Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 16-03-2006, 12:43 AM   #1
jonk

Default Holden plant at Elizabeth being sold to a Japanese company ?

Came via the Crikey daily email news bulletin - in the 'Unsubstantiated tips & rumours' section.

"Ask Mr Rann and union officials why they aren't screaming about the possibility of the Holden plant at Elizabeth being sold to a Japanese company, who may or may not continue operations in South Australia. Consider the cataclysmic effect this would have on the economy and unemployment, quite apart from losing an icon dearly beloved by South Australians (and possibly Australians per se). Remember the outrage at the demise of Balfours* and wonder why there is not a murmur. Could it have to do with an election?"

*BTW, Balfours was an iconic bakery in SA.

And since GMH is broke over in the US, what would it really matter to their share price if they got rid of a small subsidiary OS ?

China really does look like being too good a tempting base to work from than Oz;be interested to know how much Holden actually has made in profit over the last few years ?

The above sounding scenario/sell off by GMH really doesn't sound that far fetched considering the circumstances GM has found itself in of late.

jonk is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2006, 02:53 PM   #2
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wow, the rumour is just slightly a little bit cryptic.

As for GM, they have put in place a new restructure plan for their current financial position (or lack thereof), with little effect on Aussie production as it stands for the VE (although longer term R&D expenditure on cars may be in doubt).

While the sale of the plant to a japanese company, like Toyota, would be a good exit strategy for GM to dump the plant and run, I don't think that GM are in that dire position quite yet.
Dave_au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2006, 05:52 PM   #3
Sourbastard
Contributing Member

easy enough to tell. Ill just paint "NIITAKA YAMA NABORE" on the front gates.

If Pearl Harbour gets bombed tomorrow, we know theres a definite japanese influence at the plant.

1965 XP Falcon Deluxe Sedan
1978 XC Falcon Wagon Rallypack
2003 BA Fairlane G220

Windsor Powah!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7hT9dxD2hM

Sourbastard is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2006, 06:09 PM   #4
4.9 EF Futura
Official AFF conservative

Lol - i dont make a habit of taking anything on crikey too seriously.... bunch of idiots. Want to see how political satire should be done then check out the Chaser

GMH profit figures are readily available... IIRC as a rule they trounce FoMoCos NPAT but ROI probably comparable....
Old 16-03-2006, 07:16 PM   #5
Wokkas
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I find that very very hard to believe. We do a lot of engineering work for GMH Elizabeth, and I know a lot of the top brass there. As far as I've heard, there are no plans for the immediate future of the plant.

It's a very easy topic for the media to fabricate stories about, what with the decline in new car sales, and the job cuts in USA.

I think GMH knew if it sent it's assembly operations offshore, alot of Commodore sales would go to Ford. Remember there are still some ****ers out there who actually buy Holdens because they think they are Australian.

As for Balfours... What's the story there? I thought they just moved factories? If their sales down, it's because their pies taste like sh*t, especially now Vilis is around.
Wokkas is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2006, 07:25 PM   #6
4.9 EF Futura
Official AFF conservative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wokkas
As for Balfours... What's the story there? I thought they just moved factories? If their sales down, it's because their pies taste like sh*t, especially now Vilis is around.
Think they restructured, ala Harris Scarfes... more of a management issue I think as opposed to a product issue... iconic SA businesses like that have a habit of resting in their laurels...
Old 16-03-2006, 07:28 PM   #7
Wokkas
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.9 EF Futura
Think they restructured, ala Harris Scarfes... more of a management issue I think as opposed to a product issue... iconic SA businesses like that have a habit of resting in their laurels...

Well there you go. Never heard about that. Yeah, sad about about Harris Scarfes too. They tell me the pie floater van is foreign owned now too. That's beyond sad.
Old 17-03-2006, 01:04 AM   #8
54Ghia

If you buy stuff from overseas, think about this really carefully, what can they do with our money???????????
Where is the only place you can actually spend Australian dollars?????
Sure you can swap currencies and all that crap but at the end of the day, we..you give someone our dollars, which in really basic terms is an IOU, ie you give me Hyundia, I give you IOU, to come back here and buy something off me/us.
What the hell do we expect overseas countries to do with billions of AU$s of IOUs from us other than come back here and buy something??? What would you do????

This is such a really basic principle that no one seems to get!

Oh bugger too much wine late at night again!@#%%
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2006, 01:55 AM   #9
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

GM is shutting 12 factories and sacking 30000 employees by 2008.

Ford is doing the same though.....
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2006, 04:46 PM   #10
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6 Martin
GM is shutting 12 factories and sacking 30000 employees by 2008.

Ford is doing the same though.....
Ford is closing 11 factories and getting rid of 25000 employees. Most of this is happening in North America.
vztrt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2006, 07:17 PM   #11
Wokkas
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54Ghia
If you buy stuff from overseas, think about this really carefully, what can they do with our money???????????
Where is the only place you can actually spend Australian dollars?????
Sure you can swap currencies and all that crap but at the end of the day, we..you give someone our dollars, which in really basic terms is an IOU, ie you give me Hyundia, I give you IOU, to come back here and buy something off me/us.
What the hell do we expect overseas countries to do with billions of AU$s of IOUs from us other than come back here and buy something??? What would you do????

This is such a really basic principle that no one seems to get!

Oh bugger too much wine late at night again!@#%%

Ummmm, doesn't quite work like that mate.

When we buy something from overseas, we don't send over a bundle of Australian dollars. Our reserve bank withdraws the money from circulation, while their reserve bank adds it to their circulation. All done as electronic balances.
Old 19-03-2006, 10:20 AM   #12
act2617

[QUOTE=Wokkas]Ummmm, doesn't quite work like that mate.

When we buy something from overseas, we don't send over a bundle of Australian dollars. Our reserve bank withdraws the money from circulation, while their reserve bank adds it to their circulation. All done as electronic balances.[/QUOTE

All trades are done in US Dollars !!
act2617 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2006, 06:42 PM   #13
birdy
birdy

At the end of the day who gives a #### there's nothing you or i can do about it,We'll just ИИИИИ and complain or maybe threaten some sort of buyer boycott but time will beat us remember if you open the bonnet of your ford check how many parts are made in asia!!!!
Old 21-03-2006, 12:23 AM   #14
54Ghia

Don't worry about how, it's the principle. Eventually someone "comes back" to get something in exchange for what they gave you.....no mater how complicated or high tech you want it to seem...money is simply an easy way to barter.
Old 21-03-2006, 12:28 AM   #15
54Ghia

One thing you can do...make sure every mod or piece of equipment you put into your car is made or installed by sponsor on this site or similar local tradesman.
Old 21-03-2006, 12:30 AM   #16
kempster1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonk
Came via the Crikey daily email news bulletin - in the 'Unsubstantiated tips & rumours' section.

"Ask Mr Rann and union officials why they aren't screaming about the possibility of the Holden plant at Elizabeth being sold to a Japanese company, who may or may not continue operations in South Australia. Consider the cataclysmic effect this would have on the economy and unemployment, quite apart from losing an icon dearly beloved by South Australians (and possibly Australians per se). Remember the outrage at the demise of Balfours* and wonder why there is not a murmur. Could it have to do with an election?"

*BTW, Balfours was an iconic bakery in SA.

And since GMH is broke over in the US, what would it really matter to their share price if they got rid of a small subsidiary OS ?

China really does look like being too good a tempting base to work from than Oz;be interested to know how much Holden actually has made in profit over the last few years ?

The above sounding scenario/sell off by GMH really doesn't sound that far fetched considering the circumstances GM has found itself in of late.
They can have it...
Then we can call Holdens Jap crap aswell
kempster1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2006, 09:29 PM   #17
birdy
birdy

54 ghia could you live on 2 dollars a day enough to buy your rice which is the staple diet or would you prefer the life style you have being able to afford and run a nice blue ovaled car choice may be yours soon!!!
Old 28-03-2006, 04:16 PM   #18
54Ghia

Hey Birdy, I don't get your point????

I was discussing why overseas countries come here and spend money ie buy up land or factories. The point being countries barter. If you buy something off an overseas country, the only thing they can do with your IOU is come back here and spend it, either dirrectly or indirectly.
I then said suport people here that make products or supply labour such as the sponsors, this keeps some of the $ here.