Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 13-09-2010, 02:11 AM   #1
dom_105
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Eastern Freeway's speed cameras go haywire

Quote:
EXCLUSIVE: SERIOUS faults with the state's most notorious speed cameras are revealed in new documents.

The Herald Sun can reveal EastLink speed cameras took images they weren't supposed to, contained corrupt data and had communication blackouts.

Officials were forced to replace a Wellington Rd camera after it went haywire, shooting images it wasn't supposed to.
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/vic...-1225919895952
That Wellington Road camera is shiftier than a Bond, Skase and Rene Rivkin tea party. I always back it down to 80-85 going under that bridge, and I advise everybody I talk to about this issue to do the same.

I think the first political party to offer a moratorium on the fines resulting from that camera will go close to winning the state election. It's gotten to the stage now whereby it's the moral and ethical thing to do.

dom_105 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-09-2010, 11:14 AM   #2
MAD
Petro-sexual

Great, another 'slow down' point to annoy all the other road users.
Orrong Rd on Princes Hwy is another perfect example. You dont need to hit the brakes through the intersection if you're already doing 50 in a 70 zone. It seems its become a natural reaction.
Old 13-09-2010, 11:17 AM   #3
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well it will be fixed quickly as they need the money......
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-09-2010, 01:36 PM   #4
andrewts
White Car Driver

What sort of camera are they anyway? Shifty looking mongrels...

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&hq=&...8.27,,0,-17.44
Old 13-09-2010, 02:57 PM   #5
tweeked
N/A all the way

Cue the "You were speeding just pay the fine" brigade.

tweeked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-09-2010, 03:25 PM   #6
UNR8D
FORMER T3 OWNER

god there are some morons in VIC my brain hurts after reading their comments on news.com... slow down and you wont get caught.. what part of FAULTY didnt you grasp in that article you twats.

we wonder why Aus is quickly becoming the most nannied nation in the world.. some people really need to learn if they don't understand something either learn about it or don't comment.

I feel soo sorry for VIC I really do, some of the best roads ive driven on, yet people who should have been stains on a rug running the transport/vic pol.

you can sleep in your car, but you cant drift your house...
UNR8D is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-09-2010, 07:55 PM   #7
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

One of the ministers pretty much said there is no chance it could be faulty or something like that on the radio when I was going home from work tonight.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-09-2010, 09:31 PM   #8
g220ba
FGX XR8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
One of the ministers pretty much said there is no chance it could be faulty or something like that on the radio when I was going home from work tonight.
I think that may have been Ken Lay, i think i heard his name mentioned befrore all the drivel came out of its mouth.

Slowing down to 80-85 seems a bit excessive, i've driven through there at 95-100 and never had a problem(not to say i won't in the future). If the decision makers wish for us tax payers to take them seriously they should perhaps start treating as people not cash machines.
g220ba is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-09-2010, 10:32 PM   #9
ILLaViTaR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNR8D
god there are some morons in VIC my brain hurts after reading their comments on news.com... slow down and you wont get caught.. what part of FAULTY didnt you grasp in that article you twats.

we wonder why Aus is quickly becoming the most nannied nation in the world.. some people really need to learn if they don't understand something either learn about it or don't comment.

I feel soo sorry for VIC I really do, some of the best roads ive driven on, yet people who should have been stains on a rug running the transport/vic pol.
So take it out on the victims who now have to slow down to compensate for dodgy technology? Not the morons who neglect incompetent technology and impose those cameras in the first place?
How irrational.

Maybe we should stop blaming rapists for rape and blame the victims for not carrying panic alarms 24/7 while we're at it.

Jesus ******* Christ.
Old 13-09-2010, 10:34 PM   #10
ILLaViTaR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
Woah, with that amount of compelling evidence he has to be right!
Old 14-09-2010, 09:59 AM   #11
UNR8D
FORMER T3 OWNER

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILLaViTaR
So take it out on the victims who now have to slow down to compensate for dodgy technology? Not the morons who neglect incompetent technology and impose those cameras in the first place?
How irrational.

Maybe we should stop blaming rapists for rape and blame the victims for not carrying panic alarms 24/7 while we're at it.

Jesus ******* Christ.

how about you have a read of my post again... then eat some humble pie.

I was having a go at the moron's who use that as their arguement dispite not reading the article that clearly states that the camera's were faulty, as in NOT the fault of the motorist and slowing down mantra had nothing to do with them getting a fine....

you can sleep in your car, but you cant drift your house...
UNR8D is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-09-2010, 01:19 AM   #12
FgNewbie
Australia

did you notice
Quote:
UPDATE 4.55pm: AUTHORITIES say EastLink speed cameras are working "extremely well", fending off calls for a "cover-up" probe.
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/vic...-1225919895952
FgNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-09-2010, 01:46 AM   #13
Bobman
Regulator

These bank of cameras at the Wellington Road overpass have been a cause of concern since the East Link tollway opened in 2008. It's laughable that they even installed cameras on a brand new safe stretch of road.

Now, ask yourselves this. If cameras were for "safety", why are there no cameras on the Monash freeway?

It's interesting how the Spring Street bureaucrats (who post on Herald Sun) keep saying "don't speed, don't get fined" or "they would go broke without all the speedsters". What these folks (who have low IQs) don't understand is that cameras are not reliable and are not perfect devices. You can't trust them!

Current Cars:
2000 AU2 Fairmont (2019-current)
2003 BA1 Falcon Divvy Van (2017-current)
2009 VW Mk6 Golf 118TSi (2020-current)
Previous Cars:
2003 MCX10R Avalon VXi (2017-2020)
1995 EF1 Falcon GLi (2016-2019)
1997 XH2 Falcon Van OPT20 (2016-2019)
2006 BF Fairlane Ghia (2013-2018)
2001 AU3 Futura (2010-2013)
1996 EL Fairmont (2008-2010)
2004 BA XR6 (2005-2008)
2001 AU2 Forte (2005-2006)
1988 EA Fairmont Ghia (2003-2005)
1984 AR Telstar TX5 Ghia (2001-2005)
Bobman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-09-2010, 06:00 PM   #14
pauljh74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I got through there at 100-102km/h indicated and have never been pinged at Wellington Rd. I'm usually going the same speed or slightly faster than other traffic. Stopped doing a daily run up and down Eastlink about this time last year.
Not bad for a #2 driver
Mark Webber after winning the 2010 British Grand Prix.
pauljh74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-09-2010, 06:45 PM   #15
Spanrz
Hmmmmmmm!!

In the years of Eastlink and it's camera issues, I still have no fine, or yet to receive one. And I drive 100kph under these cameras. That is both the Welly road one and the Greens Road/Bypass one.
I am not defending Eastlink or whatever they are, but I have for many years driven this road without one speeding ticket.

The reason, I know what my car's speed is in relation to the speedo.

Now these idjits that got in the Herald-Sun the other day, said "I don't speed", one says he got a few within a few km's over and they were dodgy, then the others were just over the limit enough to constitute a fine, yet he was defending himself to say "I don't speed". WTF?

I might just do a video again. Just to show how easy it is to "DIY" speed testing.

I will basically challenge anyone who thinks they don't speed, for a cruise along the cameras to prove a point.

EDIT: if you keep passing everyone on this Eastlink Freeway, you probably are speeding. One of the easiest "rule of thumb" ever.
Spanrz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post