Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 23-02-2010, 07:53 PM   #1
bafel

Default Vic Govt to introduce 'Noise Cameras'

Looks like our goverments are at it again

Link to story

Trucks to be pinged making sound in excess of 80db, cars 74db.

Offenders will have an opportunity to 'fix' their vehicles before being fined.

But this isn't a new revenue raising scheme (scam) minister Pallas assures us.

yeah right.

bafel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2010, 08:08 PM   #2
Airmon
King of the Fairy's.

There is on in NSW on Mt Ousley, it was there for a trial period and hasn't left since. Has probably been there at least 6 months probably more.
Pings trucks for using their air brakes near residential areas. Seems like a smart idea, but on a road where there have already been numerous cases of trucks not using the proper brakes and crashing into things at the bottom of the Mountain, it looks more like a revenue raiser.
Airmon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2010, 08:08 PM   #3
gthofan
Gunna girlie-man

My thoughts are, its their choice to live near a main road, Just like residents near Sandown, How many trucks are going to have accidents if they cant use their engine brakes, I remember a "gotcha" call on the radio a little while ago, They called a driver and complaining about the use of engine brakes. It got a fir bit heated too.

<INSERT WITTY SIGNATURE HERE>

Daily- 05' BA futura... work done.
Cruiser- 85' VK berlina... more work done
gthofan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2010, 08:21 PM   #4
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

How on earth can these things be accurate? Get over it, governmental peoples, not everything can be controlled.
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2010, 08:22 PM   #5
fangq

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthofan
My thoughts are, its their choice to live near a main road, Just like residents near Sandown, How many trucks are going to have accidents if they cant use their engine brakes, I remember a "gotcha" call on the radio a little while ago, They called a driver and complaining about the use of engine brakes. It got a fir bit heated too.
Wait until they tack on ( insert burn out sounds etc ) onto the technology, and move those around at will..Surprised they haven't done that already

Steve
fangq is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2010, 08:24 PM   #6
AMCE
Muscle Car Experience

Vic - The Police State
AMCE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2010, 10:32 PM   #7
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

I hate living in Victoria sometimes... guess i'll just have to idle around till i get back into rural areas again.
FPV8U is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2010, 11:33 AM   #8
ltd_on20s
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

lol will it go off if someone drives past it with a mega stereo?
ltd_on20s is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2010, 11:36 AM   #9
XWGT
Powered by Marshall

So will they be sending infringement notices to Harley's?
Old 24-02-2010, 01:37 PM   #10
gthofan
Gunna girlie-man

If there are 2 trucks, how is it going to differentiate between? I can see this being a major flop, and thousands of people getting incorrect letters in the mailbox

<INSERT WITTY SIGNATURE HERE>

Daily- 05' BA futura... work done.
Cruiser- 85' VK berlina... more work done
gthofan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2010, 02:38 PM   #11
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by XWGT
So will they be sending infringement notices to Harley's?
I think the laws for harleys is some ridiculous like 90+dB?

1994 ED XR6T - Cobalt Blue.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Keep your stinking family to yourself god damn it.
XR6_661 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2010, 03:00 PM   #12
J.C.
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Government revenue raisers are getting out of hand. What can we do about it? Not sure ............... nothing comes to mind. I do wonder when the "controlling" is going to stop though.
J.C. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2010, 03:01 PM   #13
ROLLI
KEEPUP

Imagine after allford day in Geelong! There will be a few letters sent out....
Old 24-02-2010, 05:22 PM   #14
SB076
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild High
Vic - The Police State
Interesting the government keeps looking at ways to penalise motorists yet crimes like stabbings and assaults increase each year and nothing gets done about that.

with Sunroof and tinted windows
with out all the go fast bits I actually need :
SB076 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2010, 06:10 PM   #15
g220ba
FGX XR8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SB076
Interesting the government keeps looking at ways to penalise motorists yet crimes like stabbings and assaults increase each year and nothing gets done about that.
As motorists we are seen as the easy targets, essentially we all need to drive and the government knows that. It's a way of the government being seen doing something for the benefit of the community when in reality nothing happens. This policy appears to be flawed from the begining.
g220ba is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2010, 06:17 PM   #16
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airmon
There is on in NSW on Mt Ousley, it was there for a trial period and hasn't left since. Has probably been there at least 6 months probably more.
Pings trucks for using their air brakes near residential areas. Seems like a smart idea, but on a road where there have already been numerous cases of trucks not using the proper brakes and crashing into things at the bottom of the Mountain, it looks more like a revenue raiser.
My thoughts as well - wasn't aware it was there for a trial period... the signs are still up as of a couple of weeks ago but has been there a lot longer than 6 months.

It's on the downhill section, discourages the use of braking in that section lest get hit with a fine and therefore increases the chance of a runaway truck. If you have a home near this stretch of road, you would have realised that it's a section of road filled with coal trucks 24/7 when you bought it. Buy earplugs.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2010, 06:26 PM   #17
XR_6falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84ltd
As motorists we are seen as the easy targets, essentially we all need to drive and the government knows that. It's a way of the government being seen doing something for the benefit of the community when in reality nothing happens. This policy appears to be flawed from the begining.

agreed, it is becoming a joke

Smoke tyres, not drugs
XR_6falcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2010, 07:28 PM   #18
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6_661
I think the laws for harleys is some ridiculous like 90+dB?
Whats with that anyway? We see cars get defects for being "too loud" at like 96dB, but Harleys are fine with their freakin' 20000000dB.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2010, 07:55 PM   #19
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthofan
"Thats right C*ck"..... i got that (unedited) recording on my laptop....it was in Tassie....bloody hilarious....he end's up laughing his socks of at the end tho....

Bloody Mexican Govt.... :

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2010, 03:01 PM   #20
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

In Europe if you don't have the correct sign on the front of your Truck (to say it's passed a 'quiet' test) you are not allowed to drive at night!

Anyone who uses the Jake/Engine/Compression brake in towns is only saying "Look at me and my big Truck, coz it's bigger than what I've got in my pants"!
Old 25-02-2010, 03:07 PM   #21
fat289
fat289

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
Whats with that anyway? We see cars get defects for being "too loud" at like 96dB, but Harleys are fine with their freakin' 20000000dB.

Dont be a sook !!!!!

XRGT
XP ute 351w Toploader
99 Springer softail
XW Fairmont 302w / c4 col shift 58,000 miles
fat289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2010, 05:01 PM   #22
Trek
Blue blooded

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
And this is something constantly thrown around.

I feel they should be treated the same way as car drivers. Others of course beg to differ. At the end of the day, they're motorists the same as us, with all other laws applicable, bar this kind of stupidity and nonsense. Another confirmation that there is no fairness in the law and that it should be more indescriminate.
Trek is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2010, 05:27 PM   #23
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

taken from the geelong news

Quote:
Cameras to snap noisy Geelong drivers

Aleks Devic

February 24th, 2010

New anti-noise cameras will be installed on the Geelong Ring Road at Waurn Ponds.

NOISE cameras will snap rogue truck drivers whose rigs are causing a headache for residents living along Geelong's ring road in a Victorian first.

In a bid to clamp down on excessive noise, the State Government yesterday announced truckies risk having their registrations suspended if caught on the hi-tech cameras being rolled out across Victoria.

Residents living along stage three of the ring road, between Corio and Waurn Ponds have vented their anger at the government for several months over unbearable noise levels and a petition, with more than 1000 signatures, demanding action has been tabled in parliament.

Excessively noisy trucks would trigger the camera to take a photo and record the noise level of the offending vehicle, the location and time of the event.

Roads Minister Tim Pallas said the mobile cameras, costing $15,000 each, could be moved around to different locations and other parts of Geelong would be targeted in coming months.

``This Government understands and values the importance of the freight industry, but it must work with the community and adhere to noise minimisation regulations,'' Mr Pallas said.

What are your thoughts on this story. Tell us using the feedback form below

``Heavy vehicles are generally fitted with good muffler systems that cause minimal noise when the engine brake is activated, but vehicle owners need to ensure their trucks are well maintained and that exhaust systems are not defective.

``Not all heavy vehicles emit excessive noise, but loud engine brakes are inappropriate in built-up areas and can affect a community's quality of life.''

Geelong councillor Stretch Kontelj said the camera system was a step in the right direction but they were not a solution and more sound barriers needed to be erected.

``The sound is muffled by the barriers but then it just makes its way up the hill and on to the row of houses that back onto the road,'' he said.

``I can vouch that all day long, the noise is there.''

Cr Andrew Katos said there was no data collected about noise pollution between midnight and 6am and described the noise camera as simple ``revenue raising''.
``In the still of the night, when a truck driver is doing the wrong thing, that's when it wakes people up,'' Cr Katos said.

He said the Government should have engaged trucker drivers in an education campaign before taking action against their registrations.

Other areas initially being targeted by VicRoads include Frankston, Yarraville, Buninyong and Southbank.

South Barwon MP Michael Crutchfield said he raised the noise issues with Mr Pallas after several complaints from his constituents.

He said the noise camera technology allowed VicRoads to enforce national heavy vehicle noise emission standards across Victoria.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jason[98.EL] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2010, 06:11 PM   #24
joolz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hey i wouldnt want to drive past one in a thunder storm. But if i am done i would then have to book in to have my car tested which will cost time and money. Its flawed big time as you cannot SEE sound.
joolz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2010, 06:54 PM   #25
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

It would be hilarious at an intersection, old grandma in her little Fiesta waiting at the lights and two ricers dosing up at the lights, little old lady gets a note to get her car checked out haha.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2010, 06:58 PM   #26
artwebber

i have 2 120 db airhorns in my excel ill love to see my stocko ************ excel get done at 120 db ill go to vic roads each time and ask em WTF would be funny
artwebber is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2010, 07:04 PM   #27
TUF_302
The Vengeful One
Donating Member1

You guys in Vic really do get some of the most stupid ideas from you governement about road saftey and the like, a Noise Camera?? are they off there heads on something?? :

Glad i dont live there!
Old 25-02-2010, 07:35 PM   #28
Airmon
King of the Fairy's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodp
My thoughts as well - wasn't aware it was there for a trial period... the signs are still up as of a couple of weeks ago but has been there a lot longer than 6 months.

It's on the downhill section, discourages the use of braking in that section lest get hit with a fine and therefore increases the chance of a runaway truck. If you have a home near this stretch of road, you would have realised that it's a section of road filled with coal trucks 24/7 when you bought it. Buy earplugs.
Yeah you're right, come to think of it I remember it appearing around december 2008 as a 'Trial', had a few big Signs up, then after a few months it just became common place.
People think its a speed camera when they see it and jump on the brakes, not a smart thing to do on that bit of road where it goes from 3 lanes to 2 rather quickly.

Just like the people who bought units near Luna park complaining about the noise. You wonder if they didn't notice it when they moved in?
Airmon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2010, 07:43 PM   #29
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by fat289
Dont be a sook !!!!!
Its not about being a sook at all i think they sound ridiculous (I grew up around HD's, Nortons etc)
If cars are to be restricted to a certain dB limit then it should apply to bikes aswell.
Old 25-02-2010, 07:44 PM   #30
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by joolz
Hey i wouldnt want to drive past one in a thunder storm. But if i am done i would then have to book in to have my car tested which will cost time and money. Its flawed big time as you cannot SEE sound.
Directional microphones.