Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 12-10-2008, 10:08 PM   #1
pc007
silverxr6t

Default channel 7's coverage of the great race

Did anyone notice that channel 7’s coverage of the great race today has dropped off from previous years? We never saw one full lap from the in car cameras for any car, just 10 second bits around the track. Last year coverage didn’t show any telemetry from the cars, (this year they did) just not long enough. It’s very disappointing, the only good thing is this has definitely made my mind up for me to go next year.

pc007 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2008, 10:13 PM   #2
cArSiK
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

In car coverage in particular was sub standard with only very short clips before the stream started to break up. Im guessing they were having technical issues.
cArSiK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2008, 10:15 PM   #3
LowEL2XR8
Mr Impulsive

Give it back to channel 10 who made the sport what it is today.

Earlier this year they cut a race short to show the bloody football. That was disgusting.

As far as I see it 7 should have footy and tennis, 9 has the cricket and 10 has motorsport.
Old 12-10-2008, 10:16 PM   #4
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Off topic slightly, I used to love how Channel 10 would give us incar for a full lap or maybe more, with NO COMMENTARY at all. Ahhh bliss.

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2008, 10:17 PM   #5
hannem

In my opinion there is nothing better that seeing a full in car camera lap when the commentators shut their gobs and just let us look and listen.

Just like the castle "ahh the serenity"

Don't dislike any commentators, just like it when they shut up for a bit, sometimes it's like they need to yabber just to fill in the empty spaces.

Cheers M

EDIT

I was typing as Peuty was typing (post above) looks like we like the same thing.

Last edited by hannem; 12-10-2008 at 10:28 PM.
hannem is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2008, 10:17 PM   #6
futura888
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I thought they did alright,it was just little bit annoying with all the ad's...Just a shame about Matthew White's over the top commentary.
futura888 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2008, 10:21 PM   #7
pauljh74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by futura888
I thought they did alright,it was just little bit annoying with all the ad's...Just a shame about Matthew White's over the top commentary.
I reckon the Ch 7 execs were out there re-depositing tyre marbles on the racing line to cause crashes, so a safety car would come out and they could go to another ad break.
Not bad for a #2 driver
Mark Webber after winning the 2010 British Grand Prix.
pauljh74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2008, 10:21 PM   #8
xertia

Quote:
Originally Posted by cArSiK
In car coverage in particular was sub standard with only very short clips before the stream started to break up. Im guessing they were having technical issues.
Kinda like the technical issue they had with the fly cam cable falling down onto the main straight eh? ;-)

I have been disappointed with 7's coverage ever since it went to them, I can't say I've notice any improvements. Definitely not on par with what they were promising.

And as for this weekends coverage, man that over-dramatized Eddie Mcguire music was annoying... almost as annoying as Delta Goodrem!!

"Goes like the clappers"
xertia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2008, 10:22 PM   #9
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I dont even think Channel 7 do the coverage, they just show what they are given. Pretty sure its another group, who also did it when Channel 10 had it.,
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2008, 10:25 PM   #10
MightyXR6Turbo
Boooostn'

Well - I for one actually like Channel 7's coverage, but mainly only for ONE reason. That is that the race is actually broadcast LIVE into Adelaide! Channel 10 never had the decency to give South Australian's live coverage of the great race, at least Channel 7 does. Also, Channel 10's coverage was always crap. Always delayed telecasts, always edited and crap. So from an SA point of view, Channel 7 is much better.

1979 XD Fairmont Ghia - Silver, 302C V8, Full velour interior, slowly building her up to be a tough cruiser!

2002 Nissan Patrol ST - Desert Gold, 4.8L DOHC 6cyl petrol (Soon to be reequipped with a 5.7L LS1 V8), 5speed auto, lifted, locked, 33's, nature destruction vehicle!
MightyXR6Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2008, 10:27 PM   #11
futura888
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauljh74
I reckon the Ch 7 execs were out there re-depositing tyre marbles on the racing line to cause crashes, so a safety car would come out and they could go to another ad break.
Haha,would not surprise me...Actually i'm glad they went to ad's,otherwise we would have had to listen to crompton showing us the watts linkage on a c.a.d screen and what sought of fuel usage they were getting

Last edited by futura888; 12-10-2008 at 10:28 PM. Reason: spelling error
futura888 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2008, 10:27 PM   #12
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowEFGLi
Give it back to channel 10 who made the sport what it is today.

Earlier this year they cut a race short to show the bloody football. That was disgusting.

As far as I see it 7 should have footy and tennis, 9 has the cricket and 10 has motorsport.
Agreed.
Old 12-10-2008, 10:28 PM   #13
pc007
silverxr6t

Yep i forgot to mention that special camera (thermal) one which they never used today!! I agree give it back to 10 then to make it worse i was watching the new (same channel) and they told me the results of the F1 tonight before it has aired on 10
pc007 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2008, 10:30 PM   #14
ashmann
Fastideous Car Owner

Default Good Coverage

I actually thought it wasnt bad, except for Matthew Whits OTT Commentary in the last couple of laps.. like Greg Murphy was going to make up almost 3 seconds on Craig Lowndes on the last lap... as if..

On another note, I really liked the camera they had on a wire that covered the last couple of corners before hitting conrod striaght.. that worked pretty well i thought...
Old 12-10-2008, 10:35 PM   #15
vanman_75
XD Sundowner

but coverage is coverage no radio station had any ,bar 3 seconds every half hour that was 20 mins behind and in the wrong order ,lucky i had mates on the job with up to the minute texts and calls .so please dont complain too much
Old 12-10-2008, 10:38 PM   #16
Paxton
Cobblers!

XR6 Martin - Channel 7 just broadcast what AVESCO capture. They control what cameras are broadcast, but have no control over the cameras themselves.

Bathurst is the wrong track for anything in-car, especially digital. As you notice with Digital TV, you either have signal, or you don't, there is no in-between. When it drops off, that's it, no snow, no ghosting, no picture. As Bathurst has lots of trees, and a big hill (called Mount Something), in car cameras are always going to be hard.

The biggest problem with the coverage is Matt White. Perfectly suited to Today Tonight, but not something where he needs to be quiet for a couple of minutes. All the networks have been just as bad when it comes to a Pace Car, like Channel 9 going to an ad when there is a Wicket taken in Cricket, or a Try scored in Rugby League.

It would have been nice if Channel 7 would have given up on the In Car Cameras, as they failed something awful today. Other than that, the video was acceptable. If you don't like the commentary, press Mute.
Roses are red. Violets are blue. OS X rocks. Homage to you.
Paxton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2008, 10:39 PM   #17
Oxa384
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

in car camrea work was the worst ive ever seen in a telecast :
Oxa384 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2008, 10:40 PM   #18
ieatsports_cars
proud member of the MFCC

yeah give it back to 10, congrats to craig what a brillant race though
ieatsports_cars is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2008, 10:40 PM   #19
XR6_190
BF XR6, oh yeah!!

How is it that when 10 had both the AFL and the V8s they managed to a top job of both (in my opinion) but now that 7 have both they can't get either right? Personally i liked it before when 10 and 9 had the AFL, 10 had the V8s and 9 had the cricket, seems to like 7 and sports don't mix.

Actually i do believe that 10 originally had written into their AFL contract that they wouldn't cover Sunday games as they didn't want it to eat into time for their Motorsport coverage.

And don't get me started on the amount of ads injected into the AFL and V8 Supercars, it's a joke
Old 12-10-2008, 10:41 PM   #20
xertia

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanman_75
but coverage is coverage no radio station had any ,bar 3 seconds every half hour that was 20 mins behind and in the wrong order ,lucky i had mates on the job with up to the minute texts and calls .so please dont complain too much
Hey, when V8SC is getting as much money as they are out of us (us that actually attend races and buy merchandise), I think we have a right to complain.

"Goes like the clappers"
Old 12-10-2008, 10:41 PM   #21
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

The coverage at the end of the race where they gave the second place team more coverage than the winning team was atrocious.
Silver Ghia is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2008, 10:44 PM   #22
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I find it interesting about it being not suitable for digital, the cycle racing in China during the Olympics wasnt suitable for Digital (going through tunnels, over hills-bigger than that of Mt Panorama ect), but they somehow made it work....
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2008, 10:44 PM   #23
xertia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Ghia
The coverage at the end of the race where they gave the second place team more coverage than the winning team was atrocious.
Lol, I think team vodafone got enough coverage in the lead up week, seemed like they were all anyone could talk about. With good reason to though, 3 in a row, sweet. :

"Goes like the clappers"
Old 12-10-2008, 10:48 PM   #24
ea_monty

way too many add breaks what a joke!!!!
congrats on lowndes and wincup on winning bathurst for the 3rd time in a row and sticking it to the holdens good on ya boys and wincup is now leading the championship.
ea_monty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2008, 10:51 PM   #25
DOC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I enjoyed it, first day did not work in weeks, could have had donald duck commentating for all i care, a blue oval won and from where i sat my glass was half full.
DOC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2008, 10:57 PM   #26
Buzz Box
Wheel Wally

Wow was bathhurst on?? I was wondering what that was interrupting my ad's!!

How rude!! I was trying to watch 5 hours of non-stop ads and every 5 mins or so these cars would pop up for a min or so with something about fuel then disappear so I could enjoy my 5 mins of non-stop ads.........
Buzz Box is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2008, 11:14 PM   #27
4MYEGO

Great Post.

I couldn't agree more.

Go the blue oval.
4MYEGO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2008, 11:18 PM   #28
GTP290

anyone notice the black chopper in the background when the cars where coming down the dipper, it must of flown over that section a couple of dozen times, almost looked like something off a james bond flick. One thing I was suprised with was the amount of cars (or lack of) on the track. I remember a few years ago about talk of pre qualifying to even make the rounds, but back in the late 80s there would be about 50 cars racing, and they were gridded up right around the corner.
Old 12-10-2008, 11:25 PM   #29
vanman_75
XD Sundowner

Quote:
Originally Posted by xertia
Hey, when V8SC is getting as much money as they are out of us (us that actually attend races and buy merchandise), I think we have a right to complain.
was that the place i went last year and spent 5 g ,na must of been someone else .lmore listeners viewers you can get the more people inject into your company ,5 mins coverage for a whole day im surprised us northerners even know it exists , :
Old 13-10-2008, 12:38 AM   #30
fordel
Tricolore Tard
Contributing Member

The coverage was bloody freaking pathetic

Just up to the usual channel 7 standard of covering sports though i spose.

Seemed like every 2 mins there was another set of bloody ads.