The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 14-03-2012, 01:10 PM   #1
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Default Audi to buy Ducati?

Quote:
Audi Said in Talks to Buy Italian Luxury Motorcycle Maker Ducati
By Chad Thomas - Mar 12, 2012

Audi AG (NSU) is in talks to buy Ducati Motor Holding SpA (DMH), the maker of luxury motorbikes ridden by celebrities such as Brad Pitt, from owner Investindustrial SpA, according to two people familiar with the matter.

Audi, which has the right of first refusal on a purchase until mid-April, is considering a total price of about 850 million euros ($1.12 billion) for the Italian company, which would include assuming some 800 million euros in liabilities, said one of the people, who declined to be identified discussing private negotiations.

Volkswagen AG (VOW) Chairman Ferdinand Piech first publicly expressed interest in buying Ducati in April 2008, eventually losing out to current owner Investindustrial. Purchasing Ducati would add a motorcycle maker to VW’s nine brands, which include the Audi, Skoda and Lamborghini auto marques as well as heavy truckmakers Scania AB and MAN SE. Ducati would complement Audi’s luxury-car lineup with products such as the $28,000 Superbike 1199 Panigale S Tricolore.

“You really have to push the envelope to see obvious benefits for a car company to own a motorcycle business,” said Erich Hauser, a London-based analyst at Credit Suisse Group AG. One could be forgiven for seeing this as “just another attempt by VW in empire building,” he said.

Investindustrial, a Milan-based private equity company, may hold an initial public offering of Ducati in Hong Kong this year or sell it to a rival, two people familiar with the plans said last month. Ducati was delisted from the Milan exchange in 2008.
Ducati Interest

Audi must still do due diligence on the potential deal, the people said. Christine Ritz, head of VW investor relations, said the carmaker doesn’t comment on market speculation. A spokesman for Investindustrial declined to comment on the matter when contacted by Bloomberg.

Hero MotoCorp Ltd. (HMCL), India’s biggest motorcycle maker, said March 5 that Ducati is one of the assets it’s examining as it looks for acquisitions to expand overseas. Bayerische Motoren Werke AG (BMW), which already makes motorcycles under the BMW brand, said last month it’s not interested in Ducati.

Volkswagen Chief Executive Officer Martin Winterkorn said yesterday at the carmaker’s annual meeting that he keeps his eyes open to what’s for sale on the market, when asked about whether VW was interested in buying Ducati.

U.K. automotive magazine CAR first reported the discussions between Audi and Ducati.
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-0...er-ducati.html

It seems VAG are wanting to build an empire to take over the world. Goodluck to them

Old 14-03-2012, 01:22 PM   #2
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Default Re: Audi to buy Ducati?

Has Audi helped Lamborghini? Perhaps its more profitable, and there cars are hardly boring, but they are very safe, very Audi. To me Audi is the Euro equivalent of Toyota.

Great cars lacking soul.

Im not saying Lambo's are boring, far from it, and they do usually bring out 2WD version off all their cars so thats ok. Of course I have little to base that on other than a feeling. But my point is that if such a deal was to go ahead then hopefully the culture of the brand is kept intact.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2012, 01:45 PM   #3
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

BMW builds bikes.. competition if Audi buy Ducati!!! Honda, Suzuki also build cars and bikes...it will be interesting to see how this goes...
Old 14-03-2012, 04:59 PM   #4
wrongwaynorris
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Italian passion will dissapear German teutonic efficiency will take over . Within a decade Ducati will be soleless.
Old 14-03-2012, 05:10 PM   #5
stevanford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrongwaynorris
Italian passion will dissapear German teutonic efficiency will take over . Within a decade Ducati will be soleless.
They said the same thing about Lamborghini...
stevanford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2012, 05:14 PM   #6
MethodX
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevanford
They said the same thing about Lamborghini...
And it happened, Lambo are now the fanboy special with cars that all look the same.
I pray this doesnt happen, Italy needs to keep its own.
MethodX is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2012, 05:46 PM   #7
Till_Lind
E-series fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
Has Audi helped Lamborghini? Perhaps its more profitable, and there cars are hardly boring, but they are very safe, very Audi. To me Audi is the Euro equivalent of Toyota.

Great cars lacking soul.

Im not saying Lambo's are boring, far from it, and they do usually bring out 2WD version off all their cars so thats ok. Of course I have little to base that on other than a feeling. But my point is that if such a deal was to go ahead then hopefully the culture of the brand is kept intact.
To me I feel VW is the German Toyota, but with heaps better interiors to be sure.
Old 14-03-2012, 05:58 PM   #8
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What the article doesn't say is that Piech is a big Ducatti nut and actually owns a couple. I'm sure he will push for this acquisition.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2012, 06:00 PM   #9
dimka100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Why not look at yamaha instead? they actually make better engines and have the experience building a number of car engines or some aspects of them (e.g. heads)
dimka100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2012, 11:17 PM   #10
SteveJH
No longer a Uni student..

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimka100
Why not look at yamaha instead? they actually make better engines and have the experience building a number of car engines or some aspects of them (e.g. heads)
Because Yamaha isnt European?

Yamaha is also a MUCH larger company than Ducati.

Current:
2012 Ford Focus Sport - Petrol/Manual/Black
SteveJH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2012, 11:49 AM   #11
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8
BMW builds bikes.. competition if Audi buy Ducati!!! Honda, Suzuki also build cars and bikes...it will be interesting to see how this goes...
I see your logic, if BMW can do it, why not Audi?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MethodX
I pray this doesnt happen, Italy needs to keep its own.
I tend to agree with you, but which Italian companies have that kind of cash?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrongwaynorris
Perhaps! Which is why you need to buy a Ducati now. LOL! I actually own a 2001 Monster 900S i.e. Awesome fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen
What the article doesn't say is that Piech is a big Ducatti nut and actually owns a couple. I'm sure he will push for this acquisition.
So let's say the acquisition goes through. Would Piech would be hard pressed to ensure that the soul of Ducati over time stays intact?

OR

Perhaps he's just the kind of Ducati nut to ensure that the acquisition takes place, but with Ducati having total control over the design process etc.

Interesting times ahead.

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post