Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 25-11-2009, 12:01 PM   #1
Erich

Default Rear Wheel Alignment - AU Sedan

Guys

For a std AU S3 Sedan, can these things have a "4 wheel alignment"? The tyre place advised yes - Im not sure

What do I look for?

cheers

Erich is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2009, 12:21 PM   #2
T3man
Banned

Do you have IRS? If not the tyre place is having a lend of your wallet. Close your wallet quickly and walk out the door.
T3man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2009, 12:59 PM   #3
Erich

Cheers - I dont believe I have
Old 25-11-2009, 03:03 PM   #4
Erich

I will wait till I get there, check under the rear and see if I can see 1/2 shafts instead of a std diff. Then go in and see what happens ;)

Im unaware of anyway to align the rear of a vehicle with a live axle
Old 25-11-2009, 07:40 PM   #5
kratas
Goes like an AU

I have IRS, and when I took it down to the tyre place to have new shoes put on the front, I too was told that the rear wheel alignment was out. The blokes are good, I have been there a few times. He said purely that I might want to spend $30 bucks now and have a rear wheel alignment done, so I dont come back in 10,000ks and ask why my rear tyres are chewed up. He also stated that, specifically that some AU's (I have a S1 Fairmont Ghia, with IRS) came with rear wheel alignment. Seemed legit to me.
1998 Series 1 AU fairmont GHIA:King Springs lowered - Tickford VCT six - Recod transmission - full TS50 body kit - 17'' BA rims - 25% tint - full leather - Exhaust system Soon to be: Extracted (pacey comps) - Flash Tuned - Dyno
kratas is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2009, 08:05 PM   #6
frd906
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yes they do a 4 wheel alingment both my front and back are spot on

Posted by Xcabbi, Does it slap or rattle? Rattle is more to do with timing chains and tensioners. Slap is more to do with lifters, rings, bearings or GENIII boat anchors
frd906 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2009, 08:07 PM   #7
frd906
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

its mainly the front wheel alingment they worry about, but they do the 4 wheels just incase

Posted by Xcabbi, Does it slap or rattle? Rattle is more to do with timing chains and tensioners. Slap is more to do with lifters, rings, bearings or GENIII boat anchors
frd906 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2009, 09:01 PM   #8
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

i believe what some places call a 4-wheel alignment for live rear axle cars is basically a 'thrust' adjustment - ie ensuring that the front wheels are square with the rears. So they do no adjusting to the rear end of the car, they just take the rear direction of thrust into account. Or at least that's what i've been told anyway.
Old 25-11-2009, 09:07 PM   #9
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Thats how I understand it also.

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2009, 09:39 PM   #10
T3man
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware
i believe what some places call a 4-wheel alignment for live rear axle cars is basically a 'thrust' adjustment - ie ensuring that the front wheels are square with the rears. So they do no adjusting to the rear end of the car, they just take the rear direction of thrust into account. Or at least that's what i've been told anyway.
For the last four decades wheel alignments have been done this way - not exactly rocket science and definitely not a "four-wheel alignment" in the true sense.
T3man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2009, 09:46 PM   #11
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

Agreed.
Old 25-11-2009, 11:11 PM   #12
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Firstly, check if you have a watts linkage set up from the diff. That is a bolt sticking out of the diff backing plate. If it hasn't, it is rear adjust.

The reason behind doing all 4 wheels, if it is adjustable, is so the suspension is square. If it's offset, there is a big chance the car will steer from the rear. In other words, drift off, one way or the next.
svo supporter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2009, 03:21 AM   #13
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i have had 2 alignments with my irs equiped xr6, the first time i had front and back done, the last time i had a set of tyres put on i had the front done only as a precaution, but both front and back tyres where wearing good anyway, these things are getting a bit long in the tooth, if it had irs and never had an alignment i would be getting it done , it cost`s bugger all anyway.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2009, 09:41 AM   #14
Erich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware
Thanks guys - correct Mr Hardware (above)

They can only do a "true" 4 wheel align on a car with IRS, a thrust align was done for the normal price ;)

With the new Yoko's on her now, she is smooth as :
Old 26-11-2009, 07:24 PM   #15
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

The way alignments are done these days especially with pricing is, it costs a a certain amount for the front to be done. When it comes to having the rear done, they put a small amount on top to do it.

My work place, you'll pay an extra $8 to have the rear done. So for the sake of $8, you'll know the rear is going to be spot on and one less thing to cause the car to drift off in one direction.

The thrust side of things, when it comes to having the 4 heads on, is to make sure the steering wheel comes out straight, once the adjustment is completed, regardless of whether you have 2 of the 4 wheels adjusted. What I'm saying there is, if you have IRS and only have the front adjusted, the steering wheel should come out straight. But it doesn't mean the car will track straight.
svo supporter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post