Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 28-08-2009, 01:52 AM   #1
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 
Default Changes the Victorian driving laws.

Just so Victorian drivers know the new rules.

http://www.theage.com.au/national/ne...0827-f16k.html

Quote:
New laws to crack down on distracted drivers
Clay Lucas and Barry Park
August 28, 2009

WHEN your parking meter runs out, do you like to grab the space next to it if it's free?

When you drive, do you sometimes talk on your mobile phone with it sitting in your lap and switched to loudspeaker?

Or does your dog occasionally sit on your lap while you drive?

All this, and much more, will become illegal under new road laws to be introduced in November.

Under the laws, announced by Roads Minister Tim Pallas yesterday, drivers will for the first time be fined $234 and lose three demerit points if any of their passengers are not wearing a seatbelt.

The current seatbelt laws specify that drivers are liable for penalties only if passengers not wearing a seatbelt are aged under 16.

The laws also make it compulsory for children to be in a child restraint until age seven. Infants must be in a capsule until six months of age.

And laws governing mobile phone use while driving - responsible for many serious accidents and deaths each year - will be tightened dramatically.

A driver is four times more likely to crash while using a mobile phone. Already, more than 40,000 drivers a year are fined for using a mobile phone, ranking it among the state's top three driving offences.

Under the changes, mobile phone use while driving will only be permitted if the phone is in a commercially designed holder and the driver does not need to touch any part of the phone to receive a call (by using bluetooth or a similar technology).

Even holding a mobile phone - whether or not engaged in a phone call - will now be prohibited. Holding a phone, the new laws specify, include a driver resting it on their lap.

Drivers who flout the mobile phone laws will also risk a $234 fine and three demerit points.

Other changes to the road safety laws are designed to minimise driver distractions, such as from portable music players and satellite navigation systems.

And drivers must show even more care when passing a tram: currently, road rules state only that a car must not pass the rear of a tram if a pedestrian is crossing.

Now, if a tram is stopped at a tram stop, a car must stop too - regardless of whether they can see a person crossing the road to get on or off the tram.

Parking laws have also been reviewed, in a move that will please councils reliant on revenue from fines.

A driver who moves their car to another parking spot must now move it off the length of road, or out of the area to which a parking sign applies.

This means a motorist who moves their car to an adjacent parking spot once their time has run out would be liable for a fine.

For skateboarders or those who ride a foot-propelled scooter, there are changes too.

Skateboards must not be used on roads at night - VicRoads says this is dangerous because skaters are so difficult to see - and wearing a helmet will now be compulsory for scooter riders.

Motorcyclists will also have to contend with new laws that raise the minimum age of a passenger to eight.

And motorbike riders will no longer be allowed to have an animal sitting on the fuel tank.

One exception to this, said VicRoads director of road user safety David Shelton, was if a motorcyclist had a legitimate use for the animal, such as a dog on a farm. However, no such exceptions will apply to a car driver who allows a dog between them and the steering wheel.

''Those days will be well and truly over,'' Mr Shelton said.

The RACV's chief engineer, Peter Daly, said the improvements to road rules were crucial to stop deaths and serious injuries on the roads.

"The issue at the core of these changes is driver distraction and it must be addressed if we are to reduce crashes on our roads,'' he said.

The new laws will come into force on November 9.
Old 28-08-2009, 03:38 AM   #2
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Are you allowed to breathe while you drive? Or is this kind of multi-tasking too dangerous?
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2009, 04:23 AM   #3
73XBGT

They have to catch me doing any of those things first! :

The Daily: 2003 FPV BA GT-P mk1 (Build #410) silhouette black, leather/suede, auto 4 speed, SCT X4 flash tuned, BluePower racing developments cold air intake, Headers>high flow cats>HiTech “bionic” dual 2.5” stainless system catback
73XBGT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2009, 05:05 AM   #4
ILLaViTaR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Man any driving law and more so these makes no sense when applied to how things actually work in the real world.

I cbf elaborating but if someone finds it necessary then I will.
Old 28-08-2009, 07:38 AM   #5
WOTDAH
Yes YOU

Looking at my speedo every 5 seconds is kind of a distracion.
WOTDAH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2009, 09:43 AM   #6
Teflon Turbo
Banned

they can have public executions, beheading, stoning for breaking road rules and it wouldn't phase me one little tiny bit.

me personally, i just don't mess with road rules in this day and age, with technology, hoonlines and the like, it's just not worth it.

besides, i have to set an example for my kids especially my son (15), otherwise they are gonna end up mince meat on our roads.

times change, rules change we need to change.
Teflon Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2009, 09:48 AM   #7
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teflon Turbo
they can have public executions, beheading, stoning for breaking road rules and it wouldn't phase me one little tiny bit.

me personally, i just don't mess with road rules in this day and age, with technology, hoonlines and the like, it's just not worth it.

besides, i have to set an example for my kids especially my son (15), otherwise they are gonna end up mince meat on our roads.

times change, rules change we need to change.
Fair enough but there is a limit to how far they can nanny people before the people turn around and say 'enough'.

