Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 24-11-2012, 09:29 PM   #1
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Think you got problems with the roads authorities???

Well usually when I see some weird stuff its the USA... but this is a beauty from China. (please try and withhold the commie comments)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...use-China.html

Won't sell up? Enjoy living in the middle of a motorway! Road is built around a house after elderly Chinese couple refuse to move

An elderly couple refuse to move as a road is built around their apartment
They insist the government's relocation compensation is not enough

By Alex Ward

PUBLISHED: 10:27 GMT, 22 November 2012 | UPDATED: 16:18 GMT, 22 November 2012

A lone apartment building stands in the middle of a newly built road after an elderly couple refused to relocate.

Luo Baogen and his wife insist on living in the half-demolished building in the city of Wenling, in Zhejiang province, China because they believe that the relocation compensation offered by the government is not enough.

Now the only building left standing, the five storey block is a strange sight as cars drive around it while the couple remain living inside.
An elderly couple refused to leave despite plans for the road a railway station to be built directly where the building stands

An elderly couple refused to leave despite plans for the road a railway station to be built directly where the building stands

To ensure the couple’s safety, adjacent rooms in the building have been left intact but all their neighbours have moved out, according to local media.

The road paved through the Xiazhangyang village leads to the Wenling railway station and is yet to be officially opened.

Mr Baogen and his wife believe that the compensation on offer would not be enough to cover their rebuilding costs.

In the People's Republic of China, during most of the Communist era, private ownership of property was abolished, making it easy for residents to be moved on - but now the laws have been tightened up and it is illegal to demolish property by force without an agreement.
The couple refused to movebecause they believed the relocation compensation offered by the government was not enough

Not enough to move: The couple refused to move because they believed the relocation compensation offered by the government was not enough
Luo Baogen looks out on the new road to the city's railway station which is yet to be officially opened

Room with a view: Luo Baogen looks out on the new road which is yet to be officially opened from the apartment building where all his neighbours moved out

Property owners in China that refuse to move to make way for development are known as 'Nail Householders' referring to a stubborn nail that is not easy to remove from a piece of old wood and cannot be pulled out with a hammer.

Earlier this year, Hong Chunqin, 75, and her husband Kung, who live in the two dilapidated buildings with their two sons, had initially agreed to sell the property in Taizhou, in Zhejiang province and accepted £8,000 in compensation.

But then she changed her mind and refunded the money once work on the road had started.

Proof: Mr Baogen stands in front of his home holding the certificate that states he owns the land beneath it, meaning that he and his wife can't be forced to move away

Folorn: Mr Baogen looks wistfully across his new scenery, the tarmac from the new road waving haphazardly along the side of the building and demarcating the homeowner's land

Calm before the storm: The balcony from Mr Baogen's home looks peaceful now, but this is all likely to change shortly when the motorway surrounding the property is opened to traffic
Thinking laterally: When Mr Baogen refused to vacate his property, which was right in the middle of a planned route for a new motorway, the road builders refused to let this get in the way

Thinking laterally: When Mr Baogen refused to vacate his property, which was right in the middle of a planned route for a new motorway, the road builders refused to let this get in the way

The long road home: The house that appears to be plonked in the middle of a motorway is likely to prove an unusual landmark for passing motorists

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz2D86rLY1f
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 24-11-2012, 09:34 PM   #2
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Default Re: Think you got problems with the roads authorities???

I'm surprised he wasn't deported to North korea and executed for his insolence against the fatherland.

On another note, bonus points for the Ford in the photos. This is a Ford Forum after all...

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2012, 09:47 PM   #3
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior View Post

On another note, bonus points for the Ford in the photos. This is a Ford Forum after all...
well I try to have some sort of Ford content...

Old 24-11-2012, 10:50 PM   #4
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior View Post
I'm surprised he wasn't deported to North korea and executed for his insolence against the fatherland.

Would have been interesting to see what would have happened to him if this road was being built 10 years ago.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2012, 11:49 PM   #5
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You don't have to go to China. There was a similar situation in Rockhampton 30 years ago when a new shopping center was being built and on home owner refused to sell.

Her ended up living in the middle of a car park.

