Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 01-05-2009, 05:56 PM   #1
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Lightbulb 2010 Falcon/Territory (speculation)

Right.

We know that come 2010, some time before July 1, there is going to be (well, HAS to be if Fr0d want to keep selling them) a mildly updated Falcon (let's call it the FH for argument's sake) and a heavily revised Territory (SZ perhaps?). The Territory is supposed to have a redesigned front and back end, FG driveline and interior, so we're told.

Keeping in mind the Euro 4 cutoff date next year, it's roughly 12 months out from the on-sale date of both of these cars.

Going back through the threads in the lead up to when Orion was released, test mules started cropping up on public roads and scuttlebutt started appearing here and there, roughly 12 months out from the on-sale date. Now I know full well there is probably no such "golden rule" of starting public testing 12 months out from release, but to me it seems that this may be a logical testing procedure for Ford prior to release of a new car.

Possible changes to the FH over the FG probably arent going to be much, probably just engine calibration changes as detailed by Ford themselves and by posters here, and perhaps some cosmetic differences (think of the model transition from BA to BF - this is what I think will happen). This car is supposedly the 'Huntsman' car that has been talked about. To that end, they could probably get away with doing the bulk of FH testing within the proving ground (probably what they did with the SYII Territory because the changes were so minor) and what full-build mules that are actually on the street are probably indistinguishable to the average punter. Only the trainspotters will be able to tell the difference.

Not so for the new Territory - with the amount of changes that are supposedly being done, there will come a time where Ford will have to venture out of the proving ground for real-world testing.

The point I am making at the end of all this speculation is that the test mules are probably out there, amongst us, right now! Get those cameras at the ready!

Perhaps someone with some inside knowledge can chime in as to whether this is on the mark or not (without incriminating yourself - it's not worth getting fired over!). Or perhaps you have in fact seen what appeared to be a 2010 Falcon or Territory test mule on the road where you are but werent sure what it was.

Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2009, 06:03 PM   #2
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

I won't hold my breath here in Adelaide, as I doubt we'd get a test mule. But it's an interesting theory you have about release dates/test mule sightings. Be good to see some snaps.
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2009, 06:13 PM   #3
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

When we start to spot the Mules for the next falcons that have a different sounding V8 i'll be very interisted..
FPV8U is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2009, 06:19 PM   #4
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I know of 2 terry test muels getting around geelong with deisel engines so anythingis possiable

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jason[98.EL] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2009, 06:45 PM   #5
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason[98.EL]
I know of 2 terry test muels getting around geelong with deisel engines so anythingis possiable
Didnt someone post about a month ago saying that there was a whole gaggle of them out and about, just they are unnoticeable because they are in the 'old' bodyshell??
Old 01-05-2009, 06:54 PM   #6
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

in 2010 we are most likely to see a FG mkII...with the typical added feature and improved engines.

Huntsman was canned...

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2009, 08:52 PM   #7
yift
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Countless sensible, accurate mechanical advice on all things Falcon and Territory. 

the terry diesels have been going around for over a year
yift is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2009, 09:17 PM   #8
BrisVegas
Noobie

have they decided which diesel it's gonna be?
LS Focus Zetec 5dr - gone
WS Fiesta Zetec 5dr - gone
BrisVegas is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2009, 09:28 PM   #9
fou_bleu
Get EcoBoosted

I'm hoping the diesel is the (at least single) turbo V6 from Jag/LR, but wasn't there some kind of engine bay space issues???
fou_bleu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2009, 09:30 PM   #10
R-Design
Guess Who's Back?

I haven't seen anything but I hope the rumors that the Four Speed Auto is dropped are true, and that the Coyote V8 is an absolute monster.

Lets shoot for the stars, how about a Factory Sunroof & Lockable Fuel Cap.
R-Design is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2009, 09:54 PM   #11
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked
in 2010 we are most likely to see a FG mkII...with the typical added feature and improved engines.

Huntsman was canned...
My understanding is that Huntsman was canned when the switch to the V6 was made. Then the switch back to the I6 'uncanned' the Huntsman program.

Given we are probably 12 months out from the on-sale date for both cars, there ought to be more information out there...
Old 01-05-2009, 10:11 PM   #12
Elks
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason[98.EL]
I know of 2 terry test mules getting around Geelong with diesel engines so anything is possible
Yes but there was a black territory mule which used to stop outside work with a clear V8 rumble. It never made production.
Old 02-05-2009, 12:56 AM   #13
JutroXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My guess would be Territory to come out with LR 2.7l TD.

