Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 09-12-2013, 08:34 AM   #1
TheAussieStig30

Default I'm sick of spare parts game.

As I get ready for another week of it, I'll share some frustrations of the last week and make you feel better in your job.

Guy rings up for a starter motor in a Honda CR-V. What year is it? I dunno - laughs. Ok, I can't start without a year. 1976 - laughs. Ok. What year is it, really. I dunno, it's not mine. Ok. Call me back when you have all the info for the car mate, I can't even start. Wait wait, it says on the rego papers (it's always good when rego papers are referred to, they have bugger all info on them) 2006. Ok, is it a X or Y model (forget the options now). I dunno. Ok, let's try this way. Is it 2L or 2.4? Dunno, how do I tell? Is it FWD or AWD? FWD. Ok, well it's a 2L then. No, wait, it has CV's on the rear. Well it's AWD then, it can be 2L or 2.4L. No, it's FWD 2.4L. No mate, they haven't made a FWD in 06 with 2.4L and you have CV's in the rear, so it's AWD. Oh ok, well, go with that.

After all that, there is 3 starters listed. No way to tell without physically having the starter in front of me and measuring and counting. I tell the guy on the phone all of this and he says well which one is it? I repeat, pull the starter out, I'll count the teeth, look at pictures and identify it. Yeah but how much is it. Oh great, my suppliers don't have any of them in the country. It might be a 3 day thing or it might take them 6 weeks to get it. I told him I can't price it until I identify it. He says (competition) only want $100 for a new one. I told him to buy it. He asks if I'll better it, or match it. FFS. I tell him there's none in the country and I couldn't even sell a new solenoid for the model that HAS a solenoid for $100 so just go and buy it. He says he wants to buy it from us. (Yeah, because no one quoted him $100 in the first place, or they did to call his bluff and see if he'd hand the money over or go and waste other peoples time)

So, anyway, I say I'm sorry I can't help you on this item, I'll see you later. Can I talk to the boss? You are. No, the guy who owns the place. He's not here, I'm sorry, he only works sat sun. Oh, can I talk to the little red haired fellow? He's left, I'm sorry, I have to go, I have customers and I need to use this line. (30mins on now) oh, so when can you have the starter? Mate, I can't get it, I have to go. Click.

Rings back 10 minutes later and speaks to someone else and asks the same thing. They ask me about it and I show them the 3 pages of scribble I had written with suppliers, part nos, stock, etc, and he says the customer has found one for $100 and wants us to match it. I told the guy just to hang up, it's not worth wasting another 30 mins dicking around.

That's one story, 1 hour of one day last week.

Old 09-12-2013, 08:55 AM   #2
jamies

Default Re: I'm sick of spare parts game.

Easy you say "we can get all three in, but you need to pay for them all" if they're wrong there yours no refunds..." He would of hung up and problem solved. I've been In this game for twenty plus years, ha ha... I set rules in place for my staff with these customers. No VIN no details no confirmation if parts are going to be correct. We won't order any special order parts without payment. This way it keeps your no stock line inventory to a minimum,and sorts out the tyre kickers from the genuine nice people, Who you go out of your way to help. Even after all these years I really enjoy the parts game. After working with Holden,ford and now Toyota,each make has the same type of customers, they all keep us employed.

Last edited by jamies; 09-12-2013 at 09:04 AM.
jamies is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2013, 09:25 AM   #3
mechanic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

One thing I learnt very quickly as a mechanic. The quickest easiest way to get a spare part is to put the old one on the counter in front of the spare part bloke.
Sometimes all the phone calls in the world will still get you nothing but grief.

After a working lifetime dealing with spare parts people I have the utmost respect for them and the job they do and I would be hard pressed to put up with some of the cretins they have to deal with.
mechanic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2013, 09:47 AM   #4
superyob
Banned

I suppose to a member of the general public who has the mechanical understanding of a baboon, if they speak the words, you are supposed to know exactly what they are talking about... Very frustrating indeed!
superyob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2013, 11:15 AM   #5
Ford_The_Win
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Any time you have to deal with the general public is crap regardless of where you work, in my experience. Years ago I used to work for an automotive retailer and some of the stories I could tell you about customers.... liars, thieves, clueless morons, scabs that want everything for nothing, geriatrics, or just plain rude. That's why people who work in retail are so grumpy.
Old 09-12-2013, 01:41 PM   #6
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I bought a WQ Fiesta pollen filter from REPCO...right model etc..Didn't fit...had to go genuine.
REPCO said "it is made from Ford specs"
Old 09-12-2013, 03:14 PM   #7
GQ_Smooth
Long live the inline 6

There is nothing better than spending 1-2 hours helping a courier out on the phone who has f-all information. Give him the part number and pricing.