I just went looking for it but it appears the whole centre has been rebuilt and the house is gone.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2012, 11:59 PM   #6
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Begin paving the road before securing all the land in the way. Obviously the smartest thing to do.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2012, 12:23 AM   #7
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Awesome.
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2012, 01:06 AM   #8
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

I don't get why they didn't just curve around the property with both lanes, they have the space. Prob just the government saving face.....

Could be the smartest move they made, think of the advertising money that place can now generate!

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......

Last edited by Yellow_Festiva; 25-11-2012 at 01:13 AM.
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2012, 02:03 AM   #9
ea90gl
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

LOL, "Hello sir, I'll have the number 27, and number 16 with some fried rice. House is in the middle of the highway, the delivery boy can't miss it"
ea90gl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 25-11-2012, 10:30 AM   #10
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist View Post
You don't have to go to China. There was a similar situation in Rockhampton 30 years ago when a new shopping center was being built and on home owner refused to sell.

Her ended up living in the middle of a car park.

I just went looking for it but it appears the whole centre has been rebuilt and the house is gone.
Same sorta thing was about to happen in Townsville.
Many years ago Stockland wanted to expand is shopping center (instead of goin up, its design was going OUT!..)
So they bought some 20 or so blocks of land, paid millions to kick people out, as well as other shops, all except one family on a corner.

This guy and his family have lived there for 30 odd yrs and was always a bit weird (I can recall him having a 7 foot mesh fence when i was a kid). He refused to sell up and was offered nearly $1.4million and refused to go!

His house now has a 6ft concrete wall all the way around it... and no neighbours!... all the homes/ shops were left abandonned as Stocklands didnt go ahead with its expansion (almost sent it broke here).

Old 25-11-2012, 10:56 AM   #11
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Huh, if you want to talk "communist", then how about the way the government here just walks in and resumes your property when they decide they need it for something?
I have always said, "your home isn't your castle". You're just looking after your land/house until the government decides they need it for something like a highway, national park, or whatever else they want to build or do. Look at the people, for instance, down the Gold Coast who had lived in their houses for fifty years who simply had to move out and go for a highway to be built.
Oh, you'll dig your heels in and say you want a million dollars? No you won't...they only have to offer you fair market value, and then it's out the door (with help if necessary...) and see ya later. You say you'll fight for your property in court? Guess whose side the law is on...here's a tip...it isn't you.

I think the big difference in that case in Townsville is that it is a private company trying to get you out...then you have to go through court and the business has to put a case that removing you is somehow in the public good. If it's a government, whatever they do is in the public good so you are behind the eight ball from the start. If that Townsville case had been a government complex, the guy with the big fence be long gone...

I am honestly surprised that they wouldn't move that house in China...but then I've also seen rural people there dig their heels in and refuse to be moved from their small farms to make room for factories, and they win, getting things built around them.

Sad to think that big bad old communist China may actually have a few more freedoms for its citizens than we do...
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 25-11-2012, 11:38 AM   #12
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E View Post
Sad to think that big bad old communist China may actually have a few more freedoms for its citizens than we do...
True, but how long would the owner want to live there?
Imagine once the road is open the utter chaos of cars and trucks around his home just inches away... not to mention the power pole in the road.

He may have won the battle, but still lost the war sadly.

Governments no matter where or who make incredibly stupid decisions when it comes to planning (or lack thereof).... if they want you gone, they will get around it.... or build around it!

Look at how farmers have no right of refusal here in regards to mining or CSG companies entering their property.

Old 25-11-2012, 12:16 PM   #13
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Huh, if you want to talk "communist", then how about the way the government here just walks in and resumes your property when they decide they need it for something?
I have always said, "your home isn't your castle". You're just looking after your land/house until the government decides they need it for something like a highway, national park, or whatever else they want to build or do. Look at the people, for instance, down the Gold Coast who had lived in their houses for fifty years who simply had to move out and go for a highway to be built.
Oh, you'll dig your heels in and say you want a million dollars? No you won't...they only have to offer you fair market value, and then it's out the door (with help if necessary...) and see ya later. You say you'll fight for your property in court? Guess whose side the law is on...here's a tip...it isn't you.

I think the big difference in that case in Townsville is that it is a private company trying to get you out...then you have to go through court and the business has to put a case that removing you is somehow in the public good. If it's a government, whatever they do is in the public good so you are behind the eight ball from the start. If that Townsville case had been a government complex, the guy with the big fence be long gone...

