Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 08-08-2011, 12:38 PM   #1
TK-421

Default AU Dash Questions.

Hi

just a few questions regarding my dash guages. Firstly the park brake warning light stays on, the hand brake is definitely functioning properly.

I would like to fit a set of Tickford guages in place of the AU 1 Forte unit. apart from the oil pressure sender unit what else is required?

Would replacing the standard dash bulbs with pure white led's be too much on the eye?

thanks for reading.

TK-421 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2011, 08:09 PM   #2
V3RSAC3
... Fear it!

Default Re: AU Dash Questions.

Had the same problem with my handbrake light years ago. What it is, is next to your handbrake there is a wire, you can see it between the seat, and that controls the light if pulled. The possible problem is that the wire has come off of it's little clip. Depends how small your hands are if you can just clip it back over. If not, a mechanic can!

As for the Dash, I'll check my Fairmont and Futura and let you know!
Chrysler 300C Sedan
SY Territory Ghia
V3RSAC3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2011, 08:11 PM   #3
XRGhia
meh.
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Contributions in the technical arena. 

Only the oil pressure sensor is required mate

There's a guide on here on installing an AU High Series (XR) Cluster into an AU, and it should be around the top of the general AUFalcon.com section
Old 08-08-2011, 08:29 PM   #4
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

you can download a doc with all the required pinouts from my server http://www.hunterit.net/cluster.doc

if you are using a S2 or 3 cluster don't change the oil sender

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO

Last edited by FGII-XR6; 08-08-2011 at 08:45 PM.
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-08-2011, 01:13 PM   #5
TK-421

The wire on the hand brake is still attached so will have to investigate further.

As for wiring in the guages does Pin 23 ABS Check Open Collector pin 8 on low cluster Tan / Light Blue need to be done, as like the owner my car doesnt have abs?

thanks for the replies.
Old 09-08-2011, 01:15 PM   #6
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntechAU
As for wiring in the guages does Pin 23 ABS Check Open Collector pin 8 on low cluster Tan / Light Blue need to be done, as like the owner my car doesnt have abs?

thanks for the replies.
as far as I know all AUs had ABS best to do it just in case

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Rides:

Old 09-08-2011, 03:01 PM   #7
james22
With da Warlords

Quote:
Originally Posted by au3xr6
as far as I know all AUs had ABS best to do it just in case
Nope. they certainly don't. My old car (mrs now) AU2 - Falcon 'S' Manual - No ABS

Seems to be optional on some models...

http://www.redbook.com.au/used-cars/details.aspx?R=56616&__Qpb=1&Cr=5&__Ns=p_Make_Stri ng|0||p_ClassificationType_String|0||p_Family_Stri ng|0||p_Year_String|1||p_SequenceNum_Int32|0&__N=2 994%204294961316%204294843582%204294965872&silo=13 00&seot=1&__Nne=15&trecs=39&__sid=131AED94126D

For Sale: Parachute. Only used once, never opened, small stain.

Windsor Warlords
AU III XR-8220
300+ rwhp of Manual fun

XR50T Ute - 300rwkw (give or take depending on the day)
james22 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-08-2011, 06:33 PM   #8
XRGhia
meh.
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Contributions in the technical arena. 

Some "Forte" Model's, and AU XR6's didn't get ABS...

No cruise control - No ABS....
Old 11-08-2011, 07:37 PM   #9
TK-421

I made up this diagram of the back of the AU 1 Ticky dash, can anyone point out how the pins are numbered?

Old 18-08-2011, 08:42 PM   #10
TK-421

I got the new cluster in along with an oil pressure switch and everything is working as it should be. One issue that existed before the swap was the red fan light continuously flashing, it is still happening so figure the problem isnt in the cluster. There is no sensor in the resevoir, water level and temperature are both fine??
Old 18-08-2011, 08:48 PM   #11
XRGhia
meh.
Donating Member3

Yeah, you just need to remove the globe... I had the same issue when I installed my EF XR6 Cluster into my EF GLi...
Old 18-08-2011, 09:22 PM   #12
rowan194
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I got the new cluster in along with an oil pressure switch and everything is working as it should be.
Did you end up going with the white LEDs for cluster illumination? I've tried out 3 different kinds of T5 LEDs over about as many years... first two started failing within months, still waiting to see if this batch last.

In my cluster there's a blue filter to make the yellowish light from the incandescents more white, which means that a more pure white LED will light up the cluster in blue. If your stock cluster has white illumination then it probably also has the filter in it.
rowan194 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2011, 09:46 PM   #13
TK-421

No i havent changed to LED's as yet......where did you get yours from?

I will give them a go though as theyre not that expensive and easy to change.
Old 29-08-2011, 09:19 PM   #14
TK-421

I have finally been able to drive the car over the last few days since the swap and have noticed the economy button not illuminating or changing modes. Could this be due to the cluster swap?
Old 30-08-2011, 04:07 PM   #15
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
I have finally been able to drive the car over the last few days since the swap and have noticed the economy button not illuminating or changing modes. Could this be due to the cluster swap?
Yep. Same with my car. Cars with the Tickford dash (ala XRs) had the adaptive shift. The lower grade vehicles got the economy mode.

It will still switch modes (or at least it should), it's just that you won't have a record of it on the dash. I did it with my S1 Wagon today.

Annoying yes, but a small price to pay for the better dash IMO.

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2011, 08:34 PM   #16
TK-421

Quote:
Originally Posted by GK
Yep. Same with my car. Cars with the Tickford dash (ala XRs) had the adaptive shift. The lower grade vehicles got the economy mode.

It will still switch modes (or at least it should), it's just that you won't have a record of it on the dash. I did it with my S1 Wagon today.

Annoying yes, but a small price to pay for the better dash IMO.

GK
I will have to check if the economy mode is functioning without the cluster light functioning. Thanks for posting that.
Old 31-08-2011, 09:30 PM   #17
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

don't try putting blue LEDs in a S2 or 3 cluster. the dials look great but you can't see the red needles as the blue light won't light them up. only way to get blue in a S2/3 is to put a blue filter behind the appropriate part of the dials leaving the red parts of the dials unfiltered

Rides:

Old 31-08-2011, 10:28 PM   #18
TK-421

Quote:
Originally Posted by au3xr6
don't try putting blue LEDs in a S2 or 3 cluster. the dials look great but you can't see the red needles as the blue light won't light them up. only way to get blue in a S2/3 is to put a blue filter behind the appropriate part of the dials leaving the red parts of the dials unfiltered
My new cluster has 98 sticker on it, presumably out of an AU1 and classified as a mid series cluster. I have heard the colored led's dont light up the complete cluster so would probably avoid them.