Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 04-06-2012, 12:21 AM   #1
IH8HSV
XR6T 400kw(well one day!)

Default The C word

I know this is a depressing subject - but why the hell are so many people getting cancer?

I feel like every time someone get sick it's with cancer. What's going on? Is it something in the air, the things we eat, water we drink or all the wireless signals buzzing around?

Has it been around since man has been on this earth - but we havnt been able to recognise it, or are people getting it more.

I could name many ( including my grandfather who just died ) that never drank or smoke and died of cancer.

Obviously no one here will be able to provide me with a satifying answere. But it just seems to destroying lives everywhere.

Old 04-06-2012, 12:28 AM   #2
05_ENFORCER

Default Re: The C word

Preservatives/lifestyle, everything has changed/evolved.

Get used to it, this disease will be the biggest killer known to man in the next 5-10 yrs before they name it something else

Old 04-06-2012, 12:32 AM   #3
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

As mentioned, it's been round for ages....They're just trying to generate money for research to find cures for all forms of the disease, as well as determine what causes certain kinds and prevent it in the future.

IMA, I'm all for research to find the cure, just in case my quote is taken the wrong way.

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
svo supporter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2012, 12:45 AM   #4
flooded one
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i hate cancer. its claimed me grandmother 5 years ago and my dad only just 6 months ago. i honestly would not wish cancer upon my worst enemy. thing is no one knows what causes cancer. people say they do but they really dont as everyone has the cancer cell in them. it takes just one thing too go wrong and thats it. I know what your going through mate. I miss my dad all the time and he was only 50 when he died from pancreatic cancer. my dad smoked but yet his lungs when the tested them where at 98% and was told that his lungs were better then most people his age. and yet he smoked all his life. they didnt belive dad when he told them how long he smoked for!! i think its just the luck of the draw too be honest. I've been told only 1 in 4 people die a painless death!! Its a pretty scary thought mate. i'm only 28 years old and i honestly thought that my dad would out live me. thats how healthy he was before he got cancer. I'm sorry too hear about your grandad dying. its never a good thing. i too have known a few other people that had died from cancer as well. I really hope they find a cure for this horrible thing. its claimed too many lives that didnt deserve too die
flooded one is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2012, 12:50 AM   #5
Scott

Sorry to hear about your Grand Dad mate.

Thing is, the odd's are people will die from Cancer or Heart Disease, I had the same thoughts as you some time ago and did some googling on the matter. Here's a link from the ABS:http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@....5?opendocument.

Personally, I think Cancer could have been cured by now had treating it not been so lucrative. There has been some pretty encouraging breakthroughs in the past few years, hopefully a cure comes before we all need it eh?
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2012, 12:51 AM   #6
05_ENFORCER

Everyone has the "trigger" it depends on what triggers it IMHO

(and I have been affected by this disease more than once but not personally.........................YET)

Unfortunately not enough gov't/billonaire's/business/non for profit monies have been directed to this and other clinical diseases such as cancer/obesity

Old 04-06-2012, 12:54 AM   #7
MWTB
I'm old and I fell

My old man has cancer, and like wildrider, he's been a smoker all his life yet the doctors say his lungs are perfect. Hopefully they are hereditary and my lungs stay good despite the cigarettes and other substances that find their way into them.

This is a very grim opinion, but I just get the feeling that cancer and a number of other diseases have been cured already and the CDC and other large medicinal and disease control organisations are distributing variants of different treatments, some that will work, some that won't as a measure of population control.

If everyone was suddenly cured of something like cancer or AIDS, the population would explode. People are pushing out babies faster than people are dying, the world's economies would shut down before we could say 'wear a condom'.

It's a bleak outlook, but its something that keeps popping into my head. Whether I believe it or not, I don't know, but it is an interesting thought nonetheless.

82lb injectors, Walbro fuel pump, bigger cooler, Plazmaman piping, SS Growler, tune, ZF tune, Crow valve springs so far.

Ozracing coilovers, Pedders sway bars front and rear.

315rwkw
MWTB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2012, 01:04 AM   #8
OffRoadFalcon
"Flooded it mate?"

It's hard to say whether it's occurring more often or not. Possibly not, we may simply more about it and know what it is, and that the human population is growing at insane rates.

