Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 26-04-2009, 09:51 PM   #1
Zoolander
Starter Motor

Default Ford Focus TDI

Hey guys I'm new to the forum and am currently looking at purchasing an 08 Ford Focus TDI.

Just wondering is there anything in particular that I should be looking out for mechanically? Common faults that people may have needed to take back to the dealer for.

Also, does the head unit play mp3's? I asked a salesmen and he said yes. However I have read a review which suggests that it doesn't.

In the Ford family I currently own a 68 ZB Fairlane which I'm planning to work on eventually...whenever that may be

Zoolander is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2009, 10:21 PM   #2
Fair302
Life is a Ride!

Great driveaway prices on new once now, check it out and negotiate!

: 2011 Honda CB400 - Pearl White; Megacycle slip-on, Some Carbon Fibre & More... 2010 Yamaha Virago 250 - Burgandy
Fair302 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2009, 11:46 PM   #3
Loris
Focus & Territory TDCi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoolander

Also, does the head unit play mp3's? I asked a salesmen and he said yes. However I have read a review which suggests that it doesn't.
they always say it does, but its bs.. the head unit wont play mp3s, CD Audio only. They say it can play mp3s because the focus comes with an AUX port in the glove box (really stupid place to put it) which you can plug your phone, ipod etc into.

the car is good and economical, nothing mechanically wrong so far to point out
Loris is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2009, 11:52 PM   #4
AnthonyTDCi
Focus TDCi

loris is right about the cd player. my sales man said the same thing...lying lol

check out the focus fault register in this forum...that will give you some idea about what people have dealt with.

i cant complain about mine. few little niggles here and there but nothing major to worry about.
AnthonyTDCi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2009, 09:27 AM   #5
marg99
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

salesmen seem to get confused because the CD/radio has an input jack well hidden in the glovebox into which you can plug the output from an MP3 player but the cd player cannot decode MP3.
marg99 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2009, 01:22 PM   #6
Turbodiesel
Torquer

I've had no machanical difficulties, only common Focus cosmetic issues ala South Africa. The engine isn't built there thank god.

Excellent car, can't fault the mechanicals.
Turbodiesel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2009, 04:08 PM   #7
Chicka

Had mine just on 12 months - nothing bad to report.Fantastic to drive-surging torque...Great economy....Excels on the highway!!!! Go right ahead!
Chicka
Chicka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2009, 11:07 AM   #8
~Spyne~

yep, go for it.
used to be a deadset holden man, but after buying my focus, there's nothing mechanically to complain about.
Old 29-04-2009, 06:24 PM   #9
elgreko

Make sure the carpet is fitting properly near pas front door, carpet not pealing off back seats.Another common problem people don't notice glove box light staying on! Oil around intercooler in and out pipes.
elgreko is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-05-2009, 11:06 AM   #10
jayjays
Starter Motor

Great car, Ive had mine 6 months. Nothing to complain about. I have just replaced my head unit with the latest alpine with MP3 etc and it is amazing how good the factory speakers actually sound with a higher input.
jayjays is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-05-2009, 05:34 PM   #11
jumbuck
Starter Motor

Anyone purchased the new 6 speed auto diesel one yet? I have one coming in a couple of weeks and just wondering what others think of them. This will be my first diesel.After comparing the petrol to the diesel the decision was easy.
jumbuck is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2009, 08:16 PM   #12
coxtrans
Not Happy

Well I have a TDCI Diesel, has only done 24,000kms and have had nothing but trouble. Please read my post - Ford Focus TDCI Engine System Fault. Its going back to the garage again Monday. Will never buy another one.
coxtrans is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post