Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 31-01-2008, 11:35 PM   #1
ardei
WP Fiesta LX

Default Next Car after the Fiesta?

This is a thread for Fiesta owners to dream in. What do you think you'll move up (or down ) to after the Fiesta has served its duty?

I notice a lot move to other European hot hatches (*cough* Clio 182 *cough* Polo GTi *cough*) or similar. I've thought it through and went through a whole range of cars from the aforementioned RSC to Holden Ute to XR6T to Supra TT to Audi A4 2.0T to VE SS to Liberty GT but in the end there's a car that I know will be my next (we're talking years here) undeniably. And guess what, it's a European warm hatch.

Mini Cooper S

With that paint scheme/colour combination. Personally I prefer the turbocharged engine, but I don't like the facelift so I'll happily settle for the older, supercharged version.
It just surprises me that even after going through a whole array of alternatives, I still go for the European hatchback! Is it the same with other Fiesta owners? Dream hard and post up what your next car might be!

Old 31-01-2008, 11:51 PM   #2
Jess85

apparently theres a new model XR4 coming out towards the end of the yr ??
Jess85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2008, 12:39 AM   #3
zetec jim
04 fiesta zetec

oh how I love to dream, and if i had the money and the patience, i would get this: Lancia Delta... but i don't have either of those...

I used to love my old 97' Peugeot 306 xt turbo diesel :(
but realistically i've gone through many options too, including the polo gti, clio 182, and i could even wait a bit and buy my old mans 07' Golf gti (which i prob will end up doing cos its absolutely awesome).... but.... i have to copy you... i too have fallen for the Mini Cooper S. never used too, but i really like them now.

just like this john cooper works ed:
bit more added pep too.

in regards to all fez owners wanting another euro hatch, i dunno... but i think its everyone that appreciates a well built, zippy, well-handling, safe, affordable, classy, non-****y, economic and FUN car to drive. hatches are all you'd ever want in a car imo, and i don't think i'll ever go off them. but thats just my 2c...
zetec jim is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2008, 12:54 AM   #4
fordel
Tricolore Tard
Contributing Member

Do you know how sweet those Lancia Deltas are in the flesh !

Oh Boy !
Old 01-02-2008, 02:55 AM   #5
Steffo
LPG > You

I went from a Ford Fiesta Zetec to a Renaultsport Clio 172.
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2008, 06:34 AM   #6
MISTA FIESTA
Da Shifty One

I upgraded to a Fiesta XR4, not a big leap in some eye but to me it was. I have no regrets with it concidering there are other Euro Hot hatch options out there. The Mini has kind of grown on me over the last year or so. I think it looks hot but i wouldnt buy one.

Lancia Delta all the way. White with White Oz Racing Rims.
Old 01-02-2008, 08:14 AM   #7
kiwijohn42
Death B4 Decaf

I do like the look of the new Fiat 500 Abarth
Old 01-02-2008, 10:36 AM   #8
zetec jim
04 fiesta zetec

the punto abarth is pretty cool.

iz niice... although i wonder about the quality of a Fix It Again Tony...
Old 01-02-2008, 12:02 PM   #9
zetec jim
04 fiesta zetec

forgot to mention the 206 gti 180. which i would definitely buy. though i've always been disappointed with pugs electrics.

Old 01-02-2008, 04:26 PM   #10
Ives
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Any Mini = too expensive. You can get so much more for the same amount of money.

For me I'm tossing up between Mk.2.5 Focus XR5T or BF Falcon XR6T (with the ZF 6-Speed automatic).

I'm leaning more towards the Focus XR5T at the moment.

