Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 16-09-2012, 07:38 PM   #1
Ford Falcon XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Preventive maintenance: Doesn't always work

Hey everyone i had a little bit of bad luck on the way home from work the other day my car ended up blowing the hose from the heater bypass pipe to the heater tap pics below. The hose must have blown on my way to work without my knowing then when i went to drive home the car got very hot very quickly. I replaced all these hoses 12 months ago with gates hoses as i like doing preventive maintenance.
Long story short i took the car back to work and replaced the hose and pressure tested the cooling system which was all good. But now my car doesn't seem to get any pressure in the cooling system even after a half hour drive to work (with some spirted driving) Any ideas why the could be ?? There is not noticeable coolant usage but i have done a whole lot of driving since this happend. Thanks in advance Lorenz.

Ford Falcon XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-09-2012, 07:44 PM   #2
Pinkbits
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Preventive maintenance: Doesn't always work

If there's no pressure in the cooling system then it has to have a leak somewhere.
Have you had it pressure tested?
I would also be replacing the heater tap as they break down internally.
Pinkbits is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-09-2012, 07:55 PM   #3
BHDOGS
Banned

I'd check the coolant bottle for tiny leaks underneath
BHDOGS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-09-2012, 08:01 PM   #4
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

No noticeable coolant usage indicates no leaks.

Might need to bleed the air from the system.....I know BA's are a PITA to bleed properly

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
svo supporter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-09-2012, 11:00 PM   #5
Ford Falcon XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It has been pressure tested and has no leaks or loss of pressure i've also replaced the heater tap. I'll have another go at bleeding the air out of the system tomorow then give it another pressure test. Thanks for the input
Old 16-09-2012, 11:20 PM   #6
Pepscobra
Call me dirt... Joe Dirt

How do you bleed the system properly out of curiosity?
I need to do a coolant change soon myself.
2007 BFII FPV Cobra Ute|Boss 302|6M|#23/100
Mods so far:
Billet Products Shifter|X-Force Exhaust|Herrod Oil Breathers|Whiteline Sway Bar|Tein SuperStreets|Kings FOR-303SL Rear Springs|Melling Oil Pump|Mace Manifold Spacers|Powerbond Underdrives|Pacemaker Headers|Ballistic Cats|XFT Custom Tune @ 308.3rwkw|DBA T3 Rotors|Ferodo Pads|Goodridge Braided Lines
Mods to come:
4.11 Diff Gears|Chromoly Tailshaft
I use & recommend:
Castrol|Motorcraft|Mainlube|Penrite

Check Out My Build Thread
Pepscobra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-09-2012, 06:24 PM   #7
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

did you check your radiator cap?, don`t forget to turn the heater on and run the car for a while, then recheck for the next few days the fluid level incase any air is expelled/bled out.

Last edited by mik; 17-09-2012 at 06:30 PM. Reason: add
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-09-2012, 06:56 PM   #8
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepscobra
How do you bleed the system properly out of curiosity?
I need to do a coolant change soon myself.

I'm going by a real crappy memory.....Leave the radiator cap off and have the car idling until all the air is out (keeping the water level topped up via a funnel).....Then increase the revs slightly and repeat until the air is removed.....It can take upto 1/2 hour to bleed properly.

As I first said, this is going by a real crappy memory, as it's been about 4 years since I have had to do one.

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
svo supporter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-09-2012, 10:00 PM   #9
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

Is the car getting up to running temp? If your thermostat has packed it in then it could have jambed shut which caused the pipe to blow but now may be stuck open which would mean the car doesn't get warm so doesn't create any pressure.

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-09-2012, 10:27 PM   #10
Ford Falcon XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Gave the car another bleed today and seems to be getting pressure as normal now must have had a bit of air in it thanks for the advice. I bled the system as svo said
Old 17-09-2012, 10:58 PM   #11
AUFanboy

That's odd, looks like a clean slit in the one year old hose. Was the cut on the bottom side of the hose? Almost looks like some asshat crawled under and cut it...
AUFanboy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-09-2012, 10:59 PM   #12
Day-mow
rexnet

as a diesel mechanic i'd just like to say preventative maintenance is a lot better then reactive maintenance.

Remember it is the internet,So beware of trolls, If you argue with trolls the kids will laugh at you

Follow me on twitter @ Day_mow
Day-mow is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-09-2012, 09:47 PM   #13
Ford Falcon XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The thought of someone cutting the hose did cross my mind but they would have had a hard time getting under my car. The cut was on the underside of the hose maybe something hit it but it is a pretty clean slice. Or someone doesnt like me !!
Old 18-09-2012, 10:00 PM   #14
BigCav
OzFalcon.com.au

even something as simple as the store you bought it from cutting opening the box it came in can put a minor nick in the surface that killed it over time?
BigCav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2012, 02:57 PM   #15
peterljohnson55

[QUOTE=AUFanboy]That's odd, looks like a clean slit in the one year old hose. QUOTE]

Has me worried as I have just bought a complete set of Gates hoses for 'preventative maintenance' service. What's the chance ..... ?

Are Gates' products reliable?
peterljohnson55 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2012, 12:54 PM   #16
AUFanboy

[quote=peterljohnson55]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AUFanboy
That's odd, looks like a clean slit in the one year old hose. QUOTE]

Has me worried as I have just bought a complete set of Gates hoses for 'preventative maintenance' service. What's the chance ..... ?

Are Gates' products reliable?
They have a good name and I've used a few gates products in past with no issues. They'll be a better bet than then 10+ year old originals!
AUFanboy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post