What's next, no listening to music or talking whilst driving?
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2009, 10:00 AM   #8
ltd_on20s
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG
Fair enough but there is a limit to how far they can nanny people before the people turn around and say 'enough'.

no talking or looking in your mirrors.
ltd_on20s is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2009, 10:12 AM   #9
Cobra
Bear with a sore head

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG

What about no sneezing? Driving whilst suffering from hayfever can be pretty dangerous.
Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2009, 10:14 AM   #10
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra
What about no sneezing? Driving whilst suffering from hayfever can be pretty dangerous.
Probably more dangerous than having a mobile phone sitting on your lap...

How about iPhone's? do they count? Are people allowed to change songs?
Old 28-08-2009, 10:26 AM   #11
POELWYK
Lost Boost Gained Class

this is just to make more $$$ thats all
Old 28-08-2009, 10:31 AM   #12
Wally
XP Coupe

Will truckies, cabbies and coppers be able to use their CBs?
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2009, 10:36 AM   #13
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally
Yep, no problem with that.

The VIC rules are largely more recent ARR reform package amendments, meaning much here is nationwide.

Your jurisdiction then charges what it will for each 'offence'.
ORDER FORD AUSTRALIA PART NO: AM6U7J19G329AA. This is a European-UN/AS3790B Spec safety-warning triangle used to give advanced warning to approaching traffic of a vehicle breakdown, or crash scene (to prevent secondary). Stow in the boot area. See your Ford dealer for this $35.95 safety item & when you buy a new Ford, please insist on it! See Page 83, part 4.4.1 http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...eSafePart4.pdf
Keepleft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2009, 10:37 AM   #14
Cobra
Bear with a sore head

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG
Probably more dangerous than having a mobile phone sitting on your lap...

How about iPhone's? do they count? Are people allowed to change songs?
My guess is that would come down to the individiual officers discretion. I would say that the operative word used is phone, then they would argue on the grounds that it's a phone, even if it was not being used for the purpose in which a phone was intended. As dumb as it sounds, I would say that if you are using an Ipod on the other hand, which is purely an MP3 player and not a phone, then by the letter of the law you should get off...
Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2009, 10:40 AM   #15
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra
My guess is that would come down to the individiual officers discretion. I would say that the operative word used is phone, then they would argue on the grounds that it's a phone, even if it was not being used for the purpose in which a phone was intended. As dumb as it sounds, I would say that if you are using an Ipod on the other hand, which is purely an MP3 player and not a phone, then by the letter of the law you should get off...
So many grey areas! lol
Old 28-08-2009, 10:42 AM   #16
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

However all this time spent not doing "dangerous" things can be spent thinking about who you are going to replace these idiots with at the next election.......
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2009, 10:53 AM   #17
Powdered Toast Man
Professional Mouse Jockey

I already thought most of these were laws anyway. I talk on my phone with it in my lap or holding it in my hand while using the loudspeaker and I actually thought it was illegal. I refuse to blemish my dash by sticking a phone holder on it.

Things like having a pet on your lap while driving is down right dangerous anyway!!

But when will changing CDs or even just the radio station on your car radio become illegal at this rate.... That's a distraction. They can go a bit over the top sometimes.

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana. Groucho Marx
Powdered Toast Man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2009, 10:57 AM   #18
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

some of those laws arent too bad actually - the parking one's a bit dodgy. Rangers gonna get a nice boost in their quota!
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2009, 10:59 AM   #19
platinumXR
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powdered Toast Man
I already thought most of these were laws anyway. I talk on my phone with it in my lap or holding it in my hand while using the loudspeaker and I actually thought it was illegal.
If you are not touching it, it is hands free...loudspeaker or not.

Although Blue Ant and many others sell Bluetooth accessories for much less than the cost of a Drive Using Hand Held Mobile Phone ticket...

Toys:
2017.5 LZ Focus RS, Magnetic Grey my new pocket rocket
2008 BF2 RTV Ute
1993 EB2 S-XR8 Sedan, Platinum, manual (now sold)
1975 XB Fairmont GS Sedan, Tropic Gold...or Starlight Blue...not sure yet...(SOLD)
platinumXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2009, 11:01 AM   #20
MAD
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Other changes to the road safety laws are designed to minimise driver distractions, such as from portable music players and satellite navigation systems.
Looks like mp3 players don't get left out.
I wonder what changes there are for these two devices.
Old 28-08-2009, 11:12 AM   #21
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Parking laws have also been reviewed, in a move that will please councils reliant on revenue from fines.

A driver who moves their car to another parking spot must now move it off the length of road, or out of the area to which a parking sign applies.

This means a motorist who moves their car to an adjacent parking spot once their time has run out would be liable for a fine.

Now this one is just stupid! If a car is moved to another car parking spot, obviously spaces are available for everyone to use. How many fatalities will this prevent? Councils will love it!

| [/url] |

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2009, 11:25 AM   #22
platinumXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by auslandau
Now this one is just stupid! If a car is moved to another car parking spot, obviously spaces are available for everyone to use. How many fatalities will this prevent? Councils will love it!
Yeah, I have to say this one is goofy.

