Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 13-01-2010, 04:27 PM   #1
CliffM
XR6 Tragic

Default Cracked Firewall where clutch cable enters.

Has anyone experienced this particular problem? Apparently the cable tears a whole in the firewall of the AU. I talked to my mechanic today and he says anything up to a full day...

In particular I'm looking at an aftermarket replacement footbox as an option. I figure if I'm paying for a full days labour then I may as well do the job right.

CliffM is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2010, 04:43 PM   #2
XC_Lizzard

Its not an uncommon problem in cars with cable operated clutches, particularly if the clutch has got bit bit stiff at any time and extra effort been used to operate the pedal.

I've personally seen it (or where its been repaired/reinforced) in a JB Camira, TD Cortinas, an XF Falcon, an EF Falcon, and a Laser.

The fix is just to add some reinforcement/bracing around where the clutch cable goes through the firewall to spread the load. The time consuming part is getting reasonable access to that area of the firewall.
XC_Lizzard is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2010, 04:45 PM   #3
ratman
krunch krunch hsv 4 lunch

Common problem back to the X series mate. Every E series I've had has done the same. Make sure whoever does the repair welds in an extra reinforcement plate over the cracked location to brace up the firewall so u don't have the problem again - its easier (and cheaper) to change cales down the track than go thru this process for a 2nd time. Do a search as it has been covered on here many time before.
ratman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2010, 04:51 PM   #4
tex
Broken

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: With the exception of maybe HSE2, nobody writes a review like Texy. 

The clutch pedal in my EF snapped off at the hinge on the firewall. The hinge didn't fail, the firewall just broke away....

It's not a small job, part of the dash had to come out of it to be welded into place

11.4 @ 128, 1.88 60ft.
tex is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2010, 05:04 PM   #5
XC_Lizzard

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex
The clutch pedal in my EF snapped off at the hinge on the firewall. The hinge didn't fail, the firewall just broke away....

It's not a small job, part of the dash had to come out of it to be welded into place

Thats strange, the clutch pedal on my EF is pivoted on the pedal box, not the firewall.

Breaking the pivot on the pedal box is a different problem from tearing the firewall where the cable goes through. While I have never removed the pedal box from an EF, I wouldn't have thought that you would need to remove any of the dash to remove the pedal box.
XC_Lizzard is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2010, 06:13 PM   #6
CliffM
XR6 Tragic

This depends on how the break has progressed. It's not that easy to repair if there is a large break. This is what my mechanic said, once the brakes are removed you can get access to the damge. Sometimes you can fix it, other times you have to remove the pedals... this is why it can take all day.
Old 13-01-2010, 08:46 PM   #7
rob_liss_lms10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It is a common prob, do a search and you will find heaps of answers to the same prob.. for example http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...acked+firewall
Old 14-01-2010, 07:22 PM   #8
CliffM
XR6 Tragic

well I fixed this problem today for nothing but a bit of time.

I removed the clutch pedal, disconnected the cable, slid it into the engine bay.

I gently hammered the cracked firewall back into place with no problem.

I had an old Jack laying around so I removed the pressed steel plate foot, drilled and elongated a hole to run the cable through. I put one screw in it and used it against the firewall.

Works wonders, best the clutch has ever been....
Old 30-01-2010, 02:55 PM   #9
CARLO5

yeah bro happened to me had to drive home thru peak hour traffic in sydney with no f@cking clutch! lol. had to get the firewall welded up at the panel beaters. was a bloody nightmare
CARLO5 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2010, 03:05 PM   #10
ebxr82nv
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It happened in my au, tore out a 50c piece size of firewall. Took me about a day to fix. 2 pieces of 3mm plate shaped and welded together covering as big an area as posible, went to ford and got the 'official' repair piece(yes they have them, but only listed for one of the x series cars) welded that on also then drilled some holes and bolted it to the firewall.

the only problem with just plating the wall and drilling a hole in it is the cable doesnt run at the right angle.
97 el futura MOCKed up with a 2500 stall, heaps of fun!
ebxr82nv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2010, 03:36 PM   #11
CliffM
XR6 Tragic

I elongated the hole so the cable finds it's own angle, the original tube is back in place and seems ok.
Old 19-04-2014, 10:27 PM   #12
fordfreak

Default Re: Cracked Firewall where clutch cable enters.

does anyone have a pic of a cracked firewall in an AU?
fordfreak is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post