Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 17-11-2008, 09:06 PM   #1
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 
Default AU I6 Reliability & Longevity, 200K+ ?

As per usual with me, i'm looking for another car, this time as a run about / project to work on and enjoy on the side of having the BA. (unless it sells) ;) . Had a look at a few AU's but the ones in the lower price bracket all have more than 200K on the dial. My question is what is the reliability of these motors like after they hit the 200K mark ? I know the e series needed gasket work, but the AU's don't suffer that, so are there any things to be wary of ?

Professor Farnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2008, 09:09 PM   #2
StealthAu
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

they're a pretty decent donk and people see them go double that with minimal dramas. But at a cost of around $350 for a replacement, it isn't really much of an issue anyway.
StealthAu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2008, 09:23 PM   #3
The Mighty Red

My XR6 has 260k's on the clock , and still goes as hard as the day I bought it 130K...the 4.0 is a great donk.....There would be more expensive maintenance issues other than the engine IMO...

A well maintained I6 4.0 will go well over 300k no problem.
Old 17-11-2008, 11:16 PM   #4
broken_suave
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Apart from changing a few sensors (O2, knock, etc) as well as thermostat, and all the little bits, the engine its self is brilliantly reliable.

Mine is now at 216,000kms and has really only gotten better with age. I have known the car since 98,000kms and apart from having an alternator replaced, there have been no engine repairs needed, just basic maintenence.

As the mighty red posted, there would be more pressing issues to look at elsewhere on the car. Engine is nothing to worry about.

Previously:
98 AU Futura 4.0 - Wildcat Extractors, 200cpsi Stainless Cat, Custom 2.5" Mandrel Bent Exhaust, Tickford Snorkel, Fram 'Airhog' Panel Filter - Daily

79 P6 LTD Silver Monarch - Project
broken_suave is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2008, 11:33 PM   #5
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

thanks for the replies, apreciated.

and yes other issues such as transmission, driveline in general, dif will be checked out..

got my eye on an au1 Futura, i like the grille I'd go AU2 for better brakes etc but i only have about 5g to spend.
Old 17-11-2008, 11:47 PM   #6
broken_suave
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I can vouch for the futura ;)

Previously:
98 AU Futura 4.0 - Wildcat Extractors, 200cpsi Stainless Cat, Custom 2.5" Mandrel Bent Exhaust, Tickford Snorkel, Fram 'Airhog' Panel Filter - Daily

79 P6 LTD Silver Monarch - Project
broken_suave is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2008, 02:42 AM   #7
smoo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Have an AU1 Futura, unopened original engine about to hit 451000km. Didn't use any oil on 10w50 but I've recently changed to 15w 40 and she goes thru bugger all in between 5000km changes I give her - about 3mm on the dipstick. Great cars, but at the end of the day it comes down to how it's been treated by previous owners.
As mentioned above, at anything over 200km, suspension bushes, g/b servicing etc. would need addressing before any engine work.

Last edited by smoo; 18-11-2008 at 02:57 AM.
smoo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2008, 09:44 PM   #8
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

It's not really a case f the engine itself having issues ... it's all the auxilliaries.

Auto (you gotta hope the previous own serviced it regularly .. I mean HOPE) ... other wise you can try and keep the auto going by babying it .... but in the end poor servicing means a replacement is on the cards ($1500-$2000 inc labour for a stock item ... add another $500-$750 for a strong one ... depending where you go).

Suspension parts ... as with age of the vehicle the suspension will get tired ... most of the bushes will probably need replacing ... shocks/springs ... shock mounts and the like.

Steering ... if a rack hasn't been changed previously ... it may well need it ... tie-rod ends, etc. Hight pressure hose (or at least the stupid teflon O-ring that is a right pain and always ends up leaking).

Cooling system ... we all know the quality of the Ford radiator is like ... I will suggest first thing to do is upgrade to a copper core with larger internal trans cooler (if auto) ... or just get a radiator for a manual and bypass the internal cooler with an external one ... another thing that saves your auto .... see auto servicing above.

Another part of the cooling system that would need checking is the water pump and thermostat as well ... if the water pump is stll original ... replace it ... the internal vanes are probably rusted out and barely pumping anything anymore.

These are just a couple of things off the top of my head .... although this really should be checked on any used car really ... not many what the age. If the oil changes are regular ... the engine will be fine ... all i make a suggestion for is to change the oil every 5,000km religiously .... just for piece of mine and insurance for the motor.

I forgot to add ... I traded my AUII ute in with about 285,000km on it .... it was driven every single day ... and nothing less than 150km a day ... most of it was Sydney metro stop/start traffic loaded up. I was finding it was costing me more and more though when it came around to getting things fixed AGAIN on it ... and I found it was overheating on the hot days (and that was with the entire cooling system replaced and a twin core radiator in it ... every one was stumped why it was doing it ... one reason why i really had to let it go prior to this Summer).
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2008, 09:50 PM   #9
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

great info there, thanks a lot for that
Old 18-11-2008, 09:51 PM   #10
Johndec
FG XR8 Ute and AU3 XR8

Like Mechan1k said, the donk should be fine, barely run in even!! It's the rest of the car you have to look carefully at. My son has an AU ute with ~230,000ks. I had my mechanic go over it when he got it and it got 2 thumbs up. (The mechanic owns an AU ute so he knows them).
Johndec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-11-2008, 08:19 AM   #11
Foggy

My AU1 ute just clocked up 300000 and still goes well. The other part to check is the exhaust, particularly the cat as when mine collapsed it caused a few issues.
Foggy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-11-2008, 12:22 PM   #12
T-Pak Addict
Jim

mine being an ex taxi just clocked 840k.... Original engine is still in the car, do my normal 10k oil changes and it only drops about 1/2 litre between changes.... Have been waiting the last 12 months for my Trans to die but hasnt yet ( got a spare in the shed) it does the odd slips and slide when its cold but generally its ok...... Diff is still good and no noises.... while the trans and diff probably have been replaced at some stage, I dont know any history on the motor itself apart from its matching numbers.

