Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 16-06-2010, 11:52 PM   #1
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Question Hyundai has become the first car company to offer an iPad instead of an owner's manua

iPad replaces owner's manual
STEPHEN OTTLEY
June 16, 2010 - 3:07PM

Hyundai has become the first car company to offer an iPad instead of an owner's manual.

The humble car owner's manual looks like it's heading the way of the Dodo, with Hyundai instead issuing Apple iPads to owners of its new premium sedan in the United States.

In a bid to demonstrate its technical savvy and premium intentions, Hyundai will load all the technical information about its range-topping Equus sedan on to an iPad.

The move is believed to be a first for the car industry, although BMW offers a digital manual on its i-Drive database in the 7-Series.

Set for launch in the United States later this year, the Equus is Hyundai's most ambitious model yet. It will be the company's most expensive model, with a retail price starting at $US50,000 ($58,000), and has been designed to compete with luxury sedans from European and Japanese brands such as Audi, BMW, Mercedes-Benz and Lexus.

Hyundai USA President and CEO, John Krafcik, says the decision to use an iPad is in keeping with the luxury positioning of its new model. The iPad manual will incorporate interactive text, pictures and instructional videos to provide better assistance to owners.

The iPad manual will also allow the owner to book the car in for a service without having to contact the dealer.
And when service time comes, Hyundai will roll out its other Equus bonus; dubbed "Service Valet".

Instead of taking the car to the dealership, the dealer will send out someone to meet the owner and pick up the car. A loan vehicle will be left, free of charge, and once the car's service is complete it will be dropped off at the owner's home.

Krafcik claims that while most premium dealerships have added cafes, lounges and other creature comforts to service areas in recent years, most people would prefer not to go to a dealership at all.

At the moment, though, the Equus, iPad manual and Service Valet all remain unavailable to Australians. Asked about the possibility of Equus joining the local line-up, Hyundai Australia spokesman, Ben Hershman, left the door open.

"We're always talking to HMC in Korea... [But] an Equus in our market in the very near future is unlikely," Hershman says.

As for an iPad manual or service valet, he also didn't rule out adopting the American approach.

"We're always looking at ways to enhance the customer experience. But it's not something I think we'll see this year," he says.

Old 17-06-2010, 02:21 AM   #2
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Nice! I have been wondering why expensive cars come with a 10GB hard drive for music, why don't they just throw in a 160GB iPod and an iPod connector in the glovebox?
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2010, 02:23 AM   #3
KPOJ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hyundai are innovators and will be the largest car company in the near future.
KPOJ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2010, 02:43 AM   #4
barra265t
Banned

funny how iPad fits in nicely with Hyundai's iLoad and iMax..
barra265t is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2010, 10:48 AM   #5
quimby
Starter Motor

What a stupid idea. As if the iPad will remain in the car. Will come in handy when the owner has problems with the car, but the iPad is a hundred clicks away at the owners house.
quimby is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2010, 10:52 AM   #6
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Yeh or dropping it in for a service just so the greasy apprentice can leave grease finger prints all over it when he scans in the service just carried out lol.
Smoke Pursuit is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2010, 10:57 AM   #7
tranquilized
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

An iPad will only last a few years before it dies, or the battery wont hold charge. (going by every iPod and iPhone I've ever owned)
The iPad wont see out the cars warranty - will Hyundai replace them under warranty or do you only get Apples one year?
If you sell the car will you have to give up your iPad as well? Keeping it would devalue the car as everyone wants the cars history right?

Nothing but a marketing gimmick IMO, the BMW system sounds like the way to go.
tranquilized is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2010, 10:59 AM   #8
StrokedXT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by quimby
What a stupid idea. As if the iPad will remain in the car. Will come in handy when the owner has problems with the car, but the iPad is a hundred clicks away at the owners house.
Really how often do people refer to the owners manual in a new car, most people dont even flcik through it when they get a new car unless they cant work out a feature. If something goes wrong its not like people go troubleshooting from the manual they call the dealer and get it towed.
StrokedXT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2010, 12:17 PM   #9
04redxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think the real issue is $50k US for a Hyundai.
04redxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2010, 12:50 PM   #10
MexicanBatman
Banned

287kw hyundai and 14.3 1/4 not bad for a huge barge of a car designed to compete with the 7 series and s class..... It will be miles ahead of a statesmen, but yeah if your into badges then you paid what now for a Hyundai... I'd have one, looks great! Just take a look at the rear seat business class.... To bad if you have to drive, but being a passenger would be nice.
MexicanBatman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2010, 02:55 PM   #11
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

Theoretically its not to bad but in the long run...a bit iffy...specially if people leave them in the glovebox thinking its where it belongs cos its the "owners manual".

Subaru Outback '02
TheInterceptor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2010, 03:40 PM   #12
FG XR
Custom FG XR6!

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always keen to get on board and help others along the way 

car thieves rejoice!

Break into a Hyundai in the states and get yourself a free ipad!
Old 17-06-2010, 05:25 PM   #13
Quicksand
Lucky, lucky bastard!

Its a sales gimick, and given the hype around iPads et al it just might pay off. We have a rich array of technology available to us, yet we still use bucketloads of paper. I think it is an innovative approach, and if the customer loses or destroys the iPad, they can buy another manual from Hyundai. Just like right now.

This will score a win with the greenies, generation Y and beyond.
Old 17-06-2010, 09:36 PM   #14
NudgE^SIKBRO
Never late with a V8

My guess would be, the services would be logged, so if by chance the iPad was lost the history would still be avalible to the new buyer of the car if sold Via Internet...

(Daily)2004 Explorer V8 Limited
(Work) 2014 Kenworth K200 Aerodyne
(Classic) 1969 Mini K, 1340, twin SU's
The beginning is near!!!

Body by Ford. Soul by NudgE
NudgE^SIKBRO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2010, 10:56 PM   #15
TheZHLANE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

what happens if the ipad breaks and you cant read your manual dderrrr
TheZHLANE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2010, 11:10 PM   #16
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What ever happened to the 'KISS' principle?

Keep it simple, stupid!

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2010, 01:47 AM   #17
SVD

it looks like its the birth child of a Merc S and BMW 7...
look, if Hyundai wants to tackle BMW and Merc head on...they should really be building a better brand image for themselves...in reality, everything relies on brand snobbery...regardless of how good or bad a car is.
SVD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2010, 10:19 AM   #18
trev62
Starter Motor

Be easier to just include a CD-DVD/ROM with a new car, so much information, simple and complex technical details , can be loaded onto 1 disk and be loaded into any laptop or home PC ? Cheap, simple, easy.
trev62 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2010, 10:54 AM   #19
almostsane

will the iPad still maintain its other iPad functions? or is it gonna be wiped so that it is the manual only?
Old 18-06-2010, 03:43 PM   #20
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

How’s this for luxury? The 2011 Hyundai Equus will include a 16GB Wi-Fi iPad with every purchase. What’s the connection? Well, Hyundai is trying to be cool, so rather than including a printed manual with the vehicle, the manual will actually be included on the iPad as a custom app. Not only that, but it will come with a custom leather case with an embossed logo, suede on the inside, and the case will double as a stand. Oh, and the manual will include a bunch of video content showing you how to use different features of the Equus. Any updates to the manual will come through iTunes, like any other app. Definitely unique, and a way to stand out from the crowd.
Old 18-06-2010, 04:19 PM   #21
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

Does it tell you how to pronouce equus?

Subaru Outback '02
TheInterceptor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2010, 05:54 PM   #22
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

iPad fails anyway.

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2010, 06:17 PM   #23
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

With its glass and aluminum construction the iPad is a good tactile choice for a luxury car.

I think the iPad should also link directly to the car. From your office you can see where its parked via GPS, check the fuel level, activate the surround cameras on the vehicle, remote start to warm or cool the cabin, get updates if the alarm is activated or someone is forcing entry, check the temperature outside of the vehicle. Nerdy but would sell cars.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2010, 12:56 PM   #24
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

With my MobileMe subscription I can use 'Find my iPhone' to locate my iPod, iPhone or iPad. Hyundai should make their own application 'Find my Hyundai' now that would be cool. I for one think this is great, more so the including of videos preloaded on the iPad to help with using new features. This is something a book just can't offer.
Old 20-06-2010, 08:47 AM   #25
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen
With its glass and aluminum construction the iPad is a good tactile choice for a luxury car.

I think the iPad should also link directly to the car. From your office you can see where its parked via GPS, check the fuel level, activate the surround cameras on the vehicle, remote start to warm or cool the cabin, get updates if the alarm is activated or someone is forcing entry, check the temperature outside of the vehicle. Nerdy but would sell cars.
That's a smart application of the iPad over just sticking a pdf on it and flogging it as a gimmick. I don't want an iPad so it would in no way sway me to own a car that gave you a free one with a pdf manual but if it was more integrated into the car, I'd would pique my interest.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2010, 12:06 AM   #26
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04redxr8
I think the real issue is $50k US for a Hyundai.
Yeah... they must be crazy!.. Look into what car what North American Car of The Year last year.

Regarding the ipad or whatever... it's a sales device. It gets people talking and it seems to be working..
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2010, 12:25 AM   #27
MexicanBatman
Banned

I don't see the big deal Hyundais are good cars nowdays, I did 45k in one I used to own and abused the crap out of it and had no issues at all, and less annoyances than I have had in 4000km in my G6E...

I'd buy the i45 in a second if it were a 220kw V6...

This Hyundai is far above a G6E it's S class competition, has anyone bothered to look it up, defiantly worth 50k us for the equus
MexicanBatman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post