Personally I know more people who've fought it off. Including my granddad and one of my friend's parents. Probably the most tragic would be a young 2nd cousin who got it at 4 years old, and passed away at about 5.
OffRoadFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2012, 01:14 AM   #9
flooded one
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

thats the one i really get upset seeing is when a poor little kid who has cancer. I think that it is so unfair too see a child dying that has done nothing wrong and would otherwise have their whole life in front of them taken away! really makes me upset. its things like this that i often question whats the point of life! me and my missus are planing too have kids soon and that is something i hope we or anyone never has to go through
flooded one is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2012, 01:19 AM   #10
OffRoadFalcon
"Flooded it mate?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildrider
thats the one i really get upset seeing is when a poor little kid who has cancer. I think that it is so unfair too see a child dying that has done nothing wrong and would otherwise have their whole life in front of them taken away! really makes me upset. its things like this that i often question whats the point of life! me and my missus are planing too have kids soon and that is something i hope we or anyone never has to go through
Agreed. It's very sad. Was a very agressive form apparently too, and they knew he didn't have a lot of chances. Unfortunately it happens, and there isn't anything we can do but move on with life. In a way you could say that people often learn a lot about things during and after these experiences.

May as well enjoy it all while your here, never know what's around the corner, and often that's part of the fun of life.
OffRoadFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2012, 01:36 AM   #11
05_ENFORCER

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWTB
My old man has cancer, and like wildrider, he's been a smoker all his life yet the doctors say his lungs are perfect. Hopefully they are hereditary and my lungs stay good despite the cigarettes and other substances that find their way into them.

This is a very grim opinion, but I just get the feeling that cancer and a number of other diseases have been cured already and the CDC and other large medicinal and disease control organisations are distributing variants of different treatments, some that will work, some that won't as a measure of population control.

If everyone was suddenly cured of something like cancer or AIDS, the population would explode. People are pushing out babies faster than people are dying, the world's economies would shut down before we could say 'wear a condom'.

It's a bleak outlook, but its something that keeps popping into my head. Whether I believe it or not, I don't know, but it is an interesting thought nonetheless.
WOW, conspiracy theories.

They have been around for decades, such as the theory that doctors are only here to prolong life to make a lifelong profit?

Get over this idea, real quick.

My $120K worth

Old 04-06-2012, 01:38 AM   #12
MWTB
I'm old and I fell

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05_ENFORCER
WOW, conspiracy theories.

They have been around for decades, such as the theory that doctors are only here to prolong life to make a lifelong profit?

Get over this idea, real quick.

My $120K worth

As I said, only a thought, I never said I believed it.

82lb injectors, Walbro fuel pump, bigger cooler, Plazmaman piping, SS Growler, tune, ZF tune, Crow valve springs so far.

Ozracing coilovers, Pedders sway bars front and rear.

315rwkw

Last edited by flappist; 04-06-2012 at 01:23 PM. Reason: stop the bickering
MWTB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2012, 01:56 AM   #13
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

Something like half my family have it now :( my aunt, an uncle, another uncle, my cousin, my grandmother died of leukemia( which I think is a type of cancer?) my other grandfather died of cancer, my best mates mum has just been diagnosed with breast cancer too. It's a horrible thing, I hope there is something our advanced medical professionals can do about it.
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2012, 07:19 AM   #14
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Nutrition and exercise! People's immune systems are weaker and not as able to fight off diseases including cancer. I believe nothing has changed environmentally to cause it, it is just that people are eating more unhealthy foods, getting little to no exercise, these two factors alone significantly increase the risk of several types of cancer - including prostate, colon, breast, and rectal. Lack of proper nutrition: fiber, deficiency of vitamin A & C, lycopene, excessive intake of red meat. There is a correlation between obesity and cancer. So the two words everybody hates: diet and exercise. When I say diet I mean plan a healthy way of eating, not just consume less food. Or we can all sit around, do nothing, and wait for that magic pill to come along from the pharmaceutical companies....
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2012, 07:54 AM   #15
CFOUR
The Destroyer

The mortality rate isnt dropping but people are just living long enough to develop cancer, modern Medicine has cured many sickness that years past would have taken out those with weaker immune systems years before they devlope cancer. Not to mention that cancer detection has only been around for 60 years improving dramatically the last 25 years. Millions used to die each year from the flu & measles.