30min later he calls back asking you to match a price from Supercheap.

Hahahahahaha.

Hers
BFII Ghia
GQ_Smooth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2013, 03:37 PM   #8
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

im bored

i might ring someone up and annoy them
pottery beige is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2013, 03:40 PM   #9
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

The world has all types....

After working in 'face to face' retail for almost 15 years I'm glad I'm out of that game. Some people are just dumb, some are looking for an argument and some will just assume you are wrong and go to the next person....

I served one lady once who insisted that there is a cordless drill that only ever needs to be charged ONCE.. "Oh no, I don't want that one that you need to always charge, I want the one that you charge once and doesn't ever need charging again"...

She wasn't joking either, my boss saw what was going on, stormed up to us, snatched the drill I was showing her from my hand, slammed it into the case and slammed it back on the shelf. Followed by 'We DON'T sell that drill"...

Turns out I was the 5th worker that she had asked that day, each one wasting 10 -15 minutes trying to explain to her that what she wanted didn't exist.

American lady sees me stacking the shelves and asks for a certain item they sell 'back home'. Sorry, I know what you are talking about but don't have it. "Asked me several times if I was sure, to which I replied of course, I work in the department"... She walked off.

After 20 minutes, I notice worker after worker being called to the service desk, 2 department managers and the deputy store manager. There was the lady, with 7 or 8 staff all trying to work out what she was asking for and going off to each section only to return with the wrong item.

I had the craps and went up to her and told her that I already explained that we don't sell what you want.. to which she replied "I thought you were unsure, so I just asked 'a few' other people....

Meh,,, then there are the people who assume I don't understand English (looking very ethnic and working in an area with lits of new arrivals). Got asked for something while I was up on a ladder. Person was talking to my back and didn't bother to say 'excuse me' etc, just asked 'where are the XXX'.

Get down, turn around the face the person and before I had time to reply I got "Doooo youuuuuuu sellllllll the steeeeeel bakiiiing deeeesh (gesturing in a rectangular motion) that XYZ sellllll. Bakiiiing Deeeesh? (assumed I was fresh off the boat and talking like that would make me 'understand' better'). My response, after thinking for 10 seconds was a few sentences using the biggest words and the most formal English I knew, firstly acknowledging that I understood her the first time and that we don't sell what she was after...

I make it a rule that I don't talk to people who talk to my back, and if they ask in a demanding manner I will be extra nice to make them know who rude they are, often replying with 'your welcome' after they walk off without saying thank you.

Ohhh the memories!

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 09-12-2013, 03:48 PM   #10
tranquilized
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hahaha classic. I worked in spare parts at a Ford dealer for a few years, I know exactly what you're talking about.

I used to love this classic -
them - "I want a part for my EF Falcon"
me - "what year is it?"
them - "does it matter?"
me -

But if it makes you feel any better, every job has its petty annoyances that really get to you after a while.
tranquilized is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 09-12-2013, 05:26 PM   #11
Kable72
Parts Interpreter

Mate I feel your pain. I've only been doing this job for 18 months but god damn... The amount of fellas that send their missus in who forget or aren't told the information I need and then when I get an angry phone call that it's the wrong bit.. Sends me insane. Then you get the people that come in with their 20-30 year old car and have a whinge that you can't get genuine parts for it anymore. Just like, mate I don't even have a catalogue for that anymore. "it's a perfectly good car, I've had it since it was new and you're telling me to just throw it away cos you can't get parts for it anymore!??"
4 users like this post:
Old 09-12-2013, 05:29 PM   #12
jamies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kable72 View Post
Mate I feel your pain. I've only been doing this job for 18 months but god damn... The amount of fellas that send their missus in who forget or aren't told the information I need and then when I get an angry phone call that it's the wrong bit.. Sends me insane. Then you get the people that come in with their 20-30 year old car and have a whinge that you can't get genuine parts for it anymore. Just like, mate I don't even have a catalogue for that anymore. "it's a perfectly good car, I've had it since it was new and you're telling me to just throw it away cos you can't get parts for it anymore!??"

