Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 13-02-2008, 03:50 AM   #1
stevep
Starter Motor

Default TDCi questions

Hello all,

New member here who will be moving to NSW from the UK round about July and am starting to do the really important things like sort out which car to buy (where we're going to live can wait...)!

Pretty high up the list at the moment is the Focus TDCi (ST would be nice but missus will be on P plates and I believe only Turbo diesels are allowed) but the Ford Australia website is 'limited' in it's info at best...

Therefore, got a few questions which I'd be grateful for any answers to or pointers to where the answers might be.

Does the TDCi have an immobiliser? The Focus specs sheet on the Ford website says PATS for all the other models but not for the TDCi. That can't be right surely?

Does the TDCi have the funky flip key? (Don't think that's necessarily make or break but would be nice).

Can a TDCi owner confirm if the iPod connector and cruise control are on this model? (Website says yes).

Anyone know if there are rear seat ISOFIX child seat mountings (little metal D type loops if you have a feel where the seat cushion meets the seat back - should be two per seat about 30-45cm apart but may not be on all seats)? We're wondering if it's worth bringing our ISOFIX UK seat out or buying a new one.

Is the tripcomputer thingy a green LCD one or the red LED one (again, not a deal breaker)?

Has it got any other features not on the website?

Service intervals. Am I right in thinking 15000km?

Anyone know when the latest model Focus is coming to Australia?

Finally, anyone give me any idea of a drive away price for a new metallic silver TDCi with the safety pack (will be buying in or a few hundred km around Sydney or possible one of the online dealers) and what the delivery time is from ordering? Anyone recommend a good dealer in or around Sydney?

Any answers would be much appreciated and hopefully will soon be part of the
Focus massive!

Cheers.

stevep is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2008, 11:33 AM   #2
auslander

Hello all,

New member here who will be moving to NSW from the UK round about July and am starting to do the really important things like sort out which car to buy (where we're going to live can wait...)!

God another bloody POME!

Pretty high up the list at the moment is the Focus TDCi (ST would be nice but missus will be on P plates and I believe only Turbo diesels are allowed) but the Ford Australia website is 'limited' in it's info at best...

That doesn't sound right.

Therefore, got a few questions which I'd be grateful for any answers to or pointers to where the answers might be.

Does the TDCi have an immobiliser? The Focus specs sheet on the Ford website says PATS for all the other models but not for the TDCi. That can't be right surely?

Yes.

Does the TDCi have the funky flip key? (Don't think that's necessarily make or break but would be nice).

Yes

Can a TDCi owner confirm if the iPod connector and cruise control are on this model? (Website says yes).

Yes an input plug is in the glovebox. Cruise is standard on the TDCI. TDCI at the moment only comes in manual. Lovely 6 speed box.

Anyone know if there are rear seat ISOFIX child seat mountings (little metal D type loops if you have a feel where the seat cushion meets the seat back - should be two per seat about 30-45cm apart but may not be on all seats)? We're wondering if it's worth bringing our ISOFIX UK seat out or buying a new one.

Not sure on this one. But i'd assume it would.

Is the tripcomputer thingy a green LCD one or the red LED one (again, not a deal breaker)?

It's green.

Has it got any other features not on the website?

Service intervals. Am I right in thinking 15000km?

Yep 15,000k

Anyone know when the latest model Focus is coming to Australia?

Finally, anyone give me any idea of a drive away price for a new metallic silver TDCi with the safety pack (will be buying in or a few hundred km around Sydney or possible one of the online dealers) and what the delivery time is from ordering? Anyone recommend a good dealer in or around Sydney?

Sorry I'm 1,000ks away and a different state.

I paid 28k for a TDCI silver with all the little addons drive away. Haggle is your friend. If you're buying with cash, hit them HARD!

Any answers would be much appreciated and hopefully will soon be part of the
Focus massive!

edited for my speeeling musteaks,

Last edited by auslander; 13-02-2008 at 11:39 AM.
auslander is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2008, 01:02 PM   #3
zetec
Zoom Zoom

That just about covers it, no need for any moer info! well answered auslander.

Isofix I believe one comes standard but I'm not certain.
Old 13-02-2008, 06:12 PM   #4
barra240t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Another note to make is that TDCi's from July to Oct 2007 build came into Australia with the Safety pack standard, which is Curtain Airbags, DSC with TC and EBA. They would be a good buy at the moment. If you look on the Australian site a Focus LX is basically a TDCi with a petrol engine.
Old 14-02-2008, 12:00 AM   #5
stevep
Starter Motor

Thanks for all the info. Much appreciated. 28k drive away sounds good if we can get it. We will be buying cash so I'll be haggling alright!

If any TDCi (or other Focus?) owners can have a feel for the ISOFIX mounts and let me know whether they're there that would be nice.

Will be buying early July so will see what deals are available at the time re safety pack etc. Was hoping the new model would be out in Australia around that time to use as a big bargaining chip on the current one but believe it won't be till '09 now.

Cheers for the replies.
Old 14-02-2008, 12:16 AM   #6
Rhubarb

Aus doesn't use the ISOFIX system so don't believe the TDCi will have them.

I have a 2007 LS Zetec (previous model) and it doesn't have them.
Rhubarb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2008, 10:12 PM   #7
Turbodiesel
Torquer

You can't go wrong with the car mate, it's tops. I've owned mine for 6 months now, so if you have any questions just ask
Turbodiesel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2008, 11:05 PM   #8
stevep
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbodiesel
You can't go wrong with the car mate, it's tops. I've owned mine for 6 months now, so if you have any questions just ask
That seems to be the general opinion. They're common as in the UK and a few of my mates have them (European build though). Nice engines. You can get them in all trim levels here - leather, sat-nav, Sony premium sound systems, dual zone climate control, etc. but the Aus trim has everything I need for now. Thought about the Mondeo but a outside the price range for now,

Re questions, how much drive away for cash and any ISOFIX mounts? I know it hasn't been adopted in Aus but wondering if it's standard anyway.

Cheers.
Old 14-02-2008, 11:38 PM   #9
Martyvan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhubarb
Aus doesn't use the ISOFIX system so don't believe the TDCi will have them.

I have a 2007 LS Zetec (previous model) and it doesn't have them.
I have a LR Zetec, and it has 3 ISOFIX points built into the back of the seatback.... I think you will find that they are in fact on the new one also, cant imagine going backwards.....
Martyvan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2008, 12:33 AM   #10
auslander

I'm wondering if the euro built models have this ISOFIX system and the SA built version don't. As they are made for OZ particularly?

In any case. it's not the standard used in OZ, and i'd doubt it would be approved re-: insurance etc. Not sure on this however.

I couldn't find any anchor points as you describe, but it does have 1 fitment that is used in OZ, on the rear of the middle seat. Although i did notice on either end of the rear seat, when folded down.. there is what looks like some funky connector thingy. Never seen it's like before. totally covered when seat in normal position.
auslander is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2008, 12:57 AM   #11
Uni

best bet - call a dealer, ask for a quote, and ask about the ISOFIX.

Uni/.
Uni is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2008, 02:37 AM   #12
irs

The TDCi comes with three anchor points for child restraints - one on the back of each seat. However only one anchor clip is fitted. When I purchased my TDCi recently I requested that two clips be fitted which the dealer did. They are not very expensive being a clip and bolt which screws into the anchor point. The child seat/restraint is attached to this clip and the seat belt also is used to restrain the seat.
I have one seat fitted and will shortly fit a second. Could be a bit cramped if three seat were fitted.
If the unit you have does not comply with Australian Standards there could be problems if you ever had an insurance claim related to the seat.
With reference to "folding Key" one is supplied and the other is a normal "fixed" key.
irs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2008, 10:24 PM   #13
stevep
Starter Motor

Thanks for the extra info. Trying to get as much info as possible before dealing with the dealers, especially re drive away prices.

Have used the child seat retaining strap and seatbelt system in rentals on previous visits to Australia but hoping to save a few dollars initially. Thanks for looking at the systems on your cars.
Old 17-02-2008, 11:14 PM   #14
Turbodiesel
Torquer

Do you plan on doing a lot of travelling? Because the diesel is quite a bit more expensive than the petrol LX and would only pay off in the long run.

That is of course if you're after the economy side of it.
Turbodiesel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2008, 08:41 AM   #15
stevep
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbodiesel
Do you plan on doing a lot of travelling? Because the diesel is quite a bit more expensive than the petrol LX and would only pay off in the long run.

That is of course if you're after the economy side of it.
Hopefully will never have to do the miles that would justify the diesel on economy grounds. Like a lot on here, it's the torque I'll be buying it for!