Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 13-10-2006, 09:07 PM   #31
HLC
Audi S3

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6-VCT-2000
Ah yeah the Gibsons ! , i forgot about them , they're a sweet guitar too , there more my preference in the older range of guitars ( the old SG's and Les Pauls )
im gonna try and get every gibson model in Cherry red...

i got a SG, in cherry red, and a epiphone Les Paul in red quilted maple. but i want an Explorer, V and real LP all in cherry red! i want the whole set :

my favourite part, is that the last 3 digits of the serial number on my SG are 666! how metal is that :sm_headba
Old 14-10-2006, 02:33 PM   #32
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

Thanks Stugots,

coincidence huh / good song that "I'm not afraid of the Police", there is a Spanish Paul Gilbert/Mr.Big cover band called ALLIGATOR FARM that does a good cover of that song too ( i found it on youtube a while back ), they do it really well .

Strangely i actually haven't heard of Michael Romeo or Symphony X, I'll have to check it out ;) thx .. cheers mate .

------------------------------------

HLC...

OMG ! , you got a cherry red SG with serial number 666 ! , lucky man , alot of people would want that guitar / including myself ..hehehe . If you ever plan to sell it , let me know (allthough i doubt you ever will sell it ) ..lol

The explorer was a nice shape too , i never been too much a fan of the V's though as i found them almost impossible to sit them on your lap to play / have to play them standing up / or hook the V over ya leg when sitting down. Although they are a nice looking shape .

cheers.

:eclipsee_
XR6-VCT-2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2006, 06:24 PM   #33
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

Ok , I don't want to make this thread a re-occuring topic , so I'm just going to finish it up with the following (unless someone starts the tread again asking a question etc. etc.) ................

A special thanks to whoever it was that gave my second video clip a 4 star rating too .. ty.

Special thanks for the people that rated me , I'de also like to thank everyone who took the time to watch my clips , as your views and ratings combined has now put my clips into the youtube charts . Thanks again everyone so much .

Regards Rick , Cheers . :

Old 14-10-2006, 11:50 PM   #34
RATT

Hi there Rick. You seem to have some skill there!

As a fellow guitarist I'd like to offer my opinion if it's ok.

Your original tune sounds good. Although I think it will sound better again if you simplify it alittle. A "clean up" I suppose is the best term I can think of.

What else are you into? Keep up the great work!
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2006, 09:36 AM   #35
HLC
Audi S3

Quote:
HLC...

OMG ! , you got a cherry red SG with serial number 666 ! , lucky man , alot of people would want that guitar / including myself ..hehehe . If you ever plan to sell it , let me know (allthough i doubt you ever will sell it ) ..lol

The explorer was a nice shape too , i never been too much a fan of the V's though as i found them almost impossible to sit them on your lap to play / have to play them standing up / or hook the V over ya leg when sitting down. Although they are a nice looking shape .

cheers.
yeah mate! its totally awesome!!! and with a serial number like that, im not selling it anytime soon :P

i really like V's. and yeah you can only play them standing up though, which is cool with me, cause ya dont play gigs sitting down ;) guitaring, like cars, is just so expensive :P
Old 15-10-2006, 07:46 PM   #36
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RATT
Hi there Rick. You seem to have some skill there!

As a fellow guitarist I'd like to offer my opinion if it's ok.

Your original tune sounds good. Although I think it will sound better again if you simplify it alittle. A "clean up" I suppose is the best term I can think of.

What else are you into? Keep up the great work!
Thanks mate , yeah i think it's me that needs the cleanup more than anything .. hehehe , im rusty as on the guitar at the moment , i haven't played it in years / my fingers have sorta ceased up ..lol

I've also gotta get around to getting a new amp too , im running through my pc with 'fxbox' and out through the stereo at the moment ! .. doesn't sound the best.

There is a list of the other Artists i like back in post #16 in this thread .

cheers mate .

Old 16-10-2006, 01:14 AM   #37
normxb
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Location: Sitting on the Dunny , Contemplating "What to do Next".

Hey Rick
Sorry , I'm on D/up & nearly out of D/load limit for this month already :yeees: , so will go for a squizz ASAP next month ( bugger ) . Am intrested in a listen & look at your guitar . I had a music shop in Blacktown , Sydney for 13 yrs and was an Ibanez dealer , really great guitars , earlier ones were a bit ??? but from the mid 70's Les Paul copies that Gibson threatened to sue them for (because they were EXACT copies) onwards they have been top quality .

I had heaps of offers by Ibanez owners for this (only available to dealers) but it "ain't going nowhere" : pretty rare .

