Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 19-11-2014, 05:43 PM   #1
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Smile New Mondeo to Attack Camry.

"Ford has launched its first major offensive for its long-awaited Mondeo - attacking the marketing leading Toyota Camry.

The blue oval brand released the first major details about its Mondeo line-up, ahead of its launch in early 2015, and has taken aim at the Camry Hybrid.

In a sign of how aggressively Ford will pitch the Mondeo against the best-selling Camry in the medium-sized segment, its press release claims the new Ford will have 10 technologies not available on its Japanese rival as well as claiming that the diesel will be more fuel efficient than the Camry Hybrid.
The blue oval has confirmed it will offer both five-door hatch and wagon variants.

But, Ford hasn't revealed any details about the diesel engine, other than its claim that it will undercut the Camry Hybrid's 5.2-litres per 100km on the combined cycle.
Advertisement

It did, however, confirm that there will be both petrol and diesel variants, both of which will be paired with a six-speed dual-clutch auto transmission, but is saving the details of those until closer to the launch.

In overseas markets, the Mondeo is available with a range of petrol engines including 1.5-litre EcoBoost and 2.0-litre EcoBoost petrol variants and 1.6-litre and 2.0-litre turbo diesels.
The new Mondeo will feature a raft of new safety and comfort features including rear seatbelt airbags.

The company also confirmed a six-model range, with Ambiente, Trend and Titanium with both five-door hatch and wagon variants.

But while engine and pricing remain under wraps, the company has detailed what safety and convenience features will be available.

Standard gear on all models will include MyKey (that allows parents to limit the car's capabilities), Emergency Assistance (which can dial 000), SYNC2 (the latest version of its infotainment system), eight-inch colour touchscreen and inflatable rear seatbelts.

Ford will also offer a number of optional safety features, including Adaptive Cruise Control, Forward Collision Warning, Active City Stop and Active Park Assist. Although the company claims these features are "not found on other mid-size cars such as the Toyota Camry" the likes of the Mazda6 and Honda Accord already offer several similar options."
http://www.drive.com.au/motor-news/f...19-11pt4o.html
My comment : If Ford is serious about taking on Camry, then prices will have to drop. Which means Ambiente around $26k and Titanium around $43k the same as the Camry Atara SX top model $43k drive away.......This is price drop of $5k on Ambiente and $7k on Titanium..

Last edited by csv8; 19-11-2014 at 05:49 PM.
csv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-11-2014, 05:50 PM   #2
CyberWasp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: New Mondeo to Attack Camry.

But will it have a soul
CyberWasp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 19-11-2014, 06:04 PM   #3
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberWasp View Post
But will it have a soul
Irrelevant.

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-11-2014, 06:06 PM   #4
zilo
BANNED

Tough decision...buy the australian built car or buy the imported Ford?
zilo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-11-2014, 07:51 PM   #5
NX74205
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8 View Post
My comment : If Ford is serious about taking on Camry, then prices will have to drop. Which means Ambiente around $26k and Titanium around $43k the same as the Camry Atara SX top model $43k drive away.......This is price drop of $5k on Ambiente and $7k on Titanium..
While lower prices would be great, I don't think it'll happen. Ford aren't going to sell in the same volumes as Toyota, to think that dropping prices would fix that is just wishful thinking.

Besides, the Mondeo is a better car and worth every cent extra.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilo
Tough decision...buy the australian built car or buy the imported Ford?
Mondeo for me, because it's a Ford. That means more to me than where it's built. Mondeo is also the better car.
2005 Ford BF Fairmont (2006-2019)
1989 Ford EA Falcon GL (2000-2007)
1982 Ford KA Laser Ghia (1999-2000)
NX74205 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-11-2014, 08:03 PM   #6
esppwr

I have a current 2014 Mondeo Lx tdci wagon as a company car and it is dry disappointing
1. Throttle response is non existant. 2 seconds of turbo lag
2. Front seats are rock hard
3. Ergonomics aren't great, particularly electric window switches and hand brake

I'd have a current model Camry over it any day and I hate white goods. How anyone can rate one above a commodore wagon is beyond me.

