Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 18-10-2014, 01:07 PM   #1
Sorted
OzEcruisers PRESIDENT

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: For all the contributions you make to the AFF community. 
Default Ford to boost Falcon production after INCREDIBLE response to the FG X

See here http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mell...257D7400234DC0

Tuned by DYNOMOTIVE

200BUX - AFF Drag Nats 2019 EF Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by rednose View Post
Common knowledge that the more weight you take out of the car the less power you need to run the time.
Sorted is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 18-10-2014, 01:12 PM   #2
SensationFG8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Ford to boost Falcon production after INCREDIBLE response to the FG X

Hopefully they are able to pull it off without making things worse when they close it all down. It'd be fantastic if they are able to boost production some more. Speaking to lots of the workers yesterday I really feel we as a nation have let down a huge group of people.
Sensation FG XR8 290kW NA V8, 6spd Automatic

Current Rides
Octane GTF SC V8, 6spd Manual, Manta 3" X pipes and hotdogs
Starlight Lotus Evora S 258kW SC V6, 6spd Manual
SensationFG8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 18-10-2014, 01:12 PM   #3
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Default Re: Ford to boost Falcon production after INCREDIBLE response to the FG X

From the link...
Quote:
Ford looks to almost double Falcon production after “incredible” response to FG X

17 October 2014

By DANIEL GARDNER

IN A twist of irony, Ford is scrambling to boost production of its swansong Falcon, after an “incredible” public response to the final Australian-made sedan sparked an unprecedented surge in demand.

Downsizing has already started in the run up to the end of Australian Ford production in 2016, but following the unexpected reception, Ford is now faced with the prospect of increasing Falcon manufacture by approximately 30 to 40 per cent to meet demand.

The facelifted Falcon broke cover just three months ago but has already cemented its place in the hearts of loyal followers with almost exclusively positive feedback directed at dealers, says Ford.

Speaking at the shoot of a promotional film, Ford Australia marketing manager David Katic told GoAuto that Falcon production may have to as much as double to satisfy the market.

“We haven't even launched the product yet and we've been literally bowled over with the amount of interest,” he said.

“The dealers are telling us they need more XR8s than what we have allocated them, which is a great problem to have and we are trying to work out how we can build more of them.

“Our challenge on Falcon, particularly XR8, is how do we expand production because the feedback has been absolutely incredible.

“Probably a 30 to 40 per cent [increase] will meet the demand in the market and I'm probably being conservative.”

As part of an ongoing and aggressive publicity campaign, Ford invited 400 'Falcon fanatics' to take part in a filmed event where XR8 Falcons negotiated a track marked out by the fans.

It took place at Melbourne's Avalon Airport where 80 of the enthusiast's cars filled a hangar, with the new XR8 taking centre stage.

“One of the great things as a marketer is having customers who are really passionate about your brand. We asked for 300 to 400 fanatics to come here and we had 800 in 48 hours,” said Mr Katic.

“Since the day we released the photos, the public feedback we've got on the car has been absolutely incredible”.

Despite the unprecedented interest in the final Falcon, Mr Katic said that a u-turn on production shutdown or a temporary extension was not a possibility.

“The reality is, all of the factors that drove us to the decision we made, they're still relevant, but our job and what we are focusing on is making sure we let Falcon go with style, and thankfully it looks like we have the opportunity to do that.”

There may be more treats before Ford finally pulls up stumps however. Mr Katic said if more capacity can be found to produce the required numbers of Falcon, special editions could follow the initial seven sedan and five Ute range.

“Our fans are screaming for them and so we might look at those, but we have to make sure we can build the right amount. It's no use doing a special edition if you can't build enough standard cars,” he said.

Last week Holden announced a special Bathurst/Craig Lowndes celebratory version of its Falcon-rivaling Commodore, and Ford won’t want to miss an opportunity to cash-in on its racing heritage in a similar way.

In June, Ford let 72 staff go from its Geelong engine plant with another 127 sacked from the Broadmeadows factory after a call for voluntary redundancies was largely ignored.

The cull followed an announcement in February that 300 jobs would go from the Blue Oval workforce, and the most recent cuts coincided with vehicle production being slashed from 133 to 83 per day.

With an increase to output now required to meet new Falcon demand, Ford may be considering adding to its recently depleted manufacturing staff, or a redeployment of resources from other areas to the large sedan line.

