Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-06-2009, 02:44 PM   #1
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Chasers ABC are a pack of well you make up your mind

taken from www.ninemsn.com.au
Quote:
The ABC has moved to censor The Chaser following public outrage over a sketch in which they mocked dying children.

What did you think of the stunt? View comments

The public broadcaster was in crisis talks this morning after being flooded with complaints over the sketch called "Make a Realistic Wish Foundation", which aired last night on The Chaser's War On Everything.

"The ABC and The Chaser did not intend to hurt those who have been affected by the terminal illness of a child," ABC TV boss Kim Dalton and the show's executive producer Julian Morrow said in a statement released today.

"We acknowledge the distress this segment has caused and we apologise to anyone we have upset.

"As a result, ABC TV will edit the segment out of tonight's repeat screening on ABC2 and on-line."

In the sketch, Chaser members Andrew Hansen and Chris Taylor ask actors playing terminally ill children to make a wish.

One girl tells Hansen she wants to meet Hollywood teen heartthrob Zac Efron, but instead she is handed a stick.

Taylor at one point says the fictional foundation's aim is to help "thousands of kids to lower their extravagance and selfishness in the face of death". (Watch more: Chaser back at it today)

Make-A-Wish Foundation chief executive Sandy Brattstrom said her organisation tried not to focus on the negative aspects of the skit.

"Obviously we're very disappointed but I've got to say we're encouraged by the response from the public — I think that said it all," she told Nine News.

"There's been a lot of anger and frustration … what's sad is the effect it might have had on families involved."

When asked about the outraged public response, Ms Brattstrom said: "I think I'll leave that up to the politicians and the radio networks."

A spokeswoman for Make-A-Wish said Taylor had called Ms Brattstrom to apologise for the sketch.

"I have had a call from The Chaser this morning explaining to me that they weren't specifically poking fun at us," the foundation's communications manager Janita Friend told Melbourne radio station 3AW.

Readers flooded ninemsn with comments about the skit, mostly expressing condemnation.

"That is absolutely disgusting … How dare they say things like that," wrote one reader.

Another wrote: "No scruples ... no hearts ... no compassion … I say they should have NO JOBS."

The sketch has also generated buzz on micro-blogging site Twitter and drawn criticism from politicians and social commentators.

"The Chaser boys have gone over the mark," federal Liberal frontbencher Christopher Pyne told TODAY.

"If I had a child with cancer or leukaemia or a life-threatening disease it would be the most devastating thing that could ever happen."

According to ratings company OzTam, The Chaser averaged about 1.2 million viewers last night — more than 300,000 less than last week’s series debut.

Calls made by ninemsn to show's executive producer Julian Morrow were not immediately returned.

The Chaser has been pushing the boundaries of good taste since its debut in early 2006, including the infamous 2007 APEC Osama bin Laden prank and the tasteless "Eulogy Song", which poked fun at deceased celebrities such as Peter Brock, Princess Diana and Steve Irwin.
I find the coments in the skit very disturbing

i have one of my nephews that due to illness that the doctors cant do anything about get wishes granted through both starlight and make a wish foundations

i personally think these jokers should be pulled from the air and made to grant the wishes of the kids they have traumertised

just venting

Jason

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]