I hope Ford lifts there game on the new model
esppwr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-11-2014, 08:18 PM   #7
malazn mafia
Boss 335

A name change would be a start. Mundano and the ugly plasticky looking thing from the 90s still come to mind.
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 19-11-2014, 08:40 PM   #8
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Fusion as in America or Cortina!!!
Old 19-11-2014, 09:34 PM   #9
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The dual clutch might scare some away from the ford, that would do it for me anyway.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 19-11-2014, 09:35 PM   #10
zilo
BANNED

Camry Hybrid for me
zilo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-11-2014, 10:09 PM   #11
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by NX74205 View Post
Ford aren't going to sell in the same volumes as Toyota,
Isn't the Ford Focus the top selling car model in the world?
new2ford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-11-2014, 10:48 PM   #12
MickyB
Get in the ring!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2ford View Post
Isn't the Ford Focus the top selling car model in the world?
Exactly, Ford's name isn't that well regarded in Aus, but around the world they are regarded as making some pretty decent cars.
Old 19-11-2014, 10:55 PM   #13
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked View Post
Irrelevant.
Super irrelevant.

Like people who honestly believe the only important factors about a car are 0-100 and quarter mile times, in an era these days when, upon asking the dealer to open the bonnet of the G6E we were looking at to have a look at the donk, was told, amazed, that I was the first person he could remember in many months that had actually asked to even see under the bonnet much less ask anything more than "how many cylinders?", "petrol or diesel", and "how good is the economy".
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-11-2014, 11:00 PM   #14
Giant Cranium
PURSUIT 250
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E View Post
Super irrelevant.

Like people who honestly believe the only important factors about a car are 0-100 and quarter mile times, in an era these days when, upon asking the dealer to open the bonnet of the G6E we were looking at to have a look at the donk, was told, amazed, that I was the first person he could remember in many months that had actually asked to even see under the bonnet much less ask anything more than "how many cylinders?", "petrol or diesel", and "how good is the economy".
my cousin bought a dual is coz it had a factory reverse camera, small things these days sell cars, funnily enough ford don't even have a reverse camera in a kuga
Giant Cranium is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-11-2014, 11:07 PM   #15
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giant Cranium View Post
my cousin bought a dual is coz it had a factory reverse camera, small things these days sell cars, funnily enough ford don't even have a reverse camera in a kuga
I agree...people scoff at the car makers filling their product with "toys", yet that's what's important these days. Who cares what the 0-100 and quarter mile times are when there's a damn camera hiding in every second wheelie bin and highway overpass? Make it comfortable, reliable, pleasant to spend time in, and full of conveniences, and people will buy it in droves. See the popularity of "boring" Corollas and Camrys as an example...
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-11-2014, 11:14 PM   #16
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giant Cranium View Post
Kuga Titanium has a reverse camera.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2014, 12:55 AM   #17
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by esppwr View Post
I have a current 2014 Mondeo Lx tdci wagon as a company car and it is dry disappointing
1. Throttle response is non existant. 2 seconds of turbo lag
2. Front seats are rock hard
3. Ergonomics aren't great, particularly electric window switches and hand brake

I'd have a current model Camry over it any day and I hate white goods. How anyone can rate one above a commodore wagon is beyond me.

I hope Ford lifts there game on the new model
Thats not turbo lag, its throttle response issue and its to do with how the car is mapped, the Diesel Territory has the same issue, and so does my TDCI Focus which shares the same engine as your Mondeo.

I know its this because when they are remapped there is no delay on throttle response.

The new Mondeo will have the exact same issue as its carrying over the same diesel engine.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2014, 08:27 AM   #18
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo View Post
Thats not turbo lag, its throttle response issue and its to do with how the car is mapped, the Diesel Territory has the same issue, and so does my TDCI Focus which shares the same engine as your Mondeo.

I know its this because when they are remapped there is no delay on throttle response.

The new Mondeo will have the exact same issue as its carrying over the same diesel engine.
I've found that some Mercs and BMW's have the same issue.

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2014, 08:40 AM   #19
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked View Post
I've found that some Mercs and BMW's have the same issue.
People try and blame it on drive by wire but thats not the issue, as I've driven cars with drive by wire setups which have instantaneous throttle response.

Its the mapping, its probably emissions related or some form of driveline protection.

It can be up to 2 seconds on the Focus, even when you've got it right in the middle of your torque band while you're rolling along.

