Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 22-07-2015, 08:45 AM   #1
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

Default Hackers crash a Jeep

http://www.news.com.au/technology/dr...-1227451777474
They didn't need more bad news..............
Old 22-07-2015, 10:08 AM   #2
Iggle Piggle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Hackers crash a Jeep

You hacked a Jeep?
Iggle Piggle is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 22-07-2015, 10:25 AM   #3
Harrison

"The New York Times reports that Miller and Valasek plan to used next months’ annual Black Hat and Def Con conferences to announce how, after two years, they have found ways of controlling hundreds of thousands of vehicles remotely, demonstrating how they had been able to control a car’s lights, navigation system and, in some cases, brakes and steering."

So why pick on Jeep ?

Someone might come to the conclusion that there's some industrial sabotage going on to destroy the Jeep brand and sales success.

Might be worth looking into ?
Harrison is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2015, 10:26 AM   #4
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Its not just Jeeps that can be hacked. Cars in the US with key less start are getting stolen by thieves replicating the keys and then just taking the car.

Cars with TPMS have been hacked.

It wouldn't surprise me that the WiFi feature in the Sync 2 system would be a gateway into the cars modules.
Old 22-07-2015, 01:12 PM   #5
LG17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It's just the modern equivalent of being able to get into virtually any old Holden with any old Holden key after they'd worn a bit.
LG17 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 22-07-2015, 01:15 PM   #6
XG_Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by LG17 View Post
It's just the modern equivalent of being able to get into virtually any old Holden with any old Holden key after they'd worn a bit.
Not really. Considering they can take control of an occupied, moving car - it's much more serious.
XG_Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2015, 01:54 PM   #7
Boza
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by LG17 View Post
Or an x-series with the trans dipstick.

When I had my esp and they were only worth about 1500 bucks the blokes at work used to break into mine and hide it on me until I put a twist in the end of the dipstick.
Boza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 22-07-2015, 02:41 PM   #8
cheap
Wirlankarra yanama

With all the bad publicity regarding their reliability plus the corporate shenanigans at Australian HQ, I didn't think Jeep need any more issues to help them implode.

But along comes this "minor" glitch. I guess it won't be long before cars come with firewalls and AV software.
cheap is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2015, 05:11 PM   #9
vbvbvb088
vbvbvb088

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boza View Post
Or an x-series with the trans dipstick.

When I had my esp and they were only worth about 1500 bucks the blokes at work used to break into mine and hide it on me until I put a twist in the end of the dipstick.
In 96/97 i was a Insurance Motor Claims Officer and wound up in the 'Total Loss - Theft (Recovered / Not Recovered). Assessor's reports for recovered XD/E/F many times stated 'dip stick'. I seem to recall happenning to XF's more - maybe at the time they were pinched in greater numbers....

I had a not recovered VC commodore but owner said was VH. For some reason VIN etc not on system... so I asked for any photos. Yes had vh tailights, bonnet, bar headlights, grille etc.even right black bar strips (VH has two lower grooves) and correct badging. However overlooked was c-pillar plenum chamber vent covers. these are designed to go one way. removing them destroys the lugs so unless you have new VH ones to go in....

Long story he fessed up and recvd a VC value instead....
vbvbvb088 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2015, 07:49 PM   #10
Warrenk

It appears the US version of the Jeep(and other brands) has am internet connection option which is not available in other markets including Australia. The "hacking" was a controlled exercise to prove a point.
Old 23-07-2015, 01:06 AM   #11
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

when you think about it , as internet in cars becomes more mainstream, the natural step from there is people start to sync their home internet with the car and vice versa, houses are becoming more automated, if someone could hack a car one has to wonder .........
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2015, 08:08 AM   #12
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik View Post
when you think about it , as internet in cars becomes more mainstream, the natural step from there is people start to sync their home internet with the car and vice versa, houses are becoming more automated, if someone could hack a car one has to wonder .........
The "Internet of Things"; i.e. the embedded network-accessible computers we don't think about ...

Most are feature-driven, consumer devices which had security concepts (Confidentiality, Integrity and Availability) as the last - if not an absent - thought when being developed. Attach them to the Internet and it's a convenient communications channel to access them remotely.

I had a good look around my '69 Javelin and I can't see any computers attached to it, so when it runs off the road I know its my own fault
OzJavelin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 23-07-2015, 08:48 AM   #13
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Eagle Eye (2008) is becoming a reality! I don't think this problem is going to be exclusive to Jeeps. This an unintended consequence of the greatness of technology we asked for.

Last edited by chevypower; 23-07-2015 at 09:14 AM.
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2015, 02:13 PM   #14
Spurious

My fridge has wifi.
Someone hacked it & drank all the milk!
Spurious is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 23-07-2015, 08:44 PM   #15
Matty4
Banana

Maybe we can also bring them out here later in the year and they can hack into the new wifi hotspot enabled Everest.
It's not just a Jeep thing.......................................see what I did there...lol
Old 24-07-2015, 04:25 PM   #16
neptune blue
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tables have been turned. Remove the rotor button from an old school car and the only way you can steal it is to tow it. If a hacker try's to take control of your car just punch him in the head or run him over
neptune blue is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 01-08-2015, 03:30 AM   #17
1TUFFUTE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheap View Post
With all the bad publicity regarding their reliability plus the corporate shenanigans at Australian HQ, I didn't think Jeep need any more issues to help them implode.

But along comes this "minor" glitch. I guess it won't be long before cars come with firewalls and AV software.
All with our secret concoctions of spyware....for your protection of course
1TUFFUTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post