Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 04-12-2013, 03:51 AM   #1
Silver'
T-Series Club Member Vic

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Excellent write ups on AU technical issues. 
Post AU smartshield remote micro-switch replacement

After 12 years of me mashing away at them, my remotes were getting to the point that they were going to have to be replaced as even after replacing the rubber button pads, you had to push your finger just about through the back of the housing before it worked!

After asking some joker in a Mr Minute or similar key cutting business in the middle of the local mall, and being quoted $120 each, I decided that it probably made sense to look at alternatives!

I spotted some $29 complete aftermarket replacement units on eBay which looked worth a shot. But I also noticed that you could buy two replacement shells with buttons and a set of 6 replacement micro-switches for a total of $32.50. The eBay seller ID was 'cheerocheero'.

Now most people would be quite happy to buy a single remote for $30 and be done with it but if you are a tinkerer like me then you may just want to replace the worn parts and keep the (presumably superior) genuine internal electrics.

It's a bit of a fiddly job, but I managed ok even though I'm generally a bit heavy handed so I expect that most would manage ok and find the process at least half enjoyable

So I thought I'd share.

The old switches in place on the board before I began. These had a very sticky action and no 'click' left at all.

The new switches, as they came from the eBay seller. They only supply 6 so I didn't bother replacing the red panic button - SW4 I think it was labelled on the board.

You'll need a very small screwdriver or similar to lever them while heating the solder points one at a time - the first corner of each one can be tricky. I used the very tip of the soldering iron (not the side at all) for both removing and resoldering the switches and it's important that you don't attack these with a massively hot iron - mine is a cheap cigarette lighter type unit that seems to heat the handle as hot as it does the tip but at least it didn't melt the board!

The first step is to add a little solder to the terminals on the board by simply applying some solder to the iron and then touching it to the terminal long enough for it to flow.

You'll spot my high-tech device for holding the board securely while I work - it's actually great to find a use for used detailing clay bar! I also used some clay to hold the switch when soldering it back onto the board. Again, I used the very tip of the soldering iron and the first one you really only need to get in the right position, then you can go ahead and solder the others while pressing down enough that the switch seats on the board like it's designed to - then go back and revisit the first one, this time pressing it down properly.

One switch completed (SW3) and a second one ready to go.

The results were excellent with the switches now giving a very positive click which I've not felt for years! The interesting thing is that the panic button which has only been pushed once or twice a year (by accident) was in just as bad condition as the others. This is a good thing and I'd be quite happy if the button wasn't there at all as my Mrs never fails to push the big red button while she's in a panic after setting off the alarm

TE2 #116
Build/Maintenance thread here.
www.fte.ford.com.au lives! 2001 2002
Add a T-series to the Registry HERE
Silver' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2013, 03:57 AM   #2
rayban76
AU3 5.0L Fairmont Wagon

Excellent write up mate, my remote is exactly the same so I might give that a try as well ...
Thanks for the great write up.

Ray

5.0L, 2.1l Kenne Bell, Tickford T3 Heads, Crow valve springs, YellaTerra 1.7 Rockers, Comp Cam, Comp D-Row Timing, 10mm LiveWire Leads, LC-1 & Moats Quarterhorse, B&M TransCooler, Walbro 255lph Fuel Pump, King Superlow Coil Springs, John Bowe Superlow Pro Leaf Springs, K&N 4" Pod & CAI, Pacemakers, 100c Cats, 2.5" Redback, 19" FPV Rims, BF-T Prem Brakes, TS50 Bumper with DTRL's, Custom FG Bulge, BA XR Side Skirts/Rear bar

Ford Performance Club of ACT

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
rayban76 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 04-12-2013, 04:13 AM   #3
Silver'
T-Series Club Member Vic

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Excellent write ups on AU technical issues. 
Default Re: AU smartshield remote micro-switch replacement

Links to the current items on eBay, will be out of date soon of course, but may still be useful for someone.

Brand new genuine remotes for $65 + postage.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Keypad-Re...item35b3aa5c81

The button/switches.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/151178763644

A replacement shell/cashing while you're at it.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/4-buttons...item25818b1dc9
TE2 #116
Old 04-12-2013, 06:57 AM   #4
foxtrot3
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical articles. 

Hi. Before changing switches you can try cleaning the existing switches with isopropal alcohol. Cheers MD

HI

I'M MICHAEL

2003 ACID RUSH BA FUTURA WAGON

light up window switches | auto on cruise control | doubleclick window lift from remote
foxtrot3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2013, 01:21 PM   #5
Silver'
T-Series Club Member Vic

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxtrot3 View Post
Hi. Before changing switches you can try cleaning the existing switches with isopropal alcohol. Cheers MD
This sounds like a great idea as they certainly feel like they're gummed up with the lubricant. I'll try this tonight on the fourth button
TE2 #116
Old 05-12-2013, 02:05 AM   #6
Silver'
T-Series Club Member Vic

Thumbs up Re: AU smartshield remote micro-switch replacement

Yep, the isopropyl alcohol on an cotton bud made the (still original) panic button click again. Nowhere as nice an action as the new switches, but it's still a great idea to try this first and about a million times easier ;)
Thanks foxtrot3
TE2 #116