Got it off ebay for $1700 March 2007 and havent looked back.....
Have done all the usual mods and scored a fairmont interior cheap to tidy up the inside..... and it has come along nicely absolutely love this car.... Most reliable car I have had so far..... The wife drives an AU Futura 166k and I still prefer mine..... go figure

The Old Daily.......2003 Octane BA Taxi Pak Egas Falcon Build Thread
T-Pak Addict is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-11-2008, 01:12 PM   #13
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

i think smoo is the most accurate representation of what to expect.

my AUII has 651k on the clock and marchin like a trooper. original unopened donk.

Anyway, age kills cars quicker than kays do.
Old 19-11-2008, 05:41 PM   #14
TheSly1

I have an AU3 SR with 215,000 kms on it.. and i cant even come close to selling it.. i mena not even one phone call its now priced at $7,150 before that being at 7.5k and 8k.. the car is gun metal grey... and has not 1 single problem..

Its so damn relaible and really does drive like it has half the kms... so smooth... but i cant even come close to selling it..

and 215,000 ppfft its nothing for these motors.. they will 350,000 to 400,000 easy... and a low km motor are cheap as anyways...

If I cant sell mine ill just throw it on gas and keep it for 5 years.. cause much cheaper than this and its barely worth selling
TheSly1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-11-2008, 09:03 PM   #15
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

200K is just run in I've seen cabs do 8 to 900K on one engine

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-11-2008, 09:23 PM   #16
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackersINC
thanks for the replies, apreciated.

and yes other issues such as transmission, driveline in general, dif will be checked out..

got my eye on an au1 Futura, i like the grille I'd go AU2 for better brakes etc but i only have about 5g to spend.
I can't see why a S2 wouldn't be achievable for 5k.
private9 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-11-2008, 09:49 PM   #17
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Quote:
Originally Posted by private9
I can't see why a S2 wouldn't be achievable for 5k.
without RWC certainly, but not with..
Old 19-11-2008, 10:38 PM   #18
BLACKAUXR8
Young !@#$ Head

I sold my series 1 with 340,000 on it for 5,500 6 months ago. With wheels and exhaust. Ran like a dream. Never had a problem with the motor. My dad bought it new and i bought it of him. Only problem i had was gear box and Diff once the k's start getting high the diff is the one to watch according to the cabbies i've talked to.

AU3 220 XR8
CUSTOM PEARL PAINT
LOWERED THEN LOWERED EVEN MORE
ADVANTI 20's
K&N
PORTED MANIFOLDS
TWIN 2 1/2 into 3 inch PIPES
244rwhp
NOW WITH T5 5 SPEED
COBRA CLUTCH AND BILLET LIGHTENED FLYWHEEL

SUZUKI GSX-R 750
BLACK 2007 MODEL
CARBON FIBRE YOSHI PIPE
BLACKAUXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2009, 04:12 PM   #19
V3RSAC3
... Fear it!

Had 330,000kays on mine with no problems AT ALL!. Besides my trans blowing at 328,000k. ... The car's now done 345+ but thats with a new engine and I only replaced the engine because I was in an accident.
Chrysler 300C Sedan
SY Territory Ghia
V3RSAC3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2009, 04:50 PM   #20
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

thread mine much Nath? :P

200,000km is nothing for these engines. Jims taxi is still on its 1st motor from what I know of and thats done 850,000km.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2009, 05:29 PM   #21
frd906
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

mines just hit 314,000kms on orignal engine, tranny and diff, have no problems at all, all up so far i have replaced about 20 things on the car,

Posted by Xcabbi, Does it slap or rattle? Rattle is more to do with timing chains and tensioners. Slap is more to do with lifters, rings, bearings or GENIII boat anchors
frd906 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2009, 05:33 PM   #22
POELWYK
Lost Boost Gained Class

mines got 270,000 ODD on the clock still gose well its been on gas Most if not all of it life the only things i have wrong with it is i cant start it in park ill get it looked at

it gose like a dream i love my AU for that reson that just keep goin and goin
Old 24-11-2009, 06:01 PM   #23
V3RSAC3
... Fear it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval
thread mine much Nath? :P

200,000km is nothing for these engines. Jims taxi is still on its 1st motor from what I know of and thats done 850,000km.

What do you mean? LOL I'm confused
Chrysler 300C Sedan
SY Territory Ghia
Old 24-11-2009, 06:03 PM   #24
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Quote:
Originally Posted by V3RSAC3
What do you mean? LOL I'm confused
well, i asked the question more than a year ago, and the last post was also more than a year ago, thanks for the info either way though haha
Old 24-11-2009, 06:07 PM   #25
V3RSAC3
... Fear it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Farnsworth
well, i asked the question more than a year ago, and the last post was also more than a year ago, thanks for the info either way though haha

OHHH. Sorry man! It came up on my recent post in aufalcon.com section. I don't even read dates I thought this was like a new post! ... :( Sorry bro :(
Chrysler 300C Sedan
SY Territory Ghia
Old 24-11-2009, 07:06 PM   #26
POELWYK
Lost Boost Gained Class

woops i dont read deats i just replay if theres new posts soz man