Edit:my mum had cancer, my dads family (massive) has zero history of cancer.
Old 04-06-2012, 08:20 AM   #16
Cheese3
The BEST Falcon is the AU

I blame preservatives and vaccines, its like allergies, their wasn't a whole lot around 10-20 years ago but ever man and his dog gets it. But i also don't ever buy food from a supermarket, i grow my own veggies and see a farmer for meat. I dont trust the goverment with what they inject into us via food or "medication" i beleive they are slowing killing us.

But i also am highly into conspiracy and edgy person, so maybe my veiw doesn't count :-)
Cheese3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2012, 08:39 AM   #17
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I keep reading that it's everybody else's fault. The government's, the supermarkets, corporations... Wow, silly me, I thought I was responsible for my own health.
Old 04-06-2012, 08:54 AM   #18
MrsLow006

At some point this thing will touch just about everyone. It is sad to hear the stories here. My gran lived with it for over 30 years losing both breasts and eventually it claimed her. My husband lost both his parents quickly with 9 months of each other and I agree lifestyle seems to play a huge part. Both my husbands parents worked for years with chemicals as did my Gran. With all the scientific advances we still have no cure. Maybe we were not meant to play with mother nature.....On another note, my grandfather who smoked from 10 years of age, died of bowel cancer with lungs healthier than pharlap.
I think our lifestyle, stresses, exposure to new pollution etc play a huge role on the numbers of Cancer cases.
For those that suffer from this evil my thoughts are with you and the family members affected.

XB - ENVY

XB WAGON - Dark Angel
MrsLow006 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2012, 08:54 AM   #19
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Keep it civil guys. There are many here who have lost loved ones to cancer and in fact it has claimed several forum members.

Simple evidence that there is no conspiracy, some of the richest and most powerful people in the world have died from it........
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2012, 08:58 AM   #20
GTP owner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by IH8HSV
I know this is a depressing subject - but why the hell are so many people getting cancer?
Because we are not dying of heart disease and infections like we used to. At the turn of the last century the number of people who died in older age (adults) only just crept ahead of those dying in childhood. In the last century we have seen the population grow much older as we have reduced the mortality of the infectious diseases (better nurtition, sanitation, civil engineering, immunisations etc), and also effectively reduced the mortality rate of heart disease.
Put it this way
200 years ago you would die young (a child) from an infection
100 years ago you would die as a young adult from trauma (war, violence)
50 years ago you would die in middle age from heart disease
Now we die from cancer
In the future we will probably die from neurodegenerative diseases (alzheimers, parkinsons, dementia)

Does that put things into perspective?
E3 chubsport - fully fat (and slow), sitting there waiting for me to get sick of it and sell it.
BA XR6T for a daily
NT Pajero for the bush
XB 4 door project- swallows a BF xr6 turbo

My dad is a generous bloke. He gave away his dead car batteries free of charge....
GTP owner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2012, 09:12 AM   #21
KPCresta
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevypower
Nutrition and exercise! People's immune systems are weaker and not as able to fight off diseases including cancer. I believe nothing has changed environmentally to cause it, it is just that people are eating more unhealthy foods, getting little to no exercise, these two factors alone significantly increase the risk of several types of cancer - including prostate, colon, breast, and rectal. Lack of proper nutrition: fiber, deficiency of vitamin A & C, lycopene, excessive intake of red meat. There is a correlation between obesity and cancer. So the two words everybody hates: diet and exercise. When I say diet I mean plan a healthy way of eating, not just consume less food. Or we can all sit around, do nothing, and wait for that magic pill to come along from the pharmaceutical companies....
This. ^^^

Statistically the amount of Australians that are overweight or obese doesnt help. So many people that have become used to living sedentary lifestyles in modern soceity.

I believe that a healthy lifestyle and eat minimum processed food your chance of getting diagnosed with cancer would be minimal.
KPCresta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2012, 09:37 AM   #22
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPCresta
This. ^^^

Statistically the amount of Australians that are overweight or obese doesnt help. So many people that have become used to living sedentary lifestyles in modern soceity.

I believe that a healthy lifestyle and eat minimum processed food your chance of getting diagnosed with cancer would be minimal.
It is very true, scientifically proven, and not really something most people want to hear because it requires people to change their behavior.
Old 04-06-2012, 10:48 AM   #23
GTP owner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevypower
It is very true, scientifically proven, and not really something most people want to hear because it requires people to change their behavior.
This may be true, but the biggest risk factor is age. For example -It doesn't matter how well you live, prostate cancer is pretty much universal by 90 years of age.
It cannot be emphasised enough though, that smoking is THE biggest risk for the biggest cancer killer, which is lung cancer. Other common risks include drinking alcohol, low fibre diet, lack of physical activity, and genetics.
E3 chubsport - fully fat (and slow), sitting there waiting for me to get sick of it and sell it.
BA XR6T for a daily
NT Pajero for the bush
XB 4 door project- swallows a BF xr6 turbo

My dad is a generous bloke. He gave away his dead car batteries free of charge....

Last edited by GTP owner; 04-06-2012 at 10:58 AM.
GTP owner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2012, 11:04 AM   #24
FreddyDUZ747
Banned

My pop just circum to 4 cancers last week after battling for 8 years.
FreddyDUZ747 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2012, 11:11 AM   #25
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think we are just living longer and testing for more

I have lost friends and family to it and currently my mum is batteling it

But the medicine is good, 18 months ago she was told she had less than 20% chance of making 12 months and if she did that here quality of life wouldn't be great and she would never drive again due to the brain legions, well she got her licence back last week and I haven't seen her looking this health in the last 2+ years (since before we found out she was sick)

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2012, 11:14 AM   #26
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 

Having had and still having cancer cells, this is a topic that is very close to my heart.

Is there an increase in known Cancer cases? Yes. Do they know what causes or "triggers" all forms of it. Simple answer is NO. They know what will set off some types in some people but we as a human race, do not have all the answers.

I think there is some truth to what has been written here. Do I think it has anything to do with diet and excersise, in some cases yes. Do I think it has to do with genes? In some cases, Yes.

You also have to realise that 100 or even 50yrs ago, there was not the technology we have now to detect these things. Science has come a long way, and still has an even longer way to go. Hence, why more cases are now reported, documented and treated.

There is also a lot more toxins in our food, our air, our water then in previous generations. Is this a trigger? Surely common sense would suggest yes but sadly, this disease does not discriminate, and even the healthiest of people can be diagnosed with a form of cancer.

The answer is honestly, that no one knows what will trigger the cells in one person to change and not in another. If we all knew for certain what caused it 100%, we would be a lot further along in having a cure.

It is a horrible thing for someone to have, and I honestly pray that I do not lose another person I care and love about to this horrible thing.

Cheers
Col
Old 04-06-2012, 11:47 AM   #27
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 

Condolences to all AFF members that lost loved one's to this horrible, devastating medical condition.

I watched author David Gillespie get interviewed on tv a little while ago and was impressed with his passion for this subject. He's actually a lawyer by trade (dont let that deter you) His technical knowledge on this subject is what i remember the most and he (plausably) explained why people are getting cancer, something to do at a cellular level with eating low fat products (human body needs full fat cells not half fat cells) i just googled his name and one site come up with this:

Big Fat Lies: How the diet industry is making you sick, fat & poor
Author: David Gillespie
'Diets and exercise won't help us lose weight. Vitamins and minerals are a waste of money and sometimes downright dangerous. Sugar makes us fat and sick. And polyunsaturated fat gives us cancer and works with sugar to give us heart disease. This book exists because I desperately hope that with a little knowledge we can all vote with out feet and change the rules of the game before the game kills us.'

For decades we've been told to eat less, exercise more, eat less saturated fat, eat more polyunsaturated oils, and take vitamin and omega-3 fatty acid supplements. For decades this is what we've done, but the rates of obesity, heart disease, type 2 diabetes, dementia and cancer have never been higher.