I've been a muso for ..... Daa 40 years this year, worked Clubs & Pubs since 1970 (old bugger , but love all types of music) so "come on 1st Nov..." & I can log on & have a look.

I've got a Strat copy with a Kahler locking tremolo just for the single coil sound but not really the guitar I like . Here's a pic of my "Pride & Joy" , Gibson 1975 Les Paul Gold Top Deluxe , I bought it new in 1976 . Changes = Schaller M/heads , Dimarzio PAF (neck , 50's sound) Dimarzio Dual sound (bridge , in phase/out of phase , switchable) , Schaller "roller bridge" & Gibson "Fine tune" tailpiece . Still in good condition considering it was used 2-3 nights a week for 25 years .

HLC , pitty I left the business , I had a few of those models you are after go through the shop , some in Very good Cond . Best Fenders were Pre 1964 , thats when CBS bought out Leo Fender & the qualty went down (some were assembled in Mexico with USA parts), but Leo made "G & L" guitars after the "time limit" was up (20 yrs I think), worth a look at for Fender fans !!! They had the old Fender Magic feel & sound .

Keeping FORDS in the family

(Embarressment :yeees: , Son now has a "Camira" : )
"Look Right , Look Left , Look Right , BEFORE crossing Roads"
normxb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2006, 01:42 AM   #38
normxb
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Sold it all about 10 years ago though (kept my guitars though) after finishing up with bands for a while. Still spewing to this day though that i sold the golden edition marshall head though .
Maaate , I haven't used my gear for 4 years , but it's still stacked up in my office here at home (10 Gtrs , Gtr Amp , PA , Effects pedals etc.), I saw so many guys sell their gear and were sorry afterwards . Lucky my 2 daughters are musically inclined as well , so they give it a "blast" every now and then , gives you a real buzz to see your kids have the same hobby as yourself : .

Old 20-10-2006, 10:12 AM   #39
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

normxb ..... hehehehe! I want that clock ! ..lol , no chance though i know .

anyway...

I've added a few guitar clips/riffs/songs and adding new video footage all the time,
you can check out what i have done so far by clicking on this link if you like http://www.youtube.com/profile_video...ntilitsallgone

cheers.

Old 21-10-2006, 11:41 PM   #40
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

I just added a quick clip of my guitar , as in all my videos so far it has been a bit dark and hard to see. No sound with this short clip , it's just a quick view over my guitar so you can see the shape of it etc etc . http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_3kV8AeenE

cheers

Old 24-10-2006, 07:53 PM   #41
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

A Quick 'Magic' trick performed with my false teeth ! , listed under ...
'Quick guitar harmonic - Where's my teeth ? ' http://www.youtube.com/view_play_lis...431361669AD142

i hope you get a laught out of it , maybe don't be eating anything while watching it ! , lol , cheers.

Old 25-10-2006, 10:52 AM   #42
SwarvJarv
Ea Falcon S

Mr Big has one of the best guitarist in the world in it, i mean Pual Gilbert.....i once seen him play a wicked solo using a corless power drill with a pick on the end of it.....Nice guitar too.....
5 speed Manual
Motivator Headers with 2.1/2" RedBack system
XR x GT Hybrid Body
15" 'Snowflakes'
90' GL Interior
Custom Black Vinyl Roof
Custom Console Lid
9" LCD + PS2
Boss CD/MP3 head unit 50x4w
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmyers
I was considering chucking on a full Kappa tracksuit but reconsidered :P

Last edited by SwarvJarv; 25-10-2006 at 11:12 AM.
SwarvJarv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2006, 11:19 AM   #43
The Monty
Just slidin'

All sounds good dude. If you were in Brissy, Id say we'd have to catch up for a Jam.
Old 25-10-2006, 03:33 PM   #44
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwarvJarv
Mr Big has one of the best guitarist in the world in it, i mean Pual Gilbert.....i once seen him play a wicked solo using a corless power drill with a pick on the end of it.....Nice guitar too......
Yeah he is a very talented guitar player , that solo is awesome too !, it was a very original idea at the time , nice effect it gave off too. Thanks for the nice comment on my guitar , although it is looking a little worse for wear these days , needs some tlc ..lol ,
cheers mate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Monty
All sounds good dude. If you were in Brissy, Id say we'd have to catch up for a Jam.
Mate I wish ! , i have been hanging to have a jam with someone , everyone i used to know who played instruments has either disappeared or moved on and not local anymore :( .. ah well , thanks for the nice comment too , cheers mate.

