Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 09-11-2009, 11:46 PM   #1
20focus05
I wanna XR5

Default Rear brake pad wear

Hi all

Just wondering
Have any of you had the rear pads wearing out faster than the fronts?
I am on my 3rd set for the rear. first change was about 40 next was about 90 and recently at 130ish.
The fronts I changed at 98.

Something else I tested a few weeks ago and it has been on my mind for a long time. I tested to see if the brakes where rear bias, Guess what they are and have had this feeling for along time.

on the way to the farm (dirt road) i jumped on the brakes and the rears lock up. I have serviced the rear brakes recently so should be working well.

Any thoughts?

Ex Ford owner and member of this great site for ages.

South Australia, where the RIGHT hand lane is the NEW LEFT lane??????!!! %&#@*
20focus05 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-11-2009, 07:49 PM   #2
819_FLY

With the testing on a dirt road, most cars have the rear brakes lock up due to the transfer of weight to the front of the vehicle (Inertia) giving the rear wheels to lock up and skid.

As for the front, perhaps they need bleeding in the front circuit, also I am unsure wether Focus' use a drum-handbrake setup or use the caliper to grip the disc (I am asuming the former).

But fronts wearing out slower then the rears does seem a bit odd, but maybe the rear pads are too soft and you are just chewing through them more faster.

Just a thought.

Check out 819FLY!!
819_FLY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2009, 02:44 PM   #3
20focus05
I wanna XR5

When I have pushed it on sealed road have felt that the rear feels a bit wandery (under hard braking)

The test I did was with the speed under 30km/h and lightish braking so weight shift should not come into it.

Rears are caliper hand brake

I have lived on dirt roads for along time, this is the only passanger car that i have driven to do this. I have pushed very hard on dirt roads in other cars!
Usually commercials lock up in the rear end first.

Ex Ford owner and member of this great site for ages.

South Australia, where the RIGHT hand lane is the NEW LEFT lane??????!!! %&#@*
20focus05 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post