Yesss, this is so true... I remember a guy whinging to me in 1992 when I was at Holden that he could'nt buy any new body panels for his HR PREMIER.. He said to me over the phone ''what am I supposed to do burn my Holden and buy a Ford''...
Old 09-12-2013, 05:41 PM   #13
snailbate
snailbate

I feel for parts interprters
I was one a long time ago it was with earth moving equipment
Terry
snailbate is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2013, 05:53 PM   #14
ute83
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ok I'll bite. As a mechanic I have come across a lot of useless parts interpreters as well.
ute83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 09-12-2013, 05:55 PM   #15
Kable72
Parts Interpreter

Not denying that they are out there. I talk to brain dead interpreters everyday and it ***** me more than talking to brain dead customers.
Old 09-12-2013, 06:07 PM   #16
Dave_CCP

I did trade spare parts for nearly 20 years and a lot of the trade is no better than retail customers.

Cheers
Dave.
Dave_CCP is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2013, 06:08 PM   #17
4vxc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Worked in spare parts for 7 years, felt like 20 years.
Had a middle aged women who seemed perfectly normal come in asking for parts for her Fairmont Ghia, I asked her what year bit she wasn't sure but said she bought it new around 2000.
I said no problem I will go outside and see what it is.
I came back and told her there were no Fairmont Ghia"s in the car park, she panicked and went out side and pointed to her car and said "thats my car there, why didn't you see it?"
I politely told her her car was a KH Ford Laser Ghia, she could not believe it.
4vxc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2013, 06:15 PM   #18
ute83
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_CCP View Post
I did trade spare parts for nearly 20 years and a lot of the trade is no better than retail customers.

Cheers
Dave.
Got to give them credit for having a go at a trade but.
ute83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2013, 06:15 PM   #19
GTP-RPD
GTP-RPD

You mean like the spare parts guy at holden that would not sell me wiper refills but insisted I spend $75 per side for new wiper arm heads that had new blades in them. had to provide VIN, etc etc.....JEEEZUS!!!

I walked around to service and said need 2 new wiper refills. Supplied by service and fitted by yours tuely.
GTP-RPD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2013, 06:22 PM   #20
Dave_CCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ute83 View Post
Got to give them credit for having a go at a trade but.
True, it's tough gig on both sides of the counter and on the tools.

Cheers
Dave.

PS: I am a mechanic by trade so I have seen that side of it too.
Dave_CCP is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2013, 07:19 PM   #21
stevz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4vxc View Post
Had a middle aged women who seemed perfectly normal come in asking for parts for her Fairmont Ghia, I asked her what year bit she wasn't sure but said she bought it new around 2000.
I came back and told her there were no Fairmont Ghia"s in the car park, she panicked and went out side and pointed to her car and said "thats my car there, why didn't you see it?"
That's hilarious.
stevz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2013, 07:44 PM   #22
Ford_The_Win
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4vxc View Post
Reminds me of a guy once that came after some part for his 1995 Pajero. It turned out he had a 1998 Toyota Prado.
Old 09-12-2013, 07:54 PM   #23
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAussieStig30 View Post
As I get ready for another week of it, I'll share some frustrations of the last week and make you feel better in your job.
Speaking from the other side of the counter I've encountered the best and the worst of spare parts guys.

I used to own a couple of V12 Jags and getting bits was usually painless with my regular guy at Auto One.

I'd walk in with, say, a radiator hose, and knowing that he didn't stock Jag bits Bill would look at it, wander out the back and come back with one that had Mitsubishi/Toyota/Anything stamped on it, he'd say that if I trim this hose a bit no problems. The man was a brilliant spares guy.

Shop 2, no names (but they sponsored a huge mountain race in NSW.) and the conversation went something like.....

Shop assistant......... Can I help?

Me..I don't think so, I'm actually after a steering wheel boss to fit a Momo steering wheel to an XJ12 Jag.