5.0l V8 supercharged for the Falcons.

Possibly touch screen display in the high series falcons ala BMW and the likes???

FGX XR8, Auto, Black.

WG Fiesta ST Manual, Black.
JutroXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2009, 01:29 AM   #14
Mr_4.0
What Wheelspin?

i know the answers and many of u are well off the ball.

2003 BA Xr6 Turbo (Atomic Long, DTM auto, Nizpro stage2 kit, eaton truetrac, E85, HeadsexTuned)
Mr_4.0 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2009, 01:35 AM   #15
Swordsman88
Getting it done.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_4.0
i know the answers and many of u are well off the ball.
well cough up the info then...... Its no point torturing people, if you don't want to give up the info for ethical/legal reasons so be it, but a statement like that at least desevers a hint after it.

Now with:
Pacemaker 4499s
Lukey Catback Exhaust
Chrome BA XR-style tip
Airdam Mounted CAI with modified (bellmouth) airbox
Trip Computer install
KYB shocks
Bridgestone Adrenalin tyres

Coming Soon:
Exhaust Overhaul.....
Swordsman88 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2009, 08:26 AM   #16
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior
My understanding is that Huntsman was canned when the switch to the V6 was made. Then the switch back to the I6 'uncanned' the Huntsman program.

Given we are probably 12 months out from the on-sale date for both cars, there ought to be more information out there...
It's the other way around, V6 Falcon was Huntsman. Huntsman is dead. Count to 3 and it's the I6 again.

What more info would you like that hasn't already been given? The I6 will soldier on, there's a Diesel Territory. Falcon's sheet-metal might undergo some changes. FPV won't have a supercharged V8, it's purely NA with about the same power as they have now. XR8 will get the 270kW V8 version, although not as powerful it will be as quick as, if not quicker, than current XR8, and handle a whole lot better.

You won't see 2010 Territory mules since there isn't any substantial changes in the styling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swordsman88
well cough up the info then...... Its no point torturing people, if you don't want to give up the info for ethical/legal reasons so be it, but a statement like that at least deserves a hint after it.
I agree, it's like saying "some of you are right, and some of you are wrong". Anyone could have said that. If his post was aimed at one person's comments then that would be okay, but he was very vague. Who's right and who's wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss315
Lets shoot for the stars, how about a Factory Sunroof & Lockable Fuel Cap.
Old 02-05-2009, 08:49 AM   #17
R-Design
Guess Who's Back?

[QUOTE=Falc'man]FPV won't have a supercharged V8, it's purely NA with about the same power as they have now.

I hope this isn't true. The way Rod Barrett's been running his mouth about the new V8, if performance is similar he might as well start looking for a new job now.
Old 02-05-2009, 10:29 AM   #18
Paxton
Cobblers!

Youseef - before the I6 was killed, we had Huntsman. With the V6, we had 123. The insiders haven't exactly been forthcoming with the new code name, so I can't help out there.

The current mail on Territory, is that, once the Diesel Territroy arrives, Territory will be Diesel only, as there are too many added complexities in having two engines in Teeritory. Not the best news.
Roses are red. Violets are blue. OS X rocks. Homage to you.
Paxton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2009, 10:45 AM   #19
JMO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Forgive my ignorance, but can't the I6 be made to run on diesel?
JMO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2009, 10:56 AM   #20
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

[QUOTE=Boss315]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falc'man
FPV won't have a supercharged V8, it's purely NA with about the same power as they have now.

I hope this isn't true. The way Rod Barrett's been running his mouth about the new V8, if performance is similar he might as well start looking for a new job now.
Falc'man said same power, not same performance, just like he said the xr8 will have the 270kw version, 20kws down on the current engine but will be just as quick if not quicker. So the new V8 with about the same power will be much quicker
GS608 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2009, 10:58 AM   #21
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Surely they won't only offer one engine in the Territory. That does not make any sense to me at all.

If they can offer 4 choices in Falcon, I6 Petrol, Egas, I6T and V8, why would they only offer 1 in Territory.

Surely, Egas, Diesel and Petrol engines will be offered?

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2009, 11:42 AM   #22
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Having diesel-only in the Territory seems stupid. Surely they wouldn't do this. They would alienate most of their Territory customer base if they did that, because people will think that diesel = smelly and rattly = no bingo. I know it's jnot quite like that but it's hard to change the perceptions held by Mr and Mrs Average Australian car buyer.

