Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 10-02-2015, 01:09 PM   #61
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: VW Passat Stop Start System!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kypez View Post
Airbags, DSC, ABS, etc, we initially paid a premium for these features and now they are standard fitment. All new technology will be the same. Your Nokia 3210, how long did you keep that for vs newer smartphones?!

Gotta move with the times. Cars are cheaper these days and you get a lot of car for not much money than yesteryear. Fight it all you want, the days of cars running for decades with simple systems is a thing of the past. Use and recycle is the future, not resale.
sounds good in theory, but those things i listed have heaps of labor involved and parts cost , abs /dsc/etc /etc pretty much work the life of the car at no cost.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2015, 01:35 PM   #62
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2ford View Post
Well that's the point. You don't hear anything, just lovely silence

It's a city thing really, especially peak hour driving. Little use for it in the country.
I meant when the lights go green and you hear it go cough, then look and see a brand new car driving away.
Old 10-02-2015, 01:41 PM   #63
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoo View Post
Wretched, the revolution in the car industry isn't introducing irrelevant ideas to prolong the dinosaur internal combustion engine, the start of the revolution is to phase them out.
I guess i exaggerated in saying a revolution in the car industry but the ICE is going through one right now. Not just evolution. We're now seeing emphasis on emissions and efficiencies without losing performance. You can see it across the board, smaller V8s being used instead of larger capacity V8s or cylinder engines, four cylinder engine performance getting to a point of where V8s were not long ago.

Whilst the technologies brought in to these engines may be seen as irrelevant to some and prolonging the inevitable, the manufacturers can only bring out what we can support. If ICEs were stopped right now can Australia still run? No, we don't have facilities to accommodate EVs. Is that car companies responsibility or the government? These technologies have enabled the ICE to continue far more efficient than ever before and with the (slow) introduction of EVs, we can start migrating slowly away from ICEs.

In any case I would agree that we're prolonging a technology that should have had the processes and infrastructure there to phase it out years ago, but that's for another discussion.
Old 10-02-2015, 02:30 PM   #64
johnydep
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8 View Post
Found the off button it is near gear selector but must turn off each time I start car . It drives much smoother, now ,
Recently went in a drive in the latest Subaru Forester with Stop Start & CVT. I didn't like it, yes it is smooth and everything works instantly but it's not what I'm used to. Even the wife commented on it - "was it me or did that car feel wrong?"

My mate works at Subaru and gets a different model each month to take home, loves them and reckons that the technology saves a noticeable amount in fuel each year.

I think some are better than others, as I drove one German brand and there was no noticeable affect when taking off. Though it did have a 'proper' automatic, not that CVT rubbish. Maybe that's the difference.
especially concerning their love of the motor vehicle.

http://www.fireservicecollege.ac.uk
johnydep is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2015, 03:13 PM   #65
brismike
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My wife's Smartcar has got it. It's called EcoMode. You can switch it off if you want to.
When you stop the engine is killed. As soon as you take your foot off the brake it instantly restarts.

Wife does not like it because she is scared that it will roll back on a hill start. I keep telling her it won't as it has also got a hill hold function. As long as you get off the brake pedal and onto the accelerator pedal within 2 seconds it won't roll back.

I've got used to it and I'm sure it helps the fuel economy which in the Smartcar is already pretty awesome at 4.5 litres per 100ks.

cheers Mike

Wife's - 2018 Peugeot 3008 Gtline, Pearl White - 6 Speed Auto - Fully Optioned.

My Toy - 2014 Smart Fortwo Passion Crystal White, Black Tridion Cell - 5 Speed Auto with Flappy Paddles - Tint - Twin Exhaust

The only good Commodore is the one now very very quickly disappearing in my rear view mirror.
brismike is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2015, 07:00 PM   #66
Deo

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnydep View Post
not that CVT rubbish. Maybe that's the difference.
I'm sure it is.

Sent from my GTi-9305 using bloody Tapatalk
MC Ink Blue Diesel Hatch
Deo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2015, 10:55 PM   #67
devilcv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Ghia View Post
I understand that with VW's you cant switch it off.
My daughter' new polo has it and it can be switched off.
devilcv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post