Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 13-03-2012, 11:45 AM   #1
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Exclamation ACCC may ban discount fuel dockets

Watchdog may ban discount fuel dockets

by: Robyn Ironside From: The Courier-Mail March 13, 2012 12:02AM

CRACKDOWN: The Australian Competition and Consumer Commission is looking into the impact of the discounts on independent service stations. Source: The Courier-Mail
SHOPPER docket discounts for fuel may be banned as a result of a new investigation by Australia's consumer watchdog.

SHOPPER docket discounts for fuel may be banned as a result of a new investigation by Australia's consumer watchdog. The Australian Competition and Consumer Commission is looking into the impact of the discounts on independent service stations with a view to cracking down on the practice.

In a letter to the Motor Trades Association of Queensland, ACCC enforcement operations manager Scott Gregson said they were seeking information from a number of independent fuel retailers ``particularly affected by the fuel shopper docket arrangements''.

The information sought includes the volume and value of fuel sales during specific shopper docket promotions and whether the retailers changed their prices to match those of Coles and Woolworths' outlets.

The MTAQ sought an investigation following a summer discounting war between the retail giants that saw motorists offered up to 20 cents a litre off.

Chair of the Service Stations and Convenience Store Association of Queensland Tim Kane said it was now up to the ACCC to do its job.

"For too long the ACCC has stood back and watched as service stations have closed and prices have gone crazy,'' he said.

Old 13-03-2012, 11:54 AM   #2
Paxton
Cobblers!

Default Re: ACCC may ban discount fuel dockets

No such thing as cheap Petrol. Fuel went up an average of 4¢/litre the day Woolworths and Coles decided to offer their fuel discounts.

I don't care either way, any more - my cars either go to BP or Mobil (7/11).
Roses are red. Violets are blue. OS X rocks. Homage to you.
Paxton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2012, 12:01 PM   #3
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Alan Jones on 2GB has been hammering the new ACCC head about this. Apparently Coles and Woolies got an examption to the law (can't remember the correct wording, but when you hear it as written, shopper dockets fit into what they describe and are well and truly illegal).

Predatory pricing can be added to that list against the 'big 2' only problem is that proving it is nigh impossible. (Same thing happened when they tried to investigate petrol price collusion if memory serves - no proof?)

Even if it is blatently obvious....
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2012, 12:13 PM   #4
Miss_XR6

I have never used a shopper docket for the 4c off the fuel

Fuel cost - $1.45L 60L = $87
with docket - $1.41 60L = $84.6

Not really saving that much unless your filling up every second day or so
Miss_XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2012, 12:18 PM   #5
FreddyDUZ747
Banned

If you get the docket but paid more per item than possibly elsewhere it could work out not in ones favour.
FreddyDUZ747 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2012, 12:18 PM   #6
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss_XR6
I have never used a shopper docket for the 4c off the fuel

Fuel cost - $1.45L 60L = $87
with docket - $1.41 60L = $84.6

Not really saving that much unless your filling up every second day or so
But to the people who do, that $2.40 is a 'free' coffee, or $XX(X) over a period of months or years.

Buy some bread / milk / paper (as many of us do anyway), or a couple of ice-creams and that saving becomes 8c.

It really does add up when you have a 100+ litre tank... certainly not an amount to be sneezed at.
Old 13-03-2012, 12:22 PM   #7
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddyDUZ747
If you get the docket but paid more per item than possibly elsewhere it could work out not in ones favour.
Yes, but for the people who shop there they will be paying that anyway... while I hate the idea, and I know we pay for it anyway by way of a tiny mark-up on each in-store item, the idea is brilliant.

But sadly, it will kill the small players...

I used shopper dockets every now and again, but only if it's convienient... If I can save a few dollars without going out of my way, I will.
Old 13-03-2012, 12:33 PM   #8
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva
But to the people who do, that $2.40 is a 'free' coffee, or $XX(X) over a period of months or years.

Buy some bread / milk / paper (as many of us do anyway), or a couple of ice-creams and that saving becomes 8c.

It really does add up when you have a 100+ litre tank... certainly not an amount to be sneezed at.
As I have said in other threads, remember who you are dealing with. You only have an illusion of saving money.

The ONLY reason the discounts exist is to get you into the supermarket where they screw you on other items.

The collateral damage are the other servos (along with our milk producers bakers, farmers etc. etc.)

Coles and Woolies are not nice people and are the first to scream if they think they are being disadvantaged. I do not buy anything from either of them unless I have no choice.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2012, 12:35 PM   #9
Miss_XR6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva

$2.4 thats a cheap coffee....... I got a Hot chocolate in the CBD last thursday with all that torrential rain and it cost me $4.5 lol

For some it me work out but for most of us it doesnt
Old 13-03-2012, 12:48 PM   #10
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
As I have said in other threads, remember who you are dealing with. You only have an illusion of saving money.

The ONLY reason the discounts exist is to get you into the supermarket where they screw you on other items.

