Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 17-12-2013, 11:58 PM   #61
Itsme
Experienced Member

Default Re: There will be no Christmas joy at the bowser for motorists

Quote:
Originally Posted by neptune blue View Post
Off the topic a bit but do know anyone that is wealthy , I mean really wealthy
Well I do
My brother in law ( who I will not name) has an estimated wealth of $300 million AUD

I asked him once how did you manage to be sosuccessful
He said 2 things
Hard work
And luck

I said to him luck ?
He said yes , there are many people he knows that are smarter , harder working than him and do everything right but have not succeeded

You have to be at the right place at the right time and acording to someone that has more money than anyone can spend in a life time, that is luck

I am a sales manager with a multinational I have an MBA and I have exceeded sales targets at every company I have worked, signed multi million dollar deals but I have never been able to "hit the big time"

Guys not as smart as me who stay out late with the boss, get ****ed, go to the parlours with the boss ignor their families and cheat on their partners have been promoted over me

Who says you need an education to earn big bucks

We have a driver ( contractor) where I work that's earns close to 400K per annum
He's as dumb as they come but he is a machine

Good luck with your plan to educate yourself to move into the "upper class" sounds like you have it all figured out ?
Make sure you let us know when you make your first million
I agree but I think you left out one key ingredient..... A good business sense, which most people don't have.
Itsme is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 18-12-2013, 12:00 AM   #62
bobthebilda
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevz View Post
So how does that work?
A barrel of oil is worth what it is. The saudis extract roughly 10 million barrels a day, but use about 2.4 million a day for fuel and electricity generation. The 7.6 million they sell, they get $100 a barrel for. At 20 cents a litre, the 2.4 million they use internally they are getting $30 a barrel for. The government ( the oil industry is nationalised), gets 2.4 x 70 = $168 million less per day by subsidising its internal use.
bobthebilda is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2013, 12:00 AM   #63
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevz View Post
So while other countries subsidize their fuel, Australia taxes the **** out of it.

And they call us the lucky country?
The majority of the countries quoted are oil rich nations which can easily cover the cost of subsidies with the amount they sell, I think Venezuela is/was the cheapest at around 15c per litre......

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2013, 12:23 AM   #64
superyob
Banned

Quote:
Off the topic a bit but do know anyone that is wealthy , I mean really wealthy
Well I do
My brother in law ( who I will not name) has an estimated wealth of $300 million AUD

I asked him once how did you manage to be so successful
He said 2 things
Hard work
And luck

I said to him luck ?
He said yes , there are many people he knows that are smarter , harder working than him and do everything right but have not succeeded

You have to be at the right place at the right time and acording to someone that has more money than anyone can spend in a life time, that is luck

I am a sales manager with a multinational I have an MBA and I have exceeded sales targets at every company I have worked, signed multi million dollar deals but I have never been able to "hit the big time"

Guys not as smart as me who stay out late with the boss, get ****ed, go to the parlours with the boss ignor their families and cheat on their partners have been promoted over me

We have a driver ( contractor) where I work that's earns close to 400K per annum
He's as dumb as they come but he is a machine

Good luck with your plan to educate yourself to move into the "upper class" sounds like you have it all figured out ?
Make sure you let us know when you make your first million
For everyone of these almost mythological creatures, who have been in the right place at the right time, there are probably thousands who were not so lucky... I would take my chances with an education...

I thought Australia had huge oil and gas reserves. Is this not the case? If so, why do we need to import?
superyob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2013, 12:50 AM   #65
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by superyob View Post
I thought Australia had huge oil and gas reserves. Is this not the case? If so, why do we need to import?
To keep our reserves up for a rainy day plus our oil is light oil not heavy crude which is needed for other essential by-products.
Itsme is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2013, 12:58 AM   #66
neptune blue
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
For everyone of these almost mythological creatures, who have been in the right place at the right time, there are probably thousands who were not so lucky... I would take my chances with an education...

I forgot to mention he is well educated ( degree) and inteligent but he still believes you need luck to get you started then as they say money makes money

He is also the sort of guy that would put everything on the line to either win big or loose big as most guys of this calibre do
neptune blue is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2013, 02:12 AM   #67
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Quote:
Academic ability isn’t necessarily needed but reasonable intelligence usually is.
Unless you happen to be a rock star, movie actor, sportsperson or someone who makes a big success out of entertaining others.

Academic ability can open doors in many high end careers like investment banking but luck and having the right contacts will do just as good a job for you.

Most self-made people don’t work for others, they back themselves and often are in the right place at the right time.
Open minds, the ability to listen and draw from others, being able to assess the merits of what they see and hear and always being positive are prerequisites.
Negative people and complainers get nowhere and also don’t get the contact help that will often play a part in success.

I don’t know anyone who has wealth in the hundreds of millions but I do know some with from a few million to tens of millions.
Only one of them was driven to the point they were always going to make it big and went overseas and worked for some big companies and came back to Australia and started his own business.
The rest were lucky to have made good business choices whilst being in the right place at the right time.

I’m 53 and I’ve been retired since I was 47. I owe a lot to many people who showed faith in me and gave me good advice along the way.

Be aware, studies all over the world show less than 2% of people change their station in life, i.e. less than 2% go up in wealth and less than 2% go down.