Ives is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2008, 05:02 PM   #11
zetec jim
04 fiesta zetec

nice, that XR5 definitely looks the business...
Old 01-02-2008, 11:21 PM   #12
Kariharnett
Lil Henry

Hopfully in 5 years time they will have a new fiesta XR4. or my other car i would love to own is an audi
Kariharnett is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2008, 10:13 AM   #13
mitch_lx
Candy White GTI

I moved from the Fiesta to Polo GTI, loving it !!!!!!!
Candy White, Anthracite heated Sports leather seats w/ Red stitching.Tinted Windows, Eibach Pro-Kit springs,Whiteline Front/Rear adjustable sway bars,Cupra R intake, Forge Turbo Inlet pipe,BMC panel filter, APR stage one flash,
Dunlop SP sport MAXX, Forge Polished upper front strut brace. 3'' downpipe and highflow cat

Loads of fun :
mitch_lx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2008, 02:09 AM   #14
Als_Zetec
Rated G

Mini - what a great choice! Too bad if you want to carry anything more than your laptop bag though!

The Abarth Fiats are also brilliant, though the 500 seems just too small for my liking (and a lot like a Micra).

Drove a Pug 206 Gti (not 180) as a company car for a bit. Sensational engine that just loves to rev, and the car loves to be thrown around. Hated the flywheel keeping the revs artifically high long after I'd backed off the throttle. Agree with Zetec Jim; electrics suck. New 207 Gti looks hot!

How about an Alfa 147 GTA or even a 156 GTA? Golf R32 MkIV or MkV? Skoda Octavia RS (don't knock it 'til you try it!)?

And the part where most can say 'tell him hes dreamin' - Audi RS4 or R8. My personal favourite is a Maserati Quattroporte.

Reality may say that my next car may be one of:
Alfa 156
A4 Quattro turbo
Accord Euro
Jetta / Passat

Let's see what happens in the next few months...

Ali.
Als_Zetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2008, 05:03 PM   #15
xurbanx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'll be keeping the Fiesta for a while but I'm tossing up between the XR5 or a second-hand 350Z, if possible, I'd love to keep the Fiesta!
Old 07-02-2008, 06:04 PM   #16
Fast Eddie
Motorsport Guru

Apologies in advance if this is in another Thread, but have I heard correctly that the next generation Fiesta will not be designed in Europe but in Japan (by Mazda)?

Exterior Enhancements: ST170 Wheels, Richbrook Shorty Aerial, Euro-Spec Hatch Handle.

Performance Enhancements: Ate Callipers/EBC Rotors/EBC Greens Stuff Pads, ST170 Suspension, Herrod's Custom Tune, Ford Racing Coated Exhaust Manifold & Bespoke 2.25in Exhaust.

Awards: AFD '07 EFOC Best Focus, SFS '09 EFOC Best Focus, SFS '10 RSOC O/all Best Focus, AFD '10 CFC O/all Best Focus.
Fast Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2008, 09:06 PM   #17
photn
AFF Post NAZI

next car after the fiesta would be Focus... ohh wait... been there done that.......hehehe

after the focus.. probably XR5T new or old.. who knows....

photn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2008, 11:54 AM   #18
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Als_Zetec
Mini - what a great choice! Too bad if you want to carry anything more than your laptop bag though!

The Abarth Fiats are also brilliant, though the 500 seems just too small for my liking (and a lot like a Micra).

Drove a Pug 206 Gti (not 180) as a company car for a bit. Sensational engine that just loves to rev, and the car loves to be thrown around. Hated the flywheel keeping the revs artifically high long after I'd backed off the throttle. Agree with Zetec Jim; electrics suck. New 207 Gti looks hot!

How about an Alfa 147 GTA or even a 156 GTA? Golf R32 MkIV or MkV? Skoda Octavia RS (don't knock it 'til you try it!)?

And the part where most can say 'tell him hes dreamin' - Audi RS4 or R8. My personal favourite is a Maserati Quattroporte.

Reality may say that my next car may be one of:
Alfa 156
A4 Quattro turbo
Accord Euro
Jetta / Passat

Let's see what happens in the next few months...

Ali.
Ali,

Good suggestions there! I've driven both the old supercharged engine, and the new 1.6L Turbo. I'd have to say, the new engine is much more useable with all the right power/torque at the right times - the old supercharger felt like a Fiesta 1.6L unless you really got the supercharger on tap and used all those 6 gears!

