Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 19-10-2014, 09:20 AM   #31
SSVPom
Formally FairmontPom

Default Re: Ford to boost Falcon production after INCREDIBLE response to the FG X

Quote:
Originally Posted by eb2fairmont View Post
Hmmm... where is demand going to be?

XR8 - yes
XR6T - yes
G6E - yes

All three are limited by the number of 6HP26 boxes available, XR8 by engine build rate. Cannot see how ford could push total build of these beyond 5,000 units let alone 10,000.

As for the rest:

Xt - yeah right who really wants one?
XR6 - no issues
G6 - no issues.
No XT or G6 badges for the FGX, just "Falcon, G6E, XR6, XR6T and XR8"
Old 19-10-2014, 10:48 AM   #32
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Default Re: Ford to boost Falcon production after INCREDIBLE response to the FG X

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
With the one time buys of a lot of parts going ahead, i'm struggling to see how they will actually make more cars than they have scheduled. ACL for example no longer exists and Ford had to buy up all the bearings in bulk, so if they increase production now, it means the factory will be shutting early as they will have no bearings to put in the engines.
Surely there is another bearing supplier out there?? What happens if I want to rebuild my engine??

Didn't even know ACL had gone tits up. Humph.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2014, 12:14 PM   #33
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by Focusfan View Post
Very true but the factory and all the equipment will it still be there after they are gone.?
Why cant one of the big boys like Packer reopen the plant with a limited number of employees and make a limited number of cars per year.
Australia would have its own brand again. Call it a new name but
if they want but maybe to retain Ford appeal call it PACKFORD or
PackGT. Sill idea I suppose but where are the people in Australia that could make this happen. A new all AUSSIE car.
Would the equipment and dies for Falcon and Territory bodies be for sale? Ship them somewhere where labour is cheap and emissions laws dont count for anything and churn out good looking taxis with 5 star safety bodies for the developing markets.
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 19-10-2014, 12:53 PM   #34
hedgehobb

They are going to turbocharge the workers to boost production.
hedgehobb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 19-10-2014, 12:59 PM   #35
Focusfan

Free cans of Red Bull for all the workers, fly through the work with their new wings.
Focusfan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 19-10-2014, 01:18 PM   #36
Blem
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just realised you can write tits
Blem is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2014, 03:32 PM   #37
cheap
Wirlankarra yanama

INCREDIBLE, a 30-40% increase from what base? The article doesn't clarify that at all. For all we know the INCREDIBLE response means production has gone up from 10 to 14 units per day and therefore be 100% factual.
cheap is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2014, 03:42 PM   #38
Chopped
as in chopped

Pretty sure it just means XR8
Old 19-10-2014, 03:48 PM   #39
lucas2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheap View Post
INCREDIBLE, a 30-40% increase from what base? The article doesn't clarify that at all. For all we know the INCREDIBLE response means production has gone up from 10 to 14 units per day and therefore be 100% factual.
That's what I'd assume would be the case. Going from 10-14 units per day is a big increase.
lucas2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2014, 04:07 PM   #40
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopped View Post
Pretty sure it just means XR8
Pretty sure you're right !
Fordman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2014, 07:38 PM   #41
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Bringing sanity to the Everest threads. 

I do hope that all this 'interest' turns into sales. I really do. But I doubt it very much. It's too easy to say right now that you'd buy one, but when it comes to signing the contract most people probably won't follow through. Sad I know, but the FGX isn't that much different to the FG. If people were really keen they'd be buying FGs right now.
simon varley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2014, 08:12 PM   #42
Bluehoon
Hoon On The Rise

Interesting topic...

From a supply and logistics point of view (and reality), it would pose enormous challenges as parts or pre-ordered to fill quotas.

How many more, can or will they make? And for what profit? G6ET for 46k....

It has to end, where do you draw the line?

Personally, I'd prefer to see the numbers stay limited. It creates interest, passion and helps hold value for years to come.

Enough talk about sales, buy the dam thing.

There won't be any special this or hot that. If the XR8 with a GT motor, brakes and suspension with all those goodies for 52k isn't enough then you will never ever be truly satisfied.
If all these posts relentless posts living in hope reflect your love life, i'd hate to be your mrs...

FGX-XR8 Manual, BFII E-Gas, '11 GSXR 1000 - Love 'em!
FPV Tickford Club of NSW - www.fpvclub.com
Bluehoon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2014, 09:22 PM   #43
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluehoon View Post
Interesting topic...

If all these posts relentless posts living in hope reflect your love life, i'd hate to be your mrs...
BUUURRRRNNNNNN!

But totally 100% correct

2019 LDV G10
2009 Mitsubishi Express-GONE
2011 Honda Jazz
Old 19-10-2014, 10:21 PM   #44
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior
Surely there is another bearing supplier out there?? What happens if I want to rebuild my engine??

