Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 08-03-2017, 01:23 AM   #1
thecritta
Starter Motor

Default Need Help Remembering the Details Of An Old Car Accident

I was wondering if anybody could help me I have been trying to look up the details of an old car accident I was nearly involved in it was a huge bumper to bumper to bumper pile up.

One night me and both my parents where driving home from my child psychiatrists appointment at the children's hospital along the highway
for some reason all the traffic was banked up we where driving an old green XC Falcon we where stopped behind either an EB or an ED Falcon station wagon we where sitting in the far right hand lane next to the concrete barrier as we where sitting there my father noticed some bright headlights approaching fast from behind us it was a dirty big Toyota Land Cruiser and he wasn't stopping he was not slowing down he was doing about 100 km I think he might have been distracted cant be sure by my father pulled out just in time to witness him hit the back of the Falcon Station wagon my father thinks he pushed the back of the wagon up to the back passenger seat he watched him hit the Falcon I remember as we drove past I watched them being pushed in the back of each other I cant be to sure but I think there was glass flying everywhere I don't remember hearing any sound my father thinks he got a total of 19 cars.

We where lucky the traffic in the second right hand lane had started to move again I don't think there could have been 19 cars it would have taken too much kinetic energy to push all of those cars into the back of each other I think it was more like 12 cars or around that number.

The only thing is the old XC Falcon had a 90 litre gas tank in it and it was sitting right behind me my father worked at the Ford Motor Company in Broadmeadows for 20 years he is a Mechanical Engineer and he built the type of car that was hit the scary thing is he said the gas tank would have gone right through the back passenger seat and would be sitting in in the front passenger seat where he was sitting which makes sense seem as how those gas tanks are held on by two ****y thin metal straps he said the back of the station wagons are slightly stronger than the back of a sedan.

I think the gas tank would have ruptured and caused a huge explosion or slowly cooked itself off and there would have been a huge fire I think there all three of us would have been killed if it had of been a full gas tank I think more people could have been killed.

This has been bugging me on and off for quiet some time don't ask me why I have tried searching for information on google to no avail this accident happened on the m2 Freeway right before the Brunswick road exit I was about 16 or 17 at the time this happened in either 1996 or 1997.

I have been killed nearly 6 or 7 times and lived to talk about it although I think nobody will believe me anyhow I think the reason it bugs me is because this is the only time I was nearly killed and I only know half the details I want to know why he did what he did and I want to know if anyone was killed or not.

I was wondering if anyone could help me I was wondering whether anyone might remember this accident through seeing it on the news reading in the paper or knowing somebody that was involved in it or was there at the time.

Does anybody have any photo's of old car accidents?

I apologise if this is not in the correct forum I didn't know where to put it.

Thankyou and take care thecritta
thecritta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2017, 10:06 AM   #2
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Need Help Remembering the Details Of An Old Car Accident

Interesting first post....

Are you talking about a LPG tank or a fuel tank?

Fuel tanks in an XC are bolted in with 20 or so bolts, it ain't going through the seat or exploding...
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2017, 10:48 AM   #3
minheim

If you have the date of the accident your best option would be to go to a library that holds copies of old newspapers (electronic or microfiche fiche) and check the major daily newspaper. If it was that big a multicar accident it should have made the paper that day or the next.
minheim is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 08-03-2017, 10:50 AM   #4
Iggle Piggle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

^ See that thing there? Try it some time...it's a no cost option.
Iggle Piggle is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 08-03-2017, 11:17 AM   #5
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
Interesting first post....
That's an understatement.
To the OP this accident occurred 20 years ago, you seem to remember it quite vividly. What additional information were you seeking?
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 08-03-2017, 01:08 PM   #6
Sabantien
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Old newspapers are available online.
http://trove.nla.gov.au/
Sabantien is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2017, 07:45 PM   #7
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

Quote:
Old newspapers are available online.
http://trove.nla.gov.au/
But generally not issues from the 1980's , and 1990's and later.
Old 08-03-2017, 08:26 PM   #8
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

https://youtu.be/R_f1uCWKZQs

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2017, 09:07 PM   #9
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecritta View Post
I have been killed nearly 6 or 7 times and lived to talk about it
What does it feel like to be killed?
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2017, 09:17 PM   #10
.:4:.
Kicking back

Quote:
Originally Posted by malazn mafia View Post
What does it feel like to be killed?
I'm guessing the terminology may be a tad extreme. Killed or died means there is no coming back. To be revived means you were on the brink of death, but salvageable. Kind of like being electocuted. That implies your dead. If you have copped a shock, zap or a belt, it means you have come into contact with power and worst case been revived but are still alive. I've copped many belts over the years, but it comes with the industry.
.:4:. is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 08-03-2017, 09:53 PM   #11
xr8territory
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

How did the therapy go?
I assume it is ongoing.
XW UTE, XW FAIRMONT, XT GT, XT Fairmont, EF XR8, XH XR8 UTE, XH XR8 UTE, AU UTE, Renault Scenic, XF UTE, BA XR8 UTE, TERRITORY, Chrysler Voyager, WS FIESTA ZETEC,TERRITORY TITANIUM, BA UTE, Nissan Pathfinder, AU Falcon Forte, BA XR8 UTE.
xr8territory is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 08-03-2017, 10:25 PM   #12
MDS69
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What country was this in.
MDS69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2017, 12:46 PM   #13
Sabantien
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiblue View Post
But generally not issues from the 1980's , and 1990's and later.
They have up to 2011, but admittedly I don't know how many issues and which newspapers.

I don't know where this accident was, so no idea what newspapers to look in to check.
Sabantien is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post