The real culprits, David Gillespie tells us, are sugar and polyunsaturated oils. Analysing the latest scientific evidence, he shows us why he outlines a plan to avoid them both without missing out or 'dieting'. Gillespie exposes the powerful role the multibillion-dollar food, health and diet industries have played in promoting the health messages we follow – or feel guilty about not following.

Discovering the truth about diets, exercise, supplements and processed food is your first step towards improved health, greater happiness and a longer life for you and your family.

'Gillespie is an informed and entertaining writer who makes his subject fascinating, and inspires with his passion and logic.'
G MAGAZINE

Im not his publicist but he give's an alternative view on this matter.I cant endorse the contents of the book because i havent purchased the book but its refreshing to see someone standing up to the establishment and telling it "as it is".

ps, I cant say if he's a spokesperson for the farm/agriculture lobby but technically/medically he was saying the right things when i watched his tv interview.

cheers,Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2012, 12:07 PM   #28
macman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think we probably all know someone personally who has lived through or died of cancer.

A work friend and my father have both had cancer a survived (fingers crossed for both it does not make a return). However two of my fellow colleagues have died of cancer in the last two years as well as my mother in law (when my Girlfriend was just 19) and most tragically my cousin who was only a young kid at the time.

I personally think the increase is down to a large combination of the suggestions in this thread so far and will remain on the increase.

Last edited by flappist; 04-06-2012 at 01:21 PM. Reason: enough
macman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2012, 12:20 PM   #29
blownvn
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Diet and exercise huh?

Tell that to my old man, one of the fittest and most active guys you'll ever see. Always on the go, never wants to take a break, just go, go, go all the time.

Pancreatic Cancer, diagnosed dec 2011, now spread to liver and he hasn't got long to live. Doctors have pulled him off Chemo and aren't bothering with radiation. He might make his 62nd birthday in July if we're lucky.

Cancer will and can strike anywhere and anyone. It's a **** disease
blownvn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2012, 12:29 PM   #30
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maka
Condolences to all AFF members that lost loved one's to this horrible, devastating medical condition.

I watched author David Gillespie get interviewed on tv a little while ago and was impressed with his passion for this subject. He's actually a lawyer by trade (dont let that deter you) His technical knowledge on this subject is what i remember the most and he (plausably) explained why people are getting cancer, something to do at a cellular level with eating low fat products (human body needs full fat cells not half fat cells) i just googled his name and one site come up with this:

Big Fat Lies: How the diet industry is making you sick, fat & poor
Author: David Gillespie
'Diets and exercise won't help us lose weight. Vitamins and minerals are a waste of money and sometimes downright dangerous. Sugar makes us fat and sick. And polyunsaturated fat gives us cancer and works with sugar to give us heart disease. This book exists because I desperately hope that with a little knowledge we can all vote with out feet and change the rules of the game before the game kills us.'

For decades we've been told to eat less, exercise more, eat less saturated fat, eat more polyunsaturated oils, and take vitamin and omega-3 fatty acid supplements. For decades this is what we've done, but the rates of obesity, heart disease, type 2 diabetes, dementia and cancer have never been higher.

The real culprits, David Gillespie tells us, are sugar and polyunsaturated oils. Analysing the latest scientific evidence, he shows us why he outlines a plan to avoid them both without missing out or 'dieting'. Gillespie exposes the powerful role the multibillion-dollar food, health and diet industries have played in promoting the health messages we follow – or feel guilty about not following.

Discovering the truth about diets, exercise, supplements and processed food is your first step towards improved health, greater happiness and a longer life for you and your family.

'Gillespie is an informed and entertaining writer who makes his subject fascinating, and inspires with his passion and logic.'
G MAGAZINE

Im not his publicist but he give's an alternative view on this matter.I cant endorse the contents of the book because i havent purchased the book but its refreshing to see someone standing up to the establishment and telling it "as it is".

ps, I cant say if he's a spokesperson for the farm/agriculture lobby but technically/medically he was saying the right things when i watched his tv interview.

cheers,Maka
Very interesting, I find it very intriguing to read all about certain food's and their molecular structure, I am a firm believer of eating Monosaturated Fat's and also polyunsaturated Fat's, but I am also eager to learn more on such subject's.
Do you have any link's to this as I would love to have a read.
galaxy xr8 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post