Drive a Mazda 3 diesel and it has no throttle delay at all, its a pain in the *** in my car because its manual, but some days its much worse than others.
Old 20-11-2014, 10:07 AM   #20
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The throttle delay thing, do you think that might be an anti belch thing ? I suppose not belching diesel smoke is an emmision thing ,
I'm trying to think of a reason why they would allow such an annoying driving trait to be in these modern diesels, that's all I can think of, in big diesels 98% of the ones I have driven are without delay, some are almost like a sporty type of diesel engine.
perhaps it's a way of screwing the last ounce of economy out of these engines?
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2014, 11:15 AM   #21
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik View Post
The throttle delay thing, do you think that might be an anti belch thing ? I suppose not belching diesel smoke is an emmision thing ,
I'm trying to think of a reason why they would allow such an annoying driving trait to be in these modern diesels, that's all I can think of, in big diesels 98% of the ones I have driven are without delay, some are almost like a sporty type of diesel engine.
Always thought the instant torque of the diesel motor from standstill would tear up bushes and bend tailshafts, hence the tuning for delay ?
2 users like this post:
Old 20-11-2014, 12:09 PM   #22
esppwr

I'm not exactly going to get a tune on a company car, throttle response from factory is down right dangerous. I don't care what the cause is, it simply unacceptable in today's world.
They won't sell in number to private buyers till they sought it out.

2010 Triumph Street Triple R, Q/Shifter & Arrows minus restrictors
esppwr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2014, 12:55 PM   #23
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by malazn mafia View Post
A name change would be a start. Mundano and the ugly plasticky looking thing from the 90s still come to mind.
That's like 20 years ago, might be time to move on
MAGPIE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 20-11-2014, 01:03 PM   #24
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGPIE View Post
That's like 20 years ago, might be time to move on
Yeh time to move on from Ford vehicles after Falcon dies. Certainly won't be scooting around in a Mondeo. Wonder if people would buy Hyundais if they kept the Excel nameplate, if Holden still made Camiras and Nissan still sold cars named Bluebird and Pintara... Meanwhile Ford kills off its successful nameplates like Laser.
Old 20-11-2014, 02:47 PM   #25
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Whilst not directly talking new cars, we were faced with this exact dilemma a few weeks ago when my wife went looking for a newer car.

She wanted a reliable, safe, late model 4cyl with good fuel economy and big enough to seat 5 comfortably.

We ruled out Focus, Mazda's and corolla's as the rear headroom was too tight for our 6' son.
We wouldn't go near a Cruze.

When we were searching around we stumbled across a Mondeo diesel which caught her eye.
She also liked the look of the Camry Sportivo of same year, for the same money with less K's.

When we got home I did some research and discovered that whilst the Mondeo had everything the Sportivo had except the kit and 17's, and had impressive fuel consumption figures, nearly every review I read pointed to the powershift 6sp as a concern.
Reports said they regularly left you in neutral mid corner and were down right dangerous in certain circumstances.
Numerous electrical gremlins.

In the end we bought the Sportivo as the worst review I could find whinged about the urban fuel consumption which although we are getting around 9l/100k this is to be expected when its pulling around a body which also houses a 200kw V6 in Aurion form .

If Ford want to make up ground on a vehicle which is perceived as bullet proof, then they need to get serious about public perception, because a simple Google search can be a deal breaker to a well researched, prospective buyer.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 20-11-2014, 09:16 PM   #26
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Bringing sanity to the Everest threads. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8
paired with a six-speed dual-clutch auto transmission
massive fail, even before they start.
simon varley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 21-11-2014, 07:01 AM   #27
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon varley View Post
massive fail, even before they start.
Nope ...... it's fine and a Wet (NOT a dry) clutch version.
Fordman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2014, 08:48 AM   #28
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Exclamation Re: New Mondeo to Attack Camry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barraxr8 View Post
Nope ...... it's fine and a Wet (NOT a dry) clutch version.
Ask Yellow_Festiva about the wet clutch DCT in his TDCI Focus, which shat itself at 68,000km or something.

They're bloody crap, leave them to F1 cars and exotics for now until they design one which isn't made out of playdoh and fails when you try to put 340nm of torque through it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik View Post
Thats probably a good explanation, as my Focus won't blow soot unless you really give it to it, and even then its barely anything and it doesn't have a DPF either.

It seems to be a Ford diesel thing, especially ones with PSA engines which are Territory/TDCI Focus/Mondeo.

My GMC Sierra had electronically controlled injection and she didn't have trouble at all with moving off the line and that was some rudimentary 1990s design.

Same with that Mazda 3 MZR-CD I drove, no delay at all.

Anyways my Focus is in for a dyno tune on Tuesday, so we will see how we go with throttle response.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 21-11-2014 at 08:54 AM.