Didn't even know ACL had gone tits up. Humph.
Yeah but it all costs money, and PD have to test the new parts to ensure they are durable. No new parts from different suppliers go into production until they are properly tested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Focusfan
Free cans of Red Bull for all the workers, fly through the work with their new wings.
Problem is we would run out of fuel at the end of the day just like Whincup
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2014, 12:57 AM   #45
Revolver
Big Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2tf View Post
How would that make any difference as to their ability to make more cars.
Has nothing to to do with the ability to produce, but rather the styling of the X that has created such a positive response. Could you imagine the X tickled and fettled by "FPV" in the looks department?

The problem is that the GTF just looks like any other FG GT out there. However I it had been the X, there is no mistaking it for "Just" a GT.
/////Alpine Sound.
EBGT Momo Woodgrain Steering Wheel
The Scarlet Fairlane Build Thread

Project "White Knight"
93 ED XR6
ROH Alloys
Momo wheel
Cruise
Sunroof
Premo Sound
Manual
HO Goodies
PWK Build Thread

1990 Yamaha FZR 250: 59000ks & climbing. New fairing, old tank, my angry mosquito in a coffee tin! 14.977 1/4mile.
Revolver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2014, 01:17 AM   #46
bionic2006xr6t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hi guys,

I have been contemplating selling my FG F6 to purchase the last of the XR8's. As I want one of the last V8 Falcons. I have had a very brief read through the comments so I apologise in advance if I miss something! Now I have read bits and pieces mostly trickling through facebook on "the fans of new Falcons" page. Now reading about the supposed quantities of XR8's I started to get a little worried so though I would hit up my dealer who I previously purchased my BF turbo and F6 though as I have a great relationship with my salesman! Now speaking to him I was supprised that he was dumb founded about the possibility of them only building 1400 or so XR8's and the hype that I heard they where near all sold already (according to facebook anyway) I was the first to make a genuine enquiry and obviously they hadn't pre sold any as yet! The dealer at that stage though they would build as many as they could sell so he got on the phone to fords national sales manager who confirmed that they only had in the vicinity of 1400 XR8 engines so yes the supply would be some what limited and that they would be allocated to dealers. Every dealer would get one to start with and probably 1 or 2 a quarter depending on the dealers size. The first car my dealer is getting is an auto as that's what was allocated by ford (can't be changed??????) and the dealership to choose the colour. (Auto is not my thing)They only expect to see it in late January and can then choose tran options on the next allocation so I just have to wait! They seen no rush for a deposit etc.

Just my 2 cents guys from my own personal experience! Now I just have a FG F6 to sell!

Cheers Ryan
bionic2006xr6t is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2014, 01:27 AM   #47
Shonky.
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by bionic2006xr6t View Post
Hi guys,

I have been contemplating selling my FG F6 to purchase the last of the XR8's. As I want one of the last V8 Falcons. I have had a very brief read through the comments so I apologise in advance if I miss something! Now I have read bits and pieces mostly trickling through facebook on "the fans of new Falcons" page. Now reading about the supposed quantities of XR8's I started to get a little worried so though I would hit up my dealer who I previously purchased my BF turbo and F6 though as I have a great relationship with my salesman! Now speaking to him I was supprised that he was dumb founded about the possibility of them only building 1400 or so XR8's and the hype that I heard they where near all sold already (according to facebook anyway) I was the first to make a genuine enquiry and obviously they hadn't pre sold any as yet! The dealer at that stage though they would build as many as they could sell so he got on the phone to fords national sales manager who confirmed that they only had in the vicinity of 1400 XR8 engines so yes the supply would be some what limited and that they would be allocated to dealers. Every dealer would get one to start with and probably 1 or 2 a quarter depending on the dealers size. The first car my dealer is getting is an auto as that's what was allocated by ford (can't be changed??????) and the dealership to choose the colour. (Auto is not my thing)They only expect to see it in late January and can then choose tran options on the next allocation so I just have to wait! They seen no rush for a deposit etc.

Just my 2 cents guys from my own personal experience! Now I just have a FG F6 to sell!

Cheers Ryan
If owning one is close to your heart you should probably engage a better connected salesman

(I know you said you like dealing with him, but sounds like a gamble)
Shonky. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2014, 01:44 AM   #48
bionic2006xr6t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You may be right, I spoke to the dealers owner as well that day both had no real urgency to relieve my of any cash at this stage and told me to wait to have a look at the first one when it arrives and that I also didn't want a 2014 plated vehicle. From speaking to the general sales manager it sounds like ford will depict what numbers dealer gets and it seams to me the production schedule has been set with just colour and trans (xr8) to be penciled in. What happens when a dealer takes 10 pre orders xr8's but ford has only allocated then a total of 4 xr8's? At this stage the dealers don't no numbers they are getting. Yes maybe I should insist they take a deposit but that won't necessary mean I will get a car? What if that first auto car is the only XR8 my dealer has been allocated they just don't know it yet?

Cheers Ryan

Last edited by bionic2006xr6t; 20-10-2014 at 01:54 AM.
bionic2006xr6t is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2014, 02:07 AM   #49
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Dealers can swap cars amongst themselves, they dont like doing it but they can.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 20-10-2014, 06:28 AM   #50
SensationFG8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revolver View Post
The problem is that the GTF just looks like any other FG GT out there. However I it had been the X, there is no mistaking it for "Just" a GT.
Not really, put a 335 next to an f, it's pretty easy to tell them apart, no one mistook an f for anything else at fanatics.

