Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 12-01-2013, 06:43 PM   #1
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Exclamation Wrong Wheel Locknuts put on car by Dealer!!!

Five and half years ago I bought a new car. I had lock nuts put on by the dealer. In that time the dealer has changed the tyres twice.
Today,the car got a puncture and RACQ said "the lock nuts are illegal as they aren't tapered" .
When I took the tyre in to get repaired ,I asked the tyre shop ,if the RACQ was right ? and they are.
So, interesting !! if I had an accident, would I have been covered ???
Car now has correct lock nuts on it.

Old 12-01-2013, 06:46 PM   #2
MNM96
LIFELONG DJR SUPPORTER

Default Re: Wrong Wheel Locknuts put on car by Dealer!!!

If, how, where, when, what?

Who cares, you are all safe, and thankfully, never had to find out the reality of your question.
MNM96 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 13-01-2013, 12:53 AM   #3
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Never heard of an accident happening from one out of five wheels nuts not being correct.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2013, 12:59 AM   #4
Kryton

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6 Martin View Post
Never heard of an accident happening from one out of five wheels nuts not being correct.
Exactly.
You could even remove 1 wheel nut from each wheel and still nothing would happen.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2013, 08:48 AM   #5
dieseltrain79
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think he is saying , the fact the wheel nuts were illegal , may have voided insurance ?

That's how I read it .

1991 Toyota Soarer TT - 11.72 @ 116.7mph

2004 Ford Escape XLT V6 - Family Ride .
dieseltrain79 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2013, 09:17 AM   #6
mike_nofx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The way I understand it, and i well may be wrong, but insurance would only be voided if the accident was a result (or it contributed) of the illegal part?
mike_nofx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 13-01-2013, 09:28 AM   #7
bangm001
Mopar! But Own F6's..

What type of car was it?
All of my falcons (Ba onwards) have tapered locknuts from factory.
Old 13-01-2013, 10:04 AM   #8
Simple6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Tech article on rear bushes. 

What's a tapered wheel nut? Is it just the 10mm or so area tapered at the end that sits in the wheel?
Old 13-01-2013, 11:07 AM   #9
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There is no laws that dictate what wheel nuts a car has to have, thus it cant be 'illegal' if the wrong ones are used.
However there are rules that govern what wheel nuts should be used, but unknowingly having the wrong ones will not suddenly void your insurance, even if it could be somehow linked to an accident occuring.

Ive known of an accident where the cause was bald tyres, and the insurance still payed out. Why? The driver claimed they did not know the tyres were bald, they also claimed they were not an expert in tyres and didnt know what the difference between a roadworthy tyre and unroadworthy ones was. Also they argued the car was serviced a few months earlier and the condition of the tyres werent mentioned.

If the insurance company cant prove that they knew you were driving a defective vehicle, it is very hard for them to void a claim based on that.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2013, 12:03 PM   #10
duaned
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sorry to go a little off topic, but does anyone find that their factory locknut key does not fit the spanner that comes as part of the scissor jack? Mine sure as hell doesn't!
duaned is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2013, 12:36 PM   #11
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Time to bring in CSi for this........LOL.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2013, 01:00 PM   #12
MercurySilver
Isn't it obvious?
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by duaned View Post
Sorry to go a little off topic, but does anyone find that their factory locknut key does not fit the spanner that comes as part of the scissor jack? Mine sure as hell doesn't!
all good here
MercurySilver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2013, 01:18 PM   #13
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6 Martin View Post
There is no laws that dictate what wheel nuts a car has to have, thus it cant be 'illegal' if the wrong ones are used.

There is a law governing wheel nuts.....The wheel nuts must have the correct taper of the wheel to enable them to hold the wheel in situ, without them coming undone due to driving.

In the case of an accident and subsequent insurance claim.....The problem then arises trying to prove that the owner knew the wheel nuts were the wrong ones....So this then makes it a very grey area for the insurance company to reject the claim based on the wrong wheel nuts being used.

In the case of the OP's....The number of cars I see with the wrong wheel nut fitted adds upto plenty....Why the dealership didn't say anything is maybe due to the mechanics not having direct contact with you, therefore making it difficult to mention you have the wrong locknut.

Of course there is the flip side, where they failed to write it on the report for it to be mentioned.....

My suggestion for this whole scenario is, replace the locknuts with the correct tapered ones...It'll save the problem of them working loose and having to replace them due to them falling off and you loosing them.

