Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 11-03-2006, 11:07 PM   #1
b2tf
not here much anymore

Default Battery gawn?

Focus has started playing up tonight, almost stalling at idle and battery light flashing on and off every now and then. Very sluggish to drive too. Im 99% sure its the battery - am I right?

Also, seeing as it needs a Ca battery, any recommendations as to what brand. Going to have to pick one up in the morning.

Old 12-03-2006, 02:19 AM   #2
BlackLS

First check if your alternator is still good... Have you got a multimeter? If so start the engine and measure across the terminals. If its at a steady 13.5 or so volts, alternator should be ok and its the battery thats the prob... If its varying ie 13.8 one sec, 12.3 the next, then back up etc. the Reg has probably died or the contacts around the reg arent clean... If its low, like in the 12s, then the alternator has probably died. Also see how it behaves the high beams put on and off, holding the engine at 2500rpm etc...

For replacement batteries can't really go wrong with Optima, if you want a long lasting maintainence free battery.

Otherwise, just get a brand name battery with good warranty.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2006, 12:06 PM   #3
b2tf
not here much anymore

Ran the diagnostic test this morning (no multimeter), and am getting a pretty constant 13.8 all round. noticed the lights were dimmer as i was driving last night, and no unusual stuff other than it almost stalling when i first start it.

might whack a new battery in this morning and see how it goes. alternator etc should be fine, never had any problems with it before.
Old 12-03-2006, 12:36 PM   #4
outback_ute
Ute Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

The battery shouldn't matter while engine is running as the electrickery is provided by the alternator, unless it is totally stuffed I suppose (not completing circuit). It is easier to test a new battery than alt. though!
outback_ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2006, 07:03 PM   #5
WASP
Whipple Induced

Make sure your battery isn't leaking. We were having similar issues for a while then they found that the Oz spec battery they use for these cars was leaking at the 3k service. Battery was replaced (along with half the engine bay: ) and all is ok now.
Old 12-03-2006, 07:42 PM   #6
b2tf
not here much anymore

all done, battery was cactus. alt fine.

after the new one was put in i went for a fairly long drive, it learned itself well so it's a bit more responsive than before. very odd though as it was perfectly mine yesterday morning - this morning it was a complete dog.

the idle RPM still seems a bit low to me, but its not stalling or feeling like its going to, so for now it'll do. due for a service soon so it'll get the once over, going to do plugs and leads too.