Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 19-02-2006, 11:05 PM   #1
efheadlights
Starter Motor

Default EF headlights gone... Help!

Howdy....

Gave the EF wagon a long overdue carwash tonight, and afterwards the headlights don't work!!!

High beams, parking lights and everything else are fine, but both headlights are stuffed... bulbs are OK.

I can find the fuses for everything under the sun except for the headlights, can anyone point me in the right direction to try and diagnose the fault (I admit I am far from a car expert)....

Any assistance would be GREATLY appreciated.

efheadlights is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2006, 12:43 AM   #2
GenesiS
*Smart *** comment here*

The headlights run on a relay which is at the front of the car behind the passanger side headlight. Possibly if it got water in it it may seize up, or if it was extremely hot and then went extremely cold...

There is no actual fuse for the headlights, I asked the same question a few months ago as my bulbs were always blowing. Found out it was just the cheap bulbs I was buying, what can I say, you get waht you pay for!

Anyway, may need to try and replace the relay if you're sure the bulbs are fine. Shoudln't cost much for a new one from repco or bursons... should take less than 5mins to swap as well.
Lowered all round on King Spring Super Lows
Tinted Windows, Pioneer MP3 Player and Audio System
K&N High Flow Air Filter Mounted in Original Air Box
Trip Computer
NGK Sports Performance Leads
NGK Sports Plugs
Autotecnica Oil Catch Can
GenesiS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2006, 01:09 AM   #3
efheadlights
Starter Motor

Yeah, I took a punt on those relays, there are four behind the passenger side headlight, two blue, two gray (but that might not be for any particular reason..) I tried swapping the two blue with each other and likewise for the gray to see if it was 1 particular one causing the issue, but no change so I'm not sure that's it..

Anyhow, time for an auto-elec I think...
Old 20-02-2006, 03:07 AM   #4
efheadlights
Starter Motor

OK... curious, I played with all relays, and everything else between the switch and the bulbs... I then tested to see if there was power at bulb using a dodgy voltage tester.

Let's just say that it wasn't meant for that task, however several really nasty sparks later it had proved their was voltage at the bulb, so I guess it served the purpose.

So, armed with that information I bought a new bulb, seated it, and SUCCESS! Curious I thought so I bought another, seated it, and SUCCESS!

The really weird thing is both original bulbs look fine, the filament is intact and they look almost pristine... I would put it down to a dodgy connection fixed by re-seating but I did that with the original bulbs when I first inspected them...

I guess I prematurely discounted the bulbs as the source of the problem based on the fact that both went at exactly the same time and the fact that visual inspection looked fine...

Oh well... happy to have 2 working headlights, now to do something about that oil leak... *rolls eyes*
Old 20-02-2006, 11:00 AM   #5
fiery
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

When both my headlights went recently (not cheap globes and not old globes), apparently it had something to do with the fact that the wiring was slightly melted.
Don't know how usual that is :
fiery is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post