Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 15-01-2011, 03:19 PM   #1
Samurai_Chris

Default New member. What to choose?

Hi guys, this is my first post on the boards. And rather than waste space with multiple threads. I thought I would ask a few questions in this one..

First off. I am currently living in Japan. But after 10 years will be moving the family back to Brisbane mid this year. I am looking to get a Ford Focus for a first off car, and eventually give it to the wife when I get a second.. (I am waiting for the new Ranger to be released)

Anyways. Personally I would like to start off with the Focus as a small play car, and would get the XR5 Turbo in a heart beat. But the wife (Japanese) can't drive stick, and so as she will eventually end up with the Focus, I will need to go Auto..

I am currently in two or three minds at the moment, as to what model to get? The TDCi Hatch, or the Zetec Hatch? Or, wait for the 2011 model, and get a sedan, as the new 2011 sedans look far superior to the latest model...

My first question is. What are the pro's, and the con's of both the TDCi, and the Zetec?

The TDCi has the 6 Speed Sports Auto with the diesel. And the Zetec with a 4 Speed Auto...

Second Question is. What accessories can I get for the Focus as far as doing her up like the XR5? I would love to have a white one with the blue Ford racing stripes and sports fenders ect...

Cheers, Chris

Samurai_Chris is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2011, 03:26 PM   #2
casabonka
You can call me Chris

welcomes! are you looking at new or used?
-Rear Whiteline swaybay
-Lenso 18's w/Kumho rubber
-Tinted Windows
casabonka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2011, 03:32 PM   #3
Samurai_Chris

I guess it will depend at the time.. I would prefer new. But if there is one that comes along that has been shown the love. Then I def would look at it..
Old 15-01-2011, 03:45 PM   #4
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

The Zetec from the outside is fairly similar to the XR5, but if your looking at the MkII then it differs abit. Front and rear bumpers are a little different. IMO the Zetec is a nice looking car.
Alot of features that are in the XR5 are now in the MkII aswell which is a good thing.

If it were me id teach the wife to drive a manual as you dont know what your missing out on the XR5 is a great car.
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
DJM83 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2011, 04:04 PM   #5
Neale
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Welcome. If you are after the sportier look. The zetec has a body kit & is styled to be a bit like the XR. The New Zetecs are about $29,000 on road & the dash is very RS like minus the extra gauges.

As far as accesories go, you could possibly get some new wheels (maybe XR5 wheels) & a spoiler like the RS or XR5 & stripes (should cost around $500 to $600 and any decent signwiter should be able to do them for you) to make it look the part.

Im not sure how you feel about econnomy but the petrol auto can be a bit thirstier. Im sure some of the diesel guys can tell you a bit more about the running costs of the diesel.

Heres a pic of my 2006 zetec with stripes
Neale is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2011, 05:31 PM   #6
Samurai_Chris

Thanks guys. Its funny. My wife just said that we haven't even moved yet. And already I am thinking about cars!..

The big problem for me is, that once I have my mind set. Its hard to break.. The next thing will be deciding on color. I know I said that I love the white with blue stripes.. But I am also very partial to silver cars. My last 3 cars have all been silver. And so I think black stripes on silver would look just as hot...

But getting back on subject. I am leaning more toward the Zetec. Simply because of the styling. Plus. I owned a diesel Isuzu Trooper Turbo a few years ago, and I am not sure I would like the sound of a truck jiggling away in a small hatchback...

Nice ride Neale!
Old 15-01-2011, 05:52 PM   #7
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Cant go past white but im biased
- Antz Turboside Intake
Old 15-01-2011, 06:30 PM   #8
Samurai_Chris

Hi DJ.. I love it...

If I were to go white, this is what I am looking at as an end result..

Hope you don't mind my borrowing your pic to use.. I am no good at photoshop..

Old 15-01-2011, 07:26 PM   #9
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Yep i dont mind OTT's but the side strips are a no from me.
- Antz Turboside Intake
Old 15-01-2011, 08:27 PM   #10
casabonka
You can call me Chris

would look good with black rims! Although black rims suck to keep clean. MIne are only half black and are enough of a nightmare!
-Rear Whiteline swaybay
-Lenso 18's w/Kumho rubber
-Tinted Windows
casabonka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post