I just addded another bit of lead before too if anyone wants to have a listen ( its in my playlist link above ), it's a bit of slowish original lead , just improvising while messing around with an effect on 'fxbox' pc effects sortware. :

Old 25-10-2006, 05:09 PM   #45
Stugots
2006 Focus LX Hatch

Quote:
Yeah he is a very talented guitar player , that solo is awesome too !, it was a very original idea at the time , nice effect it gave off too.
I remember Eddie Van Halen using a cordless drill on the song 'Poundcake' but i think it was just the motor over the pickups. I'd say he tried to copy Paul Gilbert.

Love the clock Normxb.

I reckon the late 80's - mid 90's Jap made Ibanez RG's were the best ever.
I'd sell my soul for a mint Ibanez Jem BFP.

I was recently showing some others a resto I did on a Heartfield (a Fender made by Ibanez Japan) a couple of years ago.

before

after

The maple neck has some nice tiger stripe grain happening.
Stugots is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2006, 06:37 PM   #46
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

Nice guitar mate , hey that looks like a TRS-101 tremelo on that guitar ( same as mine used to have on it originaly ) , very nice restoration job ;) . It even looks like an Ibanez , i didn't Know Ibanez made a guitar registered under the fender tm. ! .

My new youtube clip just finished activating itself , i sorta got a wierd sound with the effects , i pumped it up 12+ semitones , it sorta gives the effect of a 7 string guitar !
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CVettjIUOg

cheers.

Old 25-10-2006, 10:03 PM   #47
Stugots
2006 Focus LX Hatch

nice noodling! what kind of pitch bender you using. Digitech? I get a very similar effect from my Boss ME-8 but it's not as nice as yours.

Yeah, this guitar is a Heartfield Talon V 'by Fender'. It's very similar to a higher spec Jap Ibanez RG but with Stock Dimarzio pickups, TBX and a genuine Floyd Rose Pro.

Vinnie Moore used to play these babies

I also have a white Heartfield Talon II which has the same pickups, Floyd Rose Original and dot inlays but the favourite is my 1992 Ibanez RG570 with DiMarzio Air Norton/Fast Track/Steve's Special and the wonderful Edge trem.

Last edited by Stugots; 25-10-2006 at 10:24 PM.
Old 25-10-2006, 10:13 PM   #48
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

lmao - it's not even a guitar fx 'unit' im using at the moment / so to say !,

I',m running my guitar into my mic port on my pc and running 'FXBOX' pc effects guitar software , and driving it out straigh out of my pc into some rubbish portable stereo with junk speakers ..lol , but yeah it is impressive even on this end for a cheap *** setup , i can't wait to get another decent tube amp & quady again and pump this effects software through it. Excellent piece of software / heaps of adjustable effects too .

The full list of fully adjustable effects are ( and u can run them single or run as many as you like simutaniously together, and program/save them as presets to the F1 to F12 Function keys.

Distortion/Overdrive
I/O EQ
Echo
Pitch
AutoWah
EnvWah
Reverb
Chorus
Tremelo
Compressor
Phaser
Noisegate

Only a 0.5 MB setup file/program too , if you want it send me a fowarding email address to my fordforums mail/messages .

Oh yeah , your guitar does look like an early RG , i actually though it was when i first saw the pics until i read ya writeup, my kinda guitar ! ;) cheers.

Last edited by XR6-VCT-2000; 25-10-2006 at 10:31 PM.
Old 26-10-2006, 08:41 PM   #49
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

Quote:
The full list of fully adjustable effects are ( and u can run them single or run as many as you like simutaniously together, and program/save them as presets to the F1 to F12 Function keys.

Distortion/Overdrive
I/O EQ
Echo
Pitch
AutoWah
EnvWah
Reverb
Chorus
Tremelo
Compressor
Phaser
Noisegate

Only a 0.5 MB setup file/program too , if you want it send me a fowarding email address to my fordforums mail/messages .
Surely there must be a few of you guitar players / bass players or even singers that might find this program usefull, tiny program but very powerfull , i used to have a Boss ME-5 years ago and other various effects , but this seems to leave it for dead , it would be great to hear this setup plugged into an amp.

It would even be possible to make a wooden case with 12 pedals that holds a chordless keyboard , and have the 12 pedals funtioning the f1 to f12 keys ! .

I'll pass it on free if anyone here wants it no worries , cheers. :

Oh , if anyone is feeling kind enough , or bored enough , i still have 2 video's on youtube without ratings or comments ... thanks again everyone .