The fact the gtf looks like a gt is a good thing, not much point if it doesn't ;)

I don't think for could have built both v8's while winding back. They have to start closing somehow. Imo it's worked out well.
Sensation FG XR8 290kW NA V8, 6spd Automatic

Current Rides
Octane GTF SC V8, 6spd Manual, Manta 3" X pipes and hotdogs
Starlight Lotus Evora S 258kW SC V6, 6spd Manual
SensationFG8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 21-10-2014, 12:31 AM   #51
tlub

ford know what parts etc are available and how many they can build and this will not change even if public demand is high. the mustang is a confirmed starter and as such they will not delay the introduction of it . if you think more falcons are coming you are living in lala land
tlub is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2014, 01:08 AM   #52
cortinagt

How are these supply issues going to affect Ford's obligation to support with parts for 10 years post closure?

Might not want to be looking for OEM bearings in 10 years.
Old 21-10-2014, 09:50 AM   #53
Shonky.
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

^ good point

I wonder if this unexpected demand for the last SC5.0s is going to eat into out spare parts reserves in the interest of profit
Shonky. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2014, 10:58 AM   #54
DanielXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Don't forget the source of this wonderful news if Ford marketing. Their job is to talk up interest and if they successfully sell all XR8's at full retail before the end of next year, that's a good thing for Ford and the dealers. Leaves the way well clear for the Mustang to take over, without V8 Falcons hanging around to spoil the party.

At this point the only way I could even imagine more XR8's could be built, is if Ford raid their stocks of parts that were marked to be kept as spare parts. So maybe that will get a handful more cars. Of course you want to hope you have no problems with the engine or transmission of your XR8 in that eventually, because there will be bugger all replacements available, particularly if you own an auto.
DanielXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2014, 11:19 AM   #55
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielXR8 View Post
Of course you want to hope you have no problems with the engine or transmission of your XR8 in that eventually, because there will be bugger all replacements available, particularly if you own an auto.
Spares will be accounted for even in the case of limited supply. In the case of the Auto ZF isn't going belly up they are stopping production of the auto.
Old 21-10-2014, 11:34 AM   #56
HO 3
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielXR8 View Post
Don't forget the source of this wonderful news if Ford marketing. Their job is to talk up interest and if they successfully sell all XR8's at full retail before the end of next year, that's a good thing for Ford and the dealers. Leaves the way well clear for the Mustang to take over, without V8 Falcons hanging around to spoil the party.

At this point the only way I could even imagine more XR8's could be built, is if Ford raid their stocks of parts that were marked to be kept as spare parts. So maybe that will get a handful more cars. Of course you want to hope you have no problems with the engine or transmission of your XR8 in that eventually, because there will be bugger all replacements available, particularly if you own an auto.
History will repeat itself of course..............in a couple of years as they become cheaper we will see specialist GT wreckers buying up B series GTs, FG GTs and XR8s and parting them out so owners of better quality examples can keep their cars on the road, plenty of parts for everyone!

Cheers Mick
HO 3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 21-10-2014, 12:21 PM   #57
tlub

by law a manufacturer must make available parts for ten years , and as for bearings if one was to need replacing do you not think that a substitute would not be used , at the end of the day you will not strip your motor to brand check after a rebuilt and many would have moved the vehicle on after a few years.
tlub is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2014, 03:40 PM   #58
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Many of the parts are the same as Coyote or Boss302, there are some specific parts like pistons etc but they can easily be substituted for something else. Its mostly the bolt on stuff outside the motor that's bespoke, the whole intake setup, ancillaries, sump etc.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2014, 09:51 PM   #59
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revolver View Post
Has nothing to to do with the ability to produce, but rather the styling of the X that has created such a positive response. Could you imagine the X tickled and fettled by "FPV" in the looks department?

You really think the styling is a factor?

I wish the new model styling in the photos excited me, but it doesn't at all. That said, there is no way I am going to stand here and diss it and criticise it before seeing it in the flesh, where it may indeed (I hope) wow. But not one photo I have seen yet at all piques my interest. And believe me, the idea of a last run XR8 manual with the kit it has actually really does pique my interest, but all the photos etc. exterior and interior effectively quash my interest. But like I say, I really, honestly, do hope the first time I see the new model it proves all the photos just crap and is in fact impressive.

Last edited by mcnews; 21-10-2014 at 10:00 PM.
mcnews is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2014, 10:02 PM   #60
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlub View Post
by law a manufacturer must make available parts for ten years , and as for bearings if one was to need replacing do you not think that a substitute would not be used , at the end of the day you will not strip your motor to brand check after a rebuilt and many would have moved the vehicle on after a few years.
Endless specialist to order limited run bearing manufacturers in the world. In fact, in most cases somewhere in the world the exact same fit for purpose same size bearing is already in use somewhere in the auto world already.