I went into a Clio 182 Cup and can say that I haven't really looked back (I still miss the Fiesta though!). An ex-renault carsalesmen moved to Alto Ford (Gavin rocks!) and called me to come in and give an XR4/XR5T for a thrashing - did just that. The XR4 brought back memories of the Zetec I once owned, however... that's just it - it drove very similar to the Zetec! Didn't seem like a big enough improvement engine wise for me to want it that bad. Although, I did send a long winded email when I just got the Clio telling Ford they had made a mistake and needed to bring the ST here - whatdoyaknow, it's here!

I think the next car would come down to this for me;

Skoda Octavia RS (like you Ali, don't knock them till you've tried it). Working with the motoring press as a news and reviews contributor, I've had the opportunity of driving a 2.0 TDI and 1.8 TSI and must admit, they are fabulous cars - especially the 1.8 TSI (118kw, 250Nm) which was like a smaller engined RS... damn that thing was quick for a Wagon! Sleeper material. It was also feature packed and quality was out of this world for the price point. Great car!

RenaultSport Megane 225 Cup - Again, feature packed and in my opinion the new model looks hot. Driven one too, and can tell you they are way quick! Feels a lot more like a hot hatch than a Golf GTI. And, instead of the GTI I'd have this or the above car. The GTI is just too expensive for what you get.

Ford Focus XR5T - because I'd love to be different, and nothing beats the sound of the engine! They look fantastic too. Shame about the lack of options/features on the aussie bound XR5Ts though... Hopefully that will improve with the next model!

Ali, I also thought about the Accord Euro before heading into the Clio, but I thought as I'm young there was no need to go family yet! And, after now having driven both an Accord Euro manual and Octavia TSI manual - I'd have the Octavia. And with the Jetta - the Octavia is basically a re-skinned Jetta for $2,000 less, and better built (The Octavia is actually European, unlike the Mexican Jetta!).

The Fiesta is a starting point - it's the best Drivers Car you can own new for the price! Not even the new Mazda2 I drove showed any signs of handling like the Fiesta...

'In fact, so good is the Clio 182 with the Cup chassis set-up that I feel moved to make a bold statement - I think it's the best hot hatch ever built.' (EVO Jan 04)
Teki04 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2008, 12:00 PM   #19
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

VW Golf GT Sport TDI...

They sound great on paper! Might call VW PR today and see if I can get a hold of this baby.

'In fact, so good is the Clio 182 with the Cup chassis set-up that I feel moved to make a bold statement - I think it's the best hot hatch ever built.' (EVO Jan 04)
Old 08-02-2008, 05:56 PM   #20
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teki04
VW Golf GT Sport TDI...

They sound great on paper! Might call VW PR today and see if I can get a hold of this baby.
Done.

I'll have this sweet ride from next week till the end of Feb!

Will report later

Old 08-02-2008, 09:04 PM   #21
Ives
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

How did u do that? did you go "hey, I'd like to take this for a 3-week test drive."
Ives is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2008, 12:08 AM   #22
zetec jim
04 fiesta zetec

Quote:
Done.

I'll have this sweet ride from next week till the end of Feb!

Will report later
They are brilliant, my old mum bought one bout 2 months ago. put it in S mode and feel that torque. they pull well indeed. KW's aren't bad either @ 125 or so. they look cool too.
Old 09-02-2008, 03:54 AM   #23
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ives
How did u do that? did you go "hey, I'd like to take this for a 3-week test drive."
Pretty much. Doing part time work for a mate's motoring website. I'm doing most of the calling, which means I do the choosing/booking a little too!

Also booked a Eos TDI Manual and Passat TDI DSG - I'll let you know how both go!

Zetec Jim... Correct, 125kW and 350Nm - should do 0-100 in 8.2s! Pretty surprising for a Hot Hatch. There is proof that you can have fun, aswell as being economical! Can't wait to test this. Next car (purchase for me) will be either a GT Sport TDI or R32 - depending on what money the wallet has!