The new simplified Falcon sedan range starts with the entry-level and simply named Falcon priced at $35,900 before on-road costs, and tops out with flagship 5.0-litre supercharged XR8 with a price tag of $52,490.

Tradie-friendly Utes kick off from $29,390 for the cab chassis with the range capping off with the $39,910 XR6 Turbo. An XR8 version of the Ute has not been announced.
naddis01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2014, 01:28 PM   #4
P6LTD351
Blue Blood

They will make as many as they can sell. Was always going to be the case. Has always been the case.
1986 XF Fairmont Ghia 4.1L EFI Regency Red, trip computer, venetians - 163Ks
1979 P6 LTD 351, Goldust - 185Ks
1989 Mazda MX5, Red 1.6L, 5sp manual - 102Ks
P6LTD351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2014, 01:35 PM   #5
Focusfan

Will put a lot more profit in Fords pockets with the extra sales then they will still cry poor and close down. Typical. Funny how the Australian
government helped Cadbury out of a hole and they are not Aussie owned
but have turned down many True Aussie businesses. Maybe they want
to see Australia go bust and be completely owned by over seas corporations. Maybe it will mean more taxes for them to increase
their pay packets while reducing pensioners to street people.
Focusfan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 18-10-2014, 01:44 PM   #6
SensationFG8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by P6LTD351 View Post
They will make as many as they can sell. Was always going to be the case. Has always been the case.
While I'd like to agree with you life is not that simple mate. Note how the article says scrambling, that's probably an understatement. You cant just easily ramp up and down production when you're in close down phase.

It will be a monumental effort for the guys involved to get this happening and I hope they can achieve it.

Current Rides
3 users like this post:
Old 18-10-2014, 03:08 PM   #7
P6LTD351
Blue Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensationFG8 View Post
While I'd like to agree with you life is not that simple mate. Note how the article says scrambling, that's probably an understatement. You cant just easily ramp up and down production when you're in close down phase.

It will be a monumental effort for the guys involved to get this happening and I hope they can achieve it.
I understand what you mean. But they are not limiting production to other models in the range e.g. XR6, G6E etc. This thing that they will run out of engines and transmissions (IMO) is ludicrous. Almost like the myth that Ford sales of its imports were low because of "supply issue". Total BS. If there were customers, there would be the supply.
1986 XF Fairmont Ghia 4.1L EFI Regency Red, trip computer, venetians - 163Ks
1979 P6 LTD 351, Goldust - 185Ks
1989 Mazda MX5, Red 1.6L, 5sp manual - 102Ks
P6LTD351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 18-10-2014, 03:19 PM   #8
stevefreestyle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I understand what you mean. But they are not limiting production to other models in the range e.g. XR6, G6E etc. This thing that they will run out of engines and transmissions (IMO) is ludicrous. Almost like the myth that Ford sales of its imports were low because of "supply issue". Total BS. If there were customers, there would be the supply.
So you would have had no problem buying a NEW XR8 between 2011 and now then?
stevefreestyle is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2014, 03:52 PM   #9
baboon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: went to the trouble of posting up some great Vids of the AFF drag meet 

Win on Sunday, Sell on Monday!
baboon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2014, 03:54 PM   #10
Lukeyson
Right out sideways

I have said this before, but Ford have made too nice a car (for the money) with minimal incentive to 'upgrade' from say a BA to BF, or ELII to AU back in the day etc. IMO the BA made me want to upgrade from my AU ute at the time, I just couldn't afford it till the BF was out.
For me the FGX is kind of like when the BA came out, coming from the AU there was a lot of excitement over the engines/equipment you get for the money (sub 60k). This is the first Falcon since BA that makes me want to update my AU.
Its a nice position for Ford to be in, have demand for the last Falcon. I just hope they capitalise on it, and make and move some cars !!!!!!

Last edited by Lukeyson; 18-10-2014 at 04:07 PM.
Lukeyson is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 18-10-2014, 08:05 PM   #11
Focused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Focusfan View Post
Will put a lot more profit in Fords pockets with the extra sales then they will still cry poor and close down. Typical. Funny how the Australian
government helped Cadbury out of a hole and they are not Aussie owned
but have turned down many True Aussie businesses. Maybe they want
to see Australia go bust and be completely owned by over seas corporations. Maybe it will mean more taxes for them to increase
their pay packets while reducing pensioners to street people.
Well this is awkward. Who wants to break the news that Ford isn't Australian?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Motor_Company
Focused is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2014, 09:01 PM   #12
Focusfan

Yes was poorly worded, I know they are not Aussie owned. There is NO Aussie owned car manufacturer at all. Mind you Holden owners
still think they are. What I meant was there has been a lot of people put out of work by Aussie companies shutting down or moving to China
and the governments have done nothing to help. Why did they help Cadbury out of their hole is a mystery to me and probably others.
Maybe something behind closed doors on this. Allegedly that is.
I used to work for Nissan and the model sharing caused a lot of problems over the years. Had a lot of Holden astra, early one that were
rebadged N12 Pulsars come in and crack because Holden said they were a Nissan and they had to come to us for parts. They were 100%
sure their car was an Australian made Holden.
Same was for N13 Pulsars that were Holden engine. Nissan owners were upset to learn this as well. Anyway getting off tread. A lot of
Aussie workers will be out of work soon and government not helping.
Old 18-10-2014, 09:21 PM   #13
Focused

Quote:
Yes was poorly worded, I know they are not Aussie owned. There is NO Aussie owned car manufacturer at all. Mind you Holden owners
still think they are. What I meant was there has been a lot of people put out of work by Aussie companies shutting down or moving to China
and the governments have done nothing to help. Why did they help Cadbury out of their hole is a mystery to me and probably others.
Maybe something behind closed doors on this. Allegedly that is.
I used to work for Nissan and the model sharing caused a lot of problems over the years. Had a lot of Holden astra, early one that were
rebadged N12 Pulsars come in and crack because Holden said they were a Nissan and they had to come to us for parts. They were 100%
sure their car was an Australian made Holden.
Same was for N13 Pulsars that were Holden engine. Nissan owners were upset to learn this as well. Anyway getting off tread. A lot of
Aussie workers will be out of work soon and government not helping.
There's some merit in what you say but the government can't keep pouring billions into the local automotive industry. People often make the comparison with Germany and how their government financially supports their local car manufactuerers but there's an important difference. Those German brands are German and are a part of their national identity as well as where all of their profits go.
Where do Ford and Holden's profits go? The United States.
Focused is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 18-10-2014, 09:27 PM   #14
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Actually no it's not BS at all.

The ZF box is already NLA from ZF, the 5.0L engine won't be around forever (not in the spec we get it in anyway) and with Ford looking to just scrape through and deliberately not get stuck with a wad full of parts when the doors close, limited supply is a very real thing. That and the idea behind making this car sell would be to have people think if they don't act quickly they may miss out.

At the launch yesterday a couple of the engineers touted around a figure of 1200 Nothing was officially said, but the number came up more than once.
Old 18-10-2014, 10:26 PM   #15
Bossxr8
Peter Car

With the one time buys of a lot of parts going ahead, i'm struggling to see how they will actually make more cars than they have scheduled. ACL for example no longer exists and Ford had to buy up all the bearings in bulk, so if they increase production now, it means the factory will be shutting early as they will have no bearings to put in the engines.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 18-10-2014, 10:32 PM   #16
Revolver
Big Member
Donating Member1

This is why the GTF should have been the FG X not FG II
/////Alpine Sound.
EBGT Momo Woodgrain Steering Wheel
The Scarlet Fairlane Build Thread

Project "White Knight"
93 ED XR6
ROH Alloys
Momo wheel
Cruise
Sunroof
Premo Sound
Manual
HO Goodies
PWK Build Thread

1990 Yamaha FZR 250: 59000ks & climbing. New fairing, old tank, my angry mosquito in a coffee tin! 14.977 1/4mile.
Revolver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 18-10-2014, 10:37 PM   #17
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revolver View Post
This is why the GTF should have been the FG X not FG II
How would that make any difference as to their ability to make more cars.
Old 18-10-2014, 10:41 PM   #18
Eaturbo
BUILT FORD TUFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
With the one time buys of a lot of parts going ahead, i'm struggling to see how they will actually make more cars than they have scheduled. ACL for example no longer exists and Ford had to buy up all the bearings in bulk, so if they increase production now, it means the factory will be shutting early as they will have no bearings to put in the engines.
I am sure that with Fords extensive network of suppliers as well as there own capabilities that should bearing become an issue that they would be able to source more. There's plenty of bearings available now in the after market business so getting an OEM supplier to supply bearings would be very easy.
Old 18-10-2014, 10:54 PM   #19
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

Seems to me that the only real supply issue would be gearboxes. nuts, bolts, bushes and bearings can be got from various suppliers but the ZF is going to be a problem, especially the V8/T6 version. What are they fitting in the mustang in the US? Maybe they can get hold of some of those.

