Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 15-06-2013, 11:15 AM   #31
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Default Re: How can I get the phone number of the person who is prank calling me??

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP 044 View Post
The thing that annoys me is that the person who is making the prank calls seems to have more rights than the person who is receiving the calls.
Yup... with all the whiz bang tech available to the police the matter could be resolved in half an hr...

So the easy way out is to make the victim change their number and alter their ways to allow for the offender to proudly get away with it..

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Old 15-06-2013, 07:00 PM   #32
xxx000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: How can I get the phone number of the person who is prank calling me??

simple, change your phone number

think about it, if it really really concerned you that much you would change your number

if you don't then it looks (in court and elsewhere) as though you aren't that concerned

been through it myself and yes I changed my number so the calls stopped

police have better things to do than investigate simple prank or annoying calls, they would say change your ph number too. And if you said no they'd rightly say it doesn't seem that serious then
This user likes this post:
Old 15-06-2013, 07:05 PM   #33
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

it really isn't that simple for some there are hundreds of people with my number who will attempt to call me only if they need their PC repaired. I don't have the numbers of over half of them . I'm sure many others have good reasons for not changing their numbers
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxx000 View Post

think about it, if it really really concerned you that much you would change your number

if you don't then it looks (in court and elsewhere) as though you aren't that concerned

police have better things to do than investigate simple prank or annoying calls, they would say change your ph number too. And if you said no they'd rightly say it doesn't seem that serious then

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
3 users like this post:
Old 16-06-2013, 11:33 AM   #34
fanboi
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane View Post
Buy a whistle... like the footy refs have.
that doesnt work, when we did it as kids we would ask them to blow it louder
Old 16-06-2013, 06:02 PM   #35
rog xc

Whisper into the ear of someone who knows the bloke you think it is.. Tell them that the feds are now tracking all calls made to your phone, with the intent to find & charge the person who is harassing you. If the calls stop then you will know it was him, & can deal with that accordingly.
Old 16-06-2013, 06:19 PM   #36
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxx000 View Post

^^^^^^Pretty much this.

You have to be seen to be making attempts help yourself first, if you can not be bothered to change your number and help yourself in the courts eyes it would appear that your are not really considering the issue to be serious yourself and as such they will put as much effort into it as what you have.

The Week End Bruiser : FPV BF GT 40th Anniversary, 6 Speed Manual, 6/4 Brembo and lots of Herrod goodies

Project 1 : '75 XB GS 351 Ute, Toploader, 9" with 3.5's

Project 2 : '74 XB GS Big Block Coupe, Toploader, 9" with 4.11's

In Storage : '74 XB GS 351 Fairmont Sedan

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

Old 16-06-2013, 06:26 PM   #37
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva View Post
Yup... with all the whiz bang tech available to the police the matter could be resolved in half an hr....
Please explain how this would be achieved considering police have no way of accessing phone carriers call records.

PS CSI and 98% of the stuff you see on crime shows is not real.

The Week End Bruiser : FPV BF GT 40th Anniversary, 6 Speed Manual, 6/4 Brembo and lots of Herrod goodies

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

Old 16-06-2013, 07:30 PM   #38
paule11
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XB GS 351 Coupe View Post
Please explain how this would be achieved considering police have no way of accessing phone carriers call records.

Don't know what police can do now but a month ago bloke at work is called and asked if he knew where his grandson is . Police had received phone calls from his grandsons mobile phone with screaming and what sounded like someone being attacked .He then rang his son and daughter in law they had both been contacted and neither told them the grandfathers number. Police went to sons school to see what was going on ended up being his mobile phone bumped in bag while 10 year olds are going crazy playing at PE .
Old 16-06-2013, 10:16 PM   #39
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by paule11 View Post
Don't know what police can do now but a month ago bloke at work is called and asked if he knew where his grandson is . Police had received phone calls from his grandsons mobile phone with screaming and what sounded like someone being attacked .He then rang his son and daughter in law they had both been contacted and neither told them the grandfathers number. Police went to sons school to see what was going on ended up being his mobile phone bumped in bag while 10 year olds are going crazy playing at PE .
I would guess his number was not set on private and the 000 operator would have seen the number calling, then did some checks on their system to see people linked to the number.

They can not do this with private numbers as they are private.

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

Old 16-06-2013, 11:20 PM   #40
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by au3xr6 View Post
it really isn't that simple for some there are hundreds of people with my number who will attempt to call me only if they need their PC repaired. I don't have the numbers of over half of them . I'm sure many others have good reasons for not changing their numbers
If I was conducting business I certainly would not be using my Home/residential phone number & giving it out to any one....
Old 16-06-2013, 11:39 PM   #41
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:

Your answer is the problem. Every phone call, in some way or another is recorded by someone or something. It's all computerised. Funny, if you get death threats the person can be found out if they are using a mobile, if you get pranks at all hours the advice is to change your number.

The red tape to track down these cowards should be greatly reduced. Police can access most records with a valid reason when solving a crime and it should be the same for phone call records.

Old 17-06-2013, 10:24 AM   #42
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Quote:
I would guess his number was not set on private and the 000 operator would have seen the number calling, then did some checks on their system to see people linked to the number.

They can not do this with private numbers as they are private.
I used to do this as part of my job. Back in the day with the older exchanges MCT ( malicious call trace) was a pia. It involved category changes to the person receiving the call and when they received a call they had to arrange a call trace that was performed manually by tracing the call through multiple switches. The the calling path was verified by two techs at either end ( a and b end) it took hours.

With modern exchanges it is a cat change that is automated by the operator and the records are collected automatically with the receiving party using hook switch flash( recall button)

All calls are now recorded with billing records and I imagine for the right reason the police can access them.