Old 09-02-2008, 10:12 AM   #24
zetec jim
04 fiesta zetec

Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec jim
They are brilliant, my old mum bought one bout 2 months ago. put it in S mode and feel that torque. they pull well indeed. KW's aren't bad either @ 125 or so. they look cool too.
:

sorry my 'Old Man'.
Old 09-02-2008, 10:35 AM   #25
photn
AFF Post NAZI

Quote:
:

sorry my 'Old Man'.
was going to say.. you upgraded? lol..didnt know you could do that hahah

photn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2008, 01:01 AM   #26
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Well,

I had the Golf GT Sport TDI Manual all weekend, and I get it back tomorrow night too. What a fantastic car! It's a shame no other car company is yet to give us a sporty Diesel (come on Renault, bring us the RenaultSport Megane 175 Diesel!).

It sounds like a truck, but I think that sounds rather muscular for a Diesel. It has mountains of torque, and a really adjustable chassis - it shocked me how easily it was to get some lift-off oversteer! Steering was a little lifeless and a little too much on the light side, however it still handled corners extremely well and had a great exit speed too (torquey lil thing!). Probably due no doubt to the Continential ContiSport Contact2 and 17 inch rims. No black smoke coming out the back - the Diesel Particulate Filter takes care of that!

If you think the TDI can't hold it's own, I did this test with a Golf Mk5 GTI Manual and RS 182 Cup behind me - both keeping up, but damn the GT Sport was keeping itself on the ball.

All in all, for around the $40k drive-away price, there is no better car to upgrade into! Effortless power, Diesel torque, great gearbox, superb suspension with such balance between understeer and oversteer, as well as extremely good economy (7L/100kms under hard driving!).

I'm in love. I don't want to give this car back...

Old 19-02-2008, 07:58 AM   #27
kiwijohn42
Death B4 Decaf

Quote:
It's a shame no other car company is yet to give us a sporty Diesel.
Apart from the Fiat Punto Sport. Nice little driver, just a bit expensive & the interior feels a bit fragile.
Old 19-02-2008, 10:52 AM   #28
zetec jim
04 fiesta zetec

what colour GT Sport did you have? my old mans is the metallic grey/china blue colour. nice and unique, but i reckon silver is the go too...
Old 19-02-2008, 09:17 PM   #29
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Quote:
what colour GT Sport did you have? my old mans is the metallic grey/china blue colour. nice and unique, but i reckon silver is the go too...
Red! It was non-metallic but a freaking hot colour. I think I'd have red if I was to pick... looks best in the sun too!

Punto Sport Diesel - sorry, sort of forgot about that! It's just not that entertaining (I think) to drive. I'd save a little $$$ and just get an XR4 (saved $$$ would go towards the Fuel I guess).

The GT Sport TDI is cheaper than the GTI, and has a couple of things I prefer over the GTI (I.e. nicer pattern on cloth seats and multispoke rims, plus no black tacky plastic in place of a body kit) - all in all a classy car!

Old 19-02-2008, 09:28 PM   #30
zetec jim
04 fiesta zetec

Quote:
Red! It was non-metallic but a freaking hot colour. I think I'd have red if I was to pick... looks best in the sun too!

Punto Sport Diesel - sorry, sort of forgot about that! It's just not that entertaining (I think) to drive. I'd save a little $$$ and just get an XR4 (saved $$$ would go towards the Fuel I guess).

The GT Sport TDI is cheaper than the GTI, and has a couple of things I prefer over the GTI (I.e. nicer pattern on cloth seats and multispoke rims, plus no black tacky plastic in place of a body kit) - all in all a classy car!
They do punch out a lot of kays. But after owning my old 97' Pug 306 hatch 1.9 turbo diesel, which i got to Sydney on a tank in one fine day) i'd say that Diesel sometimes gets to be as expensive as premium unleaded. maybe my running costs were high because of it being an older car... oh how i loved that car.... now i just borrow my dads GTsportTDI Golf :evil3:
on a side note, one day filling up the little PUG someone ran up to me telling me that "that's Diesel mate!" i was like yeah thanks....