo's by Sez
SEZ213 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2011, 09:56 PM   #18
The G6ET Spot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It doesn't matter what they call it. It will probably still be run by a bunch of incompetent buffoons.

My father in law was manager with the original DMT (in the day) before being combined with the DMR to become RTA. Retired in 1998 (36 years of service) after numerous run ins with the powers to be, even back then.

The stories he tells me what goes on would curl anyones hair.
The G6ET Spot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2011, 11:27 AM   #19
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
sounds like just a change of name.
that's usually the meat of it.
like the "dept of public prosecutions and attorney general" was changed to the "attorney general and dept of public prosecutions". no really.
Old 18-07-2011, 12:51 PM   #20
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

By review of speed cameras they mean they will find ways to make more money from them
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2011, 01:02 PM   #21
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie muscle
like the "dept of public prosecutions and attorney general" was changed to the "attorney general and dept of public prosecutions". no really.
My wife works for centrelink which is now actually part of DH&S....found out as my emails were bouncing back..LOL

Same poo different smell.
Polyal is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2011, 03:37 PM   #22
#Russ#Es#
Hello Koni's!

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: This member has made a few valuable contributions to the Forum in the Focus section, seems to know exactly what he is talking about with his posts, which are helpful and concise. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie muscle
Just as bad as the change from Transport NSW to Transport for NSW...I know that some buses have to be repainted, plus all of the other admin changes that take place.

Seems like its just to add another point to the 100 Day Plan...
Lower airbox removed, K&N Panel filter
Momo gear knob + boot + pedals, Ghia boot garnish, Zetec Chrome interior door handles
JVC KW-XR816 Headunit + more to come...

#Russ#Es# is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2011, 04:21 PM   #23
dimka100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If they drop the 70km/h and 90km/h speed limits they will simply replace them with 60km/h and 80km/h LOL

Review of speed cameras will probably resolve in the removal of a few speed cameras and huge news being made about it while at the same time the introduction of even more safety cameras quietly LOL

All in all don’t expect any change as all the dead wood will stay, and don’t expect things to get cheaper as restructures are very expensive LOL

Good times ahead …
dimka100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2011, 07:55 PM   #24
ltd
Force Fed Fords

It's a step in the right direction. The arrogance and stupidity of the RTA has been astounding; just ask anyone stuck on the F3 heading north after an accident, and it takes some lazy fatso in the RTA 9 hours to organise a contra-flow.
Needs a shake up and has done so for years, clear out all of the deadwood and "jobs for the boys" appointees who in fact do nothing.

Quote: