Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 10-02-2010, 08:59 PM   #1
tankclare
BURN RUBBER NOT OIL

Default Rules regarding summernats cruise cars?

I have been toying with the idea of turning a vb commodore wagon into a custom summernats cruise car. Im talking cut off roof, short windscreen, custom rear seats etc. Now before I go out and hack up an old wagon and start playing. What are the rules regarding these sort of cars. Do they need permits or anything like that? It would be near impossible to register these sort of cars. I heard a while ago they just need to have lights and brakes but I know there would be more to it. Does anyone know anything?

[SMOKES] FG XR6 build thread - http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?p=4795218#post4795218

tankclare is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2010, 09:24 PM   #2
LTDHO
The one and only

You used to be able to buy 'temp rego' when you get there to drive in the cruise, well this was many years ago.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2010, 09:40 PM   #3
4117kev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I saw footage of the guy that owns my old race car driving around, 14"slicks 800hp plus on methanol and parachute.

So you should be good.lol
4117kev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2010, 10:14 PM   #4
tankclare
BURN RUBBER NOT OIL

As long as it can stop and have lights etc and be strong as in wont collapse i cant see why it can't lap around..
I can get my hands on a reasonably straight old vb wagon and my idea is to cut the roof off it only leaving a shortened windscreen and weld up the rear doors and tailgate. then have the 2 front seats and a U shape seat built in the back. At the back would have a hole or entrance cut into the welded up tailgate so people can easily get in. Maybe also throw in a stripper pole for laughs and people to hang onto. Also maybe 2 inch piping around the top of the rear seat for a bit of a back rest and to hold on to..
Hard to explain but dodged up a pic (without tubing around rear seat)

[SMOKES] FG XR6 build thread - http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?p=4795218#post4795218

Old 10-02-2010, 10:24 PM   #5
04redxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Like the stripper pole, nice touch.

Never entered a car, but sure you would have to really only summernats scrutineering.

If you go to http://www.summernats.com.au You should be able to get a phone number, and some of your questions answered correctly.
04redxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2010, 11:02 PM   #6
tankclare
BURN RUBBER NOT OIL

Had a quick read on the site and it appears you can buy a permit just for driving around the EPIC arena. Cost $75 for the permit..I'll have to give them a call later on about it. Hoping thats all I need, to rock up and have them check over the car then give me the permit and not engineers certificates or pinkslips lol

Old 11-02-2010, 09:22 AM   #7
Raptor
^^^^^^^^
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For quietly going about moderating in a fair and even manner. 

If they allow tanks and boats as cruise cars I don't think you'll have to much trouble with an actual car
Old 11-02-2010, 09:43 AM   #8
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

$75 just to drive it back and forth all day!
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2010, 10:04 AM   #9
xbcool
dazed&confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fev
$75 just to drive it back and forth all day!
$75 is for the entire show, most of the blown cars have permits to cruise unless they can produce engineers papers.

beauty is only skin deep.
ugly goes all the way to the bone.
xbcool is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2010, 02:12 PM   #10
tankclare
BURN RUBBER NOT OIL

so if i was to build the car and trailer it down would they check it all out there and give me the permit?

Old 11-02-2010, 06:17 PM   #11
04redxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I am assuming so. They don't care about mods, just safety.
04redxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2010, 06:59 PM   #12
xbcool
dazed&confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by tankclare
so if i was to build the car and trailer it down would they check it all out there and give me the permit?

don't quote me on it, ring the nats.
but I think all they are looking for is general saftey ,( blinkers ,horn,lights) as long as the car is in pretty good nick( not a rusty shitter) you should be right.

just make sure the chicks on the strippers pole are of high quality : :

steve

beauty is only skin deep.
ugly goes all the way to the bone.
xbcool is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2010, 10:08 PM   #13
FPVF6X201
Formerly FPVwannabe

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Slotted front rotors for the TTG write-up and pics. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tankclare
As long as it can stop and have lights etc and be strong as in wont collapse i cant see why it can't lap around..
I can get my hands on a reasonably straight old vb wagon and my idea is to cut the roof off it only leaving a shortened windscreen and weld up the rear doors and tailgate. then have the 2 front seats and a U shape seat built in the back. At the back would have a hole or entrance cut into the welded up tailgate so people can easily get in. Maybe also throw in a stripper pole for laughs and people to hang onto. Also maybe 2 inch piping around the top of the rear seat for a bit of a back rest and to hold on to..
Hard to explain but dodged up a pic (without tubing around rear seat)

I know your using a wagon in this case, but today i saw a VK sedan with the roof cutoff. Number plate said "4BROCK" (was in the Brock Blue colour).

Borla ATAK axle back exhaust.
Hawk ceramic brake pads.
CLStech Ribbon DRL mod.
X Lume illuminated grille badge.
Injen CAI.
FPVF6X201 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2010, 10:18 PM   #14
kinksta
Luxojet

there was a kenworth ute thingy a few years ago with a stripper pole! anyone remember that beast? not on the pole, the actual truck ;)
kinksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2010, 06:01 PM   #15
whiteELXR6

Yer I don't think you will have too much trouble with that idea TANKCLARE. I have seen simliar things done a few times now. Summernats just gone we were cruisin in a gemini with a 400 blown methanol injected chev in it so I don't think you will too much trouble. Only drama we had was not having a 360 tailshaft loop and they didn't like us cruisin on stockies (doesn't have wheels that fit with the 9inch). As long as headlights, indicators, brake lights all that gear works you'll be fine.
2007 Kenworth T401 Tipper-the road builder
whiteELXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2010, 11:00 PM   #16
tankclare
BURN RUBBER NOT OIL

Rightyo cool sounds like it is a go ahead. Talking to my mate with the wagon this arvo and am getting it for $200..Also i stated it was a vb when it is actually a vc wagon..pretty much the same. As soon as the weather settles down and i can get the old girl going i will bring it back to town and start work.. I'll make up a thread in the project section if people like. I got the plans in my head now to make them a reality