The collateral damage are the other servos (along with our milk producers bakers, farmers etc. etc.)

Coles and Woolies are not nice people and are the first to scream if they think they are being disadvantaged. I do not buy anything from either of them unless I have no choice.
I know, and I'm the same. Problem is, when something is advertised at a huge discount at one of the 'big 2' you can't help but go.

The majority of us buy things it Woolies / Coles owned stores as well as their affiliates, so if you do or don't use the dockets, you are still paying for the subsidised fuel in each item you buy anyway.

I have worked for Woolies and Coles for several years during high school and Uni... I know they are not nice people haaaa.
Old 13-03-2012, 12:54 PM   #11
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The big 2 have taken most of the petrol market with the docket schemes, then can put the prices of fuel up overall.

Sure the volume of independents are down, but prices are up, so per litre they are making more $.

Independents are happy to have prices up, volume would be their problem.
EDManual is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2012, 01:09 PM   #12
BA-XT
2003 BA Falcon XT

I find the Safeway fuel to be par with my local BP / 7 Eleven / United, but save 4c. So if the ACCC scrap the 4c, what is it going to prove? If Safeway and Coles do put up their prices on sime items, I doubt those items will be decreased.

Why isn't the ACCC concentrating more on the excessive fluctuations in fuel (especially LPG) instead of the this?

Shop a dockets are actually a benifit for the consumer

IMPCO LPG Vapour Injection.

DETAILING
Meguiar's NXT Car Wash
Collonite #845 Insulator Wax
Bowden's Own Happy Ending & Fully Slick
Chemtech CT-18 Truck Wash (Wheels & Chassis)
Bowden's Own Wheely Clean & Tyre Sheen
Bowden's Own Three Way Paint Decontamination Spray

OILS AND FILTERS
Nulon Full Synthetic 10w-40
Nulon Long Life Coolant
Ryco Oil & Air Filters

My Instagram Account: @ba_falcon2003
BA-XT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2012, 01:11 PM   #13
Kryton

The only problem is, if the discount dockets are banned, the price of petrol wont drop the 4cpl that its already been marked up.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2012, 01:13 PM   #14
RedHotGT
Long live the Falcon GT

The idea of fuel discounting by the Coles/Woolworths brand is brilliant - because they got in ages ago and now people are used to the system.

Why it is brilliant - isn't why you think...

Ok - so john and jane do their shopping at Woolworths (which they were probably going to do that anyway) and get their discount voucher. It ensures that they will buy Woolworths petrol to save that staggering $2.00 a week - which is hardly worth it - even long term. BUT - you only have to buy 1 single add-on item at the register at the servo for the profits to increase. The 600ml bottle of coke at $4.00 is way more expensive than the (sometimes attached) supermarket will sell. They buy that product at supermarket rates (which other competing servos do not) and because you're trained into over-paying for items at convenience stores (7/11 etc) then you do it.

Brilliant... But wait that's not the best bit...

The clever part is - the higher the cost of fuel - then the less discount they have to offer (on a % basis).

So - at $1.00 a litre with a 4c discount - they are giving you a 4% discount...
But - at $1.50 a litre with a 4c discount - they are giving you 2.6% discount...
As fuel gets more expensive (and you are more likely to WANT a discount) they actually give you less of a discount (based on percentage) which is great for them...
So - at $1.75 a litre with a 4c discount - 2.3% discount...

SO - in conclusion...
As fuel goes up - The supermarket actually makes much more money (and again - based on % not dollars - which is what the numbercrunchers look at) and the discount will be in more demand - all because of their brilliant formula...

And perhaps THAT is why the ACCC wants to stop it now...
Old 13-03-2012, 01:34 PM   #15
XBROO
Obsessed with wheels

I used to use the dockets but found woolies fuel to be crap so I don't bother anymore and thinking of shopping at audi. On another note my local IGA offers 4 cents a liter of your shopping bill. So you bring a docket from any servo and they'll give you 4 cents a liter at the register. Good on ya IGA now all the little guys can have a chance.
XBROO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2012, 03:07 PM   #16
Chopped
as in chopped

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist

They just want to be our friends Flappist.

Example >

Coles & Woolies buy their food so fresh that they have to keep it frozen for 12 months before they decide to sell it.

Coles & Woolies also have shown dairy farmers that it is more important to sell at a "price point" rather than the farmer trying to do silly things like cover costs and make a profit.

Coles & Woolies are dropping "known brands" and replacing them with their own brands. This stops having to choose which brand is best value (very time consuming).

Woolworths only made only 2 billion dollars (net profit) in 2011, so it is not as though they are ripping us off....
Old 13-03-2012, 03:15 PM   #17
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Chopped..most of the home brands taste like xxxx!!!
Old 13-03-2012, 03:16 PM   #18
Miss_XR6

And now woolies have said if you purchase anything from them and its off/stale or not fresh u get a refund no questions asked
Old 13-03-2012, 03:22 PM   #19
Chopped
as in chopped

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8
Chopped..most of the home brands taste like xxxx!!!
This XXXX ?!

