Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 29-03-2012, 09:52 AM   #1
aufalco
Alternator

Default AU tail light issue

hi

i have had a problem lately with the rear side tail lights not lighting up, just the red driving lights that are constantly lit up when driving at night, despite the brake lights coming on and working perfectly when the brake pedal is pressed, yet both the spoiler and rear parcel shelf tail driving and brake lights are all working perfectly fine

i also had an issue just before this with the cruise control not setting a cruise speed but turning on fine and registering as active on the dash but then the cruise suddenly started working again perfectly fine before i got a chance to have a look for the problem and it was not long after this i realised the tail lights werent working and i know that the brake pressure switch can mess with the cruise so i thought i should mention it

i rarely drive at night and have been too busy lately to do anything on the car so i havent had a chance to look at the problem properly other than briefly checking the boot wiring and the fuses and such with no luck but was hoping someone here might know the issue so i can fix it quick over easter

cheers

aufalco is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2012, 11:45 AM   #2
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 
Default Re: AU tail light issue

erm, have you changed the bulb?
Old 29-03-2012, 04:53 PM   #3
aufalco
Alternator

if it was the bulb then the brake lights wouldnt work as they use the same bulb...
Old 29-03-2012, 05:03 PM   #4
smally289
growing up is optional

So, which light stays on exactly? Are you saying that when you turn the headlights on the rear lights are too bright?
smally289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2012, 05:13 PM   #5
rowan194
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by aufalco
if it was the bulb then the brake lights wouldnt work as they use the same bulb...
I'm pretty sure the brake lamps use dual filaments, one for tail and one for stop. Inspect the bulb to see if both are intact.
rowan194 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2012, 05:15 PM   #6
aufalco
Alternator

the side rear tail lights do not light up at all unless the brake pedal is pressed, when the brake pedal is pressed then they light up fully but otherwise they are not lit up at all, even though the spoiler and rear console lights work as per normal
Old 29-03-2012, 05:19 PM   #7
aufalco
Alternator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowan194
I'm pretty sure the brake lamps use dual filaments, one for tail and one for stop. Inspect the bulb to see if both are intact.

sorry i thought it was obvious that i had already checked the bulbs lol it was the first thing i did and yes the bulbs have dual filaments and both bulbs are fine and all the filaments are fine
Old 29-03-2012, 05:47 PM   #8
Mr Hardware

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

OP, a visual inspection doesn't always show up faults.

I ask again, have you changed the bulbs?

I used the word changed not checked, with purpose.
Old 29-03-2012, 05:53 PM   #9
aufalco
Alternator

yes when i pulled the bulbs out to check them i tested them in another car and even swapped them with working ones from another car, same problem

i also highly doubt that both bulbs would do the same thing at the same time, although murphy's law is always abundant lol
Old 29-03-2012, 06:48 PM   #10
Mr Hardware

sometimes the pickups in the bottom of the bulb holders in the loom get corroded or burnt or misshapen. check that out too.