Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 04-08-2010, 10:30 AM   #1
MAD
Petro-sexual

Default 40 years of seatbelts.

Its the 40th anniversary since the introduction of mandatory seatbelt laws.

In Victoria 30% of people killed on the roads last year were not wearing seatbelts.

I cant believe people still drive without them. I'm just not comfortable without it on. Even just moving my car a very short distance, at home or in the work carpark, etc. I still put the seatbelt on, it's a natural reaction.

Old 04-08-2010, 11:24 AM   #2
Bud Bud
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It is a mystery to me that this would happen today in this century as well, but what I can say is, most people born over the last 20-25 years just belt up partly because most of the "mums taxis" back then had graduated from VW beetles and 2 door Cordies with no seat belts (especially in the back) to 180B's and HQ Holdens that did have seat belts through out the car, and for which they were educated especially at school and even TV adds run during kids TV hrs to belt up. Today with the much more convenient retractable seat belts it just seems so second nature to them.

For me, and especially my dad however we had to learn to use them. I can remember travelling from Adelaide to Melbourne as a kid in the back (and I mean in the back!) of an XP S/wagon a few times. It was so different then. But the thing that stayed in my mind is when my dad bought an HT Prem that did not have retractable belts, he would just sling the belt over his shoulder to give the appearance of wearing a belt to avoid a fine. Safety was clearly not his primary concern. He did this well into the early 80's.

We all use them now including my dad but the retractable seatbelt seem to play a big part in seat belt use acceptance. I can remember seeing my dad struggle quite comically with the appearance of wearing a retractable seat belt for a little while until he gave up fighting the machine and just started to buckle up instead.

I see no reason why anybody would not use one as second nature now, and 30% non compliance is too high, even 1 % would still need to be questioned imho.

Bud Bud
Bud Bud is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2010, 11:47 AM   #3
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i wear one all the time, and it becomes second nature to just put it on when you sit down. i am like MAD above, i'm not comfortable without it.
Old 04-08-2010, 11:53 AM   #4
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I remember my dad having them fitted to any car that didn't have them. We just didn't go anywhere without them on and as a young driver my car didnt move unless all my friends had theirs on too, unconditionaly.
Old 04-08-2010, 12:06 PM   #5
Hardtopxb
Once PHASED.

Ten years ago I started going to the USA on busines, I could not believe that most people do not wear seat belts, when I asked why, the most common reply was ' It's not the law, and I don't like bieng told what do do. It's not ther law in most US states..
Old 04-08-2010, 12:24 PM   #6
Grippy
Racing improves the breed

It is as much a part of my start up routine as turning the key, dont know why people wouldnt use them

1964 Mini Cooper S Historic Group Nb Touring car

2024 Subaru Outback Touring XT

Victorian Hill Climb Championship
Grippy is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2010, 12:53 PM   #7
zdcol71
zdcol71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardtopxb
Ten years ago I started going to the USA on busines, I could not believe that most people do not wear seat belts, when I asked why, the most common reply was ' It's not the law, and I don't like bieng told what do do. It's not ther law in most US states..
So in my sarcastic voice, I ask "Do you mean then, that if something is law. and you break the law and get punished for it often enough to the extent that it changes your attitude to that law so that it becomes second nature to abide by it and in turn reduces the road toll, then it is a good law?
Old 04-08-2010, 01:49 PM   #8
Kryton

Really makes you wonder why you wouldnt wear a seatbelt.
I know of only one person who doesnt have to wear a seatbelt due to medical conditions (certified and applied to be legal) but for everyone else, youd have to think that the thought of going through the windscreen would make you pull your head in a bit - wouldnt it?
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2010, 02:38 PM   #9
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

I wore seatbelts (in Vic) before it became law.

