Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 07-04-2016, 07:25 PM   #31
noflac52
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Quick Question re Vic Truck Jack-knife Footage

Truck driver did a great job. Wiped off as much speed as possible in the short distance then let the brakes off to a degree where the trailer came back in line before threading the needle between the other truck and the car.

The weather was good and the road was dry so there weren't any extenuating circumstances requiring extra levels of caution. It was just one of those things that happen from time to time no matter how cautious we are.

When you consider the billions of klms travelled by vehicles vs the number of trees across a road its not really a very regular occurrence.
noflac52 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2016, 07:46 PM   #32
beardo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olbucko View Post
Don't see fallen trees on main roads very often, but on backroads it can take the council several days to clear trees after a bad storm or heavy snow. If you can't wait you just get out there with your neighbour and your chainsaw and do it yourself. Happened on my road dozens of times in the last 30 years.
Bit off topic but probably won't be able to do that soon. Be careful where you bring out your saw in public in victoria
beardo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 07-04-2016, 09:40 PM   #33
mike_nofx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane View Post
You can tell by the trailer bounce that it's empty.

This is always a problem when you have ABS on the Prime Mover but not on the trailers.
Oh yeah I got that the trailer must be empty, was just wondering if a loaded trailer would have been 'safer' in this situation?
mike_nofx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2016, 09:59 PM   #34
Tickford 302
Driver

The reason the trailer stepped out is because he pulled on the trailer break. Semis have a hand valve on the steering column to regulate how much air goes to the trailer breaks. The foot break supplies air to both primemover and trailer but the hand valve supplies the trailer only. I'm guessing as he needed to pull up in a hurry because he was peddling pretty hard. Not a bad job to miss the other truck but it all comes down to experience. Once you had a trailer step out a few times you learn to correct it. Like with anything I guess. Hope this helps.
Tickford 302 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2016, 10:32 PM   #35
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tickford 302 View Post
The reason the trailer stepped out is because he pulled on the trailer break. Semis have a hand valve on the steering column to regulate how much air goes to the trailer breaks. The foot break supplies air to both primemover and trailer but the hand valve supplies the trailer only. I'm guessing as he needed to pull up in a hurry because he was peddling pretty hard. Not a bad job to miss the other truck but it all comes down to experience. Once you had a trailer step out a few times you learn to correct it. Like with anything I guess. Hope this helps.
LOL... when was the last time you drove a Semi ?

And NO experienced driver pulls on the trailer brake hand piece (usually only seen in American Trucks), especially when they're empty.
Old 07-04-2016, 10:39 PM   #36
Tickford 302
Driver

Today champ. My western star. Has this set up. as do most trucks. What do you drive. ..?
Old 07-04-2016, 10:47 PM   #37
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Today champ. My western star. Has this set up. as do most trucks. What do you drive. ..?
As I said. Most Seppo Trucks still have the Trailer handpiece.

As for driving now, nothing. I quit full time driving 2 years ago, but if you've read the whole thread you must have seen post 20.
Old 07-04-2016, 10:58 PM   #38
.:4:.
Kicking back

Quote:
As I said. Most Seppo Trucks still have the Trailer handpiece.

As for driving now, nothing. I quit full time driving 2 years ago, but if you've read the whole thread you must have seen post 20.
I Agee to an extent. Whilst I'm not a semi drive I know how trailer brakes react different on an unlaiden trailer to a loaded one. The driver did a very good job of saving his own life with a giant pendulum swinging off the back, and yes he damaged another car, however it could have been 2 lives lost.
.:4:. is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 07-04-2016, 11:03 PM   #39
Tickford 302
Driver

What's a "seppo" truck...? I drive a 2007 Constalation. I'm not sure what seppo is..?
Old 07-04-2016, 11:05 PM   #40
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
What's a "seppo" truck...? I drive a 2007 Constalation. I'm not sure what seppo is..?
Seppo, rhyming slang meaning Septic Tank =Yank.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Seppo
Old 07-04-2016, 11:39 PM   #41
asagaai
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:4:. View Post
I Agee to an extent. Whilst I'm not a semi drive I know how trailer brakes react different on an unlaiden trailer to a loaded one. The driver did a very good job of saving his own life with a giant pendulum swinging off the back, and yes he damaged another car, however it could have been 2 lives lost.
Disagree- could have been 3 lives lost.

Truck driver did a great job handling the rig.

Few years ago was involved in a matter, involved a B double head on collision with another B double at speed, 1 rig fully loaded. Front steer tyre blow out on 1 rig, head on collision with both rigs going at about 100kph......

One issue was drivers disabling drive tyre brakes to save those tyres, and relying on trailer brakes (retreads) to do heavy lifting brake wear. But this would also cause more wear on steer tyres.

In this scenario, not saying it was done as its illegal, but if drive tyre brakes disconnected, more brake emphasis is transferred to rear-may cause rear trailers to swing out more. Just putting this out as a food for thought factor, and not one in play here.

Great job by the driver to save 3 lives. Lot of truckies get a bad wrap, but in that matter it was interesting to see how professional some long distance truckies are and how careful and fastidious they are about their machinery.

Ford Fiesta ST Mk 8 -daily- closest thing to a go kart on road for under 50K

FG X XR8 smoke manual - Miami hand built masterpiece by David Winter, BMC Filter, JLT Oil separators, Street Fighter Intercooler Stage 2, crushed ball, running 15% E85 and 85% 98- weekender
asagaai is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2016, 11:42 PM   #42
prydey
Rob

Quote:
because he pulled on the trailer break.
wait, what? he broke the trailer?
prydey is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 08-04-2016, 12:57 AM   #43
JG33

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_nofx View Post
Oh yeah I got that the trailer must be empty, was just wondering if a loaded trailer would have been 'safer' in this situation?
Had it been fully loaded the outcome would have been different.
Trailer would have tipped over.
JG33 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2016, 01:25 AM   #44
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by asagaai View Post

Few years ago was involved in a matter, involved a B double head on collision with another B double at speed, 1 rig fully loaded. Front steer tyre blow out on 1 rig, head on collision with both rigs going at about 100kph......