I see that they enforce this stuff so that everyone can have a fair crack at a parking space...but yes this one is overboard.

Toys:
2008 BF2 RTV Ute
1975 XB Fairmont GS Sedan, Tropic Gold...or Starlight Blue...not sure yet...(SOLD)
Old 28-08-2009, 11:31 AM   #23
EFPWR
B-Series Powered!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally
Nah, we will prolly get forced into pulling over just to press accept job on our cab dispatchers cause it's a distraction. :P

I agree with some of these (moreso the phone one) but think the parking one is a joke. Too bad if you work near to where you park.. then what? You have to walk 2km just so you can park legally? :
Old 28-08-2009, 11:31 AM   #24
MAD
Petro-sexual

Obviously another ploy to try and reduce the amount of people driving into the city.
I'm glad I completed my studies in Carlton before this came in. It would've cost me a fortune otherwise. Everyone knew it was first in best dressed, and then came the lunchtime swap... like clockwork.
Not only will the local councils love it, Wilson parking will love it too.
Old 28-08-2009, 11:41 AM   #25
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

That isn't all of the changes.

There are also amendments to the rules governing Centre Dividing lines; Cyclists and Motorcyclists.

These can all be found in our Tech Section

1. It would appear that despite the media article there is nothing specific in the fact sheets about MP3 players but then given the rather dated image they used for a mobile phone perhaps they don't know they can be used in cars yet?

2, I'd presume the requirement for a mobile phone holder is an either or situation as bluetooth hands free can obviously have the phone sited anywhere within range - pocket, console, glovebox - even boot for that matter.

3. I'm particularly interested in this little snippet:

A driver must not drive a vehicle that has a television receiver or a
visual display unit operating if any part of the screen is visible to the
driver or is likely to distract another driver.

Having been distracted by headrest mounted DVD screens at night on the open road you could possibly mount a case that they were distracting to other drivers.

4. The changes with regard to cyclists now will see the introduction (I presume not having seen any yet) of bicycle boxes - apparently these aren't like cricket boxes but are a divided section of the road at an intersection where the lycra clad little dears can gather in a group in front of the traffic to ensure that they block smooth traffic flow on the way to their next reserved piece of road on the other side of the intersection.
One would hope that they don't do this on broad intersections (like St Georges Rd / Bell St) because by the time they got across the lights would have changed.

5. This little gem looks like the end of certain in vehicle recreational activities:

A driver must not have another person or animal on their lap.

6. The moving within a parking zone to another empty spot is clearly a LGA money grab given that it hardly meets the defined criteria for these rule changes:

These changes will help to meet targets set as part of the Victorian
Government’s road safety strategy arrive alive 2008-2017, which aims
to reduce the road toll by a further 30 per cent by 2017.

... unless of course we've had fatalities caused by fighting over a parking spot - although even if we did they would likely be not classified as road related deaths for statistical purposes.

Cheers
Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

Last edited by russellw; 28-08-2009 at 12:43 PM.
russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2009, 12:05 PM   #26
Dezza
Parts bin special

While I agree with the pets between the driver and steering wheel rule, the rest is crap. So basically everytime someone rings me while driving (which happens all the time), I'll have to pull over to take the call, even if I'm on a freeway. There's no way in hell I'm going to fit one of those ugly mobile phone carriers so that's basically my only option now.

Daily 2014 SZII Territory diesel - basic runabout

Previous Cars 1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - Tickford engine, 5 speed, SVO wheels, bodykit, much more
2000 AUII Fairmont - XR wheels, Ghia interior
2010 FG XR50T ute - XR8 bonnet, Streetfighter intake
Dezza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2009, 12:07 PM   #27
platinumXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezza!
so that's basically my only option now.
Does your phone not have Bluetooth?

Toys:
2008 BF2 RTV Ute
Old 28-08-2009, 12:10 PM   #28
Dezza
Parts bin special

Actually forgot about that

Daily 2014 SZII Territory diesel - basic runabout

Previous Cars 1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - Tickford engine, 5 speed, SVO wheels, bodykit, much more
2000 AUII Fairmont - XR wheels, Ghia interior
2010 FG XR50T ute - XR8 bonnet, Streetfighter intake
Dezza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2009, 12:14 PM   #29
MAD
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by platinumXR
Does your phone not have Bluetooth?
Or a headset with call answer button?
Old 28-08-2009, 12:40 PM   #30
Gabbs
Curry in a hurry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezza!
While I agree with the pets between the driver and steering wheel rule, the rest is crap. So basically everytime someone rings me while driving (which happens all the time), I'll have to pull over to take the call, even if I'm on a freeway. There's no way in hell I'm going to fit one of those ugly mobile phone carriers so that's basically my only option now.
I've had to slam my brakes on the freeway after looking at a plastic bag fly up and get stuck on my side mirror for one second. If you can grab your phone answer it then put it on speaker phone all without looking away from the road you must be some god. My navman connects to my phone and if someone does ring I'll answer it otherwise guess what it goes to message bank and I check it later.
Seat belt laws are not tough enough to be honest. Over here it is a minimum of 500 bucks and really how hard is it to put on a seat belt.
Gabbs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post