Back then (with bench seats) they kept me in the drivers seat instead of sliding over to the passenger side in corners
Old 04-08-2010, 03:51 PM   #10
Monkey
XM FALCON

my car dosn't have seat belts
havnt figured out the best bay to fit sash belts
Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2010, 06:10 PM   #11
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardtopxb
Similar thing happened several years ago with a French lass I was living with in a share house. Just arrived 2 days prior, decided to go out for lunch. She gave me a lecture on how me insisting on her wearing the belt was a violation of her liberties and her right to choose blah blah blah etc... you know, with that condescending / arrogant sort of accent that can be sexy at times, but ohh sooo irritating at other times.

Anyway.. when she was told of the fines and the strictness of the law here she soon stopped her whining and complied.

I think dad, in the 10 years I remember him having the XA never wore the belt once. Just put it over his shoulder and rested it where it should clip in.

He even got pulled over once for a breath test, the cop noticed that it wasn't fastened and dad just said 'I thought I was going to get out of the car' when questioned why it wasn't on properly..

He is another one of those 'Don't like being told what to do' people... if it weren't for retractable belts it would still be over his shoulder and not fastened.
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2010, 07:45 PM   #12
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

My boss keeps forgetting to put his seatbelt on, its only in his new Lexus that he wears it because the seat belt alarm goes nuts if you don't put it on.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2010, 09:16 PM   #13
g220ba
FGX XR8

I've always had the attitude of the car doesn't move until all seatbelts are on. Often arguements occur to which the passengers are told seatbelt on or walk.

These are one item in a car that will save your life in many situations so i don't understand how people can argue about not wearing one. It's really not that hard and in all reality if it's uncomfortable you will get used to it over time.
g220ba is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2010, 09:37 PM   #14
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

Even in a situation when you brake suddenly due to sombody cutting you off, it prevents you (or morso the passengers) from becoming a dashboard ornament.

Dont understand the "logic" of people who dont wear it cos they dont have to...like cmon, its there for a reason.

Subaru Outback '02
TheInterceptor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2010, 09:49 PM   #15
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Don't know how come you wouldn't let alone forget to put it on
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2010, 10:00 PM   #16
cant
CANT !!!!!!!!

Seat belts can fail !!!!

Torn or frayed, and then put under suficient load and =no seat belt

Had mine fail in my XC 12 years ago in a head on, just the previous day it hadnt clipped in properly (prob dirty or something) but didnt think anything much of it

Next day had my face in the screen !!!!!!!!!!!!

Hence a pic of my ute on my AVITAR !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Better to be late, than
VERY LATE !!!! :

YEAH HA !!!!!!!!
cant is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2010, 10:10 PM   #17
CFOUR
The Destroyer

my uncle refused to wear a seatbelt (lost license multiple times) deep into his forties. when his son hit 5 he started wearing one to set a good example.
Old 04-08-2010, 10:30 PM   #18
dave351cid
playing in my big shed

had a customers new VZ calais in the shop , owner droped it off in the morning and wanted me to deliver it back to his house when i had finished the job. jumped in and went to put belt on and found the spare key jammed into the belt clip.

i took my car and picked up the owner,
when asked about the key he said that he never wore seat belts and the alarm was annoying him. .....and his job was a "life coach" ??????????? duh
`04 BA XR6 Turbo sedan. Blueprint. auto, Leather trim.
`03 BA XLS ute . Acid Rush, factory lpg, auto,
`48 TEA20 Grey Ferguson,
`62 Willys 6-230 , 4x4 light truck
`04 Yamaha TTR 250
dave351cid is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2010, 12:22 PM   #19
Fled74
The Thread Killa

20+ years ago I saw an ad in an American car magazine for T-shirts with a seatbelt printed on them (so you look like you're wearing one). I believe such shirts are still available online.

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Fled74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2010, 01:35 PM   #20
LTDHO
The one and only

In Vic I find thet couriers (not all) don't wear them as they are constantly in and out of their vehicle.
In NSW it's taxi drivers who don't, and boy are they bad drivers. I wanted a harness!
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2010, 01:36 PM   #21
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I wonder how many of that 30% is busses though? Remember alot of them still dont have them, and even if they do no one still wears them.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2010, 03:13 PM   #22
Velociraptor82
Eat my Brake Dust

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6 Martin
I wonder how many of that 30% is busses though? Remember alot of them still dont have them, and even if they do no one still wears them.
I don't think I've ever seen a suburban bus with seatbelts.. Most coaches seems to have them tho.
Small Ford Sunday 2010 - Best Modified Car presented by the EuroFord Club

If I'm going to Hell, I'm going in a Ford

Velociraptor82 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2010, 05:53 PM   #23
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6 Martin
The number of bus crashes involving deaths would be minute, no where near the 30% of total road deaths.

