Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 31-01-2010, 12:42 AM   #1
qwiksix

Quote:
Originally Posted by left
Was it a Thursday (traditional Pension day)? A seriously good day to avoid driving if you can IME. Some of the stuff you see the oldies get up to beggars belief. I was verbally abused last week by an old fella. He thought there was one turning lane; in reality there was two. I was in the outside lane & he thought I'd cut him off. He almost slammed in to the left side of my car because he was drifting over in to my lane or 'his lane' as he told me. Wouldn't listen to reason I ended up telling him to get effed I am afraid after he told me I was a stupid young woman
So, I'm sure you had your blinker on, which would have made it obvious to him?

I've been in cars too many times when I get told that the reason they don't have their indicator on at an intersection they are turning at is because :
- it wastes the globe, or
- everyone magically knows where you are going

qs
qwiksix is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2010, 11:06 AM   #2
left
Lady Leadfoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwiksix
So, I'm sure you had your blinker on, which would have made it obvious to him?

I've been in cars too many times when I get told that the reason they don't have their indicator on at an intersection they are turning at is because :
- it wastes the globe, or
- everyone magically knows where you are going

qs
Naturally. I think I am one of the few people in Melbourne who actually uses their indicators for the purpose they were designed!

Quote:
Building sites on a hot day: the females equivalent to a strip club

Last edited by left; 31-01-2010 at 11:11 AM.
left is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2010, 05:41 PM   #3
calais
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

With reference to the original post, I have to say that I feel as though such behaviour by road users is becoming all the more frequent.

I drive around 45,000km a year in my own car, plus another 20,000km give or take in trucks as part of my second job. In driving these distances on mostly intercity roads and highways, seldom do I finish a journey without some kind of abuse or challenge by another road user, be it a truck, car, motorcyclist, cyclist or pedestrian.

I personally believe its the decline in social standards, and the loss of common courtesy on our roads.

I want to know why advertising propaganda is forced down our throats in regards to seat belts, speeding, drugs and fatigue but never about courtesy to other motorists, or driving etiquette. I can see a gaping shortfall here on the behalf of the nations motoring groups and authorities.

I can only imagine how much more enjoyable driving could possibly become knowing your fellow motorist is a well rested, adjusted and socially aware member of society whose main aim isn't to stroke his own ego about his ability to save the environment and drive slowly for a cause he truly knows nothing about, but to share the responsibility of maximising his fellow motorists ability to get where they are going, unimpeded, and without intimidation for having a different set of priorities.

It means pulling over to the side to let a faster motorist through
It means merging quickly and safely
It means driving appropriately and unselfishly (covers a wide range of points, speed limits;etc, this could go forever!)

Not one of those points listed above can actually be achieved without education, and a willingness to accept that you aren't the only bloke with somewhere to be.

Its a two way street (excuse the pun) to sharing the roads as effectively as possible.
calais is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2010, 06:49 PM   #4
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by calais
seldom do I finish a journey without some kind of abuse or challenge by another road user, be it a truck, car, motorcyclist, cyclist or pedestrian.
That statement sort of indicates you might need the tune up?
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2010, 09:59 PM   #5
elvisidal
Tatalia's a pimp!

sorry I was swerving to miss a cardigan I saw on the road.Looked like a triple button!
Old 29-01-2010, 10:01 PM   #6
wicko

I had guy in front of me at traffic lights busy checking out my car in his mirrors. Lights go green so I wait......and wait....and wait, then with his eyes still on my car I pointed up to the lights (using my second finger, not the middle one). He went off like there was no tomorrow (I would too if I drove a Barina). I stayed behind him then peeled off at the next intersection to get away from him.
wicko is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2010, 11:38 PM   #7
SSD-85
I ♥ EDM
Donating Member1

No offense to my elders, but a few dont seem to understand the concept of keeping left unless overtaking. But of course, im the young dumb hoon who gets yelled at for overtaking them when they do 80ish in the left lane in a 100 zone (all in appropriate conditions for doing 100)....

But in regards to the topic specifically, I too have encountered situations similar as that, much to my bewilderment.
SSD-85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2010, 11:41 PM   #8
chrisfpv
Browsing here and there..

