Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 05-02-2011, 02:24 AM   #1
Zetec Dave

Default Flooded Fiesta!!!

Hey guys just want your opinion, the wife was driving to work this evening and was caught in the bad melbourne weather this evening and ended up being trapped in a big pool of flood water causing the car to stall and would not restart. Second later, water started to pour into the car up to the level of the base of the seat. Some guys helped to push the car out of the mess a few minutes later but car still wouldn't start. Waited for 2 hrs and after following the manual's instruction for flooding, the car started again and was driven home.
Problem now is, I don't want a flood affected car as it may cause problems down the track. So far the electricals work and the car drives alright but don't know how much damage has been done.
Does anybody know if AAMI might give us a write off or will they just decide to go cheap and replace the carpets and give it a clean?

Your opinions and experiences are much appreciated.

Zetec Dave is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2011, 07:41 AM   #2
tbf001

Very similar happened to me some years back, insurance company send the car to the panel beater who changes the carpet and underlay, dries out the seatfoam makes it smell nice and sends it home. About 6 mnths later on a small country road which I used everyday the car stalls leaving me doing 100+kmh with no power steering or power assisted brakes including ABS.........not trendy.

Limped it home intermittently stalling all the way turned out the coil back and alot of the wiring had corrosion. Looking for blood after the scare I discovered that the panel beater and the insurance company are required by law to obtain a test of the airbag/seat belt tensioner system after a vehicle is water affected. Most computer and ECU's are located in foot wells or low down in the vehicle.

Long story short waived this info in front of the original assessor and car written off.

Car has to be labelled "water damaged" at the auctions also has to be VIVed with the same test to be registered again.
tbf001 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2011, 09:16 AM   #3
Twinpiston
Finally rollin on 20's

To be honest, you would have been better off leaving it in the water!!!!

It will be hard to get anything written off, especially after all the problems around Australia at the moment.
K&N, F6 Snorkel, Debung, 20" Enix Turbine in Gunmetal, 7 seat rear springs.
Twinpiston is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2011, 09:31 AM   #4
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Same thing happened to a falcon I had years ago. Water into the engine, water above the seat base. Got the NRMA to try to start, said I had compression lock, towed it toi ford, rang insurance, they inspected and wrote it off.

If you are insured, ring your insurance company.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2011, 01:23 PM   #5
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Mate, bad luck. What a sad sight it would have been :-(
Old 05-02-2011, 03:33 PM   #6
Liri

If AAMI are doing the same thing as some of the other insures who are under the Suncorp umbrella they'll total loss that thing at the drop of a hat. What they'll take in to account is the likelihood of further problems or rectification work down the track if they choose to repair the vehicle.

I can tell you right now they're not scared to write a vehicle off due to recent weather events and are doing it pretty quickly, I've got 300+ soggy vehicles sitting in holding yards that are either already processed or being paid out as total losses at the moment.
Liri is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2011, 04:09 PM   #7
Zetec Dave

Well I am crossing all fingers and toes that it a write off cause a flooded car will never be the same and will only cause the pain in the **** and difficult to diagnose electrical faults in the future despite any claims of lifetime warranty.
The ammi guy over the phone said it's a bug difference when a car is only engine flooded compared to when it's flooded 3/4 of the way and was surprised to hear the height of cabin submersion. I'm praying for our preferred verdict .
Old 05-02-2011, 05:50 PM   #8
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0_Eo2Y770Y

Built Ford Tough
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2011, 11:14 PM   #9
Fled74
The Thread Killa

^^ I was waiting for someone to bring that up.

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Fled74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2011, 12:46 PM   #10
Zetec Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
Ha Ha Ha...LOL...Yeah but I heard from somewhere a while back that that car ended up being a write off after that test. Especially being salt water.
Old 19-02-2011, 09:26 AM   #11
Zetec Dave

Well thought I'd update you all on what's been happening. AAMI finally declared it a write off a few days after it was towed from home to Manheim Auction grounds. They didn't pick up the car until about a week later so you could imagine the stench it had the moment you opened the doors. Smelt like a rubbish tip in there with moisture everywhere. Still waiting for the total loss team as they call it to contact me to arrange payout. Meanwhile, we've bought a replacement car. A Skoda Octavia vRS Originally was looking into an LV Focus XR5 but wifey didn't like the look of it and didn't wanted one with a 2.5lts engine.
All in all, it's been great to be a part of this forum during the period of my WS Fiesta ownership and I'll still check back from time to time. Keep enjoying the lil Fiestas, cause asides from the limited boot space and lack of power, they're a real great runabou with looks to kill.
Old 19-02-2011, 12:22 PM   #12
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A worthy replacement!
Old 20-02-2011, 07:56 PM   #13
Zetec Dave

Hey guys anyone interested in buying the ipod /connectorcontrol cable off me for $30 posted? Sitting around doing nothing anyways and doesn't work in my other cars. Barely used and in as new condition.
Old 12-03-2011, 02:54 PM   #14
greenfoam
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Dave where is your car, in a wreckers somewhere?. Now I want one of the wheels
greenfoam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2011, 11:28 PM   #15
GoesLikeAZetec
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetec Dave
A Skoda Octavia vRS
Great choice. Did you get the petrol or diesel model? Same car as vw/audi just rebadged isnt it?
GoesLikeAZetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2011, 03:56 AM   #16
Zetec Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenfoam
Dave where is your car, in a wreckers somewhere?. Now I want one of the wheels
I saw it listed at Manheim a few weeks ago but recently disappeared so must have been auctioned off?
Old 15-03-2011, 03:59 AM   #17
Zetec Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoesLikeAZetec
Great choice. Did you get the petrol or diesel model? Same car as vw/audi just rebadged isnt it?
Hey thanks. Got the petrol 2.0 turbo (same engine as the VW golf GTI). Skoda is basically another VW brand and shares the same components as the VW Golf gti. We absolutely love it and took it down to black spur and reefton spur the other night and all I can say is WOWEE!!! Handles and feels much better than my fully modded VW Polo Gti. The Skoda Octavia RS is so capable that everything feels understated and treats corners like 'phffft...meh...no biggie'. Thinking about selling the VW polo Gti and maybe get another Skoda for the wife. Anyone interested in a 2007 fully modded Polo Gti with sound system for $18,000 neg? Done 76,000km. Can provide pics if requested.