I am honestly surprised that they wouldn't move that house in China...but then I've also seen rural people there dig their heels in and refuse to be moved from their small farms to make room for factories, and they win, getting things built around them.

all true mate, and to ad to the "your castle is`nt your castle in oz", i love the way you can buy your land overgrown with bush, then be knocked back from clearing said land because it does`nt fit in with council guidelines,
in the article above at the least the guy stood his ground and kept his house, even if he loses out in the end, they have`nt had police force him out.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2012, 03:48 PM   #14
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

Quote:

Oh so true. And if you have a farm and there happens to be some gas under it. Say bye bye to your prime grazing land!!
This user likes this post:
Old 25-11-2012, 05:54 PM   #15
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

a local car yard was expanding but one home owner wouldn't sell so they built on all 3 sides of him so he is surrounded by a car yard

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2012, 06:16 PM   #16
Stagg
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

ahahahahahahahahaha love it!!!

Angry elderley couple and chinese government.... What happens when you have an unstoppable force collide with an immovable object, you get an incredibly dangerous spot for a house and also depending on the speed limit, I can see a lot of cars hitting that wall head on and most likely eventually slowly destroying the building anyway
Old 25-11-2012, 06:51 PM   #17
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

looking at that piccy now , i`m thinking they could throw up a few roundabout signs and a bit of curbing... hey presto every body wins .
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2012, 01:40 PM   #18
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

He could work for local radio station doing traffic reports..
He better not leave the house !! A few tanks coming down the road can do havoc on anything in the way !!!Esp if they drove like S. Morris..
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2012, 02:17 PM   #19
ford71V8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ea90gl View Post
LOL, "Hello sir, I'll have the number 27, and number 16 with some fried rice. House is in the middle of the highway, the delivery boy can't miss it"

haha

I read the start of this post as they will turn their home into a drive-thru chinese takeaway
ford71V8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2012, 07:27 PM   #20
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford71V8 View Post
haha

I read the start of this post as they will turn their home into a drive-thru chinese takeaway
or he could put in boom gates and charge a toll !!!! lol

Old 27-11-2012, 09:44 AM   #21
Stazza_Brendan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I wish they would build roads that nice here
ZF - Optioned interior - Hardlid - Rapidsystems V4.5 kit - GTX3576R - Crow Cams Valve springs - 1000cc KPM injectors - 20" MC Racing Wheels - DashDaq/Cobalt Gauges - 4in dump/3.5in exhaust system - Shockworks Coilovers - 30mm Swaybar - Shockworks 4pot 355mm front brakes - GT R-spec rear brakes
CPV Tuned to 340rwkw
Stazza_Brendan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2012, 11:10 PM   #22
duaned
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There was also one in the UK that sits between the M62 carriageways as well by memory. Similar situation, but not to the extent of the chinese nail householder above.
duaned is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2012, 11:41 PM   #23
dave351cid
playing in my big shed

i just watched a show on ABC about Cambodia and the way they treat their residents when development wants the land.
30 tonne excavators and a riot squad are pretty persuasive.
`04 BA XR6 Turbo sedan. Blueprint. auto, Leather trim.
`03 BA XLS ute . Acid Rush, factory lpg, auto,
`48 TEA20 Grey Ferguson,
`62 Willys 6-230 , 4x4 light truck
`04 Yamaha TTR 250
dave351cid is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2012, 10:02 AM   #24
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 

ABC news24 this morning are reporting the owner has now accepted a uprated offer of the equivelent of $41,000usd & 2 plots of land. Everyones happy now lol!

cheers, Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2012, 11:37 PM   #25
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva View Post
I don't get why they didn't just curve around the property with both lanes, they have the space. Prob just the government saving face.....

Could be the smartest move they made, think of the advertising money that place can now generate!
I bet they are planning on when he gets sick of the noise and sells, then the just repave that section.
Old 02-12-2012, 11:48 PM   #26
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maka View Post
ABC news24 this morning are reporting the owner has now accepted a uprated offer of the equivelent of $41,000usd & 2 plots of land. Everyones happy now lol!

cheers, Maka
Yea they showed on the news tonight the house was being demolished.