One issue was drivers disabling drive tyre brakes to save those tyres, and relying on trailer brakes (retreads) to do heavy lifting brake wear. But this would also cause more wear on steer tyres.

In this scenario, not saying it was done as its illegal, but if drive tyre brakes disconnected, more brake emphasis is transferred to rear-may cause rear trailers to swing out more. Just putting this out as a food for thought factor, and not one in play here.

Great job by the driver to save 3 lives. Lot of truckies get a bad wrap, but in that matter it was interesting to see how professional some long distance truckies are and how careful and fastidious they are about their machinery.
the old kennys used to have a control on the dash so you could disable the front brakes to avoid skidding/losing steering.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2016, 12:02 PM   #45
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
You didn't read the article in the link?
No, I saw the vid a day earlier
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2016, 12:11 PM   #46
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevsta007 View Post
No, I saw the vid a day earlier
Ah ok, in the article it states that the Lady ran into the bush out of the way.
Old 08-04-2016, 12:16 PM   #47
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Guys he would have just hit the brakes, just like a car the weight transfers forwards.
because it was empty, theres no weight to keep the trailer from skidding (just like in utes). but times by ..lots
as gasOlene says the tractor unit would have ABS its pretty hard to stop the trailer from trying to overtake.
My Brother had BTrain Tanker completely wrapped up when he hit black ice on a down hill, was only doing about 40kph
now had it been loaded who knows what would have happened, I recon he could have gone straight into the parked truck.
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 08-04-2016, 10:58 PM   #48
smoo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by asagaai View Post

Did you have part in the investigation for the crash you describe above?
Because I can't make any sense of it, to disconnect drive brakes to save tyre wear, when she's under full load up hill 600hp/2500nm is going to chew the tyres more than any braking ever will.
As well as the park brake being on the same axles, if the brakes were backed off old mate has no park brakes for when he wants to disconnect and go down the road for a pub meal. Unless service brake lines have been disconnected and crimped over then highly illegal and would result in the truck going no where at a roadside inspection and most likely make front page of all national newspapers the following day with braindead sensationalist MSM tarring the road transport industry because of one cowboy.
Disconnecting drive brakes would have no bearing on the load placed on steer tyres as most steer axles on trucks with sleeper cabs are up at max axle weight whether loaded or not. Could it be old mate jewed out on a set of steer tyres until 'when ya get back'?

As for the video an unloaded trailer on leaf springs lock up far too easily and are impossible to get an accurate brake reading when put on over a set of brake rollers. Unlike the newer airbag stuff which have load sensing brake valves that regulate the amount of pressure applied to the brakes. Coupled with ABS reduces the chance of what happened in the video.
smoo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2016, 10:56 AM   #49
LyleXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Pulling the hand piece to stop? Anyone with half a brain wouldn't do that and I doubt his brain wouldve thought that quick to grab it in an emergency
LyleXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 09-04-2016, 12:54 PM   #50
Mesa
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevsta007 View Post
Guys he would have just hit the brakes, just like a car the weight transfers forwards.
because it was empty, theres no weight to keep the trailer from skidding (just like in utes). but times by ..lots
as gasOlene says the tractor unit would have ABS its pretty hard to stop the trailer from trying to overtake.
My Brother had BTrain Tanker completely wrapped up when he hit black ice on a down hill, was only doing about 40kph
now had it been loaded who knows what would have happened, I recon he could have gone straight into the parked truck.
A colleague I once worked with was running late with a delivery. He phoned the boss to let him know he late. He then jackknifed the truck. He immediately rang the boss back and said 'Looks like I might be on time after all. My trailer just passed me going the other way!!!'
Mesa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2016, 04:55 PM   #51
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik View Post
the old kennys used to have a control on the dash so you could disable the front brakes to avoid skidding/losing steering.
Mik, mine still has. dry road/wet road valve. Kenworth poverty pack ABS.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2016, 05:02 PM   #52
roKWiz
Cabover nut

This one happened recently in Sydney. outcome could have been a lot worse.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4WkJS2Ds7o

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2016, 08:38 PM   #53
nuthin' fancy
Lyminge, Shepway, Kent
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty351 View Post
Truck driver is a legend not to have lost it completely..
The way he came off the brakes to straighten up and avoid the truck with the camera was great driving.

Sacrificed the girl's car but things happen.

"Comedy is when you fall into an open sewer and die, tragedy is when I get a paper cut"
nuthin' fancy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2016, 08:34 AM   #54
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
Mik, mine still has. dry road/wet road valve. Kenworth poverty pack ABS.
Good banger the old kennys, but the Abs wouldn't be a bad feature for them, driving bob tail in the wet certainly an exciting time.
Reminds me of a time driving a single drive acco 555 auto bin truck empty/no bin on the back .......... Down a large Hill with traffic lights at the bottom , exciting times.
Old 10-04-2016, 08:45 AM   #55
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuthin' fancy View Post
The way he came off the brakes to straighten up and avoid the truck with the camera was great driving.

Sacrificed the girl's car but things happen.
I'd say he didn't have a lot of choice with the ladies car, but, it was a good job to miss the truck all the same , by the same token her car probably would have been pretty stuffed after crashing over the log.
3 users like this post: