Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 21-12-2011, 07:53 PM   #1
TheZHLANE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Hoon, how much is the fine (w.a)

As the title reads, how much is the "hooning fine" (excessive noise and smoke), not the towing and storage fee?

Cheers

TheZHLANE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-12-2011, 09:12 PM   #2
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Hoon, how much is the fine (w.a)

Depends on a few things. If it goes to court, what you are exactly being charged with. Need more info.
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-12-2011, 09:40 PM   #3
TheZHLANE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Have a court summons, charged with (excessive noise and smoke) . pulled out from a corner and rapidly accelerated, squeeled the wheels a bit.
Old 22-12-2011, 12:21 AM   #4
XF Falcon
[FORCED]

I've been summoned too for Excessive Noise and Smoke here in Perth in the last few weeks too.

Provided your record is pretty clean, the mandatory fine is 3 points and $600 fine. It will also cost about $900 for the towing/impound of your car for the 28 days.
Old 22-12-2011, 12:25 AM   #5
falconnut
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

That sucks, i always drive normal around the coppas.

Does NSW/QLD have anything similar in effect?
falconnut is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2011, 12:28 AM   #6
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheZHLANE
As the title reads, how much is the "hooning fine" (excessive noise and smoke), not the towing and storage fee?

Cheers
ROAD TRAFFIC ACT 1974 - SECT 62A
62A . Causing excessive noise, smoke
A person who wilfully drives a motor vehicle on a road or in a carpark so as to cause —

(a) excessive noise to be made with one or more of the vehicle’s tyres; or

(b) smoke to come from one or more of the vehicle’s tyres or a substance on the driving surface,

commits an offence.

Penalty: 12 PU.

This means 12 penalty units and 1 penalty unit is $50, thats 600 big ones I'm afraid for first offence, and thats the minimum, Magsitrate can make it higher if he/she wants.

Lucky they didnt go you for Reckless, minimum 2 grand and 9 months suspension plus losing your car.

Good luck with the Court appearance and hope you get the minimum.
Old 22-12-2011, 12:29 AM   #7
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by falconnut
That sucks, i always drive normal around the coppas.

Does NSW/QLD have anything similar in effect?
......... and around everyone else you drive abnormally? Glad your in QLD as we have enough in Vic to keep us wary.

Yes .... all states do.

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2011, 12:37 AM   #8
falconnut
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auslandau
......... and around everyone else you drive abnormally? Glad your in QLD as we have enough in Vic to keep us wary.

Yes .... all states do.
NSW Actually.

I dont drive like a dick around normal drivers if thats what you mean.
Old 22-12-2011, 12:43 AM   #9
falconboy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheZHLANE
pulled out from a corner and rapidly accelerated, squeeled the wheels a bit.
If that is an accurate description of the situation and it was done due to needing to pull out during a small window of opportunity you could argue that you did not do it 'wilfully'. You'd want to be bloody sure though otherwise the magistrate could make an example of you. If you were hooning, even to a small extent, then be sorry and take what's coming.

Edit: Sorry, I know that's not answering the question asked, but just pretend I'm your father for a minute. LOL
Old 22-12-2011, 12:48 AM   #10
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydee
ROAD TRAFFIC ACT 1974 - SECT 62A
62A . Causing excessive noise, smoke
A person who wilfully drives a motor vehicle on a road or in a carpark so as to cause —

(a) excessive noise to be made with one or more of the vehicle’s tyres; or

(b) smoke to come from one or more of the vehicle’s tyres or a substance on the driving surface,

commits an offence.

Penalty: 12 PU.

This means 12 penalty units and 1 penalty unit is $50, thats 600 big ones I'm afraid for first offence, and thats the minimum, Magsitrate can make it higher if he/she wants.

Lucky they didnt go you for Reckless, minimum 2 grand and 9 months suspension plus losing your car.

Good luck with the Court appearance and hope you get the minimum.
If that's the definition, and all you did was a chirp, then fight it on the grounds of the definition of excessive noise. The following is the definition of excessive news as it applies to Qld OH&S, and argue that your small chirp could in no way cause any of the effects listed (source = http://www.deir.qld.gov.au/workplace...ts/index.htm):

What are the effects of excessive noise?
Health risks of noise exposure

Exposure to noise in our work environment causes a number of physiological and psychological responses. Noise can have the following effects:

Annoyance and speech interference
Interference with concentration and thought processes
Sleep disturbance
Fatigue and aggression
Reduced immune response
Heart disease

The body's automatic nervous system attempts to adjust the body functions by:

increasing the heart rate and raising the blood pressure
releasing the hormones adrenalin and cortisol.

Adrenalin prepares the body's 'fight or flight' reaction and cortisol prepares the body for stress. However, prolonged high levels of adrenalin and cortisol under stressful working conditions may lead to more serious health effects. Some of the main effects are:

raised blood pressure
acceleration of heart rate
stress which can lead to irritability and headaches
hypertension increasing the risk of strokes and heart attacks, reduced white blood cell count
reduced immune response
gastric ulcers.

These effects can happen with both high and low level noise exposures in the workplace.

High level noise may initially cause dull hearing with perhaps ringing in the ear as well. With regular exposures, this will lead to loss of hearing as well as health effects.

Low level noise experienced as annoying or as interfering with activities or concentration, causes stress and similar health effects as high level noise.

Effective noise control measures have a positive effect on people. They increase a sense of well being and privacy which in turn results in a greater acceptance of the work environment.
How is a person's hearing damaged?

Damage to hearing generally occurs gradually over a number of years and may remain unnoticed until it is too late.

Exposure to excessive noise is cumulative. If you have already been exposed to excessive noise at work and then expose yourself to more noise during gardening, hobby or leisure activities (including listening to MP3 players at high volume), your chances of sustaining noise induced hearing loss are substantially increased.

Noise induced hearing loss is slow and painless and is permanent. There is no cure but it can be prevented.

Some indicators that your hearing may be at risk:

Raising your voice in a noisy workplace when you are talking to someone about one metre away from you.
Your hearing sounds dull at the end of the working shift.
Ringing in the ears (tinnitus) during or after work.

Hearing can also be damaged immediately by exposure to impulsive noise such as from explosive powered nail guns, firearms, stamping presses and forges.

The hair cells in the inner ear are destroyed by loud noise. Once they are destroyed they do not grow back.

As we get older our ability to hear high pitched sounds deteriorates naturally but with exposure to too much noise the ability to hear high pitched sounds is greatly decreased. People with noise induced hearing loss often say that they can hear someone talking but cannot understand them as they can no longer hear the high pitched letters like F, S, T, K, C.

Noise induced hearing loss leads to communication problems. Relationships with loved ones, family, friends and work colleagues may also suffer. As a result, the family and others who are close to, or work with, the person with noise induced hearing loss suffer secondary consequences of the condition.

Noise induced hearing loss may result in not being able to hear warning sounds (such as alarms or car horns) or workplace noises such as supervisors giving directions. Work effects include increased absenteeism and lower productivity.

Last updated 28 September 2011
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2011, 12:50 AM   #11
falconnut
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

True, it depends on the context of the action(s) op performed.

You can tell us mate, did you mean to do it or was it a genuine accident?
Old 22-12-2011, 01:04 AM   #12
TheZHLANE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

****ed off so i gave it a boot full.
Old 22-12-2011, 01:15 AM   #13
TheZHLANE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I would guess there would of been some smoke, not like i was sitting on the brake or wrapping doughies, but nevertheless i bet they will treat it the same.
Old 22-12-2011, 01:17 AM   #14
falconnut
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

****ed off at who? The cops or just a randoms....

Either way you would should just take this one on the chin from the sound of your explanation mate.
Old 22-12-2011, 01:20 AM   #15
TheZHLANE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
****ed off at who? The cops or just a randoms....

Either way you would should just take this one on the chin from the sound of your explanation mate.
****ed off at the random idiots blocking up carpark/ carpark intersection, so i gave it a tromp to said speed limit, wheels did squeel but not for very long at all.

I will take it on the chin.
Old 22-12-2011, 01:24 AM   #16
falconnut
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Good man, best of luck mate, thanks for been honest.
Old 22-12-2011, 01:26 AM   #17
TheZHLANE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Good man, best of luck mate, thanks for been honest.
Lieing wont get you anywhere, and i hate liars :P
Old 22-12-2011, 01:33 AM   #18
falconnut
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I see what your going to do there ;)
Old 22-12-2011, 02:08 AM   #19
dawsman
FG GT 335 Owner

Someone I know got done a couple of years back for the same offence (WA). $300 fine plus court costs (~$120) and a conviction was recorded. Luckily their car wasn't impounded. I'm not sure what the "standard" fine was back then, but they showed evidence of no offences or infringements in the past 5 years so that may have reduced the fine.

People always seem to be more concerned about the fine, whereas I would be more concerned about the conviction (=criminal record). In most cases a traffic conviction like this will not cause any major problems, perhaps just higher insurance premiums for a while. However if the persons job involves driving and requires a traffic certificate then they may have issues.

Personally, I would either get a lawyer or be prepared to represent myself properly and ask for a Section 10 bond (spent conviction). In the case of the excessive noise/smoke charge, it would be worth trying yourself. Attend the hearing, plead guilty and then ask for the spent conviction. Ask 2-3 people you know to write a good character reference and specifically state that your actions were "out of character". Also provide evidence of a good driving record (traffic infringement/conviction history), assuming your record isn't bad, to support your case.

Good luck with it.

TOY: 2011 FG GT 335 #0498, Nitro, 6sp MANUAL, 18% tint, Herrod K&N Filter, Herrod-JLT oil breather, Manta twin 3" s/s cat-back exhaust, Shockworks adjustable coilovers, R-Spec wheels (build thread)

DAILY: 2015 PXII Ranger Wildtrak, Pride Orange, 6sp auto, tech pack (pics here)

BEFORE: 2005 Mercury Silver BF XR8 ZF Auto, 20% tint, custom 2.5" cat-back exhaust, Advanti Zeta 19" wheels (found it!)
dawsman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2011, 02:17 AM   #20
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawsman
Someone I know got done a couple of years back for the same offence (WA). $300 fine plus court costs (~$120) and a conviction was recorded. Luckily their car wasn't impounded. I'm not sure what the "standard" fine was back then, but they showed evidence of no offences or infringements in the past 5 years so that may have reduced the fine.

People always seem to be more concerned about the fine, whereas I would be more concerned about the conviction (=criminal record). In most cases a traffic conviction like this will not cause any major problems, perhaps just higher insurance premiums for a while. However if the persons job involves driving and requires a traffic certificate then they may have issues.

Personally, I would either get a lawyer or be prepared to represent myself properly and ask for a Section 10 bond (spent conviction). In the case of the excessive noise/smoke charge, it would be worth trying yourself. Attend the hearing, plead guilty and then ask for the spent conviction. Ask 2-3 people you know to write a good character reference and specifically state that your actions were "out of character". Also provide evidence of a good driving record (traffic infringement/conviction history), assuming your record isn't bad, to support your case.

Good luck with it.
He has a good point, if you're clean you can apply for a spent conviction and then you dont have to declare it to your insurance company. If however you already have a record it is most unlikely that you will get a spent conviction.
When you front Court and if you plead guilty try and be remorseful, acknowledge it was bad judgement and ask that you get the minimum fine as it was a minor indescretion and can I have a spent conviction please. Cant hurt to ask then you still have a clean slate.
Old 22-12-2011, 10:08 AM   #21
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XF Falcon
Provided your record is pretty clean, the mandatory fine is 3 points and $600 fine. It will also cost about $900 for the towing/impound of your car for the 28 days.
wow seems excessive.
talk about a hand cut off for stealing a loaf of bread!
Old 22-12-2011, 10:24 AM   #22
Kryton

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie muscle
wow seems excessive.
talk about a hand cut off for stealing a loaf of bread!
What a crock.
Dont drive like a D.H and you wont get yourself in trouble.
What if he had lost control and ploughed through a bunch of people or a shop - excessive then?
Grow up.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2011, 11:00 AM   #23
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by davway
What a crock.
What if he had lost control and ploughed through a bunch of people or a shop - excessive then?
Grow up.
yes mum.......
pottery beige is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2011, 11:07 AM   #24
GazzF6
Perth WA
Donating Member1

Good luck buddy, being honest will help the situation, I'm sure there are plenty of people on here that have had similar issues in car parks, roundabouts, etc and blasted the horn, or given others the bird etc.

2016 Jaguar XE Black Pack R-Sport
GazzF6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2011, 12:14 PM   #25
FPV+fteT3
Performance Inc.

Good luck with it mate just got unlucky.....everyone enjoys a good skid....well almost everyone

FPV Super Pursuit Build no 0080/91
Lotus Exige S/C S240

Kart Hasse Chassis 100J Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Rental cars, the equipment of choice to get to destinations where 4WDs fear to drive......
FPV+fteT3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2011, 04:15 PM   #26
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You are lucky you in W.A. In Victoria if you did that and got busted, its around 3 month licence suspension, plus impound for 30 days, Cost is about $900 to get the car out and the fine from court around $400 plus.
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2011, 07:45 PM   #27
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Nothing against the OP, but if they were driving a Commodore, the leeches on this forum would be all over him like a rash and this thread would be closed by now.

So why are the leeches staying away and the thread still open?

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
svo supporter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2011, 08:23 PM   #28
falconnut
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I didnt assume OP was driving a ford anyway, whats your point?
Old 22-12-2011, 08:53 PM   #29
TheZHLANE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by davway
What a crock.
Grow up.
Sorry champ, i know how to drive a car in a straight line, no tyre marks on the road so it proves the was little or no smoke.
Old 22-12-2011, 10:08 PM   #30
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Quote:
I didnt assume OP was driving a ford anyway, whats your point?

Anything to do with hooning on this forum, automatically the leeches come out, making comments to do with typical Commodore drivers. So far, zippo about it.

One could also assume, the OP was driving a Ford, as that's the brand of cars he has in his profile. I could be wrong. But I could guarantee, should the word Commodore appear in the profile, or the thread, the leeches would be over it, like a rat up a drain pipe.

Also, the mods usually close threads associated with this sort of behaviour. Still open. Why????

And where have I previously quoted you??? I'm making general comments related to this sort of topic on this forum.

Is that alright by you lord master????

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
svo supporter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post