Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 11-12-2010, 06:54 AM   #1
Walt Kowalski
I use brain. Not hip.

Default Christmas Gift idea. HAIL protection

With all the wild weather about and more HAIL storms forecast, maybe its time for a hail car cover from Forum Sponsor Super Auto One.

Ideal to carry in the boot!

http://www.superoneauto.com.au/shops...rs/hail-covers

FALCON & TERRITORY:

http://www.superoneauto.com.au/shops...-to-527cm-long

MONDEO:
http://www.superoneauto.com.au/shops...-to-490cm-long

Walt Kowalski is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2010, 09:58 AM   #2
jamesson1980
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

pretty good idea. I'm always paranoid about hail beating up my FG ever since that storm in Melbourne, April 21 that demoralised hundreds of cars in the Ferntree Gully area. Does anyone know if there's any long term risk of using a car cover ie: swirl scratches on the paint, condensation causing rust etc.

2009 FG XR6, Ego Paint, Darkest possible tint, Sunroof, Black Vic number plates. No performance mods. Born To Be Mild
jamesson1980 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2010, 12:39 PM   #3
FgNewbie
Australia

jamesson I don't have a cover but from previous threads I've read, I remember 2 key points.

The guys concerned about their paint wash their car before putting the cover on.

If the cover doesn't fit / secure properly and subsequently blows in the wind, it has potential to leave marks relative to material used.

I don't remember the comments about vents vs no vents.

I couldn't read all the fine print on the Falcon link above but I have to wonder what size hail would still damage the car.

Mid 90s my car sat in an unusually bad hail storm, I put a foam mattress on the roof and it still got damaged. Since then, if I get caught in a hail storm, I find a random block of units or shopping centre or anything anywhere under cover to protect the car. Very inconvenient habit but easier than dealing with hail damage.
FgNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2010, 12:43 PM   #4
StrikeTwiceXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesson1980
pretty good idea. I'm always paranoid about hail beating up my FG ever since that storm in Melbourne, April 21 that demoralised hundreds of cars in the Ferntree Gully area. Does anyone know if there's any long term risk of using a car cover ie: swirl scratches on the paint, condensation causing rust etc.
G'day buddy, I have used a car cover on acrylic and 2 pac paint with no evidence of swirl scratches or condensation. The key thing to preventing any condensation is to make sure that the car cover is of good quality and waterproof. I am pretty particular about the paint on all the cars I have owned, and must say that I never noticed any micro-scratching of the paint. Im guessing yours is Ego in color judging by your profile picture and therefore swirls will be more noticeable, where as all my cars have been silver.
I hope this friendly advice is taken the right way because the last guys I gave friendly advice to on here ripped my head off and has made me very reluctant to even come on here.
In summary, you can't go wrong with a good quality, waterproof car cover. Good luck
StrikeTwiceXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2010, 12:47 PM   #5
ThaFlash
Trusted Seller

i am extremely paranoid myself and one of my cars, which I sold (HOLDEN) was FUBAR after that hail storm in melb and not just from the top but from the side too and I hate to say it but that product don't look like it has much in the way of side protection.

instead i opted extra juicy insurance cover, so now i am hoping it hails bricks.
ThaFlash is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2010, 01:04 PM   #6
StrikeTwiceXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

[QUOTE=HP4ME]i am extremely paranoid myself and one of my cars, which I sold (HOLDEN) was FUBAR after that hail storm in melb and not just from the top but from the side too and I hate to say it but that product don't look like it has much in the way of side protection.

instead i opted extra juicy insurance cover, so now i am hoping it hails bricks.[/QUOTE
Old 11-12-2010, 04:54 PM   #7
jamesson1980
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrikeTwiceXR6
G'day buddy, I have used a car cover on acrylic and 2 pac paint with no evidence of swirl scratches or condensation. The key thing to preventing any condensation is to make sure that the car cover is of good quality and waterproof. I am pretty particular about the paint on all the cars I have owned, and must say that I never noticed any micro-scratching of the paint. Im guessing yours is Ego in color judging by your profile picture and therefore swirls will be more noticeable, where as all my cars have been silver.
I hope this friendly advice is taken the right way because the last guys I gave friendly advice to on here ripped my head off and has made me very reluctant to even come on here.
In summary, you can't go wrong with a good quality, waterproof car cover. Good luck
What the hell.. you don't even know what you're talking about!! Just messing champ, thanks for the advice, I'l ask around a few retailers for quality material. I currently have a pretty cheap one which I use mainly for shade to protect the interior and paint on hot day. In Melbourne this year it's only been on twice, but left no marks at all I think due to the good tight fit.

And I wouldn't worry about getting a blast on here, it happens often. There's a few trolls who just like to push buttons and turn threads into warzones for a bit of attention, and there's also a few who are invariably right every time. Never take it personally, it's not worth the worry and these forums are too much a valuable info source to keep away from. Thanks again for the info

2009 FG XR6, Ego Paint, Darkest possible tint, Sunroof, Black Vic number plates. No performance mods. Born To Be Mild
jamesson1980 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2010, 05:08 PM   #8
ThaFlash
Trusted Seller

I bought an autotecnica storm guard once from autobarn and it was waterproof 100% with a nice soft felt underneath with vents and 2 straps that go under the car to keep the cover down.

I reckon they are a good brand but not convinced side impact of hail stones the size of tennis balls will be repelled.

We need a better pic walt?
ThaFlash is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2010, 06:03 PM   #9
StrikeTwiceXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesson1980
What the hell.. you don't even know what you're talking about!! Just messing champ, thanks for the advice, I'l ask around a few retailers for quality material. I currently have a pretty cheap one which I use mainly for shade to protect the interior and paint on hot day. In Melbourne this year it's only been on twice, but left no marks at all I think due to the good tight fit.

And I wouldn't worry about getting a blast on here, it happens often. There's a few trolls who just like to push buttons and turn threads into warzones for a bit of attention, and there's also a few who are invariably right every time. Never take it personally, it's not worth the worry and these forums are too much a valuable info source to keep away from. Thanks again for the info
Thanks for that buddy. All the luck to you buddy, and thanks for the kind words
Old 11-12-2010, 06:07 PM   #10
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FgNewbie
jamesson I don't have a cover but from previous threads I've read, I remember 2 key points.

The guys concerned about their paint wash their car before putting the cover on.

If the cover doesn't fit / secure properly and subsequently blows in the wind, it has potential to leave marks relative to material used.

I don't remember the comments about vents vs no vents.

I couldn't read all the fine print on the Falcon link above but I have to wonder what size hail would still damage the car.

Mid 90s my car sat in an unusually bad hail storm, I put a foam mattress on the roof and it still got damaged. Since then, if I get caught in a hail storm, I find a random block of units or shopping centre or anything anywhere under cover to protect the car. Very inconvenient habit but easier than dealing with hail damage.
Having used cae covers on all my cars besides my current one i can agree.

But the washing thing might be an issue if its put on in an emergency though, but id rather a few marks from the cover then hail damage
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
DJM83 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post