If you weren't tailgating him, like seriously sitting up his rear then there really isn't a reason to get all angry imo.
chrisfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2010, 12:52 AM   #9
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i think everyone forgot the real reason behind these problems... you were driving on MY road :

in all seriousness, i am sick of it too. although the roads i drive on are generally freeways, but if someone is coming up behind me faster than what i am going, generally i will change lanes when there is room to and let them past...
bodes-sh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2010, 01:12 AM   #10
XR8GRL
Powered by Tickford

I've dealt with that kind a few times.

I've also been horned at and flashed for overtaking, wasn't anywhere near them. I don't get these idiots.
XR8GRL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2010, 12:37 PM   #11
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Glad I'm not old Lol...
Hoon maybe ???
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2010, 12:57 PM   #12
jamesson1980
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The moment you see a driver flapping his/her arms, as if to be asking for an answer to some riddle you haven't actually been asked, I think you can safely assume that it is one of those many drivers with a fuse shorter than their attention span. They will flip at the smallest of things. I know I'v cheesed a few drivers off over the years, normally receiving a horn, lights, abuse and the odd finger.. on those occasions I immediately realised my mistake and gave a friendly, 'my bad' wave.
But the flapping of arms, I'v observed, seems to come with little or no provokation from a driver who doesn't even know what they're upset about, hence the 'questioning' type gesture. So I never read too much into it, as these motorists are either driving extremely fast or extremely slow, either way, ya don't see 'em for long.

2009 FG XR6, Ego Paint, Darkest possible tint, Sunroof, Black Vic number plates. No performance mods. Born To Be Mild
jamesson1980 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2010, 11:04 PM   #13
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Ahh too many "private police" on the road...
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2010, 10:54 AM   #14
dsyfer

Sorry, but if someone tried to swerve at me with my family in the car, he would find me waiting for him at the next stop, for a nice friendly chat!!!!!
dsyfer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2010, 05:28 PM   #15
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Hah, indicators....thats the lever you hit while turning the steering wheel to change lanes on the freeway?
Silver Ghia is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2010, 07:16 PM   #16
left
Lady Leadfoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Ghia
Hah, indicators....thats the lever you hit while turning the steering wheel to change lanes on the freeway?

Speaking of rubbish drivers. I saw an amazing act of stupidity performed yesterday by a learner driver having a lesson with Grade A driving school. The instructor thought it was clever to direct said learner to come to a complete stop in the middle lane of a 3 lane 80kmh zone (Plenty Road for those in Melb) so they could get over to a slip lane to do a U'ey. Good grief
:

Quote:
Building sites on a hot day: the females equivalent to a strip club
left is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2010, 10:13 PM   #17
Pinch
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by left

Speaking of rubbish drivers. I saw an amazing act of stupidity performed yesterday by a learner driver having a lesson with Grade A driving school. The instructor thought it was clever to direct said learner to come to a complete stop in the middle lane of a 3 lane 80kmh zone (Plenty Road for those in Melb) so they could get over to a slip lane to do a U'ey. Good grief
:
Driving school teachers, meh. They sure do explain a lot though. One was driving a fully marked driving school car the other day (assume it was the teacher as only one guy in the car). He undercut me turning left when I was towing the boat which has clearly marked large Aus standard DO NOT OVERTAKE TURNING VEHICLE signs (13 metre rig LOA). Then undertook me accelerating harshly then and cut into my braking space slamming on the brakes at the next lights only about 100m away. Managed to almost pull up with a fair bit of trailer sway, but only just tapped his bumper. Got out of the car to discuss, but he took off through the red light. All the other people stopped at the lights were just staring thinking 'what the?'

No damage, but locked up the trailer brakes a little (getting a new computer-controlled electric set up this week though).

It certainly explains a lot. Maybe he just had a bad student. Actually, no maybes. Whoever he was teaching was bound to be a bad driver. I pity the fools...

Last edited by Pinch; 31-01-2010 at 10:22 PM.
Pinch is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2010, 10:15 PM   #18
XR8GRL