1/... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilbdr_6Ap5A
2/... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CVettjIUOg

Old 27-10-2006, 01:33 AM   #50
Stugots
2006 Focus LX Hatch

Quote:
Surely there must be a few of you guitar players / bass players or even singers that might find this program usefull, tiny program but very powerfull , i used to have a Boss ME-5 years ago and other various effects , but this seems to leave it for dead , it would be great to hear this setup plugged into an amp.

It would even be possible to make a wooden case with 12 pedals that holds a chordless keyboard , and have the 12 pedals funtioning the f1 to f12 keys ! .

I'll pass it on free if anyone here wants it no worries , cheers. :
Is it available for Mac?
Old 27-10-2006, 05:38 AM   #51
qwigybo
hunting 300kw's

the only problem i saw with it viewer wise is that the rest of the music was too loud for the guitar.
well done for having a go though mate
qwigybo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2006, 05:48 AM   #52
normxb
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stugots
I remember Eddie Van Halen using a cordless drill on the song 'Poundcake' but i think it was just the motor over the pickups. I'd say he tried to copy Paul Gilbert.

Love the clock Normxb.

I reckon the late 80's - mid 90's Jap made Ibanez RG's were the best ever.
I'd sell my soul for a mint Ibanez Jem BFP.

I was recently showing some others a resto I did on a Heartfield (a Fender made by Ibanez Japan) a couple of years ago.

before

after

The maple neck has some nice tiger stripe grain happening.
Stugots

Mate, nice job , I've seen some "Pro Jobs" that don't look that good .

Old 27-10-2006, 09:11 AM   #53
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stugots
Is it available for Mac?
Not that i'm aware of sorry :( , im sure there would be something out there for the mac though too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwigybo
the only problem i saw with it viewer wise is that the rest of the music was too loud for the guitar.
well done for having a go though mate
No worries, thanks for letting me know ;) , as i couldn't really tell/set it right on my end using the junky stereo im using ( i could hardly hear the music on my end compared to my guitar , so i had to turn the music up / i have the guitar and music all going through the 1 stereo/speakers ..lol ).
Out of all my videos i only recored 1 of them to a song/music anyway
(the Mr.Big song), the rest should be ok as they are just guitar playing.

cheers fellas . :

Old 27-10-2006, 11:10 AM   #54
muppet

Quote:
lmao - it's not even a guitar fx 'unit' im using at the moment / so to say !,

I',m running my guitar into my mic port on my pc and running 'FXBOX' pc effects guitar software , and driving it out straigh out of my pc into some rubbish portable stereo with junk speakers ..lol , but yeah it is impressive even on this end for a cheap *** setup , i can't wait to get another decent tube amp & quady again and pump this effects software through it. Excellent piece of software / heaps of adjustable effects too .

Distortion/Overdrive
I/O EQ
Echo
Pitch
AutoWah
EnvWah
Reverb
Chorus
Tremelo
Compressor
Phaser
Noisegate

Oh yeah , your guitar does look like an early RG , i actually though it was when i first saw the pics until i read ya writeup, my kinda guitar ! ;) cheers.
I think you may find that once you get a guitar amp again this program may not quite cut it for you. I have not heard a computer program that sounds anyware near as good as a good amp and/or distortion pedal set up. But I am shure someone that has been playing as long as you will know how they want to sound. I just think that once you start running at higher volumes it may let you down, but hay I could be wrong it may be just what you ar looking for. Those programes are great for getting you're ideas down onto the computer. Do you have any computer recording software ? I have guitar tracks 2 it's a bit old hat these days but it does the job .
Old 27-10-2006, 06:09 PM   #55
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

Muppet .......... Yeah i agree that most effects programs i have used are no where near up to scratch , especially once you run it through an amp.
But this 'fxbox' program realy has me interested to test it through an amp anyway , there is sooooooooooooooo many settings for this program and the sound effects quality craps all over any program i have ran in the past. The program is very realistic in its way as being very close to a DSP rack , just as meny presets / options / etc etc . Time will tell .. lol ;) .

(the pc also needs at least a 1.5 gig processor to be able to process the effects in real time and without any extra noise etc etc , around 800mh cpu gets u around 10ms delay , which the delay is prety much un-hearable anyway/ still sounds realtime. has funtions for midi in/out too etc etc.)

Im actually looking at buying an old Peavy 5150 valve head at the moment , I was never a huge peavy fan ( I always used marshall for big amps and fender amps for practice amps ), but i remember years back having a go througha 5150 amp and it sounded awesome . Depends how cheap i can get it , ill post some pics of it if i buy it .

Oh , recording software , i still use an old program called MUSIC2000, has heaps of samples and can take up to 100 tracks, alows me record my guitar in realtime with my added background track made from samples.

cheers.