R U Sure
Old 13-03-2012, 04:08 PM   #20
Bobman
Regulator

Best to beat them at their own game.

Also, removal of shopper dockets wouldn't make you save anymore at the petrol stations. It's an illusion!

Current Cars:
2000 AU2 Fairmont (2019-current)
2003 BA1 Falcon Divvy Van (2017-current)
2009 VW Mk6 Golf 118TSi (2020-current)
Previous Cars:
2003 MCX10R Avalon VXi (2017-2020)
1995 EF1 Falcon GLi (2016-2019)
1997 XH2 Falcon Van OPT20 (2016-2019)
2006 BF Fairlane Ghia (2013-2018)
2001 AU3 Futura (2010-2013)
1996 EL Fairmont (2008-2010)
2004 BA XR6 (2005-2008)
2001 AU2 Forte (2005-2006)
1988 EA Fairmont Ghia (2003-2005)
1984 AR Telstar TX5 Ghia (2001-2005)
Bobman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2012, 05:14 PM   #21
ute83
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I can see that if petrol was 4c dearer at woolycole, then there would be no benefit, but the indies are mostly the same price and sometimes more expensive than woolycole petrol. Also the two main supermarkets are the cheapest mainstream s/markets around.
ute83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2012, 05:19 PM   #22
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

I don't usually worry about the 4c discount as I'm insured with Coles (Wesfarmers) insurance.

With the insurance I also get roadside assistance and 12cpl discount once a month, which is when I fill up with LPG and Petrol
Old 13-03-2012, 05:25 PM   #23
Miss_XR6

^^^^ My friend just lost her car by coles insurance and hates them lol....
Old 13-03-2012, 05:25 PM   #24
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by ute83
I can see that if petrol was 4c dearer at woolycole, then there would be no benefit, but the indies are mostly the same price and sometimes more expensive than woolycole petrol. Also the two main supermarkets are the cheapest mainstream s/markets around.
funny where i notice coles wollies are 6~8cpl dearer than any other servo.
so with the shopper docket you are still paying 2~4cpl more anyway

the irony is that wollies/caltax are 12cpl on average dearer than mobil. shopper docket aint worth that much..
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2012, 05:33 PM   #25
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss_XR6
^^^^ My friend just lost her car by coles insurance and hates them lol....
How can they lose a car
Old 13-03-2012, 05:39 PM   #26
BigAL_250
and that's how it is

Maybe around you they are, I find in Adelaide that BP is almost always dearer than everyone else, and they often put their prices up first each week. All the other brands seem to only be about a cent of difference between each in a given area.

I've actually managed to get into a good place where I have my discount card attached to another person who shops at woolys, but doesn't get fuel there, so I get free discounts.
2012 Ford FG MkII G6E 2014 -
BigAL_250 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2012, 05:42 PM   #27
Neme
Needav8

Everywhere I go and pay attention (around Penrith etc) the Coles/Woolies servos pre-discount price is the same as all the independents anyways. If Coles/Woolies marked up fuel the 4c to compensate, why did the poor independents follow?

Personally I loved the Xmas discount frenzy. I bought a special at Woolies Liquor, 2 cases of Extra Dry @ $37 each and you got a 30c/L discount on fuel. When I used it to put 145L of Vortex 98 in my Cruiser at a Caltex servo that accepts woolies vouchers, I got a $43 discount!
Old 13-03-2012, 05:46 PM   #28
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopped
This XXXX ?!

R U Sure
no... a word Mods don't allow...
Old 13-03-2012, 05:51 PM   #29
Rambunctious

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnz
funny where i notice coles wollies are 6~8cpl dearer than any other servo.
so with the shopper docket you are still paying 2~4cpl more anyway

the irony is that wollies/caltax are 12cpl on average dearer than mobil. shopper docket aint worth that much..
I agree that applies to north Brisbane as well as the Sunny Coast.
Rambunctious is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2012, 05:56 PM   #30
GhiaEB
2004 TX Territory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neme
Personally I loved the Xmas discount frenzy. I bought a special at Woolies Liquor, 2 cases of Extra Dry @ $37 each and you got a 30c/L discount on fuel. When I used it to put 145L of Vortex 98 in my Cruiser at a Caltex servo that accepts woolies vouchers, I got a $43 discount!
The other week I bought 2slabs of boags premium and got a 35c discount, that was the only time in over a year I went to a woollies/caltex servo

Now a AWD TX Territory Daily
P6 Silver Monarch Weekender

And on 2 Wheels,
ZZR 250

Can do mixer shaft replacement on BA-BF Falcon and SX-SY, fix your heater Today. PM For more details

For sale: Heaps of Territory bits and bobs including front brembo doglegs, NOS I-design territory body kit painted offshore, also FPV 290 engine bits. FS thread here http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11397826 Pm for more details.
GhiaEB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post