Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 12-03-2011, 07:12 PM   #1
Dustproof

Default TDCi Fuel Economy

Hi guy's,

I have a MK2 LV Powershift TDCi, my fuel economy is crap compared to my LT 6 speed manual TDCi. The dash says 7.1 L/100KM (Best, normally 7.3 L/100Km), I measured it at the pump at 6.97 L/100Km economic driving . Can anyone tell me what sort of fuel consumption they get from their Powershift TDCi, is this about right or is this a bit high.

At 6.97 would give me around 740Km's from a tank, my old LT was giving me 900Km for the same work (Dash said 6.1 best was 4.4 Normal Driving). I think for some reason this new LV chews the fuel in comparison, I am going to bring this up at the first service but I thought I would ask you here if this is normal first.

Noel

Old 12-03-2011, 09:32 PM   #2
jandj

My missus has LV TDCI with powershift.Its done 32000 klms and its 7.1 per 100,it use to say 6.3 per 100 on dash.I think its due to the fact she drives in the city with air-con on,and since the floods have hit brissy the traffic has been heavy.
jandj is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2011, 09:50 PM   #3
marg99
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Stop /start traffic is not the the best for diesel economy. They like rolling along at a constant speed other wise they tend to use heaps of fuel getting off the mark.
marg99 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2011, 10:43 PM   #4
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Mines showing 4.8L/100km, I've done 750km and I've just got under 1/4 of a tank left, car has just over 1000km on the clock now.

95% of my driving is all highway.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2011, 12:04 AM   #5
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

On the freeway mine gets high 4's crusing at 100. Increase the speed to 110 and it becomes around 5 to 5.2.

City driving will bump that up to mid 6's. (low 7's when the wife drives lol).

Just a question. Am I correct in guessing that the LV TDCI hasn't got instantaneous consumption figures? The only figure I can go off is the 'average usage' which doesn't really give figures constantly updated on the go.
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2011, 12:27 PM   #6
Turbodiesel
Torquer

I averaged around 7.5L/100km when burning around the Marulan track flat out.

That does sound high Dustproof, to get that consumption it would have to be 90% stop-start city driving I reckon.

2007 LT Focus TDCi S
Bluefin Remap - K&N Apollo CAI - 2.5" Turbo-back Straight Pipe - 24mm Rear Sway bar - LT Zetec Bodykit - Black Projector Head Lights - LED Tail lights - DMB Overlays - Alloy Pedals - Scuff Plates - Sports Gear Knob - LV XR5 Springs - LV XR5 Wheels - Pirelli P-Zero Nero
Turbodiesel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2011, 12:56 PM   #7
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva
On the freeway mine gets high 4's crusing at 100. Increase the speed to 110 and it becomes around 5 to 5.2.

City driving will bump that up to mid 6's. (low 7's when the wife drives lol).

Just a question. Am I correct in guessing that the LV TDCI hasn't got instantaneous consumption figures? The only figure I can go off is the 'average usage' which doesn't really give figures constantly updated on the go.
I think thats correct because mine won't give instantaneous, take it to redline and drive like a moron and it'll just still show the average.
Old 13-03-2011, 05:49 PM   #8
Dustproof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbodiesel
I averaged around 7.5L/100km when burning around the Marulan track flat out.

That does sound high Dustproof, to get that consumption it would have to be 90% stop-start city driving I reckon.
I work 6 km's from home so I expect a little extra consmption, I do offset it by driving longer distances on weekends. I would say 6.5 would be about right, my manual did this every day so 7.3 is crap. I went for a nice drive out to Windsor today to look at a Fiesta for my wife on a full tank of Vortex Premium, the dash average readings is 6.7 driving at between 60 and 80Kph with the Aircond on with very light traffic. At no time did I accelerate abruptly or floor it, I think they might need to re-flash the ECU during first service. I also see the auto shifting a little too high and 5th at 60Kph is not possible unless in manual mode, it will change to 5th at just under 70Kph, 6th will occur just under 80kph. It would be much better if the 5th gear change was at just under 60kph so when at this speed you can get good fuel economy.
Old 13-03-2011, 11:32 PM   #9
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Does the TDCI have a fuel warning light?
Old 15-03-2011, 10:53 PM   #10
wizamc

Default Re: TDCi Fuel Economy

it certainly does... Big orange thing, and it beeps at you, you can't miss it.

Beeps at 80kms, 40kms, 20kms and 0km (yes I have heard all of em after 1000kms and still had managed to only put 50l back in the tank)
wizamc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-03-2011, 01:28 PM   #11
timace

I've got an '09 LV and I'm currently getting 6.4-6.5 around the city with a bit of motorway and highway driving.

Best I've had was 4.2 coming back from Bundanoon along the Hume

Can't complain - except for the ludicrous Diesel price at the moment!
Local Caltex is at 157.9 :\
Old 25-03-2011, 09:05 PM   #12
Dustproof

Quote:
Originally Posted by timace
I've got an '09 LV and I'm currently getting 6.4-6.5 around the city with a bit of motorway and highway driving.

Best I've had was 4.2 coming back from Bundanoon along the Hume

Can't complain - except for the ludicrous Diesel price at the moment!
Local Caltex is at 157.9 :\
Is this a Powershift or 6 speed Manual? My manual got 4.4 on a run and about 6.5 around town. My Powershift is still pretty ordinary with a combined Hwy and City driving at 6.6 over nearly 400km's. I am sending it in for Service on Tuesday and I am going to get them to check the program and see if they can adjust the shift points for 5th gear.