The simple fact is many people do not wear seat belts, I often go to crashes with serious injuries and there was no seat belt worn.

Personally I do not see the logic of not wearing them, but I guess my attitude is a bit different because I have seen the star shaped impact mark on a windscreen with hair caught in it and the face of a 20 year old girl that will that required a new jaw made out of her ribs, lost one eye, never smell again and require countless rounds of surgery to have some form of face again.
Old 05-08-2010, 06:02 PM   #24
g220ba
FGX XR8

Quote:
Originally Posted by cant
Seat belts can fail !!!!

Torn or frayed, and then put under suficient load and =no seat belt

Had mine fail in my XC 12 years ago in a head on, just the previous day it hadnt clipped in properly (prob dirty or something) but didnt think anything much of it

Next day had my face in the screen !!!!!!!!!!!!

Hence a pic of my ute on my AVITAR !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
That's a perfect example of why they should not only be worn at all times but they also should be inspected at regular intervals to ensure safe and proper operation.
g220ba is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2010, 06:08 PM   #25
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84ltd
That's a perfect example of why they should not only be worn at all times but they also should be inspected at regular intervals to ensure safe and proper operation.
Top advice, people spend so much time and money looking after the mechanicals of their car but never think to check the seat belts. Seat belt replacement should be a part of any restoration.
Old 05-08-2010, 10:20 PM   #26
Zephyr Mk1
Starter Motor

I just bought brand new ones for my Zephyr, you have to consider the condition of seat belts that are 40 years old! Or younger ones that have been in a smash.
Zephyr Mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2010, 11:07 PM   #27
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckoGT
Seat belt replacement should be a part of any restoration.
Funny, getting out of the LTD tonight and the seatbelt is a bit of a pain to retract. I actually thought to myself that it might be worth investing in some nice new ones, not just because of it being a pain to retract at times but because if its not going back properly, is it really going to hold me should I need it in that millionth of a second if anything went wrong.

Ever since I was a kid I was taught to wear a seatbelt. To the point my parents refused to even start the engine should it not be on. To tell the truth, they've never bothered me as a kid or as an adult, it was programmed into me at such a young age its second nature to me. Get in car, left hand over right shoulder (or vice versa if I'm a passenger), belt down. Then start car.

And its even standard routine should I just be backing a car out off my front lawn to come straight back up onto the driveway, or moving cars around. When I did two weeks work experience at a car yard earlier this year without even thinking I'd just throw the belt on while moving cars around on the yard.
Originally Posted by Nikked
Riksta likes VN's so much, he has the ashes of a VN in a jar on the mantle piece, a vile of VN engine oil hanging from his neck and a BT1 build plate locked up in a safe, buried under 6ft of concrete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
pretty much what has happened here is i trolled you. and it was fun.
Riksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2010, 01:46 PM   #28
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Seat belts were not invented to save lives. They are just to save the Ambo's time walking around picking up pieces of people.
Old 07-08-2010, 01:59 AM   #29
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

In my harsh opinion, if you don't wear a seatbelt, you deserve what you get.
If you die as a result, then it may just be your lucky day, considering you could live and be in a terrible condition for the rest of your life.

I know 2 people who were thrown from their car due to not wearing a seatbelt. Neither survived.

Belt Up, or Suffer the Pain.

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2010, 04:00 PM   #30
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane
Seat belts were not invented to save lives. They are just to save the Ambo's time walking around picking up pieces of people.

Using a very black sense of humour that you have started. I could say it is easier if they don't have a seat belt, then we don't have to cut the body out of the car.