Shop assistant........long pause..........Hmmm, who makes Momo?

Me... Speechless !
Old 09-12-2013, 08:03 PM   #24
hoodedaxeman

Had a lady tell me how good her new car was
What type of car was it?
A white one!
hoodedaxeman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2013, 09:54 PM   #25
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoodedaxeman View Post
Had a lady tell me how good her new car was
What type of car was it?
A white one!
i'm sure you've seen this one
Old 09-12-2013, 09:56 PM   #26
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

For all you service staff on the receiving end of the customer, actually working on the cars sucks *** too guys so forget about that dream of swinging spanners on cars for a living and do something else, all that happens is your hobby turns into hatred.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2013, 10:44 PM   #27
TheAussieStig30

I've been in the game for 15 years, on and off, I started out as a 16 year old kid doing 3 days in spares and 4 days in a workshop, hoping one would lead to a trade, but it didn't, anyway. I used to be annoyed with the 'can I see the boss' line for a guy to ask for a H4. It still happens now, they have to see the boss, then they ask for a gasket for a Clevo I could pick out blindfolded.

That little rant there reminds me of a guy who "has built more Cleveland's than I've had hot dinners, nothing you can tell me, I know it all son" yeah, whatever. Buys 2 head gaskets and 2 inlets. Rings back fuming at the boss because that idiot with a beard sold me 2 left head gaskets and 2 left inlets. The fact that they're the same head didn't dawn upon him, and even after being told to rotate it, he still insisted there was left and right.

The story about swapping hoses is a good one, I keep 5/8 heater hose on the shelf bulk, if it's Sunday and you blow a heater hose, you can loop the bastard around enough to get you home. I had a guy come in with about 6 inches of 5/8 with a very slight bend at the end. I pull out the bulk hose, no, he wants this hose. He's stuck and needs it. Wouldn't accept any of my pre bent 5/8 hoses I keep with various bends, even though one would have been within 5 degrees of what he wanted. It was off a late model something, and after being to repco, auto one, supercreeps and another independent, he lobs in my shop and wastes 10 minutes of my time. I told him he must like where he was, because he won't find one within 300km of here, at his local dealers. Walked out in a daze, holding his hose.

Obviously, there's the good ones too. A guy works on commodores, and services a few pensioners cars and a few people who are down on their luck, either for nothing, or next to nothing, he'll come in, say what he needs, read a catalogue, get his stuff, pay, leave. No issues, no quibble over price, nothing.

Suppliers are my major headache at the moment. So many parts turning up nil stocked, slow bloody turn around time because of Xmas, couriers on a go slow, oh well, think of the money.
Old 09-12-2013, 11:23 PM   #28
GREGL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The line that always puts me on high alert is " what is the best price you can do ? " . 9 times out of 10 these are the ones that will tie up your time on the phone , and most likely to return with a problem down the track and expect you to rectify it at no cost .
I had a workmate who was building a street machine ( and when finished did make the cover of Street commodores ) who would ALWAYS be ringing around for parts and the first thing he'd ask is what's the best price you can do ? Must work for some I suppose but I find it a bit rude .
GREGL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2013, 11:34 PM   #29
jrfttf
Getting By!?

When i did the parts gig for my 7 years i had a no vin no serve policy for the korean **** boxes (kia)

Was a very frustrating job, between the know it all blow in's off the street, to the so called "professional" parts fitters/lubeys (don't deserve to be called mechanics as been a mechanic is a skilled trade) im glad im not part of it anymore

A personal favourite was a lady that was after a wheel, she got the ***** with me cause she wasn't sure if her wheel was steel or alloy, and also wasn't sure what her car was. she could only tell me a falcon and it was an older one. She told me that i should be able to tell her which one was her's. That was the day my crystal ball must not have been working....
jrfttf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2013, 12:07 AM   #30
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

It would be easier if you could still buy spare parts catalogues; most places love it when I send the missus off to get a part armed with a printout with the part number and part picture highlighted. I have parts catalogues paper and/or microfiche for all my past cars (CM Valiant, Mini Moke, GC Galant, LC Lancer, EH Holden, KB Centura, NB. NC Fairlanes, EF and EL Falcons) but I doubt I will ever be able to get one for the 2 FGs I just bought.