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2014, 10:56 PM   #20
SensationFG8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Everything is easy on paper, when you start talking about commercial arrangements for supply of parts to a large company it becomes somewhat more complex...

Current Rides
Old 18-10-2014, 11:07 PM   #21
Focusfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Focused View Post
There's some merit in what you say but the government can't keep pouring billions into the local automotive industry. People often make the comparison with Germany and how their government financially supports their local car manufactuerers but there's an important difference. Those German brands are German and are a part of their national identity as well as where all of their profits go.
Where do Ford and Holden's profits go? The United States.
Very true but the factory and all the equipment will it still be there after they are gone.?
Why cant one of the big boys like Packer reopen the plant with a limited number of employees and make a limited number of cars per year.
Australia would have its own brand again. Call it a new name but
if they want but maybe to retain Ford appeal call it PACKFORD or
PackGT. Sill idea I suppose but where are the people in Australia that could make this happen. A new all AUSSIE car.
Old 18-10-2014, 11:17 PM   #22
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Yeah but make what? More of the same? Cars that mainstream buyers no longer buy?

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 18-10-2014, 11:49 PM   #23
eb2fairmont
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hmmm... where is demand going to be?

XR8 - yes
XR6T - yes
G6E - yes

All three are limited by the number of 6HP26 boxes available, XR8 by engine build rate. Cannot see how ford could push total build of these beyond 5,000 units let alone 10,000.

As for the rest:

Xt - yeah right who really wants one?
XR6 - no issues
G6 - no issues.
eb2fairmont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2014, 12:18 AM   #24
neptune blue
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Very true but the factory and all the equipment will it still be there after they are gone.?
Why cant one of the big boys like Packer reopen the plant with a limited number of employees and make a limited number of cars per year.
PackGT. Sill idea I suppose but where are the people in Australia that could make this happen. A new all AUSSIE car.
Haven't you heard , there is no money in making cars in Australia that's why all of them are shutting shop
neptune blue is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 19-10-2014, 12:31 AM   #25
commodorenutt
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

^^^ to add to that suggestion, perhaps with a bit of Aussie ingenuity, we could have a locally made equivalent of something technologically advanced like the Tesla?

The reason I suggest that, is because it's a good example of a relatively new car company that isn't a sub-brand owned by someone else, like most of the car companies these days.

They seem to be doing OK offering $100k cars into a niche market.

Whilst it may only be a niche market, the traditional falcon market has certainly become a niche market compared to that of small cars, SUVs & commercials.
commodorenutt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2014, 12:35 AM   #26
neptune blue
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It's good to see there is plenty of interest in the last Australian built falcon. Thats probably because it is the last Australian built falcon. Note that Ford are ramping down and will be putting their marketing efforts into the Models they are going to import not so much the last falcon in 12 months or so

So even if there is a higher demand than supply for the car, I can't see ford ramping up production significantly for the last hoorah. I can see the cars being sold for full retail and maybe a bit more if there isn't enough XR8's to go around

Personally this reminds me a little of when the Monaro was re released. They were originally in short supply, dealers were taking pre orders , no discounting , no fleet price, but this changed as the initial run of orders were filled. Get used to the Mondeo fellas ....Blah
neptune blue is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2014, 01:17 AM   #27
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Not going to happen mate, the first and one main requirement in business is to make a buck, Mr Packer would not go near it.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2014, 01:45 AM   #28
fgpsi
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Looking forward to the limited run of falcon GT's at the very end.
fgpsi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 19-10-2014, 08:32 AM   #29
SensationFG8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

GT is gone, lots of employees responsible for getting gtf off the ground confirmed it on Friday at fanatics.

Current Rides
Old 19-10-2014, 08:49 AM   #30
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by fgpsi View Post
Looking forward to the limited run of falcon GT's at the very end.
There is no such plan and it won't happen.

You were going to leave weren't you ?
Fordman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post