Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 17-06-2007, 09:31 PM   #1
mungbeetle
Starter Motor

Default Can anybody help me? FORD GALAXIE

Hi i have reciently joined the ford forums site to see if anybody is able to help me with some knowledge and history.

Well i have a 1972 Ford Galaxie, the strange thing is that it is apparently a ex-government/ministerial car, reason i ask is because of specific things on the car like on the bonnet there is a australian flag on a pole that can be attached and removed and there is reading lights in the car like chrome snake lights so to speak, from what i have been told is that the vehicle was bought into Auistralia from America by the Government and then was sold to a vietnam veterian and then sold to me making me the third owner of it. And from what i can find on the internet is that there is no others like this in australia, there is same year and model but none with the Government side of things on them. any information would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers Dave.

mungbeetle is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2007, 09:38 PM   #2
Flouro_Joe
Banned

390 Galaxie was a model you could buy here.
Flouro_Joe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2007, 09:39 PM   #3
Fairlane
V8 Powaah

Beautiful car those late Gal's (Fan of the 66 here though) and I can buy the story it is an Australian government car.

Ford Australia did import Galaxie's through to about 73 and did the RHD work and compliance at Broadmeadows, the LTD of course made it redundant thereafter- plus of course Ford US moving on to Crown Vics and whatever.

But i have heard common stories about Galaxies being used as Permiers cars and ive seen quite a few 72 Galaxies myself with histories as official cars- they after all were top of the line and something else in the days before the LTD, Statesman and the latter Fairlanes.

XF S pack Sedan- AU 302 Windsor, T5, 2.77 LSD, Many Mods
Fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2007, 09:40 PM   #4
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

PICS!!!!!!!!!!!

Sounds interesting to say the least.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2007, 09:43 PM   #5
Tote
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

May have been a US embassy car? If it was a direct us import it would have had a different spec to the Australian LTDs as ours came via Canada.
I remember reading about the reading lamps being fitted to the Bill Bourke big block XW GT so they could be a ford part.
More questions than answers I'm afraid though. Welcome to the forums !
Regards,
Tote
Old 17-06-2007, 09:47 PM   #6
Fairlane
V8 Powaah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tote
May have been a US embassy car? If it was a direct us import it would have had a different spec to the Australian LTDs as ours came via Canada.
I remember reading about the reading lamps being fitted to the Bill Bourke big block XW GT so they could be a ford part.
More questions than answers I'm afraid though. Welcome to the forums !
Regards,
Tote
Only the early Gal's came from Canada, like the Fairlanes.

Latter ones were made from CKD in Brisbane i believe and from about 68 onwards they were imported from US and RHD'ed at Broadmeadows.

XF S pack Sedan- AU 302 Windsor, T5, 2.77 LSD, Many Mods
Fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2007, 11:21 PM   #7
1970galaxie
Fat 460

I'm led to believe that up to 68, they were ex Canadian.
69-72, they were imported from the US. Thats why they had the LHD brake booster, and used long rods to activate them from the right hand drivers side.
2003 BA XR8 Ute. Blood Orange. 5.4/5 speed.
2006 Territory Turbo. Silhouette. 4.0/6 speed auto.
1970galaxie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2007, 09:03 PM   #8
irsa76
Snoopping

Give Comcar a call, sorry not sure of their contact details. They might still have all records of the fleet.
irsa76 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2007, 09:19 PM   #9
mungbeetle
Starter Motor

Thanks heaps all of you for the info so far, my gal does have the brake booster on the left hand side and is right hand drive will get some pics happening too. Any more info on any others like mine or pics would be grand.

cheers dave.
Old 18-06-2007, 10:12 PM   #10
Paull
P6 LTD

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For all the hard work performed around paint, trim, engine codes in the Classics section. General all round knwoledge and willingness to impart on others 

I had a P6 LTD that was also an ex Commcar vehicle. It was Malcom Fraser's standby car (or so the fellow that sold it to me said). At any rate, it also had those snake like chrome felxible lights in it as well. I actually wrote off to Ford getting a letter back from them saying that the car was bought by Leaseplan. That is, Commcar leased from Leaseplan (which kinda makes sense).

So I suppose you could contact Ford to getter a letter from them. I would dare say that if it was an ex govy vehicle, it will show Leaseplan as the original owner
Paull is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2007, 10:22 AM   #11
henry 351
Punch it baby, punch it.

Location: Working hard. If you work hard you get the goodies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mungbeetle
Hi i have reciently joined the ford forums site to see if anybody is able to help me with some knowledge and history.

Well i have a 1972 Ford Galaxie, the strange thing is that it is apparently a ex-government/ministerial car, reason i ask is because of specific things on the car like on the bonnet there is a australian flag on a pole that can be attached and removed and there is reading lights in the car like chrome snake lights so to speak, from what i have been told is that the vehicle was bought into Auistralia from America by the Government and then was sold to a vietnam veterian and then sold to me making me the third owner of it. And from what i can find on the internet is that there is no others like this in australia, there is same year and model but none with the Government side of things on them. any information would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers Dave.
There are a few ex-Government ones still around Dave.

69-70 Galaxies ran the 390, 71-72 Galaxies ran the 2 barrel 400 Cleveland. Pretty sure you will find (as mention) that Ford bought this model to Australia as a factory offering until the local P5 LTD was released in 1973.

A friend of mine owns a '72 Galaxie that was the Premier of NSW's car. It sounds similar to yours with the extra reading lights etc.

They are a great car and under rated in my opinion. Yes I used to own one and regret selling it!!!
Old 01-11-2016, 02:22 PM   #12
mungbeetle
Starter Motor

Smile Re: Can anybody help me? FORD GALAXIE

Sorry its been so long but life has its ups and downs.
Old 01-11-2016, 03:41 PM   #13
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

Default Re: Can anybody help me? FORD GALAXIE

.............and????

Where's the car?

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 01-11-2016, 05:08 PM   #14
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushbasher View Post
.............and????

Where's the car?
By the time you get an answer you will be close to your 20 year membership me thinks.......
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-11-2016, 06:43 PM   #15
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post