Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 04-08-2006, 06:42 PM   #1
bArNsY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Geelong Speed Trials called off again

History at risk
Cities circle speed trials
BY ANDREW MATHIESON
Other venues are circling Geelong's speed trials as the historic event spends another year off the city's major events calendar, the organiser has warned.

Speed trials director Gary Grant said he was resisting offers to shift the event but interest was coming from prospective hosts including Melbourne's Docklands. The trials have been a Geelong institution since 1956 but have gone into recess since 2004 amid a dispute between Mr. Grant and City Hall.

A return this year has been ruled out. Mr. Grant said he was fielding offers to host the trials outside Geelong "all the time". He did not want to take the event to Docklands. "It wouldn't be the same," Mr Grant said. "You can't substitute history." Mr Grant, a state manager with Australian Motor-sport, admitted to "frustration" over a lack of support from Geelong's council. "I'm helping run or facilitating events around Victoria but I can't run something significant in my own backyard," he said.

Mr Grant blamed "ideology" at City Hall for the fall out as well as a new generation of councillors and officers who "wanted to do their own things". Council major events portfolio-holder Bruce Harwood denied Mr Grant's allegations that City Hall would not cooperate. "The City has in the past recommended a range of improvement options relating to the event's infrastructure, funding, management and sponsorship procurement, with the key issue being the disruption to traffic and other activities on the waterfront,” he said. Council's Geelong Major Events had not received a funding application for the speed trials since 2004, Cr Harwood said.

Taken from Geelong Independent 4/8/06

2004 BA MkII XR6 Turbo

2009 G6E Turbo (277.2rwkw @ Tuned at Bullet Performance Racing)
2007 Audi S5 4.2L V8 manual (Supersprint exhaust, MMI 3G+ retrofit)

The New: 2015 SZ MkII Territory Titanium Petrol RWD (With Sync 3 Upgrade)

Other Road Toys

Silver Surfer
2014 S-Works Roubaix SL4 road bike with Roval Rapide CLX 40 wheelset

The Adventurer!
2023 TREK Domane SL 7 AXS Gen 4
bArNsY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2006, 06:56 PM   #2
xbgs351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think Geelong's council must hate cars. Just look at what they did to Malop St and the Esplanade. They went from two lanes each way to a constipated single lane each way. They deliberately screwed Ritchie Boulevard up so that it was unsuitable for the sprints.
xbgs351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2006, 08:27 PM   #3
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the city of greater geelong need to have their heads read

the amount of people it brings to geelong is enourmas and the money they spend is huge

jason

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jason[98.EL] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2006, 08:31 PM   #4
LUXO_8
windsor user

such a shame....i used to go every year

was an awesome event!
LUXO_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2006, 09:32 PM   #5
jd dad
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Whats next? The All Ford Day?
Old 04-08-2006, 09:34 PM   #6
LUXO_8
windsor user

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd dad
Whats next? The All Ford Day?
they wouldnt bloody want to :jab:
LUXO_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2006, 10:19 PM   #7
Brute6
Lurvin' my Ute!!!

This was one of the biggest money earners for Geelong. How can the council not see how much it benifits the whole region? But I guess its just typical of councils to ruin anything positive other than their own pay packets.....

HERS: SZ Territory TS, Havana

Proud Member "FPV & XR Owners Club of Vic"

Brute6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2006, 05:45 AM   #8
Polyal
The 'Stihl' Man
Donating Member2

Im so ****ed about this.

Im moved to geelong about 4 years ago, and I missed it the first couple of times as I didn't know about it.

I find out, and every year its been cancelled. Butt Holes! if its not on next year then it should be moved for sure.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2006, 02:49 PM   #9
Bossxr8
Peter Car

What do you expect from the Geelong Council. They cut 2 lanes down to one to INCREASE traffic flow, spend millions doing it before they realize that it makes the traffic worse so plan to spend another few million to undo it. Retards.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post