For emergency operators they have a category that overrides the privacy setting of the a number so they always see the number.

I'm not familiar with how it's done with VoIP as I've been outnofmit for a long time but I believe there is legislation to handle this.

As has been mentioned threading calls are covered by federal legislation and Telstra should take it seriously. If they don't a call to the TIO is in order.
Old 17-06-2013, 07:39 PM   #43
a-total-tool

Ultimately, you will never find out the details of the person that is calling you as to get this information is in breach of the privacy act.

Get at least 3 examples. You need time, date, what number (if any) shows, whether or not you answered it - basically the more info you have the better.

Call your service provider. Go through their unwelcome calls process. They will get the details and run a trace. The will then contact the provider of the person that is calling you. Their service provider will contact their customer (ie the person that is calling/harassing you) and tell them to stop. If it continues, you call your provider and go through the process again. Basically, if it continues, it gets to the point where their service will be terminated for misuse.
It has been years since I have had to send off one of those letters (as it was my previous job), but the letters usually have a strong clear message. The one that we sent listed the Acts that they are in breach of etc. In the 18 months I was dealing with these letters, I never had to send a second notice to a customer.
2 users like this post:
Old 17-06-2013, 10:25 PM   #44
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva View Post
Your answer is the problem. Every phone call, in some way or another is recorded by someone or something. It's all computerised. Funny, if you get death threats the person can be found out if they are using a mobile, if you get pranks at all hours the advice is to change your number.

The red tape to track down these cowards should be greatly reduced. Police can access most records with a valid reason when solving a crime and it should be the same for phone call records.
Well of course different scenarios get treated differently, just like shoplifting and murder are treated differently.

If someone uses a phone to threaten or intimidate people then they have committed a serious offence that they will be charged for, and that could potentially end in murder or other serious consequences if not followed up promptly and correctly, so in that case police will be able to get special permission from a high level supervisor access the records required. These records are not there for perusal by any police officer as they are private.

If someone gets a few hang ups it hardly warrants a swat team response, and access to the private call records will not be granted to the officer attempting to investigate it, as such he will generally advise you to change your number or turn the phone off or contact your phone provider to send the above mentioned warning letter. Generally all three of these methods will be 100% effective at stopping the nuisance calls.

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

Old 18-06-2013, 01:53 AM   #45
ms700
Big Member

For those with a iphone, there is a "Do Not Disturb" feature in Settings.

From what i can remember, if you switch this feature on,the phone will not ring, or message/SMS. unless you have the contact saved in your "favourites". For all your contacts saved in Favourites, all of their calls/SMS's will come through as per normal.

There is a exclusion. If a contact rings twice, within 5 minutes, the phone will ring, regardless if it is saved in favourites or not, as the phone regards the 2 calls within 5 mins a emergency call.

Hope all of this is 100% correct and accurate!

Tuned by GENTECH 567rwkw/760rwhp

BA XR6T Tuned by GENTECH 349rwkw.

2013 H/D Nightrod Special - DynoJet PowerVision tuned.
Old 18-06-2013, 11:00 AM   #46
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Well of course different scenarios get treated differently, just like shoplifting and murder are treated differently.

If someone uses a phone to threaten or intimidate people then they have committed a serious offence that they will be charged for, and that could potentially end in murder or other serious consequences if not followed up promptly and correctly, so in that case police will be able to get special permission from a high level supervisor access the records required. These records are not there for perusal by any police officer as they are private.

If someone gets a few hang ups it hardly warrants a swat team response, and access to the private call records will not be granted to the officer attempting to investigate it, as such he will generally advise you to change your number or turn the phone off or contact your phone provider to send the above mentioned warning letter. Generally all three of these methods will be 100% effective at stopping the nuisance calls.
I know what you mean, and I agree.

All I'm saying is, it would be good for technology we currently have to be used more efficiently to fight crime.

Our mobile phone is pretty much a portable tracking device. I have been broken into twice, and there are countless others who have also been done over. Wouldn't it be nice if a database could be easily accessed to search for what signals where at the premises and at what time (much like GPS tracking)... would solve many a crime I would assume. Bit like how blood etc can now be tested fro DNA traits, before, not possible.

Only problem is, if mobile tracking becomes common place, the crims will just do what they do with their phones turned off.

Old 18-06-2013, 12:01 PM   #47
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What ****** people off is that most of the suggestions are things that mean you the victim have to do to stop it..."simply" change your phone number (and what a huge pain in the backside that is), get a silent number, etc.

It could all be fixed by letting you know who the hell is calling you, without having to go to court, get some sort of police action involved, etc.

Another case of the perp having all the rights and the victim having none unless the victim is prepared to go to some extreme measures to change the way they are living thier life.
2 users like this post:
Old 18-06-2013, 12:05 PM   #48
KIWI-1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
There is chap hiding in Hong Kong who could help!
Old 18-06-2013, 12:09 PM   #49
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E View Post
Another case of the perp having all the rights and the victim having none.....
Hate to tell you the obvious, but everyone has the exact same rights

And of course we have to be proactive to protect ourselves. We need to lock doors, buy alarm systems, keen our details private, etc etc to be safe from crime.

Unfortunatly that is the world we live in.

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

Old 18-06-2013, 12:13 PM   #50
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIWI-1 View Post
Please explain, sounds interesting.

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

Old 18-06-2013, 12:22 PM   #51
KIWI-1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by KIWI-1
Quote:
Please explain, sounds interesting.
Edward Snowden
Old 18-06-2013, 05:48 PM   #52
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

And if your next door neighbour is deliberately annoying you, move houses. Its as simple as that.
Old 18-06-2013, 06:12 PM   #53
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

I think the OP has enough ideas to go on now.

Closed