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
svo supporter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2013, 01:33 PM   #14
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

svo supporter..correct wheel nuts are on the car, now,,,,I know 1 out of 5 being wrong wouldn't affect the cars handling etc but insurance companies can be so pedantic. Just look at the Queensland flood claims..I posted out of interest....
Old 13-01-2013, 09:18 PM   #15
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So many insurance experts on this forum love it.

A few years of working in insurance claims. Got to laugh.
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 14-01-2013, 07:21 AM   #16
GTP534
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I had to take a front wheel off the GTP earlier this year; the spanner fitted the lock nut but did not fit the other 4 nuts. Ended up using the spanner from the Territory, it fitted the other 4 nuts but not the lock nut. When I sold her (after 9 years of ownership) I did let the new owner know.
Old 14-01-2013, 08:51 AM   #17
LTDHO
The one and only

Lock nuts are a waste of time/money anyway.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2013, 03:04 PM   #18
superfly
Go the Hogster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTDHO View Post
Lock nuts are a waste of time/money anyway.
I ended up taking mine off as it also looked stupid having one longer wheel nut than the other 4.
Old 17-03-2013, 08:32 PM   #19
jamesson1980
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sorry to dig up a 3 month old thread, but I aint gonna start something new just for what is hopefully a simple question.

The lock nuts that come on the car from factory (in my case, 2009 FG XR6), are these all the same from one car to the next? Is there just 5 or 10 different ones? Or are they mostly all different from each other?

I never thought of it whilst I had the 17's on but I recently upgraded to some 19" Dark Agents (which look outstanding) and it made me wonder if any scumbag with access to a few spare FG lock nut keys could get them off.. It especially occurred to me as I pulled into home tonight to see a pair of really seedy looking characters lurking on my street.. they glared at me as I pulled in and then as the roller door came down, I looked back out to the street to see one of them at my letterbox craning his neck around to see the situation inside my garage.. I've never seen anyone admire a car that fiercely so I'm thinking they might be visualising the next weeks drugs being paid for by my wheels

Thanks in advance to anyone who knows

2009 FG XR6, Ego Paint, Darkest possible tint, Sunroof, Black Vic number plates. No performance mods. Born To Be Mild
jamesson1980 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2013, 09:30 PM   #20
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
factory tube spanner is a chrome nut chewing load of crap..

13/16 socket and breaker bar ftw
pottery beige is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2013, 09:38 PM   #21
Ibanezteve
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Spark plug socket and ratchet for sure, heaps quicker and easier on the arms
Ibanezteve is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2013, 09:50 PM   #22
Mr G8
Maximum Derek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibanezteve View Post
Spark plug socket and ratchet for sure, heaps quicker and easier on the arms
That's what I used!

2008 FG XT 6 Speed
18's, Tint, ZF Conversion, LED Conversion, Exhaust.
Mr G8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2013, 10:39 PM   #23
my_gxl
Unintended Perfectionist

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesson1980 View Post
Sorry to dig up a 3 month old thread, but I aint gonna start something new just for what is hopefully a simple question.

The lock nuts that come on the car from factory (in my case, 2009 FG XR6), are these all the same from one car to the next? Is there just 5 or 10 different ones? Or are they mostly all different from each other?

I never thought of it whilst I had the 17's on but I recently upgraded to some 19" Dark Agents (which look outstanding) and it made me wonder if any scumbag with access to a few spare FG lock nut keys could get them off.. It especially occurred to me as I pulled into home tonight to see a pair of really seedy looking characters lurking on my street.. they glared at me as I pulled in and then as the roller door came down, I looked back out to the street to see one of them at my letterbox craning his neck around to see the situation inside my garage.. I've never seen anyone admire a car that fiercely so I'm thinking they might be visualising the next weeks drugs being paid for by my wheels

My car was stolen last year, and the buggers stole my breaker bar, socket, and lock nut tool.

I have purchased the car back, then had to come up with a way to get my wheel off (which strangely weren't stolen).

I have an old lock nut tool that doesn't fit anything else i have, but the beauty of it is that its hardened steel. A nice lump hammer and portable 18V rattle gun made short work of them.

If they want your wheels they will get them. Lock nuts only deter some theives.
my_gxl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2013, 11:01 PM   #24
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesson1980 View Post

Every locknut maker only has a few variations on how many locknut keys are available.....

Locknuts are only deterants

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
svo supporter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post