Express is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 18-12-2013, 02:16 AM   #68
zilo
BANNED

The big secret is not to work for a master.

No matter how many sales targets you reach, it's profit for the business owner.

Even a sandwich shop owner can earn 400k a year.

Try doing that with a 2 metre high pile of degrees, my electronics degree was a waste of time.
zilo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 18-12-2013, 08:32 AM   #69
martyal44
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Kubrick was very close to this sentiment in 'Eyes Wide Shut'. Some may think it a boring film and it's rightfully R rated, but as far as the elite doing their own thing and Tom Cruise as a well placed doctor not getting into the inner circle it could be a good commentary on the 'hidden' or 'occult' things. And in every scene there's a 'tree'.
martyal44 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2013, 04:25 PM   #70
tweeked
N/A all the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilo View Post
The big secret is not to work for a master.

No matter how many sales targets you reach, it's profit for the business owner.

Even a sandwich shop owner can earn 400k a year.

Try doing that with a 2 metre high pile of degrees, my electronics degree was a waste of time.
But then to do that you have to take a risk.

Everyone having a go at the Billionaires - most of these people are self made, and for every one there are 1000 who lost everything trying. It is easy for those to whinge that have not put it all on the line for success.

If you want it comfy and safe, be ready to live in the middle to lower class - and give thanks that there were others with the balls to have a go and create the opportunity for the life that you have chosen.

tweeked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 18-12-2013, 05:40 PM   #71
imugli
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks for the encouragement. I'll definitely dig this thread up when I do make that first Million :-)
imugli is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2013, 06:13 PM   #72
joolz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by wookie836 View Post
this happens every year, does everyone forget?
The ACCC does..
joolz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 18-12-2013, 06:30 PM   #73
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Given that there is an increase of people using cars over this period for traveling, and servo's don't shut down over Christmas and have too pay higher wages to the people who do work...

...it makes a little bit of sense that the price would go up.

Supply, demand?

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 19-12-2013, 01:55 PM   #74
joolz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked View Post
Given that there is an increase of people using cars over this period for traveling, and servo's don't shut down over Christmas and have too pay higher wages to the people who do work...

...it makes a little bit of sense that the price would go up.

Supply, demand?
Its not Christmas yet and an increase of 15-20 cpl thats an extra $10 for a 50 ltr tank. So lets say in an hour they would have 20 cars fill up. $200 is alot more needed to cover the penalty rates per hour. Besides its not the actual servo collecting the increase. Its the oil companies..
joolz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 19-12-2013, 02:19 PM   #75
STINKY NINJA
Banned

everyone is out to rip the other guy off its not just servos...
Ive had tilers,carpet layers,concrete polishers,tile removers,electricians,etc doing renos to my house,all bloody rip off artists!
The world sucks
STINKY NINJA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2013, 05:41 PM   #76
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by joolz View Post
Its not Christmas yet and an increase of 15-20 cpl thats an extra $10 for a 50 ltr tank. So lets say in an hour they would have 20 cars fill up. $200 is alot more needed to cover the penalty rates per hour. Besides its not the actual servo collecting the increase. Its the oil companies..
The servos need to pre-empt the price changes when they receive a load if fuel...

Was talking to a servo operator, and he said its common to actually sell at loss (for a day or two) if the price for the product rises before they receive the next shipment of fuel in...

\≡≡T≡≡/
Old 19-12-2013, 07:05 PM   #77
ryeman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Oil .. No we're a net importer.
Gas...Yes well on the way to a big exporter for which we will, as consumers, have to compete in price with os customers because WE don't own it.

Facts or the twitterverse, your choice!

M3SR+ .......MG ZS EV
ryeman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2013, 07:10 PM   #78
ToCo
Drives a Ute!

Boo Hoo its already over $1.65 here in Tassie.
Old 19-12-2013, 08:12 PM   #79
nstg8a

Quote:
Originally Posted by joolz View Post
Servos only make between 3c to 8c per litre. Most rely on people buying chocolates pies and drinks to make a profit.
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2013, 08:48 PM   #80
ryeman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstg8a View Post
Servos only make between 3c to 8c per litre. Most rely on people buying chocolates pies and drinks to make a profit.
The last business I would 'invest' in would be fuel retailing in competition with ColesWorth.

M3SR+ .......MG ZS EV
Old 19-12-2013, 08:50 PM   #81
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstg8a View Post
Servos only make between 3c to 8c per litre. Most rely on people buying chocolates pies and drinks . Selling groceries and grog to make a profit
Fixed

\≡≡T≡≡/
Old 19-12-2013, 09:21 PM   #82
martyal44
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

From $1.40 to $1.52 c\L in one day in Wyong (today) and what annoys me is the unknown jump after the 'cycle' -who invented that?-finishes and up it goes, so I always buy less if at all on days like this.
martyal44 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2013, 09:26 PM   #83
ryeman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

As they continue to talk the $A down the result will mean higher prices which is another factor.

M3SR+ .......MG ZS EV
Old 21-12-2013, 10:01 AM   #84
xxx000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

143.9 in Sydneys west now

The fuel price seems to be dropping gradually as per normal cycle imho
xxx000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2013, 11:15 AM   #85