And considering the Territory is up for a major front and rear sheetmetal change, as well as interior change and addition of FG motors etc, I would image that there will need to be mules out on the road sooner or later.
Old 02-05-2009, 12:00 PM   #23
imugli
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm possibly (probably) ignorant here, but would I be far wrong in saying that they won't need too many new territory mules because it's mainly a sheetmetal update so they can do cooling / airflow projection / modelling / analysis on computer and they've had diesels running around for ages, so most NVH work has already been done with regards to those.

Unless there are suspension component or geometry changes that need to be sorted out "real life" why do they need to build a fleet of mules?

Or would they be more for panel fit / finish testing etc?
imugli is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2009, 12:22 PM   #24
Mr_4.0
What Wheelspin?

may i simply raise a point?

if we have diesel teritory, thats a lot of I6 motors not being built at engine plant or even australia, which they have kept open longer than originally planeed. we would not biuld diesal ourselfs so X amount of motors being built overseas would would put our own guys out of work. hence no diesel falcon either.

yes there are mules getting around. test track mainly. some in geelong.

2003 BA Xr6 Turbo (Atomic Long, DTM auto, Nizpro stage2 kit, eaton truetrac, E85, HeadsexTuned)
Old 02-05-2009, 12:26 PM   #25
Mr_4.0
What Wheelspin?

dont hold your breath for a gas terry. unless we get injected gas. then MAYBE

but there is some MAJOR and AGRESSIVE sheet metal changed for 2010.

Old 02-05-2009, 12:44 PM   #26
Chilliman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
What more info would you like that hasn't already been given? The I6 will soldier on, there's a Diesel Territory. Falcon's sheet-metal might undergo some changes. FPV won't have a supercharged V8, it's purely NA with about the same power as they have now. XR8 will get the 270kW V8 version, although not as powerful it will be as quick as, if not quicker, than current XR8, and handle a whole lot better.

To drop 20Kw (and a heap of torque presumably) and maintain performance the new 5.0 would have to be significantly lighter - in the order of 100kg less! I hope that is what you are telling us?

"Torque is the new horsepower"
Chilliman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2009, 01:03 PM   #27
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

The Coyote has an alloy engine block, and this is the engine that is rumoured to get the gong for the XR8 and FPV's, so yes.
Old 02-05-2009, 01:05 PM   #28
R-Design
Guess Who's Back?

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR-CHIEF
Falc'man said same power, not same performance, just like he said the xr8 will have the 270kw version, 20kws down on the current engine but will be just as quick if not quicker. So the new V8 with about the same power will be much quicker
Fair point XR chief, but I can't imagine a new range of FPV V8's running around with the same old BOSS315 stickers impressing anyone. BOSS351 on the otherhand...

Think it's time they took the game to the General. They need a similar power spike they achieved from T3 to BA GT if they want to shift some product in this market (of course with improved fuel economy, blah, blah).
Old 02-05-2009, 03:11 PM   #29
XR6_190
BF XR6, oh yeah!!

I highly doubt that Ford will go down the sole engine route for the Terriotory, Marin Burela was quoted recently saying that the Territory's main competitors sell 50/50 petrol and diesel, That says to me that they want a piece of that pie, dropping the petrol engine would nullify the purpose of introducing a diesel, that purpose being that they think they can dramatically increase Territory sales with a diesel in the lineup.
Old 02-05-2009, 03:50 PM   #30
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

[QUOTE=Boss315]
Quote:
FPV won't have a supercharged V8, it's purely NA with about the same power as they have now.

I know, it's a real shame that this bloke keeps promising lots but in the end not much is delivered. There will be no forced inducted FPVs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paxton
Youssef - before the I6 was killed, we had Huntsman. With the V6, we had 123. The insiders haven't exactly been forthcoming with the new code name, so I can't help out there.

The current mail on Territory, is that, once the Diesel Territroy arrives, Territory will be Diesel only, as there are too many added complexities in having two engines in Teeritory. Not the best news.
Thanks for clearing that up, Andrew. My apologies to Road_Warrior.

It will be a shame really, alot of the SUVs that offer diesel also have petrol as an option. Will having diesel as the only option cause a media frenzy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilliman
To drop 20Kw (and a heap of torque presumably) and maintain performance the new 5.0 would have to be significantly lighter - in the order of 100kg less! I hope that is what you are telling us?
As Road_Warrior said, yes, it's much lighter. In fact, it's lighter than the old alloy 4.6 Modular.