Last edited by XR6-VCT-2000; 27-10-2006 at 06:23 PM.
Old 27-10-2006, 09:03 PM   #56
muppet

I know what you mean about effects quality I have a boss me10, it was the ducks nuts thing when I bought it but the effects on it sound like garbage when compared to some of these new programes . It was mainly the gain and distortion side of things I was getting at.
I cant tell you about a 5150 head but I do have a 5150 quad box and it is a very good sounding box . It is probably more suited to the heavy rock/metal side of things though(no surprises there concidering who it was built for). Every man and their dog in metal was useing one of the heads a few years ago so they must be ok (so one would be a good buy these days). Then the rectumfriers came out and everyone went to them but geez for $3500 and up they can keep them.
How cheap is cheap for the 5150 head ?
Old 28-10-2006, 11:10 AM   #57
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

I can get the head for $300 , it has no valves , but i still have the original valves from my old 1969 gold edition mashall head i used to own, i put stock 1989 jcm series valves in the old marshall head before i sold it ... hehehe , although i did do the right thing and tell the buyer the original valves had been replaced with newer 1989 jcm series valves.

Only reason im even really interested in the 5150 head is.. it seems a good price for a decent valve head amp, and i had a go on one of these amps in a shop when they were new years ago , and personally i thought it sounded better than any marshall i had heard or used. I allways wanted 1 back then but the shops sold them all before i could afford 1 and they never got anymore in , i think it was only built for a year or so for the 5150 van halen album / and cos he was guitarist of the year around that time .

I remember back then too that i tested it through both the 5150 and a marshall quady, and the head still sounded pretty much the same through both boxes...if anything / no offence to marshall cos i love marshall amps , but it actually sounded a tad better though its own 5150 quady , it was definately a nice rig .
Anyway , i'm prolly gonna go have a look at it this arvo . cheers.

Old 28-10-2006, 12:01 PM   #58
muppet

Mate $300 sounds like a steel to me even with no valves. I would buy it just for the sake of it if I was you.
I used to use a marshall jcm 800 50 watt 2x12 combo . then I started to put together a rack set up so I just used to plug that into the speakers of the marshall .I found the marshall to have a bit more mid range compared to the 5150 box(but I like the 5150 better). The marshall had g75t speakers in it and and an open back so it is kind of not the same as a closed 4x12 box.
Do you have youre eye on a quad box or are you just going to look around and wait for a good cheap one to come up, I got the 5150 box for $400.
I am keen to know if the 5150 head has enough gain to get a real good distortion without a pedal. As it was kind of one of the first heads that came out saying that it would do everything . I have not found a valve head yet that does it for me without a distortion pedal,but I do like lots and lots of distortion lol. Funnily enough I dont need to use a pedal with my rack setup but the preamp I have has had a fair bit of work done to it and its all valve distortion too.
If you dont like that amp just send it to me I'll give ya $300 for it lol.
Old 28-10-2006, 01:23 PM   #59
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

I'll either build another quady or buy another 1, i'll have a look around and see whats going for how much , i want a sealed quadbox though. I've always loved the sealed quadys ( made from good solid wood too , not chipboard ), the bottom end thump is 2x compared to an open back quady imo, it's what i allways used anyway , in my old setups though occasionally from the 'thump/bottom end' it would blow the cone out in the centre speakers occasionaly !.

There is a good mod i actually stole from my 69 marshall and adapted it to a few other valve heads later. My 69 marshall head had 2 main volumes , but the 1 volume being how hard you drove the valves , the other was just normal volume.... you could basically get great distorion by running full power to the valves via the 1st volume knob ( as if it's being cranked flat out loud as possible / original marshall distorion ), but was able to lower the volume without loosing the distorion or and of the high/mid/low range etc etc. It can be applied easily to any valve head, its basicaly just adding a second volume control after the valves , to lower the fully powered/diistorted valves. I think i'll end up buying it , heading out at 2pm to check it out .

Old 28-10-2006, 08:10 PM   #60
SpooN XL

Ello some nice Vids there mate.

Would be nice to here you play your original with a drum machine or something.

I think you will find the valves out of the marshall are different to those used in the 5150. I am pretty sure the 5150 runs on KT88's. But they are fine amps.

I to can vouch for Ibanez, I own a music shop and deal with Ibanez they are great guitars.

Here is a pic of some of my gear
My Belman Double Cutaway. Best guitar I have ever owned and played. Aussie made as well

My Peavey Wolfgang Purple Flame

Anyway some nice stuff going on there mate.

Check out my little Band Out.

Thanks Keep rockin folks!!
SpooN XL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post