Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 06-04-2006, 10:31 PM   #31
SVR73
Mr Polish

Default yeah

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChipsAway Melb
There is always 2 sides to a story.
When Monaro Man decided to proceed to have the gouges in the rh 1/panel repaired he was asked whether he had a garage in which to do it - his response was yes.
When I got to his place the temp was 35c and the car was parked under a tree (about 4m high) in the street and no garage!! Told him I wasn't impressed but we proceeded anyway (having just travelled from Doncaster to Williamstown 35 to 40kms).

As the clear coat was being applied there were insects appearing from everywhere (must have thought it was a flower being bright yellow). Amazingly only a couple got stuck but what is one supposed to do other than walk away in the first place?

Unmasked the car and Monaro Man checked it over and paid me. Half an hour later he's on the phone complaining about the insects,the blend out and suddenly the color. Went back the next working day to fix the problems and by now he's had the "advice of a paint expert" so when I get there he refuses to let me touch it.

With his threats of suing etc the money (he paid cash no invoices bloody cheqpskate) was refunded.

As per my Adelaide colleague we pride ourselves in the work we do in the situations we work in and I can assure you my business (10 years) is built on referrals.

Yeah there sure are some ****ers out there who think they know paint surface care etc etc
From what you have posted, seems understandable and the insects were out of your control

As I've said before, poor buffing, overspray onto windows and wheels is the main problem that I see

The market, with dr duco, scratch busters, duco magic, prestige spectrum etc etc is so tight you cannot afford to do bad work
Work for dealerships though , allows for average work
Old 24-01-2008, 07:49 PM   #32
yakkas01
Starter Motor

Just had a job done by Chips Away Adelaide (I know, read the forums, the advice is against using mobile paint repairers). Was minor paint off situation and didn't have time to lose car for week at dealer's repair shop as heading away. Unfortunately job is less than ideal - colour match was poor and finish is less than ideal with variations in the paint. Where the panels meet is poorly finished (think it needed more clear) and am waiting for technician to come back and buff the panels (supposed to be about 4 - 4:30 today and here it is at 6:20pm). Will end up doing this by hand myself.

Issues are:
- poor colour match
- poor blend
- poor finish, especially where panels meet
- overspray
- poor job overall
- lack of attendance to finish job

My advice....use these guys as an emergency fix and then plan to take car to repair shop to get job done properly when you have the time and $$$. I used them purely to get damage fixed in a hurry and to be honest, the job reflects this.

Anyone who wants to see the job, send me a PM and will forward photos.
Old 30-01-2008, 03:40 PM   #33
ChipsAway Adel
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakkas01
Just had a job done by Chips Away Adelaide (I know, read the forums, the advice is against using mobile paint repairers). Was minor paint off situation and didn't have time to lose car for week at dealer's repair shop as heading away. Unfortunately job is less than ideal - colour match was poor and finish is less than ideal with variations in the paint. Where the panels meet is poorly finished (think it needed more clear) and am waiting for technician to come back and buff the panels (supposed to be about 4 - 4:30 today and here it is at 6:20pm). Will end up doing this by hand myself.

Issues are:
- poor colour match
- poor blend
- poor finish, especially where panels meet
- overspray
- poor job overall
- lack of attendance to finish job

My advice....use these guys as an emergency fix and then plan to take car to repair shop to get job done properly when you have the time and $$$. I used them purely to get damage fixed in a hurry and to be honest, the job reflects this.

Anyone who wants to see the job, send me a PM and will forward photos.
We have discussed this job privately and I agree it was not up to scratch for a number of reasons. The technician did not return to complete the job as arranged (for reasons not relevant here), so there has been no opportunity for us to rectify the problems identified. Yakkas01 has elected to have a go at fixing things himself but nevertheless posted his cheque, which I have since returned to him. We have agreed to let the matter rest. As Yakkas has said, our reputation is only as good as the last job we do, a point I make ad nauseum to my techs. As a company we do over 10,000 jobs a year with a comeback rate of less than 0.1%, but the job which is used as an exemplar is the one which is a stuff-up. I live with it *sigh* :togo: If only we could get everyone who has had a ChipsAway job done who has been delighted with it to post ......
Old 30-01-2008, 04:19 PM   #34
[Tonko]
What's green is gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChipsAway Adel
If only we could get everyone who has had a ChipsAway job done who has been delighted with it to post ......
Unfortunately, in business, bad news travels faster than good.
Having said that though...
My sis got half a dozen decent sized paint chips in her black Daewoo thanks to a gravel truck in SA.
Anyways, She got Chipsaway to come and have a crack at it, it only took half a day to do and they came the next day to buff it, The guy ended up buffing the whole car and did an awesome job. I cant remember the price, but it was fairly cheap and it would have been a pain because of the colour..
Nearly 2 years later it still looks magic...
Theres some pics of before and after somewhere.

EF XR8 - Koni's - Cam and Headwork -3.9s - Ex VIC TMU -

1982 Nissan Patrol - 460 ci Big Block soon - Semi Gloss Black - Dark Tint - 4x 6" Infinity Kappa Perfect Splits - 5" Kappa 2 ways - Kappa 6x9's - 2x12" Kappa perfect subs - 2x4 Channel and 2x Mono Kappa amps-

Old 30-01-2008, 04:51 PM   #35
Werd.
nou

Year
Old
Thread.
Old 30-01-2008, 05:05 PM   #36
[Tonko]
What's green is gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werd.
Year
Old
Thread.
If you dont like it, report it, for whatever that reason may be.

Get over it.

EF XR8 - Koni's - Cam and Headwork -3.9s - Ex VIC TMU -

1982 Nissan Patrol - 460 ci Big Block soon - Semi Gloss Black - Dark Tint - 4x 6" Infinity Kappa Perfect Splits - 5" Kappa 2 ways - Kappa 6x9's - 2x12" Kappa perfect subs - 2x4 Channel and 2x Mono Kappa amps-

Old 30-01-2008, 05:17 PM   #37
GORDZ
OMGORDZ

i'm not touching a company that will willingly call a customer a 'bloody cheapskate' with bad spelling....

go to hell AFAIC

BA XR6 Ute, twin throttlebodied blueprint.
Old 30-01-2008, 05:27 PM   #38
TZENU
XY Driv3r

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChipsAway Adel
If only we could get everyone who has had a ChipsAway job done who has been delighted with it to post ......
Is this because the majority of your clients are NOT actual enthusiasts and are just your average joe looking to get rid of a scratch before their significant other comes home???
Old 31-01-2008, 06:31 PM   #39
ChipsAway Adel
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TZENU
Is this because the majority of your clients are NOT actual enthusiasts and are just your average joe looking to get rid of a scratch before their significant other comes home???
Well, we do get a few of those too. The majority of our clients are trade yards who are pretty particular about the quality of the job, as they have to sell their cars at maximum price and crappy repair work tends to militate against easy sales. Most of our retail clients are 'average joes' who appreciate a job well done and the convenience of having their whoopsie repaired in their driveway at a cost less than their insurance excess. However, plenty of the discerning 'enthusiasts' to whom you refer have used us as well. Our work is out there in the public forum for all to see - how many of our critics can claim to have a 100% success rate?
Old 31-01-2008, 06:36 PM   #40
ChipsAway Adel
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDZ
i'm not touching a company that will willingly call a customer a 'bloody cheapskate' with bad spelling....

go to hell AFAIC
The author of the "cheapskate" comment is based in Melbourne and is nothing to do with my company. Thankfully he has now changed his trading name as well.
Old 31-01-2008, 11:58 PM   #41
falcon_6

I am also do mobile repairs and have been doing it for nearly 9 years now and one of the biggest problems is finding someone who can sell a MAGIC WAND,you know the one that fixes all better than new,with great speed and cheap as chip's.
Old 14-02-2008, 07:10 PM   #42
yakkas01
Starter Motor

ChipsAway Adel and I discussed my situation and despite the problems I encountered, I found him to be honest, candid and ethical - to the point of returning my cheque when I was happy to pay for them for the work that was done.

Whilst I was unhappy with the overall job, ChipsAway Adel was very professional in his responses and I could tell he really wanted to fix it. He was very reasonable and stated his case really well as well as fairly considered my responses.

I made the judgement call not to let him send another tech out and we had to agree to disagree on a number of points.

At the end of the day I have to say -1 for the job and +1 for the level of professional shown by ChipsAway Adel himself.
This user likes this post:
Old 10-12-2013, 12:47 PM   #43
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 
Default Re: Chipsaway or